1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Melodrama in a fish tank- NOW WITH 100% LEGAL FISH REPRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Morm, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

That pond is awesome
  2. Morm

Morm

wait til the japanese grass(???) and the other shit starts blooming in the shallows and the Hyacinth is going insane on the surface. It's so good that I catch dragonfly larvae in it and diving beetles swarm it. My dad has put a lot of money and effort into it, it's amazing. The largest fish is like 11 years old (the big female)!!

Thanks, I'll let him know a guy I have seen around on a pokemon forum with a tyranitar avatar likes his pond!!

edit: Jesus fuck, since Muscles descended to the bottom the newts, all three of them, have been losing their shit. I've even seen them strike at him. I think the shrimp that was lost was probably lost because it was in peril from a bad shed or they caught it while it was tagmatizing. I think they can smell this shit, they are going NUTS. CAMERA AT THE READY GUYS, LETS HOPE MUSCLES STEPS UP TO THE PLATE AND KNOCKS THESE FUCKERS OUT OF THE PARK.

HOLY FUCK MUSCLES JUST LOST HIS RIGHT GIANT ARM. I hope someone doesn't die tonight. Wow.
  3. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

He should be okay, seeing that Vamps don't use their big claws to feed (at least not that I know of).
  4. Morm

Morm

I know, but it's depressing because they are WHY he's named muscles. He's taking too long to tagmatize, he might die overnight :(

edit: he's a FAST motherfucking, wow. By the time I could catch him he was so tired I could pick him up...and he honestly was still soft. 6+ hours and he can't deal, I might be shipping him off to my brothers shebunkin tank and replacing him with more ferdinands.
  5. gookie

gookie Administrator
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

IS MUSCLES OKAY =(???
  6. Morm

Morm

he's in a tank by himself, my brother is a tool and might not take him as he's desperate to protect his 6 dollar shebunkin goldfish from a shrimp that cowers at all movement.

Edit: Nevermind. The rocks i put in his small tank fell overnight and crushed him as he was too soft to survive. If only he had actually tagmatized or perhaps if I hadn't moved the tank so I wouldn't kick it (it was beside my bed on the floor) and knock the rocks over! Man it's like all the stars and gods and anything else people ascribe to fate and whatever wanted muscles to die!

Subsequently, one of the ferdinands shed this morning as well. Not only did it go unnoticed, but he is quietly tagmatizing without any complications, the newts don't seem to care about the littler shrimp. I just realized that the colder temperatures is likely what fucked with his tagmatization...he could never hack it in here anyways, the other shrimp do far better. I just liked muscles cause he was my only muscley shrimp!
  7. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Sounds very awesome. Be sure to bring photos :D
  8. VKCA

VKCA (Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

:(
    pauvre muscles.
  9. gookie

gookie Administrator
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

rip muscles. forgive me for being a nab, but what exactly does tagmatizing mean? i'm guessing it's something to do with a natural form of invertebrate cauterization?
  10. Morm

Morm

uhhh invertebrates don't cauterize. Tagmatization means hardening of the cuticle (shell) after a shed.
  11. gookie

gookie Administrator

it was as good a guess as i could have made. did you kick the tank in your sleep or something? ;o
  12. Phadunk

Phadunk

you have an amazing display there. enjoyed the PB videos.
  13. Morm

Morm

when i moved the tank to avoid jarring it the rocks fell. Preventative measures fucked me over!

Thanks Phadunk
  14. Chubbs

Chubbs

Hey Morm, what sort of aquarium glass would be needed to contain a Pistol and/or Mantis Shrimp? I have heard stories of Mantis Shrimps fucking the shit out of aquariums that have toughened glass in them and I was wondering if these stories are actually true.

Oh and my snake shed a few nights ago again and it had bits stuck on it afterwards, but it appeared to realize something was stuck to it because it went back around the vivarium and went through its own shed to clean itself. It was pretty cool.
  15. Morm

Morm

The stories actually are true. I have no idea what kind of glass would be needed for a mantis shrimp. Pistol shrimp are bitches, they just make a gunshot like noise and run off, mantis shrimps give the flying elbow.

it went through its own shed? like how?
  16. Arcticblast

Arcticblast It hasn't been as nice at night these last few days
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Pistol shrimp create shockwaves that can actually shatter tough glass. They also create light with these waves. Without bioluminescence. Don't keep them.
  17. Morm

Morm

badass
  18. gookie

gookie Administrator

god damn i read about them a while back in a cracked article, but still, god damn
  19. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

I think acrylic with an extra sheet of plexiglass on the bottom of the tank (as most mantis shrimps are burrowers) can suffice. However, it depends on the shrimp: spearer mantis shrimps come nowhere close to even scratching the glass, and only larger speices of "clubber" mantis shrimp can crack aquarium glass, such as the peacock.
  20. Morm

Morm

peacocks are the prettiest though :(
  21. Chubbs

Chubbs

It came out of the front of it's shed and then went around in a circle and went through the back end of the shed (it was having trouble shedding so it came off in one half and lot of it peeled) and out of the head end again, leaving it clean. I would post a vid but it happened when my phone wasn't on me.
  22. Morm

Morm

I wonder if it was an intentional choice by the snake or if it just so happened to do it?
  23. Chubbs

Chubbs

It only did it once so I am guessing it was intentional. The snake also had quite a bit of shed on it which is not exactly an advantage due to risk of disease/making hunting harder, so the behavior might have evolved over the course of evolution. That and the snake had some shed on its nose that didn't come off properly and it was trying to clean that off too.

Also, this is the same snake whose eye didn't shed properly before (I mentioned it a couple pages back) and it's eye is now fine :D. The clouded scale must have come off when it shed.
  24. Morm

Morm

I just can't see why it wouldn't rub against something with more substance to it instead of using the old shed again?
  25. Chubbs

Chubbs

It probably used the shed because it is the same dimensions as its body, resulting in all the substantial pieces of shed coming off almost instantly. I am also perplexed by it as well, as I have never seen a snake exhibit suck behavior before. I think that an experiment might be in order to try and determine whether it was using the shed deliberately because it was a shed or if it was simply looking for an object that it could use to clean itself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)