PU Meowstic-M [QC 3/3] (GP 2/2)

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC: scorpdestroyer, galbia, Robert Alfons
GP: Winry., frenzyplant

Overview
########
  • Has a niche over other dual screeners such as Serperior and Solrock thanks to Prankster giving its support arsenal +1 priority, which is is great for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams
  • While not terrible, its bulk is not the best either
  • Taunt stops it from doing its job
  • Defoggers can remove the screens that Meowstic-M sets up in the blink of an eye
Dual Screens
########
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Yawn / Thunder Wave
move 4: Thunder Wave / Psychic
ability: Prankster
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
  • Reflect and Light Screen constitute for the dual screens combination. This support gives Meowstic-M and its teammates an easier time taking attacks, which is ideal for setup sweepers and hyper offense.
  • Yawn is used its ability to force switches, which can provide opportunities for Meowstic-M to set up its screens.
  • Thunder Wave cripples offensive opponents by inflicting them with paralysis. This is particularly useful for slowing a fast attacker that would otherwise trouble the team.
  • Psychic is Meowstic-M's means of doing some damage when it needs to, and running it ensures that it is not complete and utter Taunt fodder. Psyshock can be chosen to hit certain targets with lower Defense harder, but Psychic's greater Base Power makes it generally the preferable choice.
Set Details
========
  • Meowstic-M's HP and Defense EVs are maximized for optimum physical bulk.
  • A Bold nature is chosen to further up Meowstic-M's physical hit-taking capability.
  • Light Clay is a no-brainer on a set like this; it extends the duration of Meowstic-M's screens to eight turns, giving the team as much time as possible to utilise them.
  • Prankster is the reason to use Meowstic-M, as it gives screens and status priority.
  • Meowstic-M can opt for a specially defensive EV spread and a Calm nature in order to do better in the face of specially offensive threats.
Usage Tips
========
  • Meowstic-M should prioritize setting up its screens, unless it is up against an attacker that could prove problematic for your team, in which case you should use Thunder Wave or Yawn.
  • Reflect is best used first when against a physically offensive foe or you expect one to switch in; likewise, Light Screen is best used first in the case of a special attacker.
  • If you are running Yawn, you can use it to force a switch and set up a screen as the opponent switches out. Yawn can also be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely, and should the foe stay in, it's a setup opportunity for said teammate.
  • Meowstic-M's teammates like to take advantage of dual screens straight away, therefore it should generally be switched out after it has got its screens up. This preserves Meowstic-M and grants it the opportunity to set up its screens at a later point in the match. Yawn can be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in an ally safely.
Team Options
========
  • Hyper offense teams tend to be on the frailer side, so dual screen support is great for them.
  • Frailer setup sweepers will be able to set up with far greater ease when behind screens. Examples of these are Swords Dance Sneasel, Barbaracle, Huntail and Linoone.
  • Purugly is a great teammate as it can use its Defiant ability to switch in on and take advantage of any Defogs aimed at Meowstic-M.
Other Options
########
  • A weather support set is a possibility, but it faces competition from Volbeat, which is better suited to the role thanks to its access to U-turn and Encore.
  • Toxic hinders the longevity of walls, but for a Pokemon like Meowstic-M, the effects of Thunder Wave or Yawn are generally more useful.
  • Safeguard protects the team from status, but its short duration makes it not worth the moveslot.
  • Finally, Trick in combination with a detrimental item can be a nice surprise, but Meowstic-M would rather an item to assist with its team support.
Checks and Counters
########
**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Serperior force Meowstic-M to rely on its uninvested special attack, limiting its utility and rendering it setup bait. However, due the fact that Meowstic-M will be able to act first against any Taunt user in the tier, it will usually still be able to get up at least one screen in the face of a Taunt user.

**Defog Users**: Pokemon such as Swanna and Vullaby can remove dual screens by using Defog. Additionally, Vullaby is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB and sometimes runs Knock Off, which removes Meowstic-M's Light Clay, making its screens less effective.

