Meloetta

She stays in Step form for the rest of the match after using ancient song
No, that`s false, Meloetta`s form change back to Voice Forme when:
- You use Ancient Song again
- Switch out Meloetta
- The battle ends

If someone is interested, I uploaded a video showing when Meloetta learns Ancient Song...

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dont unederstimate burungeru, with a spreed of 252 hp/ 172 def/ 84 spe he can take a beating and cripple the oponent with WoW:

scarf garchomp outrage 43.3% - 51.2%
mix mence outrage 58.2% - 68.6%
mix mence draco meteor 57.2% - 67.6%

Also as a reminder burungueru blocks ancient song, so if he switch in meloetta stay on his normal form
I never considered Scarfchomp the epitome of power, seeing as it failed to kill my Heracross in Ubers once, so that doesn't really surprise me. Mixmence, however, is still getting the 2HKO, so he's happy. Also, don't forget Meloetta has access to Thunderbolt with huge special attack to back it up, relegating Burungeru to a minor annoyance at best.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The Water/Ghost has pretty decent Special Defense, but its physical defense just won't cut it. If boosted, Meloetta can cut right through it.

@ Yilx: Don't forget, she has U-turn. That's always a good option on Choice Scarf sets.
Meloetta switch-ins usually resist U-turn, though; through my experience usually Goruggo, Burukuneru and Dragons switch into her. I've been planning a Choice Scarf/Specs set but PO is down so I can't test them. :(

It's a pity she dosen't learn Reflect, too.

No, that`s false, Meloetta`s form change back to Voice Forme when:
- You use Ancient Song again
- Switch out Meloetta
- The battle ends

If someone is interested, I uploaded a video showing when Meloetta learns Ancient Song...
It seems she'll be another solemn legendary like Celebi and friends... I wonder what her movie would be like.

I would like a Scarf set with U-Turn. You can even try a lead gimmick-sort of set with U-Turn, or you could go with the Specs, as Meloetta is decently fast.

She also looks somehwat like Celebi, atleast the Green hair.

I never considered Scarfchomp the epitome of power, seeing as it failed to kill my Heracross in Ubers once, so that doesn't really surprise me. Mixmence, however, is still getting the 2HKO, so he's happy. Also, don't forget Meloetta has access to Thunderbolt with huge special attack to back it up, relegating Burungeru to a minor annoyance at best.
I always considerate a pokemon with 130 attack stat using 180 BP moves strong, but thats me.`Also mix mence isnt 2hko'ing any time soon after he gets burned:

mix mence outrage 58.2% - 68.6%
mix mence draco meteor 57.2% - 67.6%

-2 Draco Meteor 29.2% - 34.4%
-2 Outrage 31.4% - 37.4%

I know burunkeru cant switch in, but how many things can switch in versus mixmence? Not getting forced out by him is a big plus

The most common meloia set was something like

Meloia@ Leftovers/ Life orb
252 atk/ 252 spe/ 4 spc atk or 4 hp
Jolly/Naive

Ancient Song
Close Combat
Night Slash
Psychic/ return/ quick attack

You cant KO burunkeru in the switch with psychic or night slash ( max attack jolly LO NS 37.1% - 44.1%). If you use thunderbolt other pokemon like gliscor and hipowdon wall you (psychic kill them with entry hazards). But this isnt a burungeru disscusiion so...

IMO the best set (physical) is max attack/ max speed with ancient song/CC/ night slash and u-turn LO, leftovers or even expert bell (amazing coverage with 2 moves), in early/mid game spamming u-turn and see your counters, if you opononent switch in a ghost something like scarftar can put them in a hard position and if the oponent switch something like scarftar you can use ancient song the next time outspeed and ohko with CC

I absolutely <3 Meloetta and the moment I saw it I knew that it was going to be on my team.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Bold ( -Atk, +Def )
252 HP/252 Defense/4 Sp.Defense

~ Thunder Wave
~ Teeter Dance
~ Psycho Shock
~ Focus Blast

Since Meloetta is super bulky on the special side, and lacking on the physical side, why not just max it out? While your at it, throw in one of the most frustrating combo ever, ParaFusion! This Meloetta isn't really afraid of anything except for Banded Scizor's U-Turn, Toxic, and Taunt. Ever since PO has came out with their 5th gen. simulator, this particular set has given me LOTS of success, and even more with Wish Support! With all the support she's giving for her team mates, it'll be easy to sweep through your opponent~ ;D

