Meowstic

Meowstic
########

With seven other Prankster Pokemon available, Meowstic has its work cut out for it to stand out for a spot most teams. However, Meowstic's support movepool is a significant mark in its favor, as it features very important moves such as Safeguard, Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Wave. On top this, Meowstic has access to Fake Out, which can buy a free turn on the first turn it is in the battle. Meowstic also has a good Speed stat, which can allow it to naturally outspeed other support and bulky Pokemon without needing investment.

Meowstic is odd in that it only has access to Prankster as its ability if it is male. Its pure Psychic type isn't a good defensive typing, especially with Tyranitar and Aegislash being very common. Meowstic is often forced to run an offensive move to prevent it being complete Taunt bait, and this is unfortunate as Meowstic has a mediocre Special Attack stat and will be unable to deal very much damage to anything. Even with Prankster and its great support movepool, Meowstic often finds itself outclassed by other support Pokemon, as they have bulk and handle common threats more reliably.

Support
########
name: Support
move 1: Safeguard
move 2: Swagger
move 3: Thunder Wave / Reflect / Charm
move 4: Psychic / Fake Out / Light Screen
ability:Prankster
item: Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
evs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Given the presence of Will-O-Wisp, Safeguard helps protect your physical attackers from burns. It can also be used to buff your own physical attackers as it also blocks self-inflicted status, meaning that Meowstic can use Swagger against its partner and give a +2 Attack boost without confusing them, even if they do not carry a Lum or Persim Berry. Swagger also gives Meowstic a way away to confuse opposing Special Attackers and only give them a 48.5% percent chance including accuracy to successfully pull off their desired attack. The third moveslot can be used for Thunder Wave, which, in tandem with confusion, further limits opposing attack chance down to one turn out of every eight, and also halves its target's Speed stat, allowing potentially slower Pokemon to move before them. Dual Screens could be run decreasing the amount of damage taken by Meowstic and its partner, but running either Light Screen or Reflect separately is plausible as well in order to cover a weaker defense. Charm can be used to halve the physical attack of opposing Pokemon and can be used multiple times, decreasing incoming damage by a lot more than Reflect would. However, unlike Reflect, the opponent can switch out their Pokemon to reset its Attack stat, so the effect is not lasting. Psychic gives Meowstic an attacking option if it fears Taunt. However, it doesn't hit particularly hard. Fake Out could also be run on the fourth moveslot to get a free first turn and ease predictions as well.

Set Details
========

The EV spread with a Bold nature is run to survive a Return from Mega Kangaskhan or a sun-boosted Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y. However, you can run more bulk on either side, depending on the rest of the team. Sitrus Berry is Meowstic's primary item as it often turns 2HKOs into 3HKOs. Mental Herb should only be used if Meowstic fears Taunt and Encore. This allows Meowstic to use another support move on the next turn.

Usage Tips
========

As a support Pokemon, Meowstic is intrinsically useful at all points of the game, and should be used to disrupt the opposing team in order to support your own. That said, there will be points where a more offensive approach is needed, and in those situations, knowing when to switch out is important. As Meowstic has little or no offensive presence, it is never advisable to run Meowstic alongside any other support Pokemon as you will only be able to deal very little direct damage against your opponent's side, all while also acting as potential setup bait.

Team Options
========

Physical attackers such as Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan, and faster Pokemon like such as Aerodactyl hugely benefit from Meowstic's support. Safeguard and Swagger support together turn these already powerful threats into absolute monsters, allowing them to achieve multiple OHKOs all without fearing status such as burn and sleep. Fighting- and Dark-types also help take care of many of the Pokemon that threaten Meowstic. Such as Scrafty, Mienshao, and Tyranitar.

