Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't think random would be any fun at all. Imagine trying to nuke a ferrothorn with fire blast and getting completely screwed over by Primordial Sea just coming up out of nowhere. It seems really anti-competitive and it's not possible to really account for any of that during team building, like, 'well this pokemon WOULD be good if Trick Room happens to pop up' except you have no way of knowing that so in practice Trick Room would just be randomly screwing over sweepers and mons who plan to take damage before recovering instead of after etc etc. Your focus sash lead suddenly doesn't get that turn 2 because whoops, hail took effect on turn 1.

Whereas with a predetermined order you can kind of plan for that and decide 'okay on the TR turns I'm going to have these 2 mons to send in because if I just have one it's too easy to predict, mon x is just an overall good mon even outside of trickroom whereas mon y takes advantage of other effects like (sandstorm/hail/whatever)', it adds another element to teambuilding and could actually make for some interesting strategies.

Also, would weather from this mechanic overwrite pre-existing weather set by sunny day/rain dance/etc or drizzle/drought/etc or would it be sort of 'phantom weather' so to speak? Would the weather from the mechanic continue on turns where another non-weather effect follows it? Same questions for terrains.
I actually think random would be better - a set order seems like it would almost exclusively benefit balance/stall teams that can stall until the effect that benefits them shows up, while heavy offense wouldn't be much better off than if they were randomized. I do see how random could be a problem, but I think a lot of the issues with randomness could be alleviated by having the random effect start at the end of the turn instead of the beginning; for example: game starts, Trick Room appears before anyone chooses their moves -> Trick Room is in effect throughout turn 1, then at the end of the turn Trick Room ends and hail appears (but doesn't do damage yet) -> hail is in effect turn 2 and damages at the end of the turn, then hail ends and Psychic Terrain goes into effect. That way you can switch out to keep the hail damage you know is coming from messing with your sash, or use Protect to wait until Primordial Sea ends before nuking that Ferrothorn, etc.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Gen 1.7
Metagame premise: Gen 1 mechanics with gen 7 mons and moves. That means things like no physical-special split, the special stat is back, hyper beam and blizzard are good, amnesia is a god, etc.
Potential bans and threats: Wrap and clones might be too much with better users than dnite and cloyster. There could be some fast Pokémon that are too much due to the crit mechanics of this gen.
Questions for the community:
How should the special stat be decided? I can see two ways it could be done, either higher Special stat or special attack.

Is there any potentially broken threats I missed?

Gen 1.7
Metagame premise: Gen 1 mechanics with gen 7 mons and moves. That means things like no physical-special split, the special stat is back, hyper beam and blizzard are good, amnesia is a god, etc.
Potential bans and threats: Wrap and clones might be too much with better users than dnite and cloyster. There could be some fast Pokémon that are too much due to the crit mechanics of this gen.
How should the special stat be decided? I can see two ways it could be done, either higher Special stat or special attack.

is fairy a special type?
also koko is amazing, shell smash is amazing and serperior is damn good with the free amnesia every leaf storm, assuming abilities don't stop existing. manaphy's tail glow is insanity. ghosts are rekt by psychics now, Scolipede can be a great sweeper with the constantly ascending crit chance, Mega Diancie can run a physical set more effectively since EP is physical now, Bulu and Kartana suffer, Z-Conversion is disgusting.

lost heros

Meme Master
Gen 1.7

There were a couple of metagames last generation with similar concepts.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/classic-elements.3500344/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rby-6-0.3575499/

They never really took off. I think it’s because generational changes have so many changes, especially from generation 1, that it’s hard to adapt back and forth. (Maybe it’s because they were made so late). Plus also gen 1 mechanics are just not the greatest, and having to back adapt new mechanics to them might be difficult and sorta push it into pet mod territory.

Not an OM, just an idea I had, wanted to get feedback.

ChrystalFalchion's LC OMs Tourney! (working title)

Have you ever wondered what LC would be like if it were given the OMs treatment? Well, wonder no more! In this tournament, you will be using Little Cup Pokemon but with a twist! This tournament will be Double Elimination, best of 3. The 3 matches will be STABmons, Almost Any Ability and Camomons.

Rules:

POST REPLAYS!
Standard tournament rules
You must play all 3 matches, and 1 of each above metagame. The order is up to you
After you have played your match, along with the results please include some info on how various Pokemon performed in the meta. You don't have to write an essay - a sentence or 2 is fine. I plan to write an article about the tourney afterwards.
E.g. Won 2-1. Quiver Dance Dewpider is awesome, hits like a truck and very bulky. Love Sheer Force Gastly. Ghost / Fighting Honedge was really good.

