Pokémon Meowstic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic Info

Name:
Meowstic
Type: Psychic
Ability: Keen Eye/Infiltrator
DW-Prankster (Male)/Competitive (Female)
Estimated Stats (From Serebii): 74/48/76/83/81/104

Sugimori Art

Notable Moves

NOTE: These are chosen based on the fact the female is a sweeper and the male is a supporter. They both get moves such as Thunderbolt, Energy Ball and the like, it's a case of what's more useful for the specific role.

Both Genders:
Psychic
Calm Mind
Psyshock

Male:
Light Screen
Reflect
Mean Look
Trick
Toxic
Thunder Wave
Rain Dance

Female:
Thunderbolt
Fake Out
Energy Ball
Signal Beam
Sucker Punch
Possible Sets

General Utility (Male)

-Light Clay/Leftovers
-Prankster
~Reflect/Safeguard lol
~Light Screen/Thunder Wave
~Toxic/Thunder Wave
~Psychic
EVs: 252 Def/252 HP/4 SpD

Support team as best as possible, throw status around, die. Simple. EVs help you stay alive a bit more. Light Clay is preferred, but obviously useless if you're not using dual screens, so Leftovers is an option. Psychic keeps you from becoming Taunt Bait Kitty.

Wet Kitty/Cat in the Sun (Male)
-Damp Rock/Heat Rock
-Prankster
~Sunny Day/Rain Dance
~Toxic/Thunder Wave
~Psychic
~Calm Mind/Charge Beam/Shadow Ball
EVs: 252 Def/252 HP/4 SpA

Set up desired weather, throw some status about and die. Psychic is your attacking move. The last slot is filler. Shadow Ball is coverage, as is Charge Beam I guess. Calm Mind is always good.

Hello Kitty Will Kill You Slowly (Male SubCM)
-Leftovers
-Prankster
~Substitute
~Calm Mind
~Psychic
~Shadow Ball
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Def/4 HP

Ah, the standard SubCM set. Does this need much explaining? Substitute on a switch, set up as many Calm Minds as possible, sweep. Easy. Prankster is a cool ability, making sure you get priority, which can be really lifesaving.

Catfighter (Female)
-Life Orb
-Infiltrator
~Calm Mind
~Psychic/Psyshock
~Shadow Ball
~Signal Beam
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def

Boosting sweep set. Get a boost, kill stuff with your preferred STAB move. Signal Beam punishes Dark types and Shadow Ball kills other Psychics and is the only way Meowstic will ever be able to muscle through Steels if necessary.

*Insert Unfunny Cat Pun Here*
-Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
-Infiltrator
~Psychic/Psyshock
~Shadow Ball
~Signal Beam
~Hidden Power Fighting/Hidden Power Steel
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def

Choice set. Try to kill as much as possible before dying. Item depends on your preferences. Easy peasy. Hidden Power is filler; the type depending on whether you want to get rid of Fairies or other things, because 3 moves in a set is not a good idea at all.

Conclusion

Meowstic is a cool Pokémon. It'll likely wind up as a RU sweeper/support. The cool thing is arguably the endless cat puns its versatility. You can't always be sure what it'll try to pull as the male and female are wired to completely different roles (support and sweeper respectively), and it can be useful. I'm excited to see where it'll end up, and what role it finds itself being used for more often. Overall, a cool Pokémon that I wish had some better stats but can still be useful. One of my favorites for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:
Seems like an interesting pokemon to say the least. Not sure how useful it will be but it is quite versatile to say the least.

Pokemon with good movepools and subpar stats have been successful in the past. Let's hope it gets a niche. At least those defenses are not -terrible- so it can take a hit to get something done.

Might be better to just separate it's movepool into two or three separate lists, the way it's listed now is a bit awkward. Or just do two separate articles for each gender as if they're two separate forms. I think they're distinct enough from one another for that.