Other Options
########

Meowstic gets Quick Guard, which can be used to block priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird and an opposing Meowstic's support moves. Similarly, Protect can be run to scout out a move or let Meowstic's partner deal with a threats. However, this will be at a cost of a moveslot which would otherwise be used for support, and, unlike Quick Guard, it only protects Meowstic. Leftovers can be used if Sitrus Berry is already used elsewhere on the team. However, it won't often prevent 2HKOs, making Mental Herb a generally better item. Confide can be used to lower an opposing Pokemon's Special Attack stat by one stage, potentially multiple times. Its effects even go through Protect. Despite this, it is still largely outclassed by Light Screen, as Light Screen halves the special damage done against your entire team rather than lowering the special damage output of only one of your opponent's Pokemon by just one stage. Rain Dance can be used to remove Mega Charizard Y's sun and Tyranitar's sand and also to support Pokemon like Ludicolo that aren't dependent on rain but still appreciate its presence. Equally, Sunny Day can be used to set up sun and simultaneously take down rain and sand. Meowstic can use Trick Room to reverse attack order and then continue to support its team from there. Trick, when used alongside a Lagging Tail or a Choice item, can be used to disrupt opposing strategies by forcing opponents to move last or get locked into a single move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Super Effective Moves**: Strong attackers that can hit Meowstic with super effective moves that do more than 62.5% damage can 2HKO even through Sitrus Berry. The two which stand out the most are Aegislash and Tyranitar.

**Taunt**: Taunt completely shuts down Meowstic, forcing it to only use Psychic, which won't deal very much damage.

**Encore**: Encore locks Meowstic into the same move it used last, potentially making it unable to support its team properly, if at all.

**Quick Guard**: As Quick Guard now blocks Prankster moves, it can be used to block Meowstic's support moves. Talonflame is the most notable user of Quick Guard.

**Safeguard**: Safeguard prevents Meowstic from using Thunder Wave and Swagger against the opposing team, stopping it from fulfilling its primary role.

Meowstic
########

[Pros]
  • Great support movepool alongside Prankster if male.
  • Access to Fake Out.
  • Good Speed stat.
[Cons]
  • Only has access to Prankster if male.
  • Mediocre bulk at best.
  • Pure Psychic-type isn't a good defensive typing.
  • Bad Special Attack stat.
  • Better support Pokemon available.

Support
########
evs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD

Moves
========
  • Given the presence of Will-o-Wisp Safeguard helps protect your physical attackers from burns. It can also be used to buff your own physical attackers as it now blocks self inflicted status, meaning that it can use Swagger and give +2 Attack your own physical attackers without confusing them.
  • Swagger gives you away to confuse your opponents special attackers and only give them a 50% percent chance for them to pull off their desired move. Behind a safeguard it can be used to boost your own physical attacker.
  • The third moveslot can be used for Thunder Wave which in tandem with confusion only give your opponent a one in eight chance to move, it also halves your opponents speed stat allowing the potentially slower Pokemon to move first.
  • Fake Out could also be run on the third moveslot to get a free first turn and ease predictions on that turn as well.
  • Dual Screens could be run to weaken both of your opponents attacking stats, however that said if your team is weak on a certain side you can run one of the Screens to patch at least partially patch this.
  • Protect is normally run on the forth slot to allow you to dodge an attack or scout out your opponent's moves.
  • Psychic could be used to give you an attacking option if you fear Taunt however it won't hit particularly hard.
  • Charm can be used to halve the physical attack of opposing Pokemon, this can be better than Reflect as it lowers the opposing Attack stat by two stages. What this means is that it can lower the much lower than Reflect will. However unlike Reflect by the opponent can switch out their own Pokemon to reset its Attack.

Set Details
========
  • The EV spread and defensive positive nature are run to both survive a sun boosted Heat Wave from either Mega-Charizard-Y or a Return from Mega-Kangaskhan. However more bulk could be run on either side, this does however depend on the team.
  • Sitrus Berry can be run to increase Meowstics longevity.
  • Mental Herb is only run if you fear Taunt or Encore and want be able to pull off another move.

Usage Tips
========
  • As Meowstic is a support Pokemon it is inherently useful at all points of the game.
  • That said there will be points that a more offensive approach is needed and in those situations knowing when to switch is important.
  • As Meowstic has little or no offensive presence it isn't advisable to run Meowstic alongside any other support Pokemon as you can do very little direct damage against your opponent's side.

Team Options
========
  • Physical attackers like Mega-Mawile, Mega-Kangaskhan, and faster Pokemon like Aerodactyl hugely benefits from the Safeguard and Swagger support and also potentially the Dual Screens. As these both increase the Pokemon's longevity.
  • Fighting- and Dark-types help take care of many of the Pokemon that threaten Meowstic.