**Dark-types**: Though not many Dark-types exist in PU, they are troublesome for Meowstic-M as their STAB moves are super effective on it, and it cannot damage them, even if it runs Psychic. Meowstic-M still can, however, cripple them with Thunder Wave or force them out with Yawn.

**Encore Users**: Being locked into a move is never helpful for Meowstic-M. Raichu is an example of an Encore user, and Meowstic-M's Thunder Wave is a simply a boosting opportunity for it due to its Lightningrod ability.

Overview
########
Meowstic-M has a niche over other dual screeners such as Solrock thanks to Prankster, an ability that gives its non-attacking moves +1 priority, which is great for supporting setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. However, while it is not terrible, Meowstic-M's bulk is not the best either, and Taunt stops it from doing its job. Finally, Defoggers can remove the screens that Meowstic-M sets up in the blink of an eye.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen support gives Meowstic-M and its teammates an easier time taking attacks, which is ideal for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. Yawn is used for its ability to force switches, which can provide opportunities for Meowstic-M to set up screens. Thunder Wave cripples offensive foes by inflicting paralysis on them. This is particularly useful for slowing a fast attacker that would otherwise trouble the team. Psychic is Meowstic-M's means of doing some damage, and running it ensures that Meowstic-M is not complete Taunt fodder. Psyshock can be chosen to hit certain targets with lower Defense stats harder, such as Raichu and Ninetales, but Psychic's greater Base Power makes it the preferable choice.

Set Details
========
The HP and Defense EVs are maximized for providing Meowstic-M with optimum physical bulk. A Bold nature allows Meowstic-M to take physical hits better. Light Clay extends the duration of Meowstic-M's screens to eight turns, giving the team as much time as possible to utilize them. Prankster is the reason to use Meowstic-M, as it gives priority to Meowstic-M's screens and status-inflicting moves. Meowstic-M can opt for a specially defensive EV spread and a Calm nature in order to do better in the face of specially offensive threats.

Usage Tips
========
Meowstic-M should prioritize setting up its screens unless it is up against an attacker that could prove problematic for your team, in which case Meowstic-M should use Thunder Wave or Yawn. Reflect is best used first when Meowstic-M is against a physically offensive foe or you expect one to switch in; likewise, Light Screen is best used first in the case of a special attacker. If you are running Yawn, you can use it to force a switch and set up a screen as the foe switches out. Yawn can also be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely, and, should the foe stay in and fall asleep, Meowstic-M's teammate has an opportunity to set up. Because Meowstic-M's teammates should take advantage of dual screens straight away, it should generally be switched out after it has set up screens. This preserves Meowstic-M and grants it the opportunity to set up its screens at a later point in the match.

Team Options
========
Hyper offense teams tend to be on the frailer side, so dual screen support is great for them. Frailer setup sweepers will be able to set up with far greater ease when behind screens. Examples of these are Swords Dance Sneasel, Barbaracle, Huntail, and Linoone. Purugly is a great teammate, as it can use its Defiant ability to switch in on and take advantage of any Defogs aimed at Meowstic-M should the foe risk using it.

Other Options
########
A weather support set is a possibility, but it faces competition from Volbeat, which is better suited to the role thanks to its access to U-turn and Encore. Heal Bell cures status conditions for your team, but it makes Meowstic-M even more vulnerable to Taunt. Toxic hinders the longevity of walls, but for Meowstic-M, the effects of Yawn or Thunder Wave are generally more useful. Safeguard protects the team from status, but its short duration makes it not worth the moveslot. Finally, using Trick and a detrimental item can be a nice surprise, but Meowstic-M would rather carry an item to assist with its team support.

Checks and Counters
########
**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Misdreavus and Kricketune force Meowstic-M to rely on its uninvested Special Attack, limiting its utility and rendering it setup bait. However, due the fact that Meowstic-M will be able to act first against any Taunt user in the tier, it will usually still be able to get up at least one screen in the face of a Taunt user.