Might be better to just separate it's movepool into two or three separate lists, the way it's listed now is a bit awkward. Or just do two separate articles for each gender as if they're two separate forms. I think they're distinct enough from one another for that.
Ok, thanks for the advice; thinking about it I think it looks better now. I just want to make good posts here so people will like me more than on SPPF.

There's one thing I dislike about the whole "different gendered Meowstic have different uses" thing. As the male Meowstic has a more unique role, it will be outclassed by far fewer Pokemon than the female one. As such, Meowstic will may end up in a higher tier than the female one would have on its own, preventing the female Meowstic's possible usage in, say, NU, where it could be a good Pokemon for the metagame. I would hope that the two genders would be treated as different Pokemon for tiering purposes to fix this problem.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There's one thing I dislike about the whole "different gendered Meowstic have different uses" thing. As the male Meowstic has a more unique role, it will be outclassed by far fewer Pokemon than the female one. As such, Meowstic will may end up in a higher tier than the female one would have on its own, preventing the female Meowstic's possible usage in, say, NU, where it could be a good Pokemon for the metagame. I would hope that the two genders would be treated as different Pokemon for tiering purposes to fix this problem.
I have a feeling it'll work the same way as Rotom's formes.
They're all "technically" the same pokemon

Think of it more like a modern Nidoking. I assume this was their second attempt at a Nidoking Male/Female line, but they have a gender system which allows them to simply make them the "same" Pokemon.

Ok, thanks for the advice; thinking about it I think it looks better now. I just want to make good posts here so people will like me more than on SPPF.
Don't worry about it. And yeah, looks a lot better and much easier to read. Only other thing I'd suggest is maybe just merging the 'both genders' list into the other two and just listing psyshock, etc. twice. But up to you, I think it looks fine as is.

Not sure how I feel about this one. I like the Nido-element. I like the design, but the stats are just so... blah.

Just want to add that Meowstic can learn Trick Room. Although trick room teams may be a tad gimmicky, I think Meowstic may make a good Trick Room lead. Priority also prevents it from have its own speed affected by the speed switch.

Tricky Kitty
-Leftovers/Light Clay
-Prankster (Male)
~Trick Room
~Toxic/Light Screen
~Dark Pulse/Reflect
~Psychic/Psyshock
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def

Basically switch in on a special attacker, trick room or set up screens, and bail. Leftovers in case you want to run toxic/dark pulse/psychic (in which case I also suggest minimum speed IV's and hindering nature), or light clay if you want to run dual screens. Or....

Sleepy Kitty
-Leftovers
-Prankster (Male)
~Rest
~Sleep Talk
~Psychic/Psyshock
~HP Fighting/Calm Mind
252 SpA/252 Def/4 HP (252 SpA/252 SpD/4 HP if not running Calm Mind)

The only real purpose of this set is to abuse prankster + sleep talk. If you manage to set up a few calm minds, you'll become considerably bulky. You would need to survive enough turns to set up, however. Priority attacking moves are an interesting gimmick, but I don't see this moveset doing much other than surprising an opponent. If you run CM and only psychic you must remove all opponent dark-types from play as well.

Just want to add that Meowstic can learn Trick Room. Although trick room teams may be a tad gimmicky, I think Meowstic may make a good Trick Room lead. Priority also prevents it from have its own speed affected by the speed switch.

Tricky Kitty
-Leftovers/Light Clay
-Prankster (Male)
~Trick Room
~Toxic/Light Screen
~Dark Pulse/Reflect
~Psychic/Psyshock
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def

Basically switch in on a special attacker, trick room or set up screens, and bail. Leftovers in case you want to run toxic/dark pulse/psychic (in which case I also suggest minimum speed IV's and hindering nature), or light clay if you want to run dual screens. Or....
Trick room has negative 6 priority, so you'll still be going last.

The male can also be used as a sweeper. Unless Serebii is wrong, the only difference between the two is their secret abilities and a few moves on level up. It makes more sense to use the male as a sweeper than the female, because your opponent won't know if it's support set or sweeper set until you start attacking.

