Meloetta (Offensive Calm Mind) [QC 2/3]

Meloetta is one of the Secret Legendaries from gen 5 only available through download event. Why they do this I'm not sure.

[SET]
Name: Offensive Calm Mind
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Psychic
Move 3: Focus Blast
Move 4: Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
Item: Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spa / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Calm Mind is here as the boosting move. With Meloetta's base 128 Special Attack, you really only need one boost to start sweeping.
• Psyshock functions as your main STAB move and allows you to bypass special walls. Psychic may be chosen instead for a stronger STAB, but it makes you more vulnerable to special walls.
• Focus Blast is chosen to deal with Steel types and Dark types, which resist or are immune to Psyshock.
• Shadow Ball is used to hit through Psychic types that may otherwise cause Meloetta concern.
• Dazzling Gleam may be used instead to hit Spiritomb, though against other Dark Types Focus Blast is a better option.

Set details
========

• Maximum Special Attack for Maximum Damage output.
• Maximum Speed and Timid to make full use of Meloetta's Speed tier.
• 4 Defence to improve Meloetta's weaker Defence stat.
• Colbur Berry somewhat alleviates Meloetta's crippling Dark Weakness, allowing it to take a Knock Off, Sucker Punch, or Pursuit more easily.

Usage Tips
========

• Meloetta's Calm Mind set holding a Colbur Berry puts large pressure on any team that relies on Dark-Types to beat it.
• Despite the Psychic typing, Meloetta is not a suitable Fighting Resist because of its Normal Typing.
• For more defensive-minded teams using Meloetta as a win condition, Substitute is recommended.
• In a team with multiple Psychic types, Meloetta can lure in pursuit users if it has its Colbur berry, though this is risky.
• Calm Mind Meloetta with Colbur Berry is best suited to offence teams that get pressured by sneasel, as it can lure Sneasel while still retaining Meloetta's primary strengths.
• With Meloetta's base 128 Special Attack, Meloetta only needs one boost after bulkier teams have been weakened to act as a win condition

Team options
========

• Fighting types like Virizion, Medicham, and Sawk are appreciated to remove Dark type threats to Meloetta.
• Dark types are a solid option for a partner to Meloetta to remove opposing psychic types that might otherwise give Meloetta trouble.
• Meloetta can sometimes fail to one-shot bulkier Pokémon at +1, therefore some form of residual damage like Stealth Rock or Will-o-Wisp can help. A Will-o-Wisp spreader can also artificially boost Meloetta's relatively weaker Physical Bulk.
• Meloetta has no recovery and is prone to being worn down, but can often boost itself easily during a match, so Wish support may be used to give Meloetta more life throughout the match. However, Wish support is better used on defensive teams than offensive teams.
• Meloetta can partner well with other psychic types by being a psychic type capable of luring in and removing other dark types, opening the door for them to sweep.

Last edited:
Calm Mind is here as the boosting move. With Meloetta's base 128 Special Attack, you really only need one boost to start sweeping.
I feel like it is commonly misconceived that every Pokemon that can viably run Calm Mind or Swords Dance effectively is automatically a decent set up sweeper. I haven't played RU in a long time, but any set similar to Calm Mind Meloetta is more likely meant to be used to put pressure on defensive teams than be a set up sweeper. Sweeping teams with Calm Mind without blistering speed is very unlikely to happen against offensive teams but possible against balanced teams and workable against defensive teams with the right support. This needs to be emphasized in some degree of manner in this analysis, for Calm Mind Meloetta should not be blanket labelled a set up sweeper.

Hyper Voice is an extremely strong Spammable normal STAB, but it can open up switch-in opportunities. If you are using Hyper Voice as your STAB, it is recommended to use Dazzling Gleam. If you are using Psyshock as your STAB, use Shadow Ball.
This sounds like it belongs in the moves section in terms of describing what to use with what. Specify when describing Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam in the moves section what moves should be used with what.

Meloetta has no recovery and is prone to being worn down, but can often boost itself easily during a match, so Wish support may be used to give Meloetta more life throughout the match.
You should clarify this statement and state that Wish support is an option for teams that are not completely reliant on offensive pressure (ie balance teams). Offensive teams are not going to want to run something like Alomomola or Aromatisse because they kill offensive momentum too easily.

I think that you should switch out psyshock for shadow ball. way better move for Meloetta and can help with most of her counters
If you are implying a set in which no STAB move is run, I think that in a very poor option. Psyshock is also extremely beneficial to have on Meloetta, as it lets it reliably beat Sigilyph and Virizion in Calm Mind wars and also just provides Meloetta with a way to smack stuff like AV pokemon. I would not implement this change.

I feel like it is commonly misconceived that every Pokemon that can viably run Calm Mind or Swords Dance effectively is automatically a decent set up sweeper. I haven't played RU in a long time, but any set similar to Calm Mind Meloetta is more likely meant to be used to put pressure on defensive teams than be a set up sweeper. Sweeping teams with Calm Mind without blistering speed is very unlikely to happen against offensive teams but possible against balanced teams and workable against defensive teams with the right support. This needs to be emphasized in some degree of manner in this analysis, for Calm Mind Meloetta should not be blanket labelled a set up sweeper.

