Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
This sounds interesting but... Spot light+ destiny bond protect then spot light + destiny bond so on and so forth

That's the only thing I can think of that would be terrifying
- "moves that faints the user on the Ally are banned"
So, Destiny Bond cannot be used.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Bumping this because I still want to hear some thougts on it, and to see whod be interested
In my opinion, it could be real fun. But, instead of a stat multiplier, why don't just put the allies to level 90, or something like that? It would be less complicated and more linked to the totem battles of the games.

I'll do a post with sample teams later, cause this meta seems really really interesting for me.

it makes sense to have a boost as that's what happens in the game I think it should get a boost into its 2 highest stats at the beginning of the battle

destiny bond does not faint the user it faints the foe destiny bond spam is a thing which disproves that it is a user fainting move like explosion, final gambit, or lunar dance all of which are not spammable

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
it makes sense to have a boost as that's what happens in the game I think it should get a boost into its 2 highest stats at the beginning of the battle
AquaticPanic has already talked about how the boosts would works : x1.3 for each stat, x1.5 boost in the stat buffed by the nature.

I proposed to change the x1.3 boost with a dicrease of the allies' level (from 100 to 90 or 80).

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
destiny bond does not faint the user it faints the foe destiny bond spam is a thing which disproves that it is a user fainting move like explosion, final gambit, or lunar dance all of which are not spammable
It requires the user to fait to work. I guess it was just poor wording on my post.

Basically, anything that would need your mon to faint won't work, so that it can't be abused.

(OM Idea)

Shared Power
Metagame Premise: All of the team’s abilities are active at once.

Basically, this is a rather chaotic OU-based metagame where each Pokemon has its own abilities plus all of its teammates’. For example, Heatran can have Levitate, Sheer Force, and Intimidate if it’s teammates are Latios, Nidoking, and Landorus-Therian, respectively. With an initial banlist to balance certain abilities that are broken, this could open the door for many different archetypes. Hyper Offense has access to Sheer Force, Adaptability*, and Beast Boost, while stall is usable as well with Regenerator and Unaware. Playstyles like rain get to enjoy Drizzle + Swift Swim + Water Bubble shenanigans, but they have to be careful around Water Absorb teams!​

Potential Bans and Threats:
  • Huge Power: no explanation needed
  • Pure Power: no explanation needed
  • Speed Boost: no explanation needed
  • Mold Breaker: Basically, this ruins the point of the entire OM and banning it keeps playstyles like rain in check. Invalidating immunities, unaware, etc is really stupid. Teravolt is banned as well.
  • Magic Bounce: Being completely immune to status moves like hazards, toxic, etc would break the metagame and completely invalidate certain Pokemon.
  • Contrary: May not be blatantly broken due to all of the Unaware users running around, but this will definitely be on the chopping block for obvious reasons.
  • Fur Coat: Another great ability that we’ll have to see about keeping, since it comes with the cost of having to use Furfrou/Persian-A.
  • Fluffy: Similar to above, except Bewear is actually decent.
  • Illusion: Never knowing what the Pokemon in front of you actually is hurts the metagame and gives Illusion teams countless opportunities for free turns.
  • Comatose: Phazing with Comatose is still as ridiculous here as it is in AAA.
  • Protean: Protean on the whole team seems way too good in combination with Adaptability, so this is definitely an ability to watch out for.
  • Drizzle: Probably the least apparent of these, Drizzle may be looked at down the road rather than instantly as rain teams will undoubtedly be a dominant playstyle. Banning Drizzle would make rain manageable, yet still usable as Pelipper can still support the team with rain. I want to know what you guys think of this one.

Keep in mind that you can STILL use all of these abilities on the Pokemon who learn it, but the ability won’t be shared among the rest of the team. This means that you can have a Mega Diancie on your team and it will receive the abilities of your teammates, but it won’t share Magic Bounce. The banlist/threatlist is preliminary and subject to definite change.
- While it cannot pass Wonder Guard to the rest of its teammates, Shedinja can have access to Sturdy, Overcoat, Bulletproof, as well as immunities to Fire, making it a huge threat to teams that can’t wear it down with passive damage (Magic Guard and Magic Bounce will presumedly be banned.)