**Defog Users**: Pokemon such as Swanna and Vullaby can remove dual screens by using Defog. Additionally, Vullaby is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves and sometimes runs Knock Off, which removes Meowstic-M's Light Clay, making its screens less effective.

**Dark-types**: Though not many Dark-types exist in PU, they are troublesome for Meowstic-M, as their STAB moves are super effective on it, and it cannot damage them, even if it runs Psychic. Meowstic-M still can, however, cripple them with Thunder Wave or force them out with Yawn.

**Encore Users**: Being locked into a move is never helpful for Meowstic-M. Raichu is an example of an Encore user that can lock Meowstic-M into Thunder Wave and gain Special Attack boosts due to its Lightningrod ability.

**Substitute Users**: Meowstic-M has problems facing Substitute users such as Bouffalant and Rotom-F, as Meowstic-M's STAB moves do not deal much damage when Special Attack is not invested in. Attackers behind a Substitute are immune to Meowstic-M's status moves and can stall out screen turns or set up.

Last edited:

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about the possibility of Weather Support getting its own set. c:

I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about the possibility of Weather Support getting its own set. c:
Seems really outclassed by Volbeat and Murkrow which have much more useful support movepools outside of screening. Unless it gets some super useful support move that they don't get or something that I don't know about I wouldn't bother.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Seems really outclassed by Volbeat and Murkrow which have much more useful support movepools outside of screening. Unless it gets some super useful support move that they don't get or something that I don't know about I wouldn't bother.
My thoughts exactly. ^

Gourghost

Banned deucer.
Bumping this thread, as well as a few suggestions from me.

In the Overview, I think point 1&2 should be merged. Something like 'Has a niche over other dual screeners such as Serperior thanks to Prankster giving its support arsenal +1 priority, which is great for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams'
I also think in the Overview, there could be a point about its average bulk.

In Usage Tips, I think you could add a point about when to Reflect and when to Light Screen, as I heard that these analyses are mostly for beginners.

In Team Options, I think Purugly should receive a special mention as it takes advantage from Defog's drop by Defiant.

In Other Options, i think this is a small change, but remove Illumise. It's completely outclassed by Volbeat. You mention it everywhere else, but I think there should be a mention why Sub + CM isn't good enough.

I think in Checks And Counters, there should be a section named Dark-types, as they can Taunt and Meowstic can't do a single percent of damage against Dark-types with psychic. Also Encore could be there, as being locked into screens/other status moves isn't really nice.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this thread, as well as a few suggestions from me.

In the Overview, I think point 1&2 should be merged. Something like 'Has a niche over other dual screeners such as Serperior thanks to Prankster giving its support arsenal +1 priority, which is great for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams'
I also think in the Overview, there could be a point about its average bulk.

In Usage Tips, I think you could add a point about when to Reflect and when to Light Screen, as I heard that these analyses are mostly for beginners.

In Team Options, I think Purugly should receive a special mention as it takes advantage from Defog's drop by Defiant.

In Other Options, i think this is a small change, but remove Illumise. It's completely outclassed by Volbeat. You mention it everywhere else, but I think there should be a mention why Sub + CM isn't good enough.

I think in Checks And Counters, there should be a section named Dark-types, as they can Taunt and Meowstic can't do a single percent of damage against Dark-types with psychic. Also Encore could be there, as being locked into screens/other status moves isn't really nice.
Did all of this; thanks. :)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yawn should be slashed before Thunder Wave. Unlike other Dual Screeners, Meowstic-M doesn't have a switch move. Yawn allows Meowstic-M to sorta do that via a double-switch, and if the opponent stays in, it's free setup. Make a bigger mention of this in Usage Tips (you made a quick mention of it but it's important enough to use as a separate point).

In Team Options, mention something else apart from Carracosta, which can set up without dual screens already. Something like SD Sneasel or Barbaracle would be better.

