Metagame Snapshots and Diversity Numbers

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hereunder are the metagame snapshots and diversity numbers for the previous months for Standard, UU, Uber and Suspect ladders(where applicable).

Since I'm issuing these for the first time, a quick note on how these work is in order.

What I call a metagame snapshot is a list of Pokemon that are typically used in that metagame. Not all these Pokemon are used equally, however. They are listed in five lines. Two, three, four, five and six of the Pokemon listed up to the first, second, third, fourth and fifth line respectively are typically used in a team for that metagame.

The diversity numbers are just the number of Pokemon in each line, and finally their sum.

Standard Ladder:

December

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Scizor Heatran Salamence Tyranitar Gyarados [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Zapdos Blissey Infernape Lucario Gengar Metagross Swampert [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Bronzong Celebi Jirachi Azelf Starmie Vaporeon Machamp Suicune Kingdra Gliscor [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Breloom Togekiss Skarmory Weavile Rotom-H Magnezone Electivire Flygon Mamoswine Snorlax Hippowdon Aerodactyl Heracross Forretress Cresselia [SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Jolteon Shaymin-S Dusknoir Tentacruel Rhyperior Dragonite Porygon-Z Ninjask Empoleon Dugtrio Alakazam Yanmega Donphan Gallade Rotom-W Milotic Porygon2 Umbreon Smeargle Ludicolo Abomasnow Ambipom Spiritomb Roserade Froslass Charizard Slowbro Arcanine [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 5 + 7 + 10 + 15 + 28 = 65
November

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Scizor Heatran Salamence Tyranitar Zapdos [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Blissey Gyarados Lucario Infernape Gengar Metagross Swampert [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Bronzong Azelf Celebi Vaporeon Shaymin-S Starmie Skarmory Suicune Kingdra Machamp [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Jirachi Gliscor Togekiss Rotom-H Snorlax Weavile Forretress Electivire Mamoswine Breloom Hippowdon Tentacruel Heracross Magnezone Aerodactyl [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Rhyperior Flygon Dusknoir Cresselia Dragonite Jolteon Porygon-Z Dugtrio Rotom-W Ninjask Alakazam Donphan Empoleon Smeargle Gallade Milotic Umbreon Yanmega Porygon2 Roserade Ludicolo Spiritomb Ambipom Abomasnow Crobat Hitmontop Charizard Slowbro Weezing [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 5 + 7 + 10 + 15 + 29 = 66
October

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Heatran Scizor Salamence Zapdos Blissey [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Gyarados Lucario Gengar Tyranitar Shaymin-S Metagross [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Infernape Swampert Deoxys-S Bronzong Azelf Suicune Celebi Vaporeon Kingdra [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Starmie Mamoswine Weavile Forretress Rotom-H Jirachi Togekiss Machamp Gliscor Skarmory Electivire Snorlax Heracross Cresselia [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Dusknoir Breloom Hippowdon Dugtrio Tentacruel Magnezone Jolteon Donphan Dragonite Rotom-W Porygon-Z Yanmega Aerodactyl Gallade Ninjask Alakazam Milotic Spiritomb Rhyperior Roserade Umbreon Empoleon Flygon Smeargle Porygon2 Crobat Ambipom Ludicolo [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 5 + 6 + 9 + 14 + 28 = 62

Underused Ladder:

December

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Claydol Clefable Rotom Hitmontop Steelix [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Froslass Altaria Hitmonlee Ninetales Venusaur Swellow [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Absol Lanturn Weezing Persian Drifblim Nidoking Primeape Glaceon Toxicroak [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Miltank Scyther Poliwrath Drapion Sharpedo Hypno Grumpig Leafeon Kabutops Blastoise Lapras Camerupt Electrode Luxray Nidoqueen[/SIZE] [/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Manectric Venomoth Gastrodon Meganium Jynx Mantine Articuno Omastar Jumpluff Probopass Hitmonchan Lopunny Rapidash Flareon Kangaskhan Gorebyss Muk Victreebel Bibarel Linoone Vileplume Shuckle Sandslash [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 5 + 6 + 9 + 15 + 23 = 58
November

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

[SIZE=2]Hitmontop Clefable Claydol Rotom [/SIZE][SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Steelix Ninetales Froslass Venusaur Absol Weezing [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Drifblim Lanturn Altaria Toxicroak Mantine Hitmonlee Nidoking Swellow Blastoise Hypno [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Leafeon Glaceon Drapion Hitmonchan Sharpedo Scyther Primeape Miltank Kabutops Lapras Poliwrath Manectric Jumpluff Probopass [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Nidoqueen Camerupt Lopunny Electrode Articuno Kangaskhan Persian Meganium Venomoth Linoone Jynx Grumpig Golduck Omastar Shedinja Kingler Gorebyss Banette Relicanth Flareon Quagsire [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 4 + 6 + 10 + 14 + 21 = 55
October