Last edited:
I definitely think Meowstic will be an interesting Pokemon competitively, but I don't think it will rise above maybe RU (and that's a stretch). There are so many better Psychic types to choose from, but hopefully this one will stand out with Prankster.

Last edited:
Thunderbolt and Energy Ball are compatible with the male Meowstic as it can be learned by Espurr. Mean Look should mentioned as a notable move for the male. Trick is a notable egg move, IMO.

Is it confirmed that the male and female share the same stats? If so, the male one is a clear winner.
I definitely think Meowstic will be an interesting Pokemon competitively, but I don't think it will rise above maybe RU (and that's a stretch). There are so many better Psychic types to choose from, but hopefully this one will stand out with Prankster.
Priority Thunder Wave, Screens, weather, and Mean Look and workable bulk... Klefki may have better typing, but there's no way that Meowstic won't be at least RU.

Last edited:
Priority Thunder Wave, Screens, weather, and Mean Look and workable bulk... Klefki may have better typing, but there's no way that Meowstic won't be at least RU.
Liepard does Thunder Wave too, and it also gets Swagger and Foul Play. I'm not saying Meowstic is awful, but RU is probably the most it'll get to (maybe UU).

I just want to mention this because I didn't see it in the OP

Male Meowstic gets Fake Out as well. The Male rival has a Male Meowstic and it knows fake out

Male Meowstic gets Fake Out as well. The Male rival has a Male Meowstic and it knows fake out
Hmm, I didn't seem to post that in this thread.

If you don't want to believe NPC's Pokemon moves (Lance's Dragonite says hi), I can also confirm Male Meowstic gets Fake Out because I had one in-game until I deleted it for Hidden Power.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but the male is more wired to support, due to Prankster you'll be wanting to abuse Status moves as much as possible, and Fake Out takes up a valuable moveslot.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss certain moves from each Meowstic's potential sets. Fake out on a special attacker is mostly useless in the first place, but it could have some use in doubles/VGC. I'm don't believe anything else gets fake out + prankster screens and thunder wave, so there's that. Sucker punch can be useful for picking off those sashed mons too when you've already used your fake out (yes, male Meowstic gets it too). I've never played either of those metagames though so I really don't know how useful that is.

In singles it's certainly outclassed by faster/bulkier screen users that have access to SR, u-turn, baton pass, magic bounce, and other goodies. Uxie is a prime example of a low tier mon that would completely outclass (male) Meowstic if not only for the fact that Meowstic has prankster. Others I can think of are Espeon, Xatu, Azelf, and Mesprit. There might be some others I'm missing. In lower tiers the only reason to use this over Volbeat/Illumise for weather support would be reflect, as they both only learn light screen for some reason. Using screens and a weather move just put you on an even smaller timer so it's probably not worth it most of the time unless you're Bronzong and can boom after. The bugs having u-turn is a huge advantage over Meowstic, as they can both just set up weather and slow-turn to their sweepers with no risk.

It's a shame that Meowstic's support movepool appears so shallow when it really isn't. It's just that everything else (the pixies mainly) already has gigantic movepools. Unless someone finds a use for mean look, I really don't see much potential in using Meowstic for support.

And as for the offensive female version, even if this winds up in NU, if you're not using Musharna over this, you may need to rethink your life decisions.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Mushy might become ru this gen, who knows. Meowstic has the advantage of speed (base 105 speed is really really good in the lower tiers), so there's that. Setting up would be easy with Prankster, and a Specs set with such speed shouldn't be underestimated either. Then again, I don't think they'll rise above nu, their stats aren't really cut out for that.

Yes nu, you're hearing it right. More Prankster kitties coming your way.

The female Kitty gets Me First which could be useful with that high speed, kind of gimmicky I know but it could be a nasty surprise to your opponent. If the male Kitty gets me first by breeding, it would be great to abuse it with prankster but I'm not sure at all about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)