OU Meloetta

First of, I'm really really sorry for the too late reply. I've just came back home and have been without internet for a few days.
Okay, here's what you have to do to make this analysis more presentable:

Overview
Stress that this thing is a pretty good switch-in to non-SubToxic Aegislash—without Iron Head, Aegislash cannot really threaten it.

Decent's not the word you're looking for, try "mediocre" or "below-average."

This point is largely nullified by the fact that only two of Meloetta's coverage attacks have a chance to lower Special Defense. Although Serene Grace is by no means a poor ability, Meloetta can't really utilize it to the point where it's truly a selling point.
I'll stress that any non-subtoxic or Iron head Aegislash is litterarly a free switch in for Meloetta, or it have at least been that for me.
Ok I'll change my statement about its ability
The Set ItselfI'd like to hear about what you think of Assault Vest you've tested it out. Is it slash-worthy? I think it appears so, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I think that Assault Vest is really worth slashing as an item option, it can be really helpfull with that extra bulk if you can mountain hazard controll. but it's easier like stated to waer down with hazards
Set DetailsLike what? Mention more Pokemon by name, like 252 Speed Neutral-natured Kyurem-B, or Adamant Charizard X.

Does this get any specific OHKOs or 2HKOs? What can you no longer outspeed?

Again, be a little more specific here. Also, you mention that Meloetta functions as a wallbreaker in the usage tips below. Without Life Orb, Meloetta isn't that great at wallbreaking anymore.
I'll bring a better updated list with more specific mons that you can outspeed or misses an 2HKO on.

Usage TipsJust be a little more specific here, you use very general terms like "Dark-types," "opposing tanks," and "weaker special attacks." Give some examples and beef this up a bit.

Also the point about wallbreaking I made above applies here, too.

Team OptionsWhere are the Fairy-types? Also, remove Justified Lucario. It's far too frail to consistently check Dark-types.

Spikes too! Check out this important calc:
252+ SpA Life Orb Meloetta Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 246-290 (38.3 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

As with any mention of Stealth Rock or Spikes-stacking, mention Defiant users (particularly since Meloetta tends to function best on offensive teams).

You mentioned in usage tips that Meloetta is a good wallbreaker. If so, where are the teammates that appreciate wallbreakers?
Like I said before I'll summ up this a little more with more examples, on the first hand I thought of Bisharp and Tyranitar.
Totaly forgot about the fairy-types, I'll add some like Clefable.
yea I'm going to see if it's anything else that you can 2HKO with spikes and add those examples.
When it commes to teamates that can appreciate its work then I would say things like Keldeo, MegaCharX, DD MegaTTAr, BU Talonflame and such things.
Other Options
Mention that not hitting Dark-types like Bisharp and Tyranitar as hard is a HUGE downside of using Dazzling Gleam.

Hidden Power Fire should only really be considered for getting past Scizor. Apart from that, it's a poor choice for a coverage move and certainly doesn't cover what Focus Blast does.

Mention Thunderbolt for hitting Skarmory and Mandibuzz extremely hard, and Thunder for Rain Teams (60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace).

Checks and Counters
Remove mention of Blissey, it's outclassed by Chansey.

Remove Lucario.

Fix all of this and I'll give you a stamp.
I'll add the mention to Dazzeling Gleam, and add HP Fire for Scizor, I havn't had much problem with it but sure.
Thanks that was my reason for using it before, it feels like I havn't seen Madibuzz for ages. and I'll mention Thunder for rain teams.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Hey I've been toying with Meloetta for a bit, and I think Assault Vest is definitely legit on it. Although it doesnt have any exceptional traits that an aV user might love such as Regenerator, or Rapid Spin it has a very impressive raw special bulk, and, it has a pretty good offensive presence.