In Checks and Counters, Dark-types rarely run Taunt (only some Sneasel variants and occasional Vullaby variants do that), so remove that part.

honestly i think Yawn + Twave could work bc Psychic is pretty much filler anyway, but I'll just throw up this idea and leave the following QCers to decide.

QC 1/3

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yawn should be slashed before Thunder Wave. Unlike other Dual Screeners, Meowstic-M doesn't have a switch move. Yawn allows Meowstic-M to sorta do that via a double-switch, and if the opponent stays in, it's free setup. Make a bigger mention of this in Usage Tips (you made a quick mention of it but it's important enough to use as a separate point).

In Team Options, mention something else apart from Carracosta, which can set up without dual screens already. Something like SD Sneasel or Barbaracle would be better.

In Checks and Counters, Dark-types rarely run Taunt (only some Sneasel variants and occasional Vullaby variants do that), so remove that part.

honestly i think Yawn + Twave could work bc Psychic is pretty much filler anyway, but I'll just throw up this idea and leave the following QCers to decide.

QC 1/3
Done :]

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########
Meowstic-M has a niche over other dual screeners such as Serperior and Solrock thanks to Prankster, an ability that which (changed to avoid repetition of which) gives its non-attacking moves support arsenal +1 priority, which is is great for supporting setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. However, while it is not terrible, Meowstic-M's bulk is not the best either, and Taunt stops it from doing its job. Finally, Defoggers can remove the screens that Meowstic-M sets up in the blink of an eye.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen constitute for the dual screens combination. This support gives Meowstic-M and its teammates an easier time taking attacks, which is ideal for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. Yawn is used for its ability to force switches, which can provide opportunities for Meowstic-M to set up its screens. Thunder Wave cripples offensive foes by inflicting paralysis on them. This is particularly useful for slowing a fast attacker that would otherwise trouble the team. Psychic is Meowstic-M's means of doing some damage when it needs to, and running it ensures that it Meowstic-M is not complete and utter Taunt fodder. Psyshock can be chosen to hit certain targets with lower Defense stats harder, such as Raichu and Ninetales, but Psychic's greater Base Power makes it generally the preferable choice.

Set Details
========
Meowstic-M's The HP and Defense EVs are maximized for providing Meowstic-M with optimum physical bulk. A Bold nature is chosen to allows Meowstic-M to take physical hits better further up Meowstic-M's physical hit-taking capability. Light Clay is a no-brainer on a set like this; it extends the duration of Meowstic-M's screens to eight turns, giving the team as much time as possible to utilize them. Prankster is the reason to use Meowstic-M, as it gives priority to its Meowstic-M's screens and status-inflicting moves. Meowstic-M can opt for a specially defensive EV spread and a Calm nature in order to do better in the face of specially offensive threats.

Usage Tips
========
Meowstic-M should prioritize setting up its screens, (RC) unless it is up against an attacker that could prove problematic for your team, in which case Meowstic-M should use Thunder Wave or Yawn. Reflect is best used first when Meowstic-M is against a physically offensive foe or you expect one to switch in; likewise, Light Screen is best used first in the case of a special attacker. If you are running Yawn, you can use it to force a switch and set up a screen as the foe switches out. Yawn can also be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely, and, (AC) should the foe stay in and fall asleep, it's a setup opportunity for said teammate Meowstic-M's teammate has an opportunity to set up. Because Meowstic-M's teammates should like to take advantage of dual screens straight away, therefore it should generally be switched out after it has got its set up screens up. This preserves Meowstic-M and grants it the opportunity to set up its screens at a later point in the match. Yawn can be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely. (already stated)

Team Options
========
Hyper offense teams tend to be on the frailer side, so dual screen support is great for them. Frailer setup sweepers will be able to set up with far greater ease when behind screens. Examples of these are Swords Dance Sneasel, Barbaracle, Huntail, and Linoone. Purugly is a great teammate, (AC) as it can use its Defiant ability to switch in on and take advantage of any Defogs aimed at Meowstic-M, (RC) should the foe risk using it when seeing Purugly on your team.