Other Options
########
  • Meowstic gets Quick Guard which can be used to block priority moves like Talonflame's Brave Bird or opposing Meowstic support moves.
  • Protect can be run to scout out a move or let your partner deal with a threats, however this at a cost of a moveslot which is used for support.
  • Leftovers can be run if Sitrus Berry is already used on the team. However it won't often prevent 2HKOes.
  • Confide can be used to lower the opposing the Pokemon's Special Attack by one stages, potentially multiple times. It's effects go through Protect.
  • Rain Dance can be use to remove Mega-Charizard-Y's Sun and Tyranitar's Sand, and also to support Pokemon like Ludicolo who aren't dependent on rain but its presence is appreciated. Equally Sunny Day can be used to set up the Sun, and take down Rain and Sand.
  • Meowstic can use Trick Room to reverse the order of attacking, and then continue to support your team from there.
  • Trick alongside a Lagging Tail or a Choice item can disrupt opposing strategies.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Strong super effectvie hits that can do more than 62.5% can 2HKO through Sitrus Berry. The big two here are Tyranitar and Aegislash.
  • Taunt shuts down Meowstic as it can't do anything after that.
  • Encore does the same however Meowstic can still use a move after that.
  • Quick Guard now blocks Prankster support moves.
  • Ferrothorn and Gourgiest, neither mind being paralyzed and can stall with Leech Seed.
  • Safeguard stops Swagger and Thunder Wave.

Last edited:
Have not really used Meowstic much myself, but I know Sixonesix was particularly adamant about Meowstic always having Psychic on hand so it at least has some attacking option. Meowstic also seems like one of those Pokemon that really can't afford to run Protect with its lack of offensive presence and large support movepool to take advantage of, so I'd move it to OO.

Also, I'd like to see charm actually moving up to the main set since A) the drop in power is larger B) Meowstic can use it repeatedly and not be stuck doing nothing like it is occasionally with Reflect and C) When I've gone against it, it's been pretty effective / scary to go against.

Also, maybe Rain Dance deserves a parting mention in OO since it seriously messes up Charizard, especially on those "protect charizard to get your sun up" turns

Yeah, sure I've seen it a lot just never really manage to pull off charm myself. Also, I forgot to mention Rain Dance which I have run to great effect alongside Assault Vest Ludicolo.

I'll finish making the changes later I need to go out now.

List some other strong attackers with Mawile like Kangaskhan, and some faster things like Aerodactyl for team options. I havn't used Meowstic enough to really comment on the rest.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Expand on usage tips for this mon, such as saying not to pair it w/ another support mon or else you'll lack much offensive presence and are in danger of having the opponent take advantage of that.
  • Also Psyshock > Psychic to hit Amoonguss harder since most Amoonguss are specially defensive, which could be useful.
  • When talkin about Charm, explain how Reflect is usually more desirable since the opponent can't switch out and remove it

• Also Psyshock > Psychic to hit Amoonguss harder since most Amoonguss are specially defensive, which could be useful.
I disagree with this, actually. Most I've seen used where either EVed for highest overall bulk or were physically defensive since this format is particularly physically based and most Special Attacks Amoonguss can either take for days (Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Moonblast) or get fried by (Heat Wave, Psychic, Ice beam).

0 SpA Meowstic Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 74-90 (33.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Meowstic Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 72-86 (32.5 - 38.9%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Meowstic Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 104-126 (47 - 57%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Meowstic Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Amoonguss: 104-126 (47 - 57%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO

I think Psychic is actually the better option here. It's just more reliable damage.

I'm a little hesitant to QC mark this simply for the fact that I haven't used Meowstic much this season, but there's nothing that stands out glaringly wrong here and most of what you've written has been pretty good so far.

QC: 1/2

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Confide does not lower Special Attack by two stages, only one. You're thinking of Captivate, which with Meowstic would only affect female Pokemon.

Your right, sorry. I have never checked it, I just assumed it worked the same as Charm. I have never opted to run it over Light Screen.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Where is Focus Sash? Surely it would be the perfect item for this guy as it is so frail: much better than wasting your Sirtus Berry slot and it can't exactly make good use of leftovers as it will often be dead before it can make good use of them. But definitely keep Mental Herb on there. The ability to block Taunt is brilliant and you never know: some random guy might bring an attract user or two as you can cover both genders in doubles

Focus Sash is not by any means the best item on Meowstic with the EV spread listed.