Ancient Song is both a blessing and a curse for her. On one hand, it's nice to see another sleep-inducing attack. It does create the problem of 4 moveslot syndrome, which is a bummer. But the biggest boon/hindrance here is that it changes its forme. Terrible if you wanted to use just the Step Forme, but interesting in the sense that you can reliably change your typing at will. It was stated above, but now you don't necessarily have to run from Dark types, and any solid counter will have to be a Pokemon prepared to take a heavy hit from either side of the spectrum AND pack a respectable Atk stat, as her Voice Forme is specially bulky, and her Step Forme is fast enough to sing back to Voice Forme. Her Def is a bit saddening, but expected.

She's to say the least, interesting and unique in being able to go mixed while simultaneously changing her typing, a niche that at least deserves recognition.

pretty effective actually:

Meoetta @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
100 ATK/156 SPATK/252 SPD

-Ancient Song
-Close Combat
-Psychic
-U-Turn

Come in on something slow and use Ancient Song which will probably dent the switchin and might put it to sleep. In Step Forme you have a powerful Close Combat and U-Turn to work with. Psychic is for coverage and to abuse Serene Grace. The EVs are pretty arbitrary but it basically emphasizes Speed and making Ancient Song an actually decently damaging attack so you don't waste a turn using it. If you don't have wish support, use Leftovers.

There's something that seriously bugs me about this Pokémon.

Its legs.

Apparently, the first 10 times I saw it, I didn't see the legs, and so I thought it was a wispy spirit thing.

But now I see the legs, and I can't possibly think of them as anything else than weird freakish protrusions coming out of the left side of its body.

Seriously, even though I've come to terms with the fact that it's supposed to be sitting on an invisible chair, my brain just can't accept that fact.

I bet it's that stupid wispy tail that's got my brain all confused.

Does Meloetta always start the battle in Voice Forme and have to use Ancient Song to be Step Forme at all?

Unfortunately, yes. Hopefully the third game will rectify this in some way; as it stands, Gamefreak implemented a great idea in the body of a gimmick.

That doesn't mean Meloetta's ineffective though. Voice Forme is apparently quite good, it's just a shame that getting to the excellent Step Forme is so cumbersome.

As for dem legs, at least the Step Forme makes them distinguishable from her... tutu-thing.

^^it always starts out in voice form, and how can you not tell it has legs,and their not sticking out the side of it's body it's head is turned cuz she's just that awesome

So, is it true Meloetta was banned from Japan's 'smogon'? In PO, rumor says the japanese agreed Meloetta was way too broken for their OU. Personally, I fail to see how is Meloetta broken, but meh. I haven't tested her too much, and I've seen ~3 of them in the past 2 weeks. Never have been a real threat to my pokes, actually. o.ou

While Meloetta seems neat for any role I can think of for it there seems to be a better alternative.

As a special attacker its competing with other movepool giants (other Normals, Dragonite, Mew, etc) and while it has a speed advantage over then its base 90 speed is a lot slower than most special threats.

As a boosting sweeper Lucario seems to outclass both Formes as it has much better boosting moves in NP & SD. Additionally even though Lucario is much slower than the Step Forme, SD Extremespeed is still better than a STAB Quick Attack. Ancient Song doesn't really leave much room for a coverage move (not that I've been using one on Lucario, considering moving to Bullet Punch for ghosts though).

I'm not saying Meloetta is useless but rather that Ancient Song + Close Combat + Quick Attack + filler is just an inferior Lucario and that it needs to do something better than Lucario or Porygon2 to be worth using.

It has some nice stuff like U-Turn and a STAB Psycho Shock and those kinds of things will be key to Meloetta as without its unique traits it seems pretty outclassed.

CM Meloetta is very good, however, it just can't physical hit well enough. and it will be a waste of turn to use Ancient Song to turn it to step form.

Reading your post made me realize how odd it is Meloetta doesn't learn ES.

Barring Event Zigzagoon, Togekiss is the only Normal type to learn it. He certainly doesn't look very fast. Would STAB Extremespeed from 128 Attack be too strong for OU?

Ah well. What's done is done.