- Tapu Lele may prove to be a very problematic Pokemon. Blessing the entire team with an immunity to priority attacks and a boost to Psychic moves, while being able to receive boosts from Sheer Force, Adaptability, etc means it can 2HKO the entire metagame with just it’s STAB coverage.

Other Pokemon could presumedly be added to the banlist as we identify what should and shouldn’t go.
11/25/17 - Removed Wonder Guard from ability banlist since Shedinja is banned
11/25/17 - Added Protean, Drizzle to threatlist
11/26/17 - Removed Magic Guard from initial threatlist. Added Tapu Lele.

Q&A:

Q: What happens when a Pokemon faints? Does the ability remain active?
A: Yes. Even after a Pokemon faints, it’s ability will continue to support the rest of the team. This is to avoid battles turning into instant snowballs once a Pokemon has been fainted.

Q: How do Megas work?
A: The ability before Mega Evolving is shared with the rest of the team until you actually Mega Evolve. Mega Charizard Y won’t support the team with Drought until it Mega Evolves.

Q: Do abilities stack? Will two Intimidate Pokemon make the opponent’s attack lower twice?
A: No.

Q: How do Skill Swap, Entrainment, etc work?
A: Ability-altering moves like these will only affect the Pokemon’s native abilities.

Q: What about conflicting abilities like Drought and Drizzle?
A: The order in which abilities trigger is determined by the team order. So if Torkoal is your first Pokemon and Pelipper is your last, then Rain will trigger after Sun. Not like anyone should use double weather, but just clearing it up.

Questions for the community: The name is subject to change. Do you guys have any ideas on a name that could better reflect the premise of the metagame? And overall, what do you think? It definitely seems a little crazy, but I could see this meta being fun with the appropriate tiering.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
(OM Idea)

Linkability

Basically, this is a rather chaotic OU-based metagame where each Pokemon has its own abilities plus all of its teammates’. For example, Heatran can have Levitate, Sheer Force, and Intimidate if it’s teammates are Latios, Nidoking, and Landorus-Therian, respectively. With an initial banlist to balance certain abilities that are broken, this could open the door for many different archetypes. Hyper Offense has access to Sheer Force, Adaptability*, and Beast Boost, while stall is usable as well with Regenerator and Unaware. Playstyles like rain get to enjoy Drizzle + Swift Swim + Water Bubble shenanigans, but they have to be careful around Water Absorb teams!​

• Wonder Guard: no explanation needed
  • Mold Breaker: Basically, this ruins the point of the entire OM and banning it keeps playstyles like rain in check. Invalidating immunities, unaware, etc is really stupid. Teravolt is banned as well.
  • Magic Bounce: Being completely immune to status moves like hazards, toxic, etc would break the metagame and completely invalidate certain Pokemon.
  • Magic Guard: This one isn’t as obvious, but we’ll have to see. Having your entire team being immune to passive damage may be too overwhelming for stall teams.
  • Contrary: May not be blatantly broken due to all of the Unaware users running around, but this will definitely be on the chopping block for obvious reasons.
  • Fur Coat: Another great ability that we’ll have to see about keeping, since it comes with the cost of having to use Furfrou/Persian-A.
  • Illusion: Never knowing what the Pokemon in front of you actually is hurts the metagame and gives Illusion teams countless opportunities for free turns.

Keep in mind that you can STILL use all of these abilities on the Pokemon who learn it, but the ability won’t be shared among the rest of the team. This means that you can have a Mega Diancie on your team and it will receive the abilities of your teammates, but it won’t share Magic Bounce. The banlist/threatlist is preliminary and subject to definite change.
- While it cannot pass Wonder Guard to the rest of its teammates, Shedinja can have access to Sturdy, Overcoat, Bulletproof, as well as immunities to Fire, making it a huge threat to teams that can’t wear it down with passive damage (Magic Guard and Magic Bounce will presumedly be banned.)

Other Pokemon could presumedly be added to the banlist as we identify what should and shouldn’t go.

Q&A:

A: Yes. Even after a Pokemon faints, it’s ability will continue to support the rest of the team. This is to avoid battles turning into instant snowballs once a Pokemon has been fainted.

A: The ability before Mega Evolving is shared with the rest of the team until you actually Mega Evolve. Mega Charizard Y won’t support the team with Drought until it Mega Evolves.

Q: Do abilities stack? Will two Intimidate Pokemon make the opponent’s attack lower twice?

