Mence the monster-an ou team

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello Smogon it's Shuckieee back with another Rate my Team, This time im bringing a OU team to the table. I had wanted to play around with the Scarf Mence set to clean up in the late game, so I decided to build a team around it. Focusing on support for Mence to cause havoc in the late game I decided that Magnezone and a spinner were on top of the list of things that I needed to have. Magnezone, of course being able to remove steal types that would resist Salamences stab, and a spinner to clear the Stealth Rocks in case I needed to switch in and out. Starmie was chosen as the spinner for this team to also provide some offensive support, with it's amazing type coverage it will also be able to remove some checks and counters to mence[/SIZE].

The First Look

On To The In Depth

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran is the pokemon that often find's itself in the lead position on this team. Setting up rocks is crucial to any offensive team and Heatran does this job very well. Out speeding Defensive Politoeds and laughing at ninetales, Heatran is a very good option as a rocker. Modest nature allows me to get that extra punch for damage, reaching a special attack stat of 394, there aren't many Pokemon who want to take a stab fire blast. Hidden power ice allows me to take on Pokemon such as Dragonite and Salamence with no problem at all, well earth power is just to round out the coverage on the set.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Double Dancing Terrakion is a threat that needs to be accounted for on any given team, Being able to boost either speed, or attack 2 stages in 1 move is just ridiculous for this beast of a Pokemon. Terrakion's main role is to punch a giant hole in the opponent's team, making it an easier job for Salamence to clean up at the end of the game. After a single Swords Dance Terrakion reaches a monstrous attack stat of 714. Nothing in the meta game takes either stab move with relative ease. Nothing much is to be said about Terrakion accept that it's just extremely powerful. i'm not sure of the calculations, but i'm fairly positive, that after a single SD it ohkos, or 2hkos every Pokemon in the OU meta game,

Gastrodon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gastodon is often used as a primarily defensive Pokemon, but it is an offensive monster if not accounted for. Storm Drain raises it's special attack by a single stage after hit by a water attack and paired with choice specs Gastrodon becomes a little power house, Reaching a special attack stat of 714 I believe. (correct me if i'm wrong). Gastrodon was picked for this team to give some resistance to Salamences and Starmies weaknesses tanking ice attacks and laughing and anything electric. The set has an obvious stab with surf, and coverage rounded out by earth power, ice beam, and hidden power grass.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is one of the 2 pokemon to be OU in every single gen(gengar being the other) and for a good reason. This little star's coverage is beyond stupid. Getting boltbeam and Hydro Pump, well being able to support it's team with rapid spin is just to good to pass up. Starmie was chosen as the spinner over the likes of Forretress, because of it's offensive capability, Also being able to remove steel types if by some freak accident I happen to lose magnezone to quickly in the match. Leftovers may seem like the odd choice for an item on starmie, but I wanted to prolong his life without having to use recover.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SAtk / 176 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Charge Beam

The 5th gen Meta brought new Pokemon to the table such as Ferrothorn, And boy does Magnezone love the metagame. The current ranking for the OU meta game based by usage stats has 5 steel Pokemon the top 14. Scizor, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Jirachi and Skarmory. Magnezone traps and kills 4 of the 5. The given EV spread above is one that gives Magnezone some bulk, Allowing it to set up for days on Ferrothorn without it being able to break a sub in a single hit. Not much needs to be said about the moves. HP fire for Scizor and Ferrothorn, Thunderbolt for powerful STAB, and Charge beam for setting up. Magnezone fits perfectly on this team and is great to have with Salamence, Allowing Mence to not worry about steel types.

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

The best this team was based upon. Jolly Moxie Scarf Mence. This set is one of the best pokemon to ever be waiting around in the late game, after certain checks and counters are removed Salamence just destroys pokemon in the late game. Coming in on something with low HP and getting the revenge kill, now your opponent has to deal with a +1 attack dragon with no counters or checks left. To keep it short, there isn't much they can do. Mence has received one of the biggest gifts from dreamworld, and in my eyes, is still the number 1 offensive dragon in ou.

Hey nice team you got there i alwqys enjoy teams based around a pokes late game sweep. Do you ever worry about status conditions or mence getting burned because if you ever do you csn always change gastrodon to blissey or chansey two special walls with acces to aromsthetspy

Hi, to begin with I see that scarfed Landorus wrecks this team escpecially with sand up. Your only check being heatran's ballon and careful switching. Your team is very offensive oriented so Gastrodon seems out of place replacing him would seem adequate.