One of its nice traits is it almost totally counters AEgislash but also it just has an assload of sdef so it can kinda inserted into teams that really struggle against powerful special attackers inlcuding but not limited to Greninja, Thundurus, Charizard Y, Mega Garde, Lando-I, AEgislash, Latios and Thundurus. Of course lack of healing, hazards and such will render it easy to wear down and unable to counter these pokemon truly, but it is a tool that can be used to a decent effect to protect these teams against just taking a straight up loss if the opponent gets momentum with their strong special attacker. With 128 SpA Mel can actually hit back, and has a dual STAB that hits phys def and sdef so even though it ofc can be walled straight up, it isn't a total sitting duck like more defensive AV users, or easy to switch into like other offensive ones.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 144-171 (38.1 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 122-146 (32.3 - 38.7%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta in Sun: 169-199 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 144 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 149-177 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 144 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 156-187 (41.3 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The spread I used was 144 Hp / 252 SpA+ / 112 SpA which is enough to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, letting you at least force the 50/50 between pursuit or sucker cuz you have focus blast. It outspeed Jolly Ttar which may seem irrelevant but it can let you get a hit in on it with Focus Blast before it evolves, and it was a couple points extra, so w/e.

As for the moveset I did like Psyshock / Hyper Voice / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball. T-bolt has uses, but I really like the ability to hit with dual STAB on both ends of the defenses. If your opponent was carrying say, a Physically defensive HIppowdon and Specially defensive Clefable, then if you were carrying either just Psychic or Psyshock then one of the two could actually wall you, however..

252+ SpA Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 210-247 (50 - 58.8%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 186-219 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

so yeah, its not super easy to wall Mel, which is admirable for an AV user. AV Mel is by no means a wallbreaker, let me make this clear, but it is a clear improvement over something like Conkeldurr who even offensive staples like Azumarill or Pinsir really dont give a fuck about, much less defensive! So, in summation I would like either AV to replace Leftovers in the main set, and a secondary bulky spread mentioned in Set Details or a new set written up. I didn't use Life Orb at all, it odesnt seem that hot, but AV imo can be useful and AV really just seems to outclass Leftovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: trc
Hey I've been toying with Meloetta for a bit, and I think Assault Vest is definitely legit on it. Although it doesnt have any exceptional traits that an aV user might love such as Regenerator, or Rapid Spin it has a very impressive raw special bulk, and, it has a pretty good offensive presence.

One of its nice traits is it almost totally counters AEgislash but also it just has an assload of sdef so it can kinda inserted into teams that really struggle against powerful special attackers inlcuding but not limited to Greninja, Thundurus, Charizard Y, Mega Garde, Lando-I, AEgislash, Latios and Thundurus. Of course lack of healing, hazards and such will render it easy to wear down and unable to counter these pokemon truly, but it is a tool that can be used to a decent effect to protect these teams against just taking a straight up loss if the opponent gets momentum with their strong special attacker. With 128 SpA Mel can actually hit back, and has a dual STAB that hits phys def and sdef so even though it ofc can be walled straight up, it isn't a total sitting duck like more defensive AV users, or easy to switch into like other offensive ones.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 144-171 (38.1 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 122-146 (32.3 - 38.7%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta in Sun: 169-199 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 144 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 149-177 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 144 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 156-187 (41.3 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The spread I used was 144 Hp / 252 SpA+ / 112 SpA which is enough to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, letting you at least force the 50/50 between pursuit or sucker cuz you have focus blast. It outspeed Jolly Ttar which may seem irrelevant but it can let you get a hit in on it with Focus Blast before it evolves, and it was a couple points extra, so w/e.

As for the moveset I did like Psyshock / Hyper Voice / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball. T-bolt has uses, but I really like the ability to hit with dual STAB on both ends of the defenses. If your opponent was carrying say, a Physically defensive HIppowdon and Specially defensive Clefable, then if you were carrying either just Psychic or Psyshock then one of the two could actually wall you, however..
252+ SpA Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 210-247 (50 - 58.8%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 186-219 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

so yeah, its not super easy to wall Mel, which is admirable for an AV user. AV Mel is by no means a wallbreaker, let me make this clear, but it is a clear improvement over something like Conkeldurr who even offensive staples like Azumarill or Pinsir really dont give a fuck about, much less defensive! So, in summation I would like either AV to replace Leftovers in the main set, and a secondary bulky spread mentioned in Set Details or a new set written up. I didn't use Life Orb at all, it odesnt seem that hot, but AV imo can be useful and AV really just seems to outclass Leftovers.
well looks like I'm not the only one that have tried a little bulkier Meloetta, but your spread is better then mine. When it comes to items I would say AV > Life Orb > leftovers. but I just cannot help and fell that AV just outclasses LO, the extra bulk is so much better most of the times and I even get more times to switch in then with LO. Unless someone wants to protest I would like to swap out the all out attacker set with the AV set. Thoughts on this?

also your suggested spread beats most of the special attackers in the tier 1v1, I've to say that it's impressive.