A: Ability-altering moves like these will only affect the Pokemon’s native abilities.

A: The order in which abilities trigger is determined by the team order. So if Torkoal is your first Pokemon and Pelipper is your last, then Rain will trigger after Sun. Not like anyone should use double weather, but just clearing it up.

Questions for the community: The name is subject to change. Do you guys have any ideas on a name that could better reflect the premise of the metagame? And overall, what do you think? It definitely seems a little crazy, but I could see this meta being fun with the appropriate tiering.
I think this sounds incredibly crazy and like a lot of fun, if not the most competitive concept I've ever heard. A couple (minor) suggestions.

1) Change the name. It's too similar to Linked right now. I see you're looking for suggestions, and I'm afraid I'm drawing blanks. Polybility? That's too similar to Pokebilities. Um. I'll edit this if I come up with anything.

2) Don't ban Magic Guard right off the bat. I doubt Stall will have much chance in this meta anyway, with things like Sheer Force, Psychic Terrain, Adaptability Psychics coming off of Tapu Lele's 130 spa
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 367-432 (52.2 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The +1 is for Specs, its in PTerrain, Life Orb is for Sheer Force, Adapt is Adapt

3) You might want to ban Protean. Together with Adaptability it gives amazing offensive versatility to... anything really.

4) This meta will be weather and terrain spam. Nothing else.

Good luck with the meta!

Photon Sky

Metagame Premise: All attacks change category depending on your higher attack stat, in the same way as Photon Geyser or Light that Burns the Sky.

Q&A

Q: Does that include boosts?
A: Yes, so if you boost your weaker stat then it could change the category of your moves.

Q: Does that include abilities?
A: No, the category is applied without considering abilities.

Q: What happens if both stats are the same?
A: The category does not change.

Q: What if the user is burned?
A: The category is determined before the burn drop takes effect.

Examples

Example: Kyurem-Black's Ice Beam is now a Physical move, but turns back to Special after an Intimidate.

Example: Charizard's Flare Blitz is a Special move, but after Mega Evolving into Charizard-Mega-X, it's now a Physical move again.

(Pet mod)
Flavorful Changes

(looking for a better name)

Welcome to this pet mod. Here Pokémon get changes (with no real intent to buff or Nerf them) which attempt to stay as true to the original Mon they can. So

The typing may not be changed unless very high flavorful reasoning is provided. (The amount if flavor required is less if single-typed.)
The amount of Abilities can't be changed at all, but an ability can be changed provided you give flavorful reasoning.
The stats should have a very similar stat line to the original Mon, and the max BST is 570. (So Venusaur should be a specially oriented special attacker, Charizard should be a speedy special attacker, and Blastoise should be a mixed wall)
And finally the movepool, give flavorful reasoning and you may add some moves. You may add up to 5 new moves.

In order for a mon to be good, there are 4 things it needs in order to become good (well, it only needs three of them) which are typing, stats, abilities, and movepool. These are the 4 main points of the changes one Mon can have. These rules are like this in order to stay as true to the original Mon as possible, with some room to have creativity. Megas will be completely gone from this meta.

Now as it is, this is a rough idea, so any and all Suggestions will be appreciated, such as

Is this pet mod too similar to the other three mons?

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Photon Sky

Metagame Premise: All attacks change category depending on your higher attack stat, in the same way as Photon Geyser or Light that Burns the Sky.

Q&A

A: Yes, so if you boost your weaker stat then it could change the category of your moves.

Examples

Example: Kyurem-Black's Ice Beam is now a Physical move, but turns back to Special after an Intimidate.

Example: Charizard's Flare Blitz is a Special move, but after Mega Evolving into Charizard-Mega-X, it's now a Physical move again.
Simple and elegant. I can 100% see this being yet another meta where we ban Kyurem-Black. Not surprised this idea came up, and I won't be surprised to see it made into a meta.

My one major concern is that it seems sort of like a rip-off of Full Potential (obviously it comes from the ingame mechanics, but still.) Gameplay-wise I see it being very similar to FP, except limited to Attack and Special Attack, with a similar if truncated threatlist. I suppose Speed and bulk won't be the name of the game however.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Vacuum Wave
- Psychic
- High Jump Kick
- Shadow Ball

0 spa IVs lets Medicham use its Pure Power boosted attack even at -2. It gains priority, a better Psychic STAB (unless you want the flinch) and a perfect coverage move.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Iron Head

Draco Meteor is really really good on physical mons, just like in Full Potential.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Same as above, except Kyurem also gets a physical Ice STAB

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Return / Double-Edge
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Special normal types gain a reliable STAB option in Return.