Yilx

Sad
So, is it true Meloetta was banned from Japan's 'smogon'? In PO, rumor says the japanese agreed Meloetta was way too broken for their OU. Personally, I fail to see how is Meloetta broken, but meh. I haven't tested her too much, and I've seen ~3 of them in the past 2 weeks. Never have been a real threat to my pokes, actually. o.ou
They're probably banning it for the same reason Arceus was until he got officially released. People probably read the 'ban' part and went on their own assumptions...

SJCrew

Don't forget the most important Pokemon ever to learn Espeed, Arceus.

With Meloetta, however, if I ever discovered she got Espeed, I would just go nuts. Use her on almost every team, ruin faces, induce ragequits, you know the drill. Just like Lucario lol.

Yilx

Sad
Don't forget the most important Pokemon ever to learn Espeed, Arceus. lol.

With Meloetta, however, if I ever discovered she got Espeed, I would just go nuts. Use her on almost every team, ruin faces, induce ragequits, you know the drill. Just like Lucario lol.
The main problem with her is that she dies way too quickly to sweep anything in her Step Forme, especially without any way to boost her stats. God bless you if you encounter a bulky pokemon after you transform. Hippowdon, Buruguneru, Skarm, Tentacruel, Zapdos or even Dragonite and Salamence can take a hit from her and set up or sweep on their own with relative ease.

Up til now, I think the best way to use her is a Bulky CM user to take advantage of her huge Special Defense and HP stats.

They're probably banning it for the same reason Arceus was until he got officially released. People probably read the 'ban' part and went on their own assumptions...
I can't provide an exact quote, but it was something along these lines.

Pokémon Online's Chat said:
Currently, Meloetta, Shandera, and Dragonite are being tested in japan. However, they decided Meloetta should be banned.
Seeing how it's in the same boat as Shandera, I understand. But Dragonite? That took most of the posts credibility, which is the reason I asked in this thread.

SJCrew

The main problem with her is that she dies way too quickly to sweep anything in her Step Forme, especially without any way to boost her stats. God bless you if you encounter a bulky pokemon after you transform. Hippowdon, Buruguneru, Skarm, Tentacruel, Zapdos or even Dragonite and Salamence can take a hit from her and set up or sweep on their own with relative ease.

Up til now, I think the best way to use her is a Bulky CM user to take advantage of her huge Special Defense and HP stats.
Hippowdon, Burungeru, and Skarm I'll give you (unless you're running my cool ass custom set ;), but Salamence, Dragonite, and Zapdos all have to fear Stone Edge. Meloetta is very versatile, you can't check it with just anything.

Yilx

Sad
I can't provide an exact quote, but it was something along these lines.

Seeing how it's in the same boat as Shandera, I understand. But Dragonite? That took most of the posts credibility, which is the reason I asked in this thread.
Honestly, I wouldn't trust that much that comes out of Pokemon Online's main chat (it's worse than shoddy's which is already bad enough), but if it's true there's probably something about her that we haven't spotted yet...

Hippowdon, Burungeru, and Skarm I'll give you (unless you're running my cool ass custom set ;), but Salamence, Dragonite, and Zapdos all have to fear Stone Edge. Meloetta is very versatile, you can't check it with just anything.
My favourite part about her is that you wouldn't know if she's running a Step Forme set or not when she first appears. However the limited coverage she has with her Step Forme really hinders her. :(

I assume you run Stone Edge over Shadow Claw?

SJCrew

Yeah, I really wouldn't run Shadow Claw at all with bulky Psychic types still blocking you and theatening to KO. Stone Edge is still a nightmare for Shandera and Gengar while bulky Ghosts...still block you pretty hard.

Honestly, I haven't gotten around to using Step since Voice is just way too much fun, but my set would be Ancient Song, Quick Attack, CC, and Stone Edge.

I was pretty sure you had to enter in voice form and then change into step form after using ancient song, though I haven't looked at this thread in a while or tested it personally.

Maybe Japan decided it can't properly enforce Sleep Clause on Ancient Song because it's more than a Sleep Inducer, and even more than an attack, too. Perhaps the spreading sleep became too much, especially with the new sleep mechanics (counter resets on switch)

Though Dragonite does take the credibility pretty far away, I agree.

Call me crazy, but I use Meloetta with Choice Specs. It's not as bad as people would think it'd be. I don't bother with her speed, so I put it all into SpA & HP. She reaches, I believe, somewhere around 585 SpA with Specs on and a Modest Nature. My moveset for her is like this:

Meloetta-V @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
~ Hyper Voice
~ Psycho Shock
~ Energy Ball
~ Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)