Ash Borer

Yeah definitely implement AV, and if you feel as if Life Orb and Lefties just arent up to par then you can remove them.

Yeah definitely implement AV, and if you feel as if Life Orb and Lefties just arent up to par then you can remove them.
I'm going to expand Set Details and Usage Tips tomorrow, but the rest have been implanted now. Life Orb got removed to Other Options and I'll add a 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef spread too. Any other change will get done tomorrow.

Ash Borer

stamping this, looks pretty good, wondering if T-bolt needs a slash or not still, but whatever. Take it from other options and put it in moves, imo, it deals with Skarm/Mandi, and gets some other nice super effective hits.

QC 2/4

More of a nitpick than anything, but I think you need to put a little more emphasis on just how specially bulk Meloetta is. "Good special bulk" is a bit of an understatement. 100 / 128 special bulk is incredible in its own right, and when boosted by the Assault Vest, Meloetta reaches disgustingly high levels of bulk. For instance, it's capable of avoiding the 4HKO from Black Sludge Gengar's Sludge Bomb, it can take a Life Orb Draco Meteor from Latios with more than half its health remaining, and it's only 2HKOed by Modest Choice Specs Exploud's Boomburst 0.4% of the time. I've honesty found that Meloetta's amazing special bulk is one of the biggest incentives to use it, so I think that should be emphasized a little more.

Also, maybe drop 8 HP EVs for SpD? Not a huge deal, but it does drop Stealth Rock/Spikes damage by 1 point (useful when you don't have Leftovers) and helps take a couple of hits a little more easily (i.e. the aforementioned Specs Exploud now fails to 2HKO). Unfortunately, it also gives Gengar a tiny chance to 4HKO with Sludge Bomb, but chances are that the 30% chance to poison was going to mess up that calculation anyway. It's really up to you, though. I'm just really particular about EV spreads.

stamping this, looks pretty good, wondering if T-bolt needs a slash or not still, but whatever. Take it from other options and put it in moves, imo, it deals with Skarm/Mandi, and gets some other nice super effective hits.

QC 2/4
Thanks. I left Thunder in OO because rain teams are not that common.

More of a nitpick than anything, but I think you need to put a little more emphasis on just how specially bulk Meloetta is. "Good special bulk" is a bit of an understatement. 100 / 128 special bulk is incredible in its own right, and when boosted by the Assault Vest, Meloetta reaches disgustingly high levels of bulk. For instance, it's capable of avoiding the 4HKO from Black Sludge Gengar's Sludge Bomb, it can take a Life Orb Draco Meteor from Latios with more than half its health remaining, and it's only 2HKOed by Modest Choice Specs Exploud's Boomburst 0.4% of the time. I've honesty found that Meloetta's amazing special bulk is one of the biggest incentives to use it, so I think that should be emphasized a little more.

Also, maybe drop 8 HP EVs for SpD? Not a huge deal, but it does drop Stealth Rock/Spikes damage by 1 point (useful when you don't have Leftovers) and helps take a couple of hits a little more easily (i.e. the aforementioned Specs Exploud now fails to 2HKO). Unfortunately, it also gives Gengar a tiny chance to 4HKO with Sludge Bomb, but chances are that the 30% chance to poison was going to mess up that calculation anyway. It's really up to you, though. I'm just really particular about EV spreads.
Sure I can I'll emphasis Meloettas special bulk even more, just as a fun trivial fact, but with Assault Vest you have a base 201 SpD, that's quite a lot. And I'll also change the spread so you take that one less damage, Thanks for the suggestion.

Ash Borer

Going to post this here. Mel's viability is being suspected, so, to QC and GP members, attend to other stuff rist before we reach a conclusion.