Other Options
########
A weather support set is a possibility, but it faces competition from Volbeat, which is better suited to the role thanks to its access to U-turn and Encore. Toxic hinders the longevity of walls, but for a Pokemon like Meowstic-M, the effects of Yawn or Thunder Wave are generally more useful. Safeguard protects the team from status, but its short duration makes it not worth the moveslot. Finally, using Trick and in combination with a detrimental item can be a nice surprise, but Meowstic-M would rather carry an item to assist with its team support.

Checks and Counters
########
**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Serperior force Meowstic-M to rely on its uninvested Special Attack, limiting its utility and rendering it setup bait. However, due the fact that Meowstic-M will be able to act first against any Taunt user in the tier, it will usually still be able to get up at least one screen in the face of a Taunt user.

**Defog Users**: Pokemon such as Swanna and Vullaby can remove dual screens by using Defog. Additionally, Vullaby is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves and sometimes runs Knock Off, which removes Meowstic-M's Light Clay, making its screens less effective.

**Dark-types**: Though not many Dark-types exist in PU, they are troublesome for Meowstic-M, (AC) as their STAB moves are super effective on it, and it cannot damage them, even if it runs Psychic. Meowstic-M still can, however, cripple them with Thunder Wave or force them out with Yawn.

**Encore Users**: Being locked into a move is never helpful for Meowstic-M. Raichu is an example of an Encore user that can lock, (RC) and Meowstic-M's into Thunder Wave and gain Special Attack boosts is a simply a boosting opportunity for it due to its Lightningrod ability.

**Substitute Users**: Meowstic-M has problems facing Substitute users such as Bouffalant and Substitute + Calm Mind Serperior, as Meowstic-M's STAB moves do not deal much damage when Special Attack is not invested in. (period) Attackers choices are weak coming off its uninvested Special Attack, and attackers behind a Substitute are immune to Meowstic-M's status moves and can stall out screen turns or set up.
1/2

Last edited:

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########
Meowstic-M has a niche over other dual screeners such as Serperior and Solrock thanks to Prankster, an ability that which (changed to avoid repetition of which) gives its non-attacking moves support arsenal +1 priority, which is is great for supporting setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. However, while it is not terrible, Meowstic-M's bulk is not the best either, and Taunt stops it from doing its job. Finally, Defoggers can remove the screens that Meowstic-M sets up in the blink of an eye.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen constitute for the dual screens combination. This support gives Meowstic-M and its teammates an easier time taking attacks, which is ideal for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. Yawn is used for its ability to force switches, which can provide opportunities for Meowstic-M to set up its screens. Thunder Wave cripples offensive foes by inflicting paralysis on them. This is particularly useful for slowing a fast attacker that would otherwise trouble the team. Psychic is Meowstic-M's means of doing some damage when it needs to, and running it ensures that it Meowstic-M is not complete and utter Taunt fodder. Psyshock can be chosen to hit certain targets with lower Defense stats harder, such as Raichu and Ninetales, but Psychic's greater Base Power makes it generally the preferable choice.

Set Details
========
Meowstic-M's The HP and Defense EVs are maximized for providing Meowstic-M with optimum physical bulk. A Bold nature is chosen to allows Meowstic-M to take physical hits better further up Meowstic-M's physical hit-taking capability. Light Clay is a no-brainer on a set like this; it extends the duration of Meowstic-M's screens to eight turns, giving the team as much time as possible to utilize them. Prankster is the reason to use Meowstic-M, as it gives priority to its Meowstic-M's screens and status-inflicting moves. Meowstic-M can opt for a specially defensive EV spread and a Calm nature in order to do better in the face of specially offensive threats.