Opposing Terrakion are also a big problem for you, especially if Banded. You have absolutely nothing that wants to be taking Close Combats. You could try out using Slowbro over Gastrodon to help this problem.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Bold
248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpA
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- T-Wave/Toxic

Cool team. I've been running Scarfed Moxie Mence for a while now on my teams and I love him. He does function quite well without rapid spin support as its really only ice and rock attacks that hurt him and outside of Terrakion(Scarfed) Mamoswine and Weavile he outspeeds his biggest checks.
I suggest switching Jolly to Adamant as anything scarfed is still outspeeding you, and you are faster than anything not scarfed still. The power difference adds up after two kills. I doubt you would ever notice the speed difference.
Starmie and Gastrodon seem quite similar as far as attacking roles are considered. Have you thought about hitmontop or Donphan instead of Starmie?
Donphan gives you a physical priority ice move, Hitmontop helps weaken some physical attackers and both are bulkier than Starmie. They both help you against Terrakion as well. The biggest downside obviously you are left weaker to rain teams.
Good luck with your team.

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey there. I'm a big fan of the Terrakion + Magnezone + ScarfMence offensive combination so I had to give this team a rate!

This biggest threat to this team is most definitely Swords Dance Lucario. He can set-up on Gastrodon's Ice Beams and Hidden Powers and Salamence's Dragon Claw and from there you really have very little to handle him, especially if its the Swords Dance / Close Combat / ExtremeSpeed / Bullet Punch set which is the norm nowadays. Your best way of handling him at the moment is just to avoid giving him any set-up at all, but obviously this is easier said than done. I have a suggestion that should help to patch-up this weakness.

I'd like to recommend a Celebi over your Gastrodon. Specs Gastrodon is a really cool poke but it seems like the most replaceable member to me. Celebi can still tank Water- and Electric- type attacks pretty well, and although it can't shut down VoltTurn cores as well as Gastrodon does, it can still cause them some problems. The set I suggest is:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 176 HP / 152 SAtk / 180 Spd
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power
- Recover
- Baton Pass / U-Turn

This is just a standard Celebi, fast enough to outspeed Adamant Lucario in case it does pack Crunch and deal back big damage with Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power. With the significant HP investment, Celebi can tank a +2 ExtremeSpeed from Lucario pretty decently. Leaf Storm and Recover are your biggest assets against Drizzle teams, allowing you to hit hard and Recover back up to full when given the chance. Baton Pass and U-Turn are effectively the same thing, except Baton Pass evades Pursuit from Tyranitar / Scizor and U-Turn can break Heatran's Balloon if it switches in on you, which allows Salamence to spam Earthquake more easily. With one fewer Choiced Pokemon, Lucario also gets basically no chance to set-up on you anymore, with every Pokemon on the team threatening to do at least 75% to it.

On top of that I have a few smaller EV spread and moveset tweaks. Firstly, Heatran really wants a Timid nature, allowing it to outspeed Adamant Dragonite and Mamoswine. This means that you don't have to sac a Pokemon or predict 100% correctly to get Heatran in safely, as even if they ExtremeSpeed / Ice Shard to break your balloon on the switch-in, you can outspeed the next turn for a KO (kind risky against Mamo though since Jolly is still common).

Next, Terrakion's set could do with a tweak. Whilst Double Dance Terrakion + Magnezone is great, it is very prediction heavy when you do run into Scizor. I think that Protect over Rock Polish would be a great change, allowing you to scout your opponents Scizor to see if they are going to Bullet Punch or U-Turn and react accordingly. This is a much safer method of removing Scizor for a Salamence sweep than blindly switching into Magnezone is. Protect Terrakion is also really great for scouting other Choiced Pokemon such as Scarfed Rotom-W and Landorus, and then punishing them if they attempt to predict your switch.

Lastly, I think Salamence should run Fire Blast over Brick Break. The main reason for this is to hit Shed Shell Skarmory on the switch-in, as it can't get trapped by Magnezone. With Skarmory sufficiently weakened, SD Terrakion and Salamence can have an even easier time against a lot of stall teams later in the battle. Also, you should generally try to avoid putting your remaining 4 EVs from 252/252 spreads into HP, especially on Stealth Rock-weak Pokemon. With 4 HP, Salamence can only switch-into Stealth Rock 3 times, whereas as with 0 HP, it can switch-in 4 times.

With these changes you are a bit weaker to LO Starmie so you'd have to play far more carefully around it. Celebi can take an Ice Beam from it and retaliate with Leaf Storm but gets 2HKOd by Ice Beam if your opponent expects the switch-in. However, it should get worn down quite quickly by trying to switch-in on Heatran's Earth Power along with Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil, and you can still risk the speed tie with your own Starmie or just revenge-kill with Salamence anyway.

Cool team, good luck.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
bump!. Sorry for the delay guys, and I thank you for the responses so far, I will be testing everything this weekend, i haven't had much spare time in the last couple of days. Any further suggestions are still welcome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)