Can you mention U-turn in moves? It can be detrimental by making hazard damage stack up on Meloetta, but it's also a great move to grab momentum after forcing out special attackers. Not really worth the coverage of Shadow Ball, but a cool move worth mentioning.

In the mention of Relic Song Meloetta-P in OO, change Psyshock out for Zen Headbutt, no point in running that when you have a physical move available. Either that or Psychic if it should be special. And add a mention of Leftovers, it doesn't appear anywhere in the analysis since you took it off the main set.

In C&C, work in Clefable and faster physical attackers.

Other than that, really nicely done, let's get this to GP.

Stamp.gif

QC 3/3

Can you mention U-turn in moves? It can be detrimental by making hazard damage stack up on Meloetta, but it's also a great move to grab momentum after forcing out special attackers. Not really worth the coverage of Shadow Ball, but a cool move worth mentioning.

In the mention of Relic Song Meloetta-P in OO, change Psyshock out for Zen Headbutt, no point in running that when you have a physical move available. Either that or Psychic if it should be special. And add a mention of Leftovers, it doesn't appear anywhere in the analysis since you took it off the main set.

In C&C, work in Clefable and faster physical attackers.

Other than that, really nicely done, let's get this to GP.

View attachment 13836

QC 3/3
Thanks I've implanted all the changes that you wanted.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ryuuki
add or change
remove
comments
Overview
########

With a unique typing and some nicely destributed distributed stats,(AC) Meloetta finds itself once more in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, it can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no priority attacks form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as there's also a lot of priority flying around in the OU metagame Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame now. But equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest,(AC) and you'll have a strong special attacker that can 2HKO or OHKO almost the entire metagame. It can also beat strong special attackers such as Charizard Y, Thundorus-I Thundurus-I, and Keldeo, or even Special Aegislash in a straight one vs one one on one situation,(AC) something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########
name: Assault Vest Attacker
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
ability: Serene Grace
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 112 Spe forgot a slash between HP and SpA

Moves
========

Psyshock is something that makes it stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack,(AC) but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat things Pokemon like Mega Venusaur and other Assault Vest users. With some prior damage done, Meloetta can also get past Chansey, something other special attackers struggle with. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits the Pokemon behind the opponent's Substitute, making Substitute a bad move to use for some pokemons Pokemon. Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks,(AC) but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of making short work of the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it should misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the option ability to beat Ghost-types who can otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their Normal-type immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a really common pokemon Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also have has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponents special defense opponent's Special Defense, making them either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would rather like prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also have has the benefit of possibly paralyzing the opponent, probably crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn is an other another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab the offensive momentum.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest is Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest becomes the better option. While equiped equipped, Meloetta is a total beast extremely bulky on the special side, only suffering a 30% risk having a 30% chance of getting 2HKOed by Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus-I's Earth Power,(AC) which isn't something many other offensive pokemons Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of offensive power and bulk. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still have has Sucker Punch,(AC) which means it really comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Pursuit Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta a good bulk and a good Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possbile on Stealth Rock possible,(AC) while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last 8 eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special defense bulk even higher further.

Usage Tips
========

Meloetta's sky-high (add hyphen) Special Defense makes it able enables it to shrug off any weak special attack, this should be used if you want to switch in which gives it plenty of switch-in opportunities. Meloetta is also able to beat almost any special attacker in the tier in a straight one on one fight one on on situation. Avoid getting caught by Dark-types as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if it misses Focus Blast if its Focus Blast misses. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict wrong incorrectly. Any Aegislash that's lacking that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in (add hyphen) for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. You However,(AC) Meloetta should also watch out for the SubToxic set from Aegislash,(AC) as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints due to with the combination of King's Sheild Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and pasive passive damage such as sandstorm or toxic poison will wears Meloetta down rapidly as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on Stealth Rock as it will hamper Meloetta's bulk wear Meloetta down.

