Mesprit Specs/Band Sets [QC 3/3] Holly is writing this

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Knock Off / Fire Punch
move 4: Trick
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Zen Headbutt is a strong STAB, Mesprit's go to move
  • U-turn is used for gaining momentum
  • Knock Off is a good utility move
  • Fire Punch 2HKO's Defensive Ferroseed
  • Trick for crippling defensive walls
  • Healing Wish, if at the end of Mesprit's life, Mesprit can fully heal a teammate
Set Details
========
  • Standard Banded spread, Max Attack Max Speed
  • Jolly nature
  • Adamant nature
  • Levitate is Mesprit's only ability, allows it to avoid Ground-type attacks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web
  • Choice Band increases Attack

Usage Tips
========
  • Mesprit can be used to revenge kill slower opponents, bring it in after a teammate is knocked out
  • U-turn to gain momentum on the switch, also use U-turn if you can not get a guaranteed KO on a Pokemon with another move.
  • If you can not break the opponents physical wall use trick to cripple it and limit its ability to heal and use utility moves
  • If the opponent has a Dark-type such as Pawniard or Liepard, be wary of locking yourself into a Psychic-type move as it will allow the opponent to set up.

Team Options
========
  • Bulky Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr to resist Dark-types, also Fairy-types such as Granbull and Slurpuff
  • Entry hazard setters such as Crustle, Qwilfish, and Garbador. The Poison-type hazard setters lure in other Psychic-types allowing Mesprit a free switch and then Mesprit forces them out with a powerful Knock Off or U-turn
  • Something to handle Steel-type Pokemon like Ferroseed and Steelix if Mesprit is not running Fire Punch, Pokemon like Pyroar or the afore mentioned Gurdurr make good switchins to these steel types, Seismitoad is also good for switching into Steelix and Klingklang but not Ferroseed.
  • Having a Ghost immunity / resist is good because Pokemon like Mismagius or Rotom will try and revenge kill Mesprit, Audino and Pyroar make good teammates as they are both immune to Shadow Ball and take little to nothing from Rotom and Mismagius's coverage.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Trick
move 3: Signal Beam
move 4: Energy Ball / U-turn
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
=========
  • Psychic is a strong STAB
  • Psyshock is a strong STAB that hits special walls on the physical side
  • Trick can be used to cripple defensive walls
  • Signal Beam used to hit Dark- and Psychic-types
  • Energy Ball to hit pokemon like Seismitoad, Rhydon, and Feraligatr
  • U-turn is used for momentum, however U-turn is weak with no investment
  • Healing Wish, if at the end of Mesprit's life, Mesprit can fully heal a teammate
  • Dazzling Gleam used to hit Dark-types
  • Ice Beam to hit Flying- and Grass-types
  • Thunderbolt to hit Water- and Flying-types
  • Hidden Power Fighting can be used to hit Probopass and Pawniard, HP Fighting can drop Mesprit's speed however.

Set Details
========
  • Standard Specs spread, max Special Attack max Speed
  • Timid nature
  • Modest nature
  • Levitate is Mesprit's only ability, allows it to avoid Ground-type attacks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web
  • Choice Specs increases Special Attack

Usage Tips
========
  • If you can not break the opponents special wall use trick to cripple it and limit its ability to heal and use utility moves
  • Psyshock is good against pokemon like Cryogonal who have a poor defense stat, but against pokemon like Gurdurr it is not as good, be careful of letting Gurdurr get up a bulk up as Psyshock will do under half
  • If the opponent has a Dark-type such as Pawniard or Liepard, be wary of locking yourself into a Psychic-type move as it will allow the opponent to set up.

Team Options
========
  • Bulky Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Gurdurr to resist Dark-types, also Fairy-types such as Granbull and Slurpuff
  • Entry hazard setters such as Crustle, Qwilfish, and Garbador. The Poison-type hazard setters lure in other Psychic-types allowing Mesprit a free switch and then Mesprit forces them out with a Signal Beam
  • Something to handle Steel-type Pokemon like Ferroseed and Steelix, Pokemon like Pyroar or the afore mentioned Gurdurr make good switchins to these steel types, Seismitoad is also good for switching into Steelix and Klingklang but not Ferroseed.
  • Having a Ghost immunity / resist is good because Pokemon like Mismagius or Rotom will try and revenge kill Mesprit, Audino and Pyroar make good teammates as they are both immune to Shadow Ball and take little to nothing from Rotom and Mismagius's coverage.

Last edited:

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Moving this into QC phase, need some suggestions on Usage Tips, was having some trouble thinking up some, aside from obvious things. I tested these sets I swear lol.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
^ with just hp ground tho, and add more teammates in team options for both

if you do that, 1/3

HP:Fighting> HP:Ground becuase HP:Fighting hits Pawniard as well as Probopass on the switch(as well as Ferrothorn but he's not the primary target is he?)

Ares

HP:Fighting> HP:Ground becuase HP:Fighting hits Pawniard as well as Probopass on the switch(as well as Ferrothorn but he's not the primary target is he?)
lol, i think you ment Ferroseed. But the point is that HP Ground encompasses a great deal more coverage while HP Fighting is quite specific in only hitting a few things harder than HP Ground. This is also a bump lol.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
lol, i think you ment Ferroseed. But the point is that HP Ground encompasses a great deal more coverage while HP Fighting is quite specific in only hitting a few things harder than HP Ground. This is also a bump lol.
I don't really see what kinds of Pokemon HP Ground hits that HP Fighting (or its other attacks) would miss out on. Both hit Probopass 4x effective, but HP Fighting lands harder hits on Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Pangoro. The only true downside to HP Fighting is the imperfect Speed IV, but Mesprit's speed tier should be able to handle that anyway, as most Pokemon in its speed tier tend to go for neutral natures.

Edit: Montsegur I'd remove Dazzling Gleam from Specs tbh.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Supporting changing mentions of HP Ground to HP Fighting, mention the speed drop in moves or set details. I think Dazzling Gleam still deserves to be in moves but definitely not as a slash on the main set. I'd also add in usage tips something about being wary of locking yourself into psychic type attacks if the opponent has a dark type such as Pawniard or Liepard that can set up.

2/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i'll assume this was dropped as well, if anyone wants to reserve these they're still written separately from the other sets + Overview

Mont Edit: I mean it just needs to be gone over and updated, the skeleton is still good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)