Banlist
Everything banned from normal LC (duh)
Everything banned from regular STABmons, Camomons and AAA

16 people, 4 subs.

How to play.

1. Open Teambuilder, choose Little Cup and pick Add Pokemon
2. Build the team, including the new moves for STABmons and the new abilities for AAA.
3. Then in the box labelled Format, change it to either STABmons, AAA or Camomons and click Validate.
4. After this, simply challenge your opponent to a STABmons, AAA or Camomons battle.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Not an OM, just an idea I had, wanted to get feedback.

ChrystalFalchion's LC OMs Tourney! (working title)

Have you ever wondered what LC would be like if it were given the OMs treatment? Well, worry no more! In this tournament, you will be using Little Cup Pokemon but with a twist! This tournament will be Double Elimination, best of 3. The 3 matches will be STABmons, Almost Any Ability and Camomons.

Rules:

POST REPLAYS!
Post Importables (if this is a success I intend to write an article about it)
No scouting
No counterteaming
You must play all 3 matches, and 1 of each above metagame

Banlist
Everything banned from normal LC (duh)
All moves banned from regular STABmons
All abilities banned from regular AAA
Diglett, Trapinch and Wynaut are banned from STABmons (they all get vastly expanded movepools, meaning they can trap and kill much more)
Baton Pass is banned from STABmons (All Normal-types get it, along with Z-Happy Hour. You don't have to be a genius to see how broken that would be.)
If enough people feel a certain Pokemon / ability is broken in a meta, it will be banned.

16 people, 4 subs.
Sounds like a lot of fun! A couple things...

1-Mention how people should play. This is important because, say STABmons has the OU ban on Arena Trap, so playing there would make your ban on Diglett unnecessary. They can't play in LC, and custom wouldn't work for Camo, so presumably you're going to have to work with OU clauses or get rid of Camomons. Or you could get someone to code and host the meta for you.

2- Requiring importables is kinda strange, it means that people can't use the same sets more than once easily, even if they didn't reveal their sets in a previous match.

3- Instead of "no scouting no counterteaming" you can just say smogon tournament rules apply and link to the rules. They tend to cover that sort of stuff pretty well (Although counterstyling will always happen)

I would be interested in joining though.

This is just a rough idea so...

Metagame premise
: Ubers receive -20 to all their stats, and are legal in OU
Potential bans and threats: Deoxys-Attack could be to powerful, even with the -20 to all stats
Questions for the community: Has this been done already? What would be a good name?

This is just a rough idea so...

Metagame premise
: Ubers receive -20 to all their stats, and are legal in OU
Potential bans and threats: Deoxys-Attack could be to powerful, even with the -20 to all stats
Questions for the community: Has this been done already? What would be a good name?
IIRC, Gods Among Us was a Pet Mod that nerfed Ubers to function in OU.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Totem Battles

Format: 2v2 Doubles

Metagame Premisse: The first slot of your party is a Totem Pokémon and the second is it's ally. Player may choose a mon that is RU or below to be a Totem, and a mon that is PU or below to be the ally. Totems will have all of their stats boosted by 1.3x and the stat which it's nature boosts will be raised by one stage upon switching in (Boosts nothing on neutral nature). The Ally Pokémon does not recieve any boosts, but it will be respawned one turn after it faints.

Bans: Choice items on the Totem, moves that faints the user on the Ally. Regigigas is also banned as the totem.

Questions:
- Does this actually sound interesting?
- Is it way too complicated?
- Are there any mons who would be broken by being either a totem or an ally?

Last edited:
Totem Battles

Format: 2v2 Doubles

Metagame Premisse: The first slot of your party is a Totem Pokémon and the second is it's ally. Player may choose a mon that is RU or below to be a Totem, and a mon that is PU or below to be the ally. Totems will have all of their stats boosted by 1.3x and the stat which it's nature boosts will be raised by one stage upon switching in (Boosts nothing on neutral nature). The Ally Pokémon does not recieve any boosts, but it will be respawned one turn after it faints.

Bans: Choice items on the Totem, moves that faints the user on the Ally. Regigigas is also banned as the totem.

Questions:
- Does this actually sound interesting?
- Is it way too complicated?
- Are there any mons who would be broken by being either a totem or an ally?
It is worth noting that the bulk will scale more than the offenses, since both the HP and the defenses are boosted, but the +1 mitigates that.