Team Options
========

When it comes down to team support,(AC) a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an Attack boost every time it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack, and then it can hit back with STAB +1 Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also really likes having weakened walls that it can just break past with ease. Fairy-types (add hyphen) such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes entry hazard support in form of Stealth Rock too (realistically all entry hazard support is welcome, whether it be sticky web or spikes or w/e). Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOes on things Pokemon like Chansey and Umbreon and even turn 2HKOs into OHKOs. Deoxys-D, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock,(RC) and keep them down with ease while keeping them on the field with ease. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all good Pivots Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in (hyphen) for Meloetta,(AC) They can also help while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Sweepers in general pairs really well with Meloetta as they can sweep through weakened teams. Sweepers Pokemon such as Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

A set with Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Ball,(AC) and Close Combat with a Naive nature and an EV spread of 48 Atk / 252 SAtk SpA / 208 Speed can be used if you would rather like to use Meloetta's alternative form, but it struggles to be really effective in the OU metagame. Life Orb gives Meloetta even more power than Assault Vest and let's lets Meloetta break through even the toughest walls such as Chansey and Umbreon,(RC) and Assault Vest users easier more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vesst Vest if your team have has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field, but this will really hamper reduce your special bulk as and you'll now lose most one on ones. Dazzeling Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something that hits Dragon-,(RC) and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as you can cannot OHKO them, and it leaves Meloetta even weaker to Pursuit. A Calm Mind set can be used but Meloetta have has a hard time setting up and it's better to hit right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon,(AC) as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and together with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something if they get tricked and gets Choice Specs instead of their useful item once it has no need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting rid of past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it down with time. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team,(AC) as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace. As Thunder have a garanteed hit chance with greater power and a 60% chance to paralyze it may be game changing.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls** Special walls such as Chansey, Umbreon, and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Umbreon only fears Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.

**Dark-types** Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fears Focus Blast,(AC) but if it misses,(AC) it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful as Bisharp have has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types** Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fears Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health, otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Ferrothorn also really dislikes losing over 70% of its health from Focus Blast.

**Revenge Killers** Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp can all finish off Meloetta with their strong physical priority attacks. Faster physical pokemons Pokemon like Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, and Terrakion all outspeed Meloetta and can finish it off Meloetta with their strong STAB attacks.

This but is nicely done in terms of information, but there are quite a lot of changes that need to be made, so I'd like to refrain from stamping this until they have been addressed. Also, in the overview you state that Meloetta is one of the few special attackers that can beat Chansey, yet it is still mentioned in C+C that Chansey 'fears nothing from Meloetta'.

252+ SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 189-223 (26.8 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

tbh, I'd remove its mention in the overview, but it 2HKOes specially defensive Chansey so I'll leave it to you.

Ash Borer

use 4 hp / 252+ def / 252 sdef spread for chansey calcs that's the only real spread.

horyzhnz

still doesn't really let mel get past chansey tho

252+ SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 189-223 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 9.8% chance to 3HKO

Ryuuki
add or change
remove
comments
Overview
########

With a unique typing and some nicely destributed distributed stats,(AC) Meloetta finds itself once more in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, it can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no priority attacks form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as there's also a lot of priority flying around in the OU metagame Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame now. But equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest,(AC) and you'll have a strong special attacker that can 2HKO or OHKO almost the entire metagame. It can also beat strong special attackers such as Charizard Y, Thundorus-I Thundurus-I, and Keldeo, or even Special Aegislash in a straight one vs one one on one situation,(AC) something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########
name: Assault Vest Attacker
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
ability: Serene Grace
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 112 Spe forgot a slash between HP and SpA

Moves
========

Psyshock is something that makes it stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack,(AC) but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat things Pokemon like Mega Venusaur and other Assault Vest users. With some prior damage done, Meloetta can also get past Chansey, something other special attackers struggle with. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits the Pokemon behind the opponent's Substitute, making Substitute a bad move to use for some pokemons Pokemon. Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks,(AC) but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of making short work of the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it should misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the option ability to beat Ghost-types who can otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their Normal-type immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a really common pokemon Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also have has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponents special defense opponent's Special Defense, making them either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would rather like prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also have has the benefit of possibly paralyzing the opponent, probably crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn is an other another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab the offensive momentum.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest is Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest becomes the better option. While equiped equipped, Meloetta is a total beast extremely bulky on the special side, only suffering a 30% risk having a 30% chance of getting 2HKOed by Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus-I's Earth Power,(AC) which isn't something many other offensive pokemons Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of offensive power and bulk. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still have has Sucker Punch,(AC) which means it really comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Pursuit Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta a good bulk and a good Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possbile on Stealth Rock possible,(AC) while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last 8 eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special defense bulk even higher further.

