Metagame Analysis: Underused (And only Underused)

I've noticed that there IS in fact another topic just a few down, but I also realized reading through it that it has stupid Pokes listed that are generally banned from the Metagame such as Houndoom and Jynx and what not. And with SF starting soon, I'd figure this could help...

P.S. Obi2 feel free to fix any and all EVs, kthnx.

If you’re reading this, chances are you don’t even know what UU stands for. It’s underused. Now, since you ARE reading this, you probably have no idea what the heck “Underused” means. It’s basically Pokemon that don’t get used in the metagame due to lackluster stats or usability or usage rates.

A list of “Underused” Pokemon in regards to the Official Smogon Tiers list:
When building an UU team, there are some things you should ALWAYS keep in mind to have.

One of the first and foremost important thing is Gligar. This Pokemon runs rampage and is probably on 98% of all underused teams, the other 2% being people who despise it because it’s on 98% of all team. What makes Gligar so great? Read it’s Smogon Pokedex entry. It’s immune to Earthquake and Electric, two of the most common types of moves. It has great defense and resists fighters, keeping Reversalers and pure Physical attacking Belly Drumming Poliwrath from sweeping your team, not to mention stopping HP Grass electrics.

Gligar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

If your team is weakened, this thing will cause havoc offensively combined with it’s supreme annoying defensive abilities. I mean look at it, with no Def EVs and a +Def nature, it’s already at 270.

How do you stop this mother? Well, same rule applies in UU as it does in OU (Overused), bulky waters will always stop a physical sweeper. And a few more friends will too…

Blastoise (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 184 Def / 96 SAtk / 16 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf

Probably the best bet for Gligar, as it can take multiple damage from Gligar’s poor unboosted attack, and scares the bejesus out of it with IB or Surf. Toxic can also go over Sleep Talk if wanted, or even Haze, but this set makes it more durable for Gligar and helps with CB’ers.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 HP / 64 Atk / 96 Def / 136 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost/Rock]
- Ice Beam

This is a useful monster. It has decent Def but excellent HP to hang with Gligar, as well as being a potential sweeper itself. Also makes a great counter to HP Ice Electrics as well as Tentacruel.

Solrock @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 80 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Ball

Excellent typing to defend against Gligar and many other Phsyical attackers. Even though it is a Choice Bander, it can still take plenty of punishment, although be careful for Steel Wing/Iron Tail Gligars. This is also usable to get into those annoying CB Birds.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cute Charm
EVs: 212 HP / 144 Def / 16 Spd / 136 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled
- Thunderbolt

Although it’s not a defensive powerhouse, it has the ability to scare away Gligars and easily recover the damage it takes in, and can also sweep when given the opportunity.

After Gligars, something you can always expect on underused teams will be Choice Banders. Since there is a lack of defensive stoppers, you can find CB’ers everywhere and the only way to really not get swept by one is to play your advantage with resistances and of course, prediction.

Fearow (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Quick Attack

This is a common starter and if you don’t have your necessary Normal/Flying resistance, this thing will annoy the shit out of you with its decent base 90 attack.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Limber
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Mach Punch
- Rock Slide

Oh my goodness, this is just a monster. A choice banded base 120 attacker? This is scary. In fact, the only way to beat this is to use immunities and resistances. There’s simply no other way to switch into it.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Early Bird
- Earthquake
- Fake Out
- Return
- Shadow Ball

Solid Choice Bander with more speed than Hitmonlee and more attack than Fearow. Great movepool too. You *could* add Rest along in there somewhere, but that’s up to you.

Granbull (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Return
- Shadow Ball

Ridiculously slow, but it has by the highest attack of any of the other common CB’ers. Not to mention with Intimidate it’s not as hard to get in.

Persian (M) @ Choice Band
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hypnosis
- Return
- Shadow Ball

A ridiculously great starter, with probably the second highest speed in UU as well with the ability so sleeps something and switch out and abuse the attacking later.

Choice Banders will always do major damage to your team regardless of how you prepare for it. However, the following can also cause major damage, but at least they’re ways to counter them. Yes, HP Electrics. Oh, and some of their special attacking friends too since there is a lacking of special tanking in the UU metagame.

Manectric (M) @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass/Ice]
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Yeah, this shit can seriously hinder you if you can’t switch into it. It’s basically a mini Jolteon anyways.

Electabuzz (M) @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

This will just all around do special attacking damage to your whole team. And unlike the other Electrics who can only carry one HP, leaving them be able to be countered by either Lanturn or Gligar, or what not, Electabuzz can hit ALL of them with a super effective.