This sounds like it belongs in the moves section in terms of describing what to use with what. Specify when describing Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam in the moves section what moves should be used with what.

You should clarify this statement and state that Wish support is an option for teams that are not completely reliant on offensive pressure (ie balance teams). Offensive teams are not going to want to run something like Alomomola or Aromatisse because they kill offensive momentum too easily.
Implimented these.

I like Dazzling Gleam a lot more on this set than Shadow Ball. Part of the reason why you use this set is it lures Dark-types, and Dazzling Gleam allows you to hit Sneasel 100% of the time while also hitting Spiritomb. I wouldn't want my Dark-type lure to only work 70% of the time. Of course, missing out on Hoopa really sucks, but it's a price I'm generally willing to pay if I'm using Colbur Meloetta.

You say in Usage Tips that this set is really good at pressuring defensive teams, but other Melo sets generally pressure defensive teams better. Change it to, Colbur Melo pressures teams that rely on Dark-types to beat it.

Also in Usage Tips, mention that this set is generally more suited towards offense teams as they often get pressured by Sneasel, and this set helps a lot with Sneasel while still offering most of the nice characteristics Meloetta has (offensive threat, soft checks most offensive attackers, decent Speed, etc)

QC 1/3

I like Dazzling Gleam a lot more on this set than Shadow Ball. Part of the reason why you use this set is it lures Dark-types, and Dazzling Gleam allows you to hit Sneasel 100% of the time while also hitting Spiritomb. I wouldn't want my Dark-type lure to only work 70% of the time. Of course, missing out on Hoopa really sucks, but it's a price I'm generally willing to pay if I'm using Colbur Meloetta.

You say in Usage Tips that this set is really good at pressuring defensive teams, but other Melo sets generally pressure defensive teams better. Change it to, Colbur Melo pressures teams that rely on Dark-types to beat it.

Also in Usage Tips, mention that this set is generally more suited towards offense teams as they often get pressured by Sneasel, and this set helps a lot with Sneasel while still offering most of the nice characteristics Meloetta has (offensive threat, soft checks most offensive attackers, decent Speed, etc)

QC 1/3
Implimented these.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Moves]

- Be sure to reword this section a bit in write-up to reflect Dazzling Gleam being the overall better move regardless

[Team Options]

- Note how well this Meloetta can stack with other Psychic-types like Sigilyph and Delphox by opening a door for them to sweep thanks to Colbur Berry + Focus Blast and Dazzling Gleam

Good stuff Miyami~~ QC Approved 2/3

phantom

Banned deucer.
remove the hyper voice slash

replace psyshock with psychic since its better vs alomomola and physically bulky pokemon in general

colbur berry isn't meant to "lure" anything. you don't use resist berries as lures, they're meant to keep the pokemon from being picked off while its trying to sweep or to not be taken out by certain coverage moves. shadow ball is also much better than dgleam due to its ability to hit slowking and other psychic-types, so i'd prefer if it was made the primary slash again, and dgleam, aside from accuracy concerns, has mostly redundant coverage with focus blast & psychic.

the set should be this basically: calm mind / psychic / focus blast / shadow ball | dazzling gleam

Reactions: rau
[Moves]

- Be sure to reword this section a bit in write-up to reflect Dazzling Gleam being the overall better move regardless

[Team Options]

- Note how well this Meloetta can stack with other Psychic-types like Sigilyph and Delphox by opening a door for them to sweep thanks to Colbur Berry + Focus Blast and Dazzling Gleam

Good stuff Miyami~~ QC Approved 2/3
Implimented these.

replace psyshock with psychic since its better vs alomomola and physically bulky pokemon in general

colbur berry isn't meant to "lure" anything. you don't use resist berries as lures, they're meant to keep the pokemon from being picked off while its trying to sweep or to not be taken out by certain coverage moves. shadow ball is also much better than dgleam due to its ability to hit slowking and other psychic-types, so i'd prefer if it was made the primary slash again, and dgleam, aside from accuracy concerns, has mostly redundant coverage with focus blast & psychic.

the set should be this basically: calm mind / psychic / focus blast / shadow ball | dazzling gleam
Implimented these.

Err, is this QC 3/3? Or am I still waiting for someone to do it before I start GP?

This analysis isn't written though. It needs to be written before it receives a 3rd QC check (that was likely an oversight on Spirit's part, please do not flag me if this is considered junior modding).

Miyami~~ I have stated before that Calm Mind Meloetta is not an effective setup sweeper; it does not have the speed to do such. Calm Mind Meloetta is meant to exert pressure against more balanced and defensive teams once its checks have been weakened or removed. You mention "Calm Mind is here as the boosting move. With Meloetta's base 128 Special Attack, you really only need one boost to start sweeping.", which is a highly misleading claim. Reword "With Meloetta's base...." to "With Meloetta's base 128 Special Attack, Meloetta only needs one boost after bulkier teams have been weakened to act as a win condition", which is a more accurate description of how Calm Mind Meloetta actually works.

Hi Miyami said I could write up the set and take it through GP! (check his profile) If that's alright with you guys. I'll make a new thread for this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)