The EV spread and defensive positive nature are run to either survive a sun boosted Heat Wave from Mega-Charizard-Y and a Return from Mega-Kangaskhan. However more bulk could be run on either side, this does however depend on the team.
Yep, seems frail to me.

Seriously the only reason to run Focus Sash is if your terrified of Overheat from Mega Charizard Y, or super effective hits you have no business staying in on. Sitrus Berry is the best item for it. You place a lot of value on Sitrus Berry. It is by no means the only item that other popular users of Sitrus Berry can use effectively, even on defensive sets. As not the bulkiest support Pokemon Sitrus Berry is the best item for it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Focus Sash is not by any means the best item on Meowstic with the EV spread listed.

Yep, seems frail to me.

Seriously the only reason to run Focus Sash is if your terrified of Overheat from Mega Charizard Y, or super effective hits you have no business staying in on. Sitrus Berry is the best item for it. You place a lot of value on Sitrus Berry. It is by no means the only item that other popular users of Sitrus Berry can use effectively, even on defensive sets. As not the bulkiest support Pokemon Sitrus Berry is the best item for it.
OK. But I do still think that Leftovers isn't that good on it. I would remove them at least as it is not going to be helping it much as it is usually 2HKOd even with that spread, and leftovers will so rarely save it from one that it is not really worth it.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I haven't really used Meowstic too much, but there are a few things that I feel could be added.

-Regarding Confide... what you are going to use that for is probably not the Special Atk drop, but rather the fact that it breaks Protect. May want to mention that fact when talking about it in OO. Though, while it does have that cool effect to it, it still probably should stay where it is.

-No mention of Helping Hand or Trick Room?

-Misty Terrain can be sort of used in a similar fashion to Safeguard, while giving your non-flying/levitating Pokemon some extra Dragon resistance. Keep in mind that it is a field effect for both sides though.

-If you are going to menion Rain Dance in OOs. You might as well mention the other side of the coin and add Sunny Day.

Thank you. I'm not going to mention Misty Terrain it is much too situational and potentially beneficial for your opponent, especially because it gets Safeguard.

Last edited:
-Regarding Confide... what you are going to use that for is probably not the Special Atk drop, but rather the fact that it breaks Protect. May want to mention that fact when talking about it in OO. Though, while it does have that cool effect to it, it still probably should stay where it is.
it doesn't break protect, it just goes through it, so it probably shouldn't be mentioned at all since light screen does the same thing :p

a few more things i think should be mentioned are trick+lagging tail (or trick+choice item, etc) and imprison+protect/trick room, both in OO of course.

for C&C, quick guard in general walls meowstic (talonflame is probably the most common mon with it), and pokemons with lum berry don't care about swagger/charm, expecially stuff like ferro that can just leech seed you and not give a rat's ass about paralysis (75% of the time). gourgeist is another mon that can just leech seed/forget about you and it also has phantom force to not only stall a turn for leech seed but also does some nice super effective damage. i guess trevenant can go here too but nobody uses trev anymore :( oh yeah and opposing safeguard makes meowstic sad b/c it can't swagger/twave everything :(

otherwise i think this looks good so

QC 2/2

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ADD
REMOVE
Capitalization
(COMMENTS)

Meowstic
########

With eight Pokemon with other Prankster Pokemon available,(AC) Meowstic has its work cut out for it to stand out for a spot your team most teams. However,(AC) Meowstic's support movepool is a significant mark in its favour, (we use American English) as it features very important moves like such as Safeguard, Dual Screens Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Waves. On top this,(AC) Meowstic has access to Fake Out,(AC) which can buy a free turn on the first turn it is the battle. Meowstic also has a good Speed stat which can allow it to naturally outspeed other support or and bulky Pokemon without needing investment. (just to clarify whom it is that lacks investment)

Meowstic is awkward odd in that it only has access to Prankster as its ability if it is male. (this is funny; idk if it's necessary to say though, because that doesn't really affect its viability all that much) Its pure Psychic-type type isn't a good defensive typing, especially with Tyranitar and Aegislash being very common. Meowstic is often forced to run an offensive move to prevent it being complete Taunt bait, and this unfortunate as Meowstic has a mediocre Special Attack stat and . This means that it will be unable to deal very much damage to anything. Even with Prankster and its great support movepool,(AC) Meowstic often finds itself outclassed by other support Pokemon, as they have better bulk and handle common threats better more reliably.