Electrode @ Leftovers
Trait: Soundproof
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Nothing outspeeds this monster in UU. It only needs 363 speed since the fastest Pokemons used should be at 362(Perisan) seeing as how Crobat IS a Borderline.

Now, those are just the pure electric special attackers. The next group of pals will be Stat-uppers and pure special attacking threats that you probably won’t think of countering while building your team.

Sharpedo (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

I personally think nothing can safely switch into this without suffering. It’s just such a ridiculous monster.

Omastar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Surf

Omastar used Rain Dance. Good game. (Unless you have a Surfing/Hydro Pumping Tentacruel.)

Misdreavus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute/Pain Split

Misdreavus can easily get into CB normals and then with a Sub up, your special attacking ways of killing Misdreavus is usually dead. You’d have to rely on a ghost move to break it’s sub, chances are that the ghost move user is CB’d, that’s a free switch for later rinse and reuse.

Gorebyss (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Spd / 252 SAtk
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Basically a cuter Omastar for all you ladies out there.

Vileplume (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Spd / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
- Hidden Power [Fire/Ice]
- Sleep Powder
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

The Sunny Day equal of the Rain Dancers. Seriously, more people should use Fire types before this thing kinds of um, sweep them.

Still a work in progress since it's like 1 AM but there WILL BE EDITING to come, since I need to add in some tanks, potential threats, and what to expect. Bare with me here.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
Aeroblacktyl said:
Gligar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

i also use defensive gligar, but i think you're going a bit overboard. he does good enough without impish imo. also rock slide is pretty useful in uu, maybe quick attack instead? you know if you're on sorta low health and you have to kill that reversaler or something.

After Gligars, something you can always expect on underused teams will be Choice Banders. Since there is a lack of defensive stoppers, you can find CB’ers everywhere and the only way to really not get swept by one is to play your advantage with resistances and of course, prediction.

Fearow (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Quick Attack

This is a common starter and if you don’t have your necessary Normal/Flying resistance, this thing will annoy the shit out of you with its decent base 90 attack.

ground is usually used because you dont lose speed ivs with it.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Band
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Mach Punch
- Rock Slide

imo eq could be over one of those moves as hjk doesnt ohko lanturn while eq does and stuff like that. plus rock slide does decent damage to ghosts anyways.

Persian (M) @ Choice Band
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hypnosis
- Return
- Shadow Ball

fake out over hp ground is more useful i've found out.

Manectric (M) @ Petaya Berry
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

crunch can work over twave to own stuff like piggy/hypno

I want to just say that Electrode (With Sub over Twave and HP Ice), is probably the best starter ever. Common starters are usually Fearow or shit like that, and they go running scared, while I set up a sub. If they switch to Gligar or something, then they get screwed, and I can deal a 2hko to Golem and such without HP Grass. It's the fastest, so nothing can really hit me while I check them out with the sub.

Only Quagsire (If you go with HP Ice) walls it, as well as Lanturn (again, if you have HP Ice), but even then you can blow up on them. Unless they happen to have a Damp Quagsire (lol)

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Missy with hp ice

Solrock with reflect @leftovers

Granbull with bulk up.

good job though

Focus Punch is useful on hitmonlee if you have another first priority move on another pokemon.

Taunt/Imprison are good in the last slot since it can stop stuff like hypno and vileplume cold with taunt or shut down stuff like grumpig with imprison, works well against subgar with hidden power ice imo.

Nidoking is a great cber as well as mix since almost nothing can switch into Ice beam/Thunderbolt/EQ/MH without taking a giant dent.

Clefable can do a good job being mix.

Toxic is cool.

Now gligars are carrying quick attack instead of rock slide. Endflailers and subpetayas are pretty common, and QA is needed to counter them.

Rock Slide is virtually useless on Gligar, Iron Tail and QA are both more common.

Reflect Solrock is everywhere. Bulk Up Granbull is everywhere. Nobody uses Hitmonlee anymore, Top is better.

Toxic is on everything.

Where's Hypno? Where's Lanturn? Where's Grumpig? Where's Muk? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SPECIAL DEFENSE?

Electabuzz is pretty much trash at this point. You're better off with Manectric with Crunch or just HP Grass/Ice for more power than Buzz. HP Grass does like 35% to Lanturn WITH PETAYA anyways.

Walrein is all over No BL UU, with Encore being awesome, and Double STAB Surf/Ice Beam ruining a lot of stuff. Beats Omastar in Rain, too.

