Meloetta

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Surprised not to see a Meloetta thread as it is an unreleased event, but never the less, here it is. It changes forms with Relic Song, to its Pirouette form. It can run physical as well as special sets. It gets Serene Grace for double hax as a nice touch.
Base stats:

Aria Forme: Normal / Psychic
HP: 100
Attack: 77
Defense: 77
Special Attack: 128
Special Defense: 128
Speed: 90
Non-existant attack, along with high special attack and special defense. Speed leaves something to be desired, but it has the bulk.

Pirouette Form: Normal / Fighting
HP: 100
Attack: 128
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 77
Special Defense: 77
Speed: 128
Slightly less 100 / 90 / 77 bulk, along with high attack and very high speed.

Possible sets:
Aria Form Special Attacker
Meloetta@ Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest
Psychic / Psyshock
Hyper Voice
Hidden Power Fire
Thunderbolt
Psychic or Psychock with Hyper Voice for STABs, Hidden Power Fire for steels, and Thunderbolt to round it out for perfect coverage. Life Orb or Expert Belt for a general attacker, Choice Specs to hit hard, and Choice Scarf to revenge kill.

Pirouette Form Physical Attacker
Meloetta@ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
Relic Song
Close Combat
Frustration
Stone Edge / U-Turn
Relic Song to change forme along with a 20% chance of sleep. Close Combat and Frustration are STABs, Stone Edge for everything else but Golurk. High speed to outspeed everything pretty much.

Mixed Attacker:
Meloetta@ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Hasty / Naive
Relic Song
Close Combat
Psychic
Frustration
This set aims to utilize both of Meloetta's forms with a mixed attacking set. The only coverage this set misses is on Sableye, Spiritomb, and Shedinja. Relic Song for form change and decent power, Close Combat and Frustration for physical STABs, and Psychic for special STAB. Hasty or Naive nature, based on preference.

Hone Claws:
Meloetta@ Life Orb / Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
Relic Song
Hone Claws
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Relic Song for forme change, Hone Claws to boost, Close Combat / Stone Edge for coverage.

Calm Mind:
Meloetta@ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe or 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Timid / Modest / Bold
Calm Mind
Psychic
Hyper Voice
Hidden Power Fighting
Calm Mind to boost, Psychic / Hyper Voice / Hidden Power Fighting for best coverage.

Specially Defensive:
Meloetta@ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm
Psychic / Hyper Voice
Perish Song
Toxic
Rest
Pick a STAB, Perish Song to force switches, Toxic to stall, Rest for recovery.

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Basically, the idea of the set is to set up multiple layers of hazards, and then spam Relic Song to force switches. Counters to Meloetta-A tend to be weak to Meloetta-P (Blissey, Snorlax, Tyranitar), while counters to Meloetta-P tend to be weak to Meloetta-A (Skarmory, Gliscor). The idea is to spam Relic Song and keep changing forms and stay one step ahead of the opposition. With these games going on, you can probably HP Ice a Gliscor or something like that and secure a sweep for Excadrill and stuff. With Fighting resists removed, Meloetta-P can handily clean up teams by itself as well. I give full credit for this set to shrang.

I hope those sets I threw together after looking at the movepool and stats and a brief description of each help with discussion below. Without further adieu, discuss!

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using this set:

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Basically, the idea of the set is to set up multiple layers of hazards, and then spam Relic Song to force switches. Counters to Meloetta-A tend to be weak to Meloetta-P (Blissey, Snorlax, Tyranitar), while counters to Meloetta-P tend to be weak to Meloetta-A (Skarmory, Gliscor). The idea is to spam Relic Song and keep changing forms and stay one step ahead of the opposition. With these games going on, you can probably HP Ice a Gliscor or something like that and secure a sweep for Excadrill and stuff. With Fighting resists removed, Meloetta-P can handily clean up teams by itself as well.

EDIT: Oh yea, the EVs used let you outspeed Adamant Lucario as Meloetta-A and Alakazam as Meloetta-P.

Yeah, I think the set shrang posted is the way to go. Meloetta can preform pretty well but it needs a lot of prediction to do so. It has to be able to relic song on dark switch ins, while thunderbolting/hidden powering flying types that try to switch in and intimidate it/kill it. It's definitely an interesting concept, and if you can play it right it can transform to handle anything thrown at it. Unfortunately, a pursuit weakness and the fact that it is vulnerable to all forms of hazards, and the fact that the individual forms are both easily forced out by the right pokemon brings it ever so close to that line between unique and gimmicky. It's certainly viable though and i think it has a lot of potential if people use it right.

Also it's legs are coming out of it's waist in song form it is hideously deformed.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think I'll add shrang's to the list of sets, also keep in mind the sets up top are sets I threw together based on different aspects and moves Meloetta learns, not actual usage or viability in general.
I do think shrang's set is really nice, but I encourage other people to find other, viable ways today use it.

She preforms quite well actually. Most people are so unfamiliar with it, they don't even know it's type and end up using shadow ball on it, lol. I use the pure physical set with moderate success. She brings at least 2-3 pokemon below 50% range or she manages to nab a kill or two. Meloetta is quite underrated. I find that the mix sets are underwhelming. Or maybe I'm not using it well enough. You can compare her to latias. You can't just put her on any team and expect success. You have to know what you're doing, and when you do you're quite successful. I'm just wondering if life orb is even a good enough item? I use leftovers for it to last longer. But I'm thinking of focus sash just so that it doesn't get picked off so easily.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't used Meloetta yet, but how does Relic Song work with our Sleep Clause? It has a 20% chance of sleep.

Last time I used Meloetta, it simply said "It didn't work" Something like that, though damage and form change was still done, so I'd presume that's what happens. Sleep effect gets blocked, damage still done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)