Regular Mew:
252 SpA Mew Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mew: 61-72 (17.8 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO

Totem Mew
+1 252 SpA Mew Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mew: 87-103 (21.6 - 25.6%) -- 1.6% chance to 4HKO

In fact, pokémon will be a little less bulkier, aside the ones who will boost a defense. I feel the totems would play much like 1v1, so what really differentiates is the ally. Charjabug and Cherrim could be good allies, they aren't probably gonna survive much but matches will be fast, and even if not, you can use Protect until they revive. A ally with intimidate may be decent but wont work on special attackers (special walls may look scary due to this).

I have some questions:
  • I assume you only have to KO the totem? Since the totem keeps spawning.
  • Why the Regigigas ban?

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
- I thought about only KOing the Totem, but since the totem is knocked out, after the ally faints the battle will be over since it would have to wait a turn before coming back
- I think it might be a bit too much with the boosts. I won't ban it right away but I'll keep an eye on it

aftermoveth

all moves when successfully executed trigger an additional secondary effect,
chosen here in the order of: weather/terrain -> other full field effects -> hazards -> others that affect only one side -> status or boosting

grass: grassy terrain
fire: sun
water: rain
rock: sand
electric: electric terrain
ice: hail
ground: spikes
steel: king shield
poison: toxic spikes
flying: tailwind
bug: sticky web
dragon: dragon dance
fighting: mat block
psychic: psychic terrain
ghost: destiny bond
dark: embargo
fairy: misty terrain
normal: lucky chant/safeguard/perish song

aftermoveth

all moves when successfully executed trigger an additional secondary effect,
chosen here in the order of: weather/terrain -> other full field effects -> hazards -> others that affect only one side -> status or boosting

grass: grassy terrain
fire: sun
water: rain
rock: sand
electric: electric terrain
ice: hail
ground: spikes
steel: king shield
poison: toxic spikes
flying: tailwind
bug: sticky web
dragon: dragon dance
fighting: mat block
psychic: psychic terrain
ghost: destiny bond
dark: embargo
fairy: misty terrain
normal: lucky chant/safeguard/perish song
I like the idea, but maybe thee are better options for some types

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
Mach Punch will activate priority Mat Block. Same for Bullet Punch with Kings Shield. These are pretty broken right now.

How about changing Ground to Gravity and giving Spikes to Steel? Then giving Fighting Odor Sleuth? Maybe switch Ghos to Trick-or-Treat?

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
I'm pretty sure that already was meta in Gen 6, with the exact same name even?
Actually, I've seen someone posting it on this thread for Gen 7 a few pages ago too

Guess what i’m bringing back...
Megamons
Ya y’all know (and probably love) this metagame. Basically it’s an Uber’s base metagame where mons can mega evolve without their stones. This means mega salamence can hold an sky plate and mega camerupt can hold a life orb etc. Here’s some threats that i’m Quickbanning.

Groudon-Primal @ Groundium Z
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Precipice Blades

Kinda obvious this was gonna be a QB. There’s a million other sets tho this is my favourite

Kyogre-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Again, a million other sets but this is my favourite. QB or else we’d have gen V all over again.

Gengar-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

This mon’s a little more 1dimensional. It’s shadow tag tho.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Choice Specs
Ability: Insomnia
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Not as sure about MMX or Ultra Necrozma (not as fast or as powerful). This is broken, however. 100 other sets again, but i like choice.
Other things I’d like a look at is blaziken and mmx. Other than that I thing this is goodtogo and I would love your opinion

Last edited:
Guess what i’m bringing back...
Megamons
Ya y’all know (and probably love) this metagame. Basically it’s an Uber’s base metagame where mons can mega evolve without their stones. This means mega salamence can hold an sky plate and mega camerupt can hold a life orb etc. Here’s some threats that i’m Quickbanning.

Groudon-Primal @ Groundium Z
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Precipice Blades

Kinda obvious this was gonna be a QB. There’s a million other sets tho this is my favourite

Kyogre-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Primordial Sea
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Again, a million other sets but this is my favourite. QB or else we’d have gen V all over again.

Gengar-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

This mon’s a little more 1dimensional. It’s shadow tag tho.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Choice Specs
Ability: Insomnia
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Not as sure about MMX (not as fast or as powerful). This is broken, however. 100 other sets again, but i like choice.
Other things I’d like a look at is blaziken and mmx. Other than that I thing this is goodtogo and I would love your opinion
primals aren't megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)