Support
########

Moves
========

Given the presence of Will-o-Wisp, Safeguard helps protect your physical attackers from burns. It can also be used to buff your own physical attackers as it now also blocks self inflicted status, meaning that it Meowstic can use Swagger against its partner and give a +2 Attack boost your own physical attackers without confusing them, even if they do not carry or using a Lum Berry or Persim Berry. Swagger also gives you Meowstic a way away to confuse your opponents special attackers opposing Special Attackers and only give them a 50% percent chance for them to successfully pull off their desired attack. The third moveslot can be used for Thunder Wave,(AC) which,(AC) in tandem with confusion,(AC) only give your opponent a one in eight chance to use a move further limits opposing attack chance down to one turn out of every eight, and , it also halves its target's your opponents Speed stat,(AC) allowing the potentially slower Pokemon to move before it them. Dual Screens could be run to weaken both of your opponents attacking stats decrease the amount of damage taken by Meowstic and its partner, (Dual Screens decrease incoming damage; they do not weaken opposing attacking stats. Same effect but different way of achieving it) but running either Light Screen or Reflect separately is plausible as well in order to cover a weaker defense. however that said if your team is weak on a certain side you can run one of the Screens to patch that side at least. Charm can be used to halve the physical attack of opposing Pokemon, this can be better than Reflect as it lowers the opposing Attack stat by two stages. (This sentence is false; Reflect also "halves" the opposing Attack stat so the effect is the same.) What this means is that it and can be used multiple times, decreasing incoming damage by a lot more than lowering the opposing Attack stat much lower than Reflect can will. However,(AC) unlike Reflect, the opponent can switch out their Pokemon to reset its Attack stat, so the effect is not lasting. Psychic gives you Meowstic an attacking option if you it fears Taunt;(+SemiColon) however,(AC) it doesn't hit particularly hard. Fake Out could also be run on the fourth moveslot to get a free first turn and ease predictions on that turn as well.

Set Details
========

The EV spread and Bold nature is run to survive a Return from Mega Kangaskhan,(RC) or a Sun-(+Hyphen)boosted Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y. However,(AC) you can run more bulk on either side, depending on the rest of this does however heavily depend on the team. Sitrus Berry is Meowstic's primary item as it often makes turns many 2HKOs into 3HKOs. attacks which would otherwise be a 2HKO a 3HKO. Mental Herb should only be used is only run if you it fears Taunt or and Encore. This allows it Meowstic to use another support move on the next turn.

Usage Tips
========

As a support Pokemon,(AC) Meowstic is intrinsically useful at all points of the game, Meowstic's and main goal should be used to disrupt the opposing team in order to support your own. That said,(AC) there will be points that where a more offensive approach is needed,(AC) and in those situations,(AC) knowing when to switch out is important. As Meowstic has little or no offensive presence,(AC) it is never advisable to run Meowstic alongside any other support Pokemon as you can do will only be able to deal very little direct damage against your opponent's side,(AC) all while also acting as potential set up bait.

Team Options
========

Physical attackers like such as Mega-(-Hyphen) Mawile, Mega-(-Hyphen) Kangaskhan, and faster Pokemon like such as Aerodactyl hugely benefits from the Safeguard and Swagger support, and also potentially Dual Screens Meowstic's support. Safeguard and Swagger support together in combination turn these already large powerful threats into absolute monsters,(AC) allowing them to pick multiple OHKOes all without fearing status such as Burn Will-o-Wisp and sleep. Fighting- and Dark-types also help take care of many of the Pokemon that threaten Meowstic.