Pinsir is also a premiere physical attacker, and while it DOES get walled by Gligar, it's still worth a mention, especially if Hitmonlee is mentioned. Also CB Double-Edge from Pinsir ruins Gligar anyways.

This needs more mention of how much more prevalent subflail/subversal is without Tyranitar about to ruin the fun. It's one of the golden rules of UU to always have someone with a priority move on your team.

Flail and reversal usually aren't worth it, tbh. You'll kill like one guy before they come in with their QAer and just finish it off. It's not really gaining anything so you might as well use something more useful like CBlee instead of Reversallee, since it's going to hit more without dying.

Aggron is complete shit imo. It's defense and x4 resistance to Normal/Flying moves is hot at first, but then x4 weakness to ground is painful. If Fearow is able to outpredict with HP Ground, it's going to nail the incoming Aggron and destroy it. On top of that, Aggron itself is not able to do a lot, other than Twave+Subpunch. Aggron also gets countered HARD by Gligar; something that it's supposed to wall, which is really bad. Hitmonlee also takes care of it since he has limber, and even if it's a Reversal lee, it would take it out at about 75% HP or so. Hell, even Grumpig has a good chance of taking it out, if it subs on the Twave and gets some CM's in.

good start but I believe you are incorrect about the use of CBers nowadays. It is smarter now to run less to no CBers because of getting predicted and not having it work out well. Kangaskhan is an example of this, she has awesome HP, Speed and Attack. If it gets predicted that she will use Return, so what? EQ the Aggron and Shadow Ball the Misdrevious. Cradily is a diffrent story and will require FP to actually deal damage but thats the only wall that will stop these Normals from wrecking havoc.

Other examples:

Stantler@Leftovers
-Return
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake
-Hypnosis

Granbull@Leftovers
-Return
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake
-Heal Bell

These are the majorly used. There are more things to use but these are majorly accepted nowadays and oddly enough they all get owned by Cradily, save Hypnosising it or Heal Bell.

Gligar's influence is so overrated. Don't even start about Jackal's battle, he had 3 counters and all of them got haxxed. Gligar is just as important to cover as anything else that sweeps a little, but it's oh so easy thanks to the many available UU waters out there, as well as Solrock and Lunatone to a lesser extent.

However, if you happen to have 2 or more pokes weak to Gligar, then your team does get raped. Gligar is important to keep in mind, even though it isn't game breaking, since it can SD on the switch and it almost anything hard. Immunity to EQ and Tbolt is nothing to snif at.

Saying Reversal isn't that good because they'll just switch in their QAer proves my point. If they have to use a QAer, it means Reversal is a lot more prevalent than it was in standard.

Gligar is influential but it can be a HUGE help to your team...I remember I had a team with CM Slowbro and CMPass Lunatone that pretty much won when Gligar came in. It's pretty simple to counter. Even with SDs it doesn't do much to Walrein/Quagsire/Slowbro/Lunatone/Solrock, most of which OHKO it.

Siphai said:
However, if you happen to have 2 or more pokes weak to Gligar, then your team does get raped. Gligar is important to keep in mind, even though it isn't game breaking, since it can SD on the switch and it almost anything hard. Immunity to EQ and Tbolt is nothing to snif at.
If you have 2 good Gligar counters to compensate that weakness, it's really nothing to worry about, especially that extremely sturdy Blastoise set. :[

Mekkah said:
If you have 2 good Gligar counters to compensate that weakness, it's really nothing to worry about, especially that extremely sturdy Blastoise set. :[
Blastoise sucks =(

Yeah, if you have 2 good gligar counters. But you see, Gligar has influenced the UU metagame enough, that it's become that you need 2 good Gligar counters on your team. It's not like Fearow where you can just stick Aggron or [insert physical wall here], since Gligar can hit pretty much anything hard, except for Solrock and a couple of waters (Lanturn does not counter Gligar, no matter what anyone says).

Nearly everything requires two counters minimally, not just Gligar. Unless it's something (again like that Blastoise) that can take the hits all the match. I'd say Pinsir is a lot more threatening than Gligar.

Plus Waters are extremely handy to have anyway, so to say Gligar changes a lot? No.

Siphai said:
Aggron also gets countered HARD by Gligar; something that it's supposed to wall, which is really bad.
I've been recently using Ice Beam over Focus Punch on Aggron seeing he has the power to lure Gligar in and OHKOs with some Sp. Attack EVs. I was forced to use it because I've been testing out Bellywrath which is only 100% walled by Gligar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)