Usage Tips
========
Meowstic-M should prioritize setting up its screens, (RC) unless it is up against an attacker that could prove problematic for your team, in which case Meowstic-M should use Thunder Wave or Yawn. Reflect is best used first when Meowstic-M is against a physically offensive foe or you expect one to switch in; likewise, Light Screen is best used first in the case of a special attacker. If you are running Yawn, you can use it to force a switch and set up a screen as the foe switches out. Yawn can also be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely, and, (AC) should the foe stay in and fall asleep, it's a setup opportunity for said teammate Meowstic-M's teammate has an opportunity to set up. Because Meowstic-M's teammates should like to take advantage of dual screens straight away, therefore it should generally be switched out after it has got its set up screens up. This preserves Meowstic-M and grants it the opportunity to set up its screens at a later point in the match. Yawn can be useful for forcing out a foe to give yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely. (already stated)

Team Options
========
Hyper offense teams tend to be on the frailer side, so dual screen support is great for them. Frailer setup sweepers will be able to set up with far greater ease when behind screens. Examples of these are Swords Dance Sneasel, Barbaracle, Huntail, and Linoone. Purugly is a great teammate, (AC) as it can use its Defiant ability to switch in on and take advantage of any Defogs aimed at Meowstic-M, (RC) should the foe risk using it when seeing Purugly on your team.

Other Options
########
A weather support set is a possibility, but it faces competition from Volbeat, which is better suited to the role thanks to its access to U-turn and Encore. Toxic hinders the longevity of walls, but for a Pokemon like Meowstic-M, the effects of Yawn or Thunder Wave are generally more useful. Safeguard protects the team from status, but its short duration makes it not worth the moveslot. Finally, using Trick and in combination with a detrimental item can be a nice surprise, but Meowstic-M would rather carry an item to assist with its team support.

Checks and Counters
########
**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Serperior force Meowstic-M to rely on its uninvested Special Attack, limiting its utility and rendering it setup bait. However, due the fact that Meowstic-M will be able to act first against any Taunt user in the tier, it will usually still be able to get up at least one screen in the face of a Taunt user.

**Dark-types**: Though not many Dark-types exist in PU, they are troublesome for Meowstic-M, (AC) as their STAB moves are super effective on it, and it cannot damage them, even if it runs Psychic. Meowstic-M still can, however, cripple them with Thunder Wave or force them out with Yawn.

**Encore Users**: Being locked into a move is never helpful for Meowstic-M. Raichu is an example of an Encore user that can lock, (RC) and Meowstic-M's into Thunder Wave and gain Special Attack boosts is a simply a boosting opportunity for it due to its Lightningrod ability.

**Substitute Users**: Meowstic-M has problems facing Substitute users such as Bouffalant and Substitute + Calm Mind Serperior, as Meowstic-M's STAB moves do not deal much damage when Special Attack is not invested in. (period) Attackers choices are weak coming off its uninvested Special Attack, and attackers behind a Substitute are immune to Meowstic-M's status moves and can stall out screen turns or set up.
1/2
Implemented :]

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########
Meowstic-M has a niche over other dual screeners setters such as Serperior and Solrock thanks to Prankster, an ability that gives its status non-attacking moves +1 priority, which is great for supporting setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. However, while it is not terrible, Meowstic-M's bulk is not the best either, and Taunt stops it from doing its job. Finally, Defoggers can remove the screens that Meowstic-M sets up in the blink of an eye.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen support gives Meowstic-M and its teammates an easier time taking attacks, which is ideal for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. Yawn is used for its ability to force switches, which can provide opportunities for Meowstic-M to set up dual screens. Thunder Wave cripples offensive foes by inflicting paralysis on them. This is particularly useful for slowing a fast attacker that would otherwise trouble the team. Psychic is Meowstic-M's means of doing some damage, and running it ensures that Meowstic-M is not complete Taunt fodder. Psyshock can be chosen to hit certain targets with lower Defense stats harder, such as Raichu and Ninetales, but Psychic's greater Base Power makes it the preferable choice.