Other Options
########

Meowstic gets Quick Guard,(AC) which can be used to block priority moves like such as Talonflame's Brave Bird or and an opposing Meowstic's support moves. Similarly, Protect can be run to scout out a move or let your partner deal with a threats,;(+SemiColon) however,(AC) this will be at a cost of a moveslot which is would otherwise be used for support, and, . However unlike Quick Guard,(AC) it only protects Meowstic. Leftovers can be run used if Sitrus Berry is already used elsewhere on the team. However,(AC) it won't often prevent 2HKOes, because of this a making Mental Herb is a generally the better item. Confide can be used to lower the an opposing the Pokemon's Special Attack stat by one stages, potentially multiple times. It's effects even go through Protect. Even with Despite this,(AC) it is still largely outclassed by Light Screen, as Light Screen halves the special damage done against your entire team rather than lowering the special damage output of only one of your opponent's Pokemon by just one stage. Rain Dance can be used to remove Mega-(-Hyphen) Charizard-(-Hyphen) Y's sun and Tyranitar's sand, and also to support Pokemon like Ludicolo who aren't dependent on rain but its presence is appreciated still appreciate its presence. Equally,(AC) Sunny Day can be used to set up the sun, and simultaneously take down rain and sand. Meowstic can use Trick Room to reverse the order of attacking attack order, and then continue to support your its team from there. Trick, when used alongside a Lagging Tail or a Choice item,(AC) can be used to disrupt opposing strategies,(RC) by forcing them opponents to move last or get locked into a single move.

Checks & Counters
(No Space Here)
########

**Strong Super Effective Moves**: Strong attackers that can hit Meowstic with super effective moves which do more than 62.5% damage can 2HKO even through Sitrus Berry. The two which stand out the most are Aegislash and Tyranitar.

**Taunt**: Taunt completely shuts down Meowstic,(AC) forcing it to only use Psychic which won't deal on't very much damage.

**Encore**: Encore locks Meowstic into the same move it last used last, potentially making it unable to support its team properly, if at all.

**Quick Guard**: As Quick Guard now blocks Prankster moves, it can be used to block Meowstic's support moves. Talonflame is the most notable user of Quick Guard as it is also here being the most common user of Quick Guard.

**Safeguard**: Safeguard prevents Meowstic from using Thunder Wave and Swagger against the opposing team, stopping it from playing out fulfilling its primary role.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Chenkovsky

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Meowstic
########

With seven Pokemon other Prankster Pokemon available, Meowstic has its work cut out for it to stand out for a spot most teams. However, Meowstic's support movepool is a significant mark in its favor, as it features very important moves such as Safeguard, Light Screen, Reflect, and Thunder Waves. On top this, Meowstic has access to Fake Out, which can buy a free turn on the first turn it is in the battle. Meowstic also has a good Speed stat, (AC) which can allow it to naturally outspeed other support and bulky Pokemon without needing investment.

Meowstic is odd in that it only has access to Prankster as its ability if it is male. Its pure Psychic type isn't a good defensive typing, especially with Tyranitar and Aegislash being very common. Meowstic is often forced to run an offensive move to prevent it being complete Taunt bait, and this is unfortunate as Meowstic has a mediocre Special Attack stat and will be unable to deal very much damage to anything. Even with Prankster and its great support movepool, Meowstic often finds itself outclassed by other support Pokemon, as they have bulk and handle common threats better more reliably.

Support
########

Moves
========

Given the presence of Will-O-Wisp, Safeguard helps protect your physical attackers from burns. It can also be used to buff your own physical attackers as it also blocks self-inflicted status, meaning that Meowstic can use Swagger against its partner and give a +2 Attack boost without confusing them, even if they do not carry a Lum Berry or Persim Berry. Swagger also gives Meowstic a way away to confuse opposing Special Attackers and only give them a 50% Change it to 48.5 or whatever to include accuracy percent chance to successfully pull off their desired attack. The third moveslot can be used for Thunder Wave, which, in tandem with confusion, further limits opposing attack chance down to one turn out of every eight, and also halves its target's Speed stat, allowing potentially slower Pokemon to move before them. Dual Screens could be run decrease the amount of damage taken by Meowstic and its partner, but running either Light Screen or Reflect separately is plausible as well in order to cover a weaker defense. Charm can be used to halve the physical attack of opposing Pokemon, (RC) and can be used multiple times, decreasing incoming damage by a lot more than Reflect would will. However, unlike Reflect, the opponent can switch out their Pokemon to reset its Attack stat, so the effect is not lasting. Psychic gives Meowstic an attacking option if it fears Taunt. (period) However, it doesn't hit particularly hard. Fake Out could also be run on the fourth moveslot to get a free first turn and ease predictions on that turn as well.

