Metagame Analysis: Underused (And only Underused)

As was said in another topic, though, Aggron needs 200 Sp. Atk evs to ohko Gligar. It would just be wasting ev's and an attack slot to use Ice Beam for Gligar. Plus you would need to predict him on the switch, since you can't use it once he's in.

People usually use Substitute when a pokemon is switching out, so not much prediction is needed. You won't sacrifice that much in other stats. You'll still have ultra high Defence and good Attack. Focus Punch isn't that needed on Aggron seeing he's all about Paraflinching.

It's not like you KNOW when they are switching out, so it isn't like you'll know that well when to use Sub. If they have something in that can keep breaking the sub anyway, then you're fucked. Putting 200 Evs in Sp Atk just to counter something that will fuck it over anyway isn't smart.

I think it's pretty obvious a CBer switches out when Aggron comes in on a NVE Attack. Plus if you read my post carefully I never said I used Ice Beam on him because Gligar fucked it up. I said I used Ice Beam Aggron because Gligar fucks up Bellywrath and nothing makes Gligar come in more than Aggron.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You don't need 200 Sp Attk to OHKO Gligar with Ice Beam, btw. 183 is a definite OHKO (not a guarantee OHKO, but 100% OHKO).

So a spread like 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Sp Atk, Brave Nature would be pretty good.

Pocket said:
You don't need 200 Sp Attk to OHKO Gligar with Ice Beam, btw. 183 is a definite OHKO (not a guarantee OHKO, but 100% OHKO).

So a spread like 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Sp Atk, Adamant Nature would be pretty good.
Are you sure it's 108 evs for an Adamant nature? That makes it's Sp Atk only 164, and it doesn't ohko a Defensive Gligar (With lots of HP Evs)

It can reach 334 ._.

Most Gligars I see have 300 HP which means Aggron only needs 96 Sp. Attack EVs with a neutral nature on Sp. Attack to guarantee a OHKO on him.

I have a Q. Typlosion, Lapras, and Slowbro are all in the borderline section, but ive seen other people using them on UU teams. Whats the deal? Can i use borderlines or not? Because if i dont, these(all the bls i mean) will be continuing to walk over my pure-UU teams, and if i do use bls, i will get(and have gotten) flak from people.

I dont get why other people can use borderlines and i cant. Seriously. And if you clause them, its like ''rofl stfu'' and there goes my team down the drain.

By adding Bls's in a regular UU team with no special privilage, the UU metagame becomes a 'mixed' metagme or UU/BL. A BL metagame if you will. Just state in your info "No Bl's" or something like that.

1. Pick 6 Pokemon with a high attack stat and decent speed.
2. Put a Choice Band on said pokemon.
3. Have a normal and a rock resist.

:\

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
here are the top 20 underuseds in my opinion (in no particular order):

1 gligar
2 solrock
3 fearow
4 quagsire
5 grumpig
6 hypno
7 vileplume
8 kangaskhan
9 mr. mime
10 tentacruel
11 lanturn
12 clefable
13 electabuzz
14 pinsir
15 blastoise
16 nidoking
17 meganium
18 electrode
19 hitmonlee
20 persian

honorable mentions:
muk
manectric
shiftry
slowking
omastar
linoone

Yeah, but countering Aggron is easy. Just put Mud Slap on something.

I'd say something that makes a good UU team is a combination of

· Gligar Counter
· Minimal Ground weakeness (2 Pokemon maximum)
· Physical Tank (Make sure it has a Normal/Flying resist.)
· Special Tank (Optional)
· Choice Bander
· Special Sweeper (Optional)

Also, I just want to say that a Gligar + Grumpig combo is awesome.

Once again I don't see why "Gligar counter" is a seperate thing. God damnit that thing is so overrated. You'll usually have a Water or Solrock or both on your team anyway.

nidoking @ leftovers
earthquake
megahorn
ice beam
thunderbolt/thunder/fire blast

^ this can really destroy teams in uu when you can easily switch into common pokemon like aggron and muk.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
choice banders are overrated, you don't need a choice bander on a good uu team.

fighting/bug/rock resist is needed though

well personally i had a different idea for an uu team building guide, because a beginner to the uu environment who reads this article would have no clue on what 6 pokemon to pick that would work well together. in my ,math class today i outlined an uu teambuilding guide which would complement this thread as well as bluelightstars. ill write it this weekend, and before i post it ill show it to mekkah or someone to see if it is worth posting

meddle said:
here are the top 20 underuseds in my opinion (in no particular order):

1 gligar
2 solrock
3 fearow
4 quagsire
5 grumpig
6 hypno
7 vileplume
8 kangaskhan
9 mr. mime
10 tentacruel
11 lanturn
12 clefable
13 electabuzz
14 pinsir
15 blastoise
16 nidoking
17 meganium
18 electrode
19 hitmonlee
20 persian

honorable mentions:
muk
manectric
shiftry
slowking
omastar
linoone
No slowbro? He's arguably the best tank in the UU metagame.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I forgot Aggron.

Also, Aggron should NOT pack ice beam ffs. "lol it beats gligar," just switch!

Yes, exactly. "lol aggron is gligar bait" is not a good enough excuse. While a lot of teams DO run gligar, if you run into a team that doesn't, well you are fucked aren't you?

In the case that they DO have gligar, it's not neccessarily given that they'll switch to it. And if you accidentally Ice Beam a Solrock, or something, well your whole plan is fucked since you gave yourself away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)