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Claydol Steelix Hitmontop Rotom Clefable [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Ninetales Venusaur Hitmonlee Swellow Absol Drifblim Froslass [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Weezing Altaria Hypno Electrode Kabutops Primeape Toxicroak Lanturn Drapion Blastoise [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Manectric Leafeon Venomoth Poliwrath Scyther Articuno Sharpedo Glaceon Probopass Gorebyss Lapras Nidoking Miltank Omastar [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Mantine Jynx Kangaskhan Aerodactyl Banette Nidoqueen Grumpig Muk Sandslash Persian Lopunny Gastrodon Vileplume Meganium Aggron Golduck Hitmonchan Rapidash Victreebel Cacturne Jumpluff Relicanth [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 5 + 7 + 10 + 14 + 22 = 58

Uber Ladder:

December

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Kyogre Darkrai Rayquaza [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Dialga Groudon [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Palkia Lugia Mewtwo Scizor [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Blissey Deoxys-A Latias Giratina Garchomp[/SIZE] [/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Giratina-O Deoxys-S Tyranitar Mew Metagross Ho-oh Forretress Wobbuffet Celebi Latios Deoxys-D Manaphy Shaymin-S Jirachi [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 3 + 2 + 4 + 5 + 14 = 28
November

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

[SIZE=2]Kyogre Rayquaza Groudon [/SIZE][SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Darkrai Dialga [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Mewtwo Palkia Lugia [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Scizor Deoxys-S Deoxys-A Giratina Blissey [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Latias Mew Metagross Garchomp Bronzong Tyranitar Giratina-O Forretress Ho-oh Manaphy Shedinja [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 3 + 2 + 3 + 5 + 11 = 24
October

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Kyogre Rayquaza [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Groudon Dialga Deoxys-A [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Palkia Darkrai Mewtwo [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Lugia Deoxys-S Latias Scizor Giratina [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Garchomp Blissey Metagross Forretress Bronzong Tyranitar Mew Giratina-O Jirachi Latios [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 2 + 3 + 3 + 5 + 10 = 23

Suspect Ladder:

December

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Latias Scizor Tyranitar [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Salamence Heatran Gyarados [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Jirachi Magnezone Metagross Zapdos Swampert [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Blissey Infernape Lucario Celebi Bronzong Machamp Azelf Suicune Rotom-H[/SIZE] [/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Vaporeon Mamoswine Flygon Gengar Dugtrio Forretress Starmie Rotom-W Kingdra Heracross Snorlax Weavile Skarmory Aerodactyl Empoleon [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 3 + 3 + 5 + 9 + 15 = 35
November

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

[SIZE=2][I]N/A[/I][/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: [I]N/A[/I]
October

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Heatran Salamence Zapdos Scizor [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Deoxys-S Suicune Blissey Tyranitar [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Gengar Gyarados Swampert Rotom-H Metagross Celebi [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Lucario Bronzong Mamoswine Infernape Jirachi Forretress Kingdra [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Vaporeon Azelf Machamp Starmie Rotom-W Magnezone Skarmory Tentacruel Hippowdon Cresselia Breloom Rotom-C Togekiss Mismagius Heracross Dugtrio Yanmega Dusknoir Rhyperior Weavile [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 4 + 4 + 6 + 7 + 20 = 41

They are listed in five lines. Two, three, four, five and six of the Pokemon listed up to the first, second, third, fourth and fifth line respectively are typically used in a team for that metagame.
Could you elaborate a little on what that means? Not so much the lines part but the part about "2 pokemon in this line are typically used in a team", "4 pokemon in this line are typically used in a team", etc.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I elaborated in the metagame snapshots themselves.

It's 'Two of the Pokemon UP TO this line are used in a typical team', by the way.

Also I'm trying to edit the original post to remove that bolding effect but somehow the forum isn't allowing me. :O

I think I get it now that I see it says up to this line, not in this line. But shouldn't the top line say "six of the pokemon up to this line are typically used in a typical team", not the bottom one? That's what's got me confused now.

The top line and below seems to contain all the pokemon that are used in a typical OU team, so the top line should say "six of the pokemon up to this line are typically used in a typical team", while the bottom lines seem to contain pokemon that are used rarely and generally only take up two slots of a team. Am I wrong in thinking this?