Togekiss @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace / Super Luck
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash / Nasty Plot

Togekiss and Raikou can finally use Extremespeed well.

AquaticPanic

Community Leader
Serperior's coverage now goes from Really Horrible to Mediocre. Tho KyB is probably going to be very common (Serp has DPulse I think, but I'm not sure if that helps it as much)

Megazam can use the Punches as coverage. As can Gengar.

Also if I got everything right, drops aren't changed, so abuse Leaf Storm / Draco Meteor on Physical Attackers

nice moves
I like it, would much rather play this than Statattack tbh. Though I'm not sure Dual Choice items Stakataka can get Sturdy to guarantee a TR set-up if used as a lead, or Steelworker to make Gyroball even scarier. There are a lot of possible strategies here, could be fun.

Simple and elegant. I can 100% see this being yet another meta where we ban Kyurem-Black. Not surprised this idea came up, and I won't be surprised to see it made into a meta.

My one major concern is that it seems sort of like a rip-off of Full Potential (obviously it comes from the ingame mechanics, but still.) Gameplay-wise I see it being very similar to FP, except limited to Attack and Special Attack, with a similar if truncated threatlist. I suppose Speed and bulk won't be the name of the game however.
That's kinda the thing though, Full Potential is completely dominated by Speed/Defense mons. While Urk's concept may be similar in theory, in practice they'd be entirely different meta's.

Linkability
Metagame Premise: All of the team’s abilities are active at once.​

I love this, but I wouldn't be too quick with bans. A lot of things seem extremely gamebreaking on paper that may actually end up being fine in practice just because of how versatile teambuilding is and the options every mon has. Even Wonder Guard becomes moot if mold breaker is allowed, though allowing mold breaker skews the meta towards offense to a ridiculous degree, so while I would advocate quickbanning those 2, I think they provide a decent example of how certain abilities will check/balance one another. Even Comaphazing, which has one donor and is extremely telegraphed, gets dunked on by Magic Guard/Suction Cups/Regenerator or even Intimidate/Priority to an extent.

Suspect tests will probably be performed regularly during the early days of the meta but I would advocate for leaving it fairly open at launch if you get it up and running.

Also for real how can you acknowledge that Magic Guard might be too much w/ stall and yet regenerator didn't even make your list?

could we just ban stall instead?
but considering that with teams like this

Lycanroc-dusk (Tough Claws)/Scizor (Technician)/Conkeldurr (Iron Fist)/Crawdaunt (Adaptability)/Dhelmise (Steelworker)/Yanmega (Tinted Lens)
Scizor gets a 287 BP (after STAB) Bullet Punch that's only resisted by mons with a 4x resist to steel, and nearly OHKO's even Toxapex if Scizor is holding a life orb, I don't think stall is priority #1

Actually, here's something even worse if the opponent doesn't have water absorb

Blastoise-mega (Mega Launcher)/Greninja-ash (Battle Bond, not important)/Araquanid (Water Bubble)/Crawdaunt (Adaptability)/Scizor (Technician)/Either Bruxish (Dazzling) or Yanmega (Tinted Lens) or Pelipper (Drizzle)

Once 'stoise has mega evolved, Greninja's water pulse has a disgusting 540 BP after STAB, 810 in the rain, in which case it can nearly OHKO even Assault Vest Max HP Max SpDef Blissey. Trying to get through with Priority? Greninja still packs a 360 BP (After STAB) Water Shuriken. You do have a water absorb user? Greninja's Dark Pulse is still 240 BP After STAB, it'll get by.

Disgusting

Or you can do a *somewhat* bulky offense team with M-Lop, Conkeldurr, Lycanroc-Dusk, Comfey, Buzzwole, GonZ and idk some Defiant mon. Lycan-dusk doesn't benefit from the rest of the team so much, but provides Tough Claws. M-Lop provides Conkeldurr, Buzzwole and Gonz with Scrappy, which they all appreciate. Comfey means that scrappy Drain Punch from Lop, Conkeldurr and Buzzwole gets priority, along with Buzz's Leech Life. While Drain Punch has 240 BP after STAB. Defiant means intimidate mons can't stop you while Beast Boost means that after one kill, your team has the means to get rolling. While none of the members are as individually threatening as Scizor or Greninja in the former teams, it's a much more well rounded strategy.