Set Details
========
The HP and Defense EVs are maximized for providing to provide Meowstic-M with optimum physical bulk. A Bold nature allows Meowstic-M to take physical hits better. Light Clay extends the duration of Meowstic-M's dual screens to eight turns, giving the team as much time as possible to utilize them. Prankster is the reason to use Meowstic-M, as it gives priority to Meowstic-M's screens and status-inflicting moves. Meowstic-M can opt for a specially defensive EV spread and a Calm nature in order to do better in the face of specially offensive threats.

Usage Tips
========
Meowstic-M should prioritize setting up its dual screens unless it is up against an attacker that could prove problematic for your team, in which case Meowstic-M should use Thunder Wave or Yawn. Reflect is best used first when Meowstic-M is against a physically offensive foe or you expect one to switch in; likewise, Light Screen is best used first in the case of a special attacker. If you are running Yawn, you can use it to force a switch and set up a screen as the foe switches out. Yawn can also be useful for forcing out a foe to give Meowstic-M yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely, and, should the foe stay in and fall asleep, Meowstic-M's teammate has an opportunity to set up. Because Meowstic-M's teammates should take advantage of dual screens straight away, it should generally be switched out after it has set up screens. This preserves Meowstic-M and grants it the opportunity to set up its screens at a later point in the match.

Team Options
========
Hyper offense teams tend to be on the frailer side, so dual screen support is great for them. Frailer setup sweepers will be able to set up with far greater ease when behind screens. Examples of these are Swords Dance Sneasel, Barbaracle, Huntail, and Linoone. Purugly is a great teammate, as it can use its Defiant ability to switch into on and take advantage of any Defogs aimed at Meowstic-M should the foe opponent risk using it.

Other Options
########
A weather support set is a possibility, but it faces competition from Volbeat, which is better suited to the role thanks to its access to U-turn and Encore. Toxic hinders the longevity of walls, but for Meowstic-M, the effects of Yawn or Thunder Wave are generally more useful. Safeguard protects the team from status, but its short duration makes it not worth the moveslot. Finally, using Trick and a detrimental item can be a nice surprise, but Meowstic-M would rather carry an item to assist with its team support.

Checks and Counters
########

**Defog Users**: Pokemon such as Swanna and Vullaby can remove dual screens by using Defog. Additionally, Vullaby is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves and sometimes runs Knock Off, which removes Meowstic-M's Light Clay, making its screens last five turns instead of eight less effective. (be specific when possible; the original was somewhat vague and could be interpreted as something untrue)

**Dark-types**: Though not many Dark-types exist in PU, they are troublesome for Meowstic-M, (AC) as their STAB moves are super effective on it, and it cannot damage them with its STAB moves, even if it runs Psychic. Meowstic-M still can, however, cripple them with Thunder Wave or force them out with Yawn.

**Encore Users**: Being locked into a move is never helpful for Meowstic-M. Raichu is an example of an Encore user that can lock Meowstic-M into Thunder Wave and gain Special Attack boosts due to its Lightning Rod ability.

**Substitute Users**: Meowstic-M has problems facing Substitute users such as Bouffalant and Substitute + Calm Mind Serperior, as Meowstic-M's STAB moves do not deal much damage uninvested when Special Attack is not invested in. Attackers behind a Substitute are also immune to Meowstic-M's status moves and can stall out screen turns or set up.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########
Meowstic-M has a niche over other dual screeners setters such as Serperior and Solrock thanks to Prankster, an ability that gives its status non-attacking moves +1 priority, which is great for supporting setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. However, while it is not terrible, Meowstic-M's bulk is not the best either, and Taunt stops it from doing its job. Finally, Defoggers can remove the screens that Meowstic-M sets up in the blink of an eye.

