1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Meowstic-F

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Kuhni, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Kuhni

Kuhni

Hello guys!
    I wanted to bring this never talked about Pokémon into the spotlight, because it works very well in the VGC meta.

Meowstic-F (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Competitive
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect

The idea about this is, that you bring it in if you see your opponent runs Intimidate Pokémon, especially if he has 2 or more.
    Thanks to the ability Competitive, every time Meowstic-F's stats are dropped (this will be caused by Intimidate 99% of the time), you get +2 on your Sp.Atk.
    With this moveset and a favorable Base Speed of 104, you can OHKO some common Intimidate users after a boost (Salamence, Gyarados). With Quick Guard support, M-Mawile is destroyed by T-Bolt, while Tailwind support ensures a clean kill on M-Manectric.
    Of course, after a boost you can easily kill or put huge holes in other common VGC Pokemon like Garchomp, Rotom variants, M-Kang/Talonflame (Quick Guard support), etc.
    Of course, Meowstic-F is rather frail, so proper team support against priority attacks is required. You can also run Energy/Shadow Ball instead of HP Ice if you want to counter specific threats.

Here is a quick replay of the set in action:
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/vgc2014beta-72359201

I hope this raises some awareness for this great Intimidate-spam counter.
  2. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Interesting strategy. I kinda like it.

The only thing I see is that, as you point out, Meowstic-F is quite frail; Gothitelle has much better defenses and can run an effective Trick Room set, while Wigglytuff has better typing and works better in Trick Room than either one. Also you have to give up the utility of Meowstic-M (Prankster Quickguard, Safeguard, and whatever else you might run) to bring Meowstic-F, and as you point out Quick Guard is needed to keep Meowstic-F alive.
  3. Kuhni

Kuhni

Gothitelle is indeed the better alternative if you are running her under Trick Room or with heavy Tailwind support (although Tailwind mirror matches would make her useless again), Wigglytuff has a splendid movepool and is a monster under Trick Room, but would get destroyed by a single hit easily because of poor defenses.
    Not having Meowstic-M might seem bad at first, but there are many other viable Quick Guard users around, notably Talonflame and Scrafty. The latter makes an excellent partner because it can take care of pesky Dark types that could threaten Mewostic-F, such as Weavile.
    If you want the support Meowstic-M provides (although I would use Meowstic-F on more offensively oriented teams), you can always use Klefki (bar Fake Out/Quick Guard).

As I mentioned, the Competitive user would be a very situational pick, as they only really shine against Intimidate heavy teams (teams that run Mawile/Gyarados cores and the like). It would be a huge mistake to bring them into battle if the enemy lacks Intimidate users. And such teams are usually less heavy on the priority side, making it easier to create a safe environment for your Competitive user.
  4. Sal-Mns

Sal-Mns

Wow! I thought I was the only one who actually used Meowstic. She can be awesome! I frequently lead with her with Lucario (for quick guard support) and they seem to synergize well (except when Lucario himself gets intimidated). I run disarming voice over psycic because i can hit scrafty hard with it, and swap protect for fake out because the flinching often turns the tides of battle. Her life is usually short, but she has became an asset on my team for countering double intimidaters, and fake out is extremely useful as well. I received one over trade, expecting a prankster male, but instead recieved her and was shocked by how well she did. All in all, I'd say Meowstic is an awesome yet severely underrated Pokemon in the VGCs.
  5. bearcanine

bearcanine

Substitute is very useful due to Mega Mawile's popularity. Sucker Punch makes it easy to set up. I run it over Protect. I imagine a SubProtect set with Psyshock/Shadow Ball could work too, but it might not be worth the loss of coverage.
  6. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

Substitute blocks Intimidate, this somewhat lessens the usefulness to boost its Special Attack. I feel Meowstic-F could be much more useful it just had to more bulk. I think Meowstic-F does something that Bisharp doesn't in threatening Fighting-types which don't necessarily fear Bisharp's STAB moves. That said Meowstic-F could end up useless as it doesn't have the highest Special Attack nor does it have the strongest movepool. I think Energy Ball could be used to some effect to hit Rotom-Wash for super effective damage.

If gender didn't show in team preview it would have a better surprise value.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)