Comaphazing needs prankster + dazzling + scrappy to be as effective as it wants to be in this meta, I just don't see it being all that threatening tbh, but we'll see

Oh, and if we're talking weather, Rain might actually be outclassed in this meta. For one, it's biggest offensive buff, being Water Bubble, is totally invalidated by Water Absorb/Dry Skin, and Pelipper is undoubtedly a worse donor than Charizard-y or TTar. While Chlorophyll/Leaf Guard/Flower Gift/Solar Power makes Charizard alone capable of devastating most mons, since Flower Gift/Solar Power's boosts aren't type specific and boost both of it's offensive stats, and it's most common moveset would require 3 different immunities to stop the same way water absorb would stop something like Kingdra or Greninja from going wild on a team. Along with Flower Gift boosting SpDef for the entire team and a buffed Synthesis to offset Solar Power's unfortunate chip damage.

Sand's buffs aren't as huge but it needs less to accomplish what it should, basically requiring only Excadrill, Tyranitar and Mega Garchomp (I know, but Sand Force + Sand Rush mean it's actually usable here), which are all relatively solid mons on their own merits. This means the team has more room to run abilities which are just solid overall abilities, like adaptability or Sheer Force, or Steelworker even. With all of the above, Excadrill gets to spam a 400~ BP Iron Head after STAB, which unlike Water or Fire moves, has no immunities.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
55 Move Cup

Every move which have bp under or equal to 55 gets their bp doubled. For exemple, Tackle now have 80 bp instead of 40.

Threats
Moves that are under 55 and are still used competitively : Priorities, PuP, Multi-hit moves, Multi-hit priorities...

Banlist
Bans : Skill Link, OU banlist
Unbans : None for the moment

Questions
Would it be actually fun?
How would work Technician and pursuit?
Other thoughts?
Have something similar already been proposed?

55 Move Cup

Every move which have bp under or equal to 55 gets their bp doubled. For exemple, Tackle now have 80 bp instead of 40.

Threats
Moves that are under 55 and are still used competitively : Priorities, PuP, Multi-hit moves, Multi-hit priorities...

Banlist
Bans : Skill Link, OU banlist
Unbans : None for the moment

Questions
Would it be actually fun?
How would work Technician and pursuit?
Other thoughts?
Have something similar already been proposed?
This sounds awfully similar to Move equality. Priority would be completely broken. Multi hit moves would either have to be excempt or unaffected - Rock Blast would have at worst 100 BP.

Linkmons sound like my idea of Unity what is the difference? Because one opinion was it was stupidly over powered is it the fact that I said that the first move is shared?

Photon Sky

Q&A

Examples

This sounds like Full Potentional or is it just me?

(OM Idea)

Linkability

• Protean: Protean on the whole team seems way too good in combination with Adaptability, so this is definitely an ability to watch out for.
  • Drizzle: Probably the least apparent of these, Drizzle may be looked at down the road rather than instantly as rain teams will undoubtedly be a dominant playstyle. Banning Drizzle would make rain manageable, yet still usable as Pelipper can still support the team with rain. I want to know what you guys think of this one.

- Tapu Lele may prove to be a very problematic Pokemon. Blessing the entire team with an immunity to priority attacks and a boost to Psychic moves, while being able to receive boosts from Sheer Force, Adaptability, etc means it can 2HKO the entire metagame with just it’s STAB coverage.

11/25/17 - Removed Wonder Guard from ability banlist since Shedinja is banned
11/25/17 - Added Protean, Drizzle to threatlist
11/26/17 - Removed Magic Guard from initial threatlist. Added Tapu Lele.

Q&A:

Fluffy and fur coat could be used for helping stall out as other wise HO is insane and the only viable strategy, also Persian A can be amazing with its parting shots making it even harder kill stall which it would seem hyper offensive would rule other wise which is important. Still trying to figure out how you would do balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prankster + Lightningrod + Motordrive + Electrify is also a pretty busted strategy