Dual Screens
########

Moves
========
Reflect and Light Screen support gives Meowstic-M and its teammates an easier time taking attacks, which is ideal for setup sweepers and hyper offense teams. Yawn is used for its ability to force switches, which can provide opportunities for Meowstic-M to set up dual screens. Thunder Wave cripples offensive foes by inflicting paralysis on them. This is particularly useful for slowing a fast attacker that would otherwise trouble the team. Psychic is Meowstic-M's means of doing some damage, and running it ensures that Meowstic-M is not complete Taunt fodder. Psyshock can be chosen to hit certain targets with lower Defense stats harder, such as Raichu and Ninetales, but Psychic's greater Base Power makes it the preferable choice.

Set Details
========
The HP and Defense EVs are maximized for providing to provide Meowstic-M with optimum physical bulk. A Bold nature allows Meowstic-M to take physical hits better. Light Clay extends the duration of Meowstic-M's dual screens to eight turns, giving the team as much time as possible to utilize them. Prankster is the reason to use Meowstic-M, as it gives priority to Meowstic-M's screens and status-inflicting moves. Meowstic-M can opt for a specially defensive EV spread and a Calm nature in order to do better in the face of specially offensive threats.

Usage Tips
========
Meowstic-M should prioritize setting up its dual screens unless it is up against an attacker that could prove problematic for your team, in which case Meowstic-M should use Thunder Wave or Yawn. Reflect is best used first when Meowstic-M is against a physically offensive foe or you expect one to switch in; likewise, Light Screen is best used first in the case of a special attacker. If you are running Yawn, you can use it to force a switch and set up a screen as the foe switches out. Yawn can also be useful for forcing out a foe to give Meowstic-M yourself the free turn needed to switch in a teammate safely, and, should the foe stay in and fall asleep, Meowstic-M's teammate has an opportunity to set up. Because Meowstic-M's teammates should take advantage of dual screens straight away, it should generally be switched out after it has set up screens. This preserves Meowstic-M and grants it the opportunity to set up its screens at a later point in the match.

Team Options
========
Hyper offense teams tend to be on the frailer side, so dual screen support is great for them. Frailer setup sweepers will be able to set up with far greater ease when behind screens. Examples of these are Swords Dance Sneasel, Barbaracle, Huntail, and Linoone. Purugly is a great teammate, as it can use its Defiant ability to switch into on and take advantage of any Defogs aimed at Meowstic-M should the foe opponent risk using it.

Other Options
########
A weather support set is a possibility, but it faces competition from Volbeat, which is better suited to the role thanks to its access to U-turn and Encore. Toxic hinders the longevity of walls, but for Meowstic-M, the effects of Yawn or Thunder Wave are generally more useful. Safeguard protects the team from status, but its short duration makes it not worth the moveslot. Finally, using Trick and a detrimental item can be a nice surprise, but Meowstic-M would rather carry an item to assist with its team support.

Checks and Counters
########

**Defog Users**: Pokemon such as Swanna and Vullaby can remove dual screens by using Defog. Additionally, Vullaby is immune to Meowstic-M's STAB moves and sometimes runs Knock Off, which removes Meowstic-M's Light Clay, making its screens last five turns instead of eight less effective. (be specific when possible; the original was somewhat vague and could be interpreted as something untrue)

**Dark-types**: Though not many Dark-types exist in PU, they are troublesome for Meowstic-M, (AC) as their STAB moves are super effective on it, and it cannot damage them with its STAB moves, even if it runs Psychic. Meowstic-M still can, however, cripple them with Thunder Wave or force them out with Yawn.

**Encore Users**: Being locked into a move is never helpful for Meowstic-M. Raichu is an example of an Encore user that can lock Meowstic-M into Thunder Wave and gain Special Attack boosts due to its Lightning Rod ability.

**Substitute Users**: Meowstic-M has problems facing Substitute users such as Bouffalant and Substitute + Calm Mind Serperior, as Meowstic-M's STAB moves do not deal much damage uninvested when Special Attack is not invested in. Attackers behind a Substitute are also immune to Meowstic-M's status moves and can stall out screen turns or set up.
Implemented :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)