Usage Tips
========

Meloetta's sky-high (add hyphen) Special Defense makes it able enables it to shrug off any weak special attack, this should be used if you want to switch in which gives it plenty of switch-in opportunities. Meloetta is also able to beat almost any special attacker in the tier in a straight one on one fight one on on situation. Avoid getting caught by Dark-types as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if it misses Focus Blast if its Focus Blast misses. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict wrong incorrectly. Any Aegislash that's lacking that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in (add hyphen) for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. You However,(AC) Meloetta should also watch out for the SubToxic set from Aegislash,(AC) as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints due to with the combination of King's Sheild Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and pasive passive damage such as sandstorm or toxic poison will wears Meloetta down rapidly as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on Stealth Rock as it will hamper Meloetta's bulk wear Meloetta down.

Team Options
========

When it comes down to team support,(AC) a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an Attack boost every time it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack, and then it can hit back with STAB +1 Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also really likes having weakened walls that it can just break past with ease. Fairy-types (add hyphen) such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes entry hazard support in form of Stealth Rock too (realistically all entry hazard support is welcome, whether it be sticky web or spikes or w/e). Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOes on things Pokemon like Chansey and Umbreon and even turn 2HKOs into OHKOs. Deoxys-D, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock,(RC) and keep them down with ease while keeping them on the field with ease. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all good Pivots Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in (hyphen) for Meloetta,(AC) They can also help while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Sweepers in general pairs really well with Meloetta as they can sweep through weakened teams. Sweepers Pokemon such as Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

A set with Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Ball,(AC) and Close Combat with a Naive nature and an EV spread of 48 Atk / 252 SAtk SpA / 208 Speed can be used if you would rather like to use Meloetta's alternative form, but it struggles to be really effective in the OU metagame. Life Orb gives Meloetta even more power than Assault Vest and let's lets Meloetta break through even the toughest walls such as Chansey and Umbreon,(RC) and Assault Vest users easier more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vesst Vest if your team have has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field, but this will really hamper reduce your special bulk as and you'll now lose most one on ones. Dazzeling Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something that hits Dragon-,(RC) and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as you can cannot OHKO them, and it leaves Meloetta even weaker to Pursuit. A Calm Mind set can be used but Meloetta have has a hard time setting up and it's better to hit right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon,(AC) as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and together with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something if they get tricked and gets Choice Specs instead of their useful item once it has no need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting rid of past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it down with time. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team,(AC) as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace. As Thunder have a garanteed hit chance with greater power and a 60% chance to paralyze it may be game changing.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls** Special walls such as Chansey, Umbreon, and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Umbreon only fears Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.

**Dark-types** Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fears Focus Blast,(AC) but if it misses,(AC) it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful as Bisharp have has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types** Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fears Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health, otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Ferrothorn also really dislikes losing over 70% of its health from Focus Blast.

**Revenge Killers** Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp can all finish off Meloetta with their strong physical priority attacks. Faster physical pokemons Pokemon like Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, and Terrakion all outspeed Meloetta and can finish it off Meloetta with their strong STAB attacks.

This but is nicely done in terms of information, but there are quite a lot of changes that need to be made, so I'd like to refrain from stamping this until they have been addressed. Also, in the overview you state that Meloetta is one of the few special attackers that can beat Chansey, yet it is still mentioned in C+C that Chansey 'fears nothing from Meloetta'.

252+ SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 189-223 (26.8 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

tbh, I'd remove its mention in the overview, but it 2HKOes specially defensive Chansey so I'll leave it to you.
Okej I've now implanted your changes with just one question about the following sentence: "Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks, but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of the opposing Dark-types." in my eyes it sounds like there's missing a word so I added "hitting", but if I'm wrong then I'll remove it.
The Chansey mentioning in the Overview where also removed due to the fact that it's only correct if you use life orb.

horyzhnz

yeah, i seem to have goofd in that part, i guess i slashed it and just moved on for some reason.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)