Set Details
========

The EV spread and with a Bold nature is run to survive a Return from Mega Kangaskhan or a sun-boosted Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y. However, you can run more bulk on either side, depending on the rest of the team. Sitrus Berry is Meowstic's primary item as it often makes turns many 2HKOs into 3HKOs. such as Mental Herb should only be used if it Meowstic fears Taunt and Encore. This allows Meowstic to use another support move on the next turn.

Usage Tips
========

As a support Pokemon, Meowstic is intrinsically useful at all points of the game, and should be used to disrupt the opposing team in order to support your own. That said, there will be points where a more offensive approach is needed, and in those situations, knowing when to switch out is important. As Meowstic has little or no offensive presence, it is never advisable to run Meowstic alongside any other support Pokemon as you will only be able to deal very little direct damage against your opponent's side, all while also acting as potential setup bait.

Team Options
========

Physical attackers such as Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan, and faster Pokemon like such as Aerodactyl hugely benefit from Meowstic's support. Safeguard and Swagger support together turn these already powerful threats into absolute monsters, allowing them to pick achieve multiple OHKOs all without fearing status such as burn Will-o-Wisp and sleep. Fighting- and Dark-types also help take care of many of the Pokemon that threaten Meowstic. such as

Other Options
########

Meowstic gets Quick Guard, which can be used to block priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird and an opposing Meowstic's support moves. Similarly, Protect can be run to scout out a move or let your Meowstic's partner deal with a threats. (period) However, this will be at a cost of a moveslot which would otherwise be used for support, and, unlike Quick Guard, it only protects Meowstic. Leftovers can be used if Sitrus Berry is already used elsewhere on the team. However, it won't often prevent 2HKOs, making Mental Herb a generally the better item. Confide can be used to lower an opposing Pokemon's Special Attack stat by one stage, potentially multiple times. Its effects even go through Protect. Despite this, it is still largely outclassed by Light Screen, as Light Screen halves the special damage done against your entire team rather than lowering the special damage output of only one of your opponent's Pokemon by just one stage. Rain Dance can be used to remove Mega Charizard Y's sun and Tyranitar's sand, (RC) and also to support Pokemon like Ludicolo who that aren't dependent on rain but still appreciate its presence. Equally, Sunny Day can be used to set up sun, (RC) and simultaneously take down rain and sand. Meowstic can use Trick Room to reverse attack order, (RC) and then continue to support its team from there. Trick, when used alongside a Lagging Tail or a Choice item, can be used to disrupt opposing strategies by forcing opponents to move last or get locked into a single move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Strong Super Effective Moves**: Strong attackers that can hit Meowstic with super effective moves which that do more than 62.5% damage can 2HKO even through Sitrus Berry. The two which stand out the most are Aegislash and Tyranitar.

**Taunt**: Taunt completely shuts down Meowstic,(AC) forcing it to only use Psychic, (AC) which won't deal very much damage.

**Encore**: Encore locks Meowstic into the same move it used last, potentially making it unable to support its team properly, if at all.

**Quick Guard**: As Quick Guard now blocks Prankster moves, it can be used to block Meowstic's support moves. Talonflame is the most notable user of Quick Guard as it is also the most common user of Quick Guard.

**Safeguard**: Safeguard prevents Meowstic from using Thunder Wave and Swagger against the opposing team, stopping it from fulfilling its primary role.

2/2

Last edited:
We know the analysis is pretty much done, we still wonder:

If you put but 8 more EVs into Def, Meowstic would never be 2HKOed by Jolly Kangaskhan's Return through Reflect.

Likewise, Charizard-Y won't do more damage with Heat Wave through Light Screen if you take 8 EVs out of this stat - it still needs three hits in order to KO you.

Wouldn't 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef be much more efficient? At this point it is nitpicking but are there any hidden calculations you have done that desperately requires those 8 EVs in SDef?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)