X-Act

The top line and below seems to contain all the pokemon that are used in a typical OU team, so the top line should say "six of the pokemon up to this line are typically used in a typical team", while the bottom lines seem to contain pokemon that are used rarely and generally only take up two slots of a team. Am I wrong in thinking this?
What do you mean by a 'typical team'? What kind of percentage appearance makes it typical?
I think I can answer these two together.

Let me use the metagame snapshot for Standard in December as an example.

Code:
[U]Metagame Snapshot[/U]

Scizor Heatran Salamence Tyranitar Gyarados [SIZE=1](Two of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Zapdos Blissey Infernape Lucario Gengar Metagross Swampert [SIZE=1](Three of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Bronzong Celebi Jirachi Azelf Starmie Vaporeon Machamp Suicune Kingdra Gliscor [SIZE=1](Four of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Breloom Togekiss Skarmory Weavile Rotom-H Magnezone Electivire Flygon Mamoswine Snorlax Hippowdon Aerodactyl Heracross Forretress Cresselia [SIZE=1](Five of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]
Jolteon Shaymin-S Dusknoir Tentacruel Rhyperior Dragonite Porygon-Z Ninjask Empoleon Dugtrio Alakazam Yanmega Donphan Gallade Rotom-W Milotic Porygon2 Umbreon Smeargle Ludicolo Abomasnow Ambipom Spiritomb Roserade Froslass Charizard Slowbro Arcanine [SIZE=1](Six of the Pokemon up to this line are in a typical team)[/SIZE]

[U]Diversity Numbers[/U]: 5 + 7 + 10 + 15 + 28 = 65
Two of Scizor, Heatran, Salamence, Tyranitar and Gyarados are in a typical Standard metagame team. Three of Scizor, Heatran, Salamence, Tyranitar, Gyarados, Zapdos, Blissey, Infernape, Lucario, Gengar, Metagross and Swampert are in a typical Standard metagame team, etc. Of course, it might happen that all 6 Pokemon of a team are from the list mentioned above, and it might happen that none of them are, because the player might be using, say, an Eeveelution team or whatever.

The way these are calculated is as follows. The usages are first turned into cumulative percentages of that Pokemon being in a team. Then:
  • Two Pokemon from the first Pokemon till the Pokemon where the cumulative percentage first exceeds 1 are surely included in a team (with minimum probability equal to this cumulative percentage minus 1).
  • Three Pokemon from the first Pokemon till the Pokemon where the cumulative percentage first exceeds 2 are surely included in a team (with minimum probability equal to this cumulative percentage divided by 2 minus 1).
  • Four Pokemon from the first Pokemon till the Pokemon where the cumulative percentage first exceeds 3 are surely included in a team (with minimum probability equal to this cumulative percentage divided by 3 minus 1).
  • Five Pokemon from the first Pokemon till the Pokemon where the cumulative percentage first exceeds 4 are surely included in a team (with minimum probability equal to this cumulative percentage divided by 4 minus 1).
  • Six Pokemon from the first Pokemon till the Pokemon where the cumulative percentage first exceeds 5 are surely included in a team (with minimum probability equal to this cumulative percentage divided by 5 minus 1).
This is what I mean by 'typical team'. Since the minimum probability is never zero at those points, there must surely exist teams that have two, three, four, five or six of those Pokemon, and hence I call these teams 'typical'.

Interesting, so according to your data, the metagame hasbeen decentralizing gradually for the past few month aside from suspect which wasn't present in november

Very nice.

I have:
1 from the 1st line
2 from the 2nd line
2 from the 3rd line
1 from the 4th line

Typical team I guess. Very interesting though, and quite accurate.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am not a stat freak, does this mean that the metagame is getting decentralized or more centralized?

X-Act

It looks like the metagame has decentralised slightly with the removal of Deoxys-S (October had a diversity of 62 while November and December had 66 and 65).

Shaymin-S's removal from Standard hasn't had any tangible effect on the statistics yet. January's stats will give us a better idea about that.

The Suspect ladder is much more centralised than Standard, but this is to be expected, given that:

1) There's a Pokemon that's being tested, so the metagame will naturally centralise a bit around it.
2) Suspect players are usually better players on average than Standard ones.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also I'm trying to edit the original post to remove that bolding effect but somehow the forum isn't allowing me. :O
You had some stray bold tags in the post, I think. I found four "oddly placed" bold tags that looked like the culprit. I took the liberty of editing them out, and it seems to have fixed it. If I messed up your intended formatting, I apologize.

X-Act

Actually, thanks a lot Doug. I retried to edit it today and it just went to an endless loop.

This is interesting, nice job X-Act. A quick question, are the diversity numbers only there for sake of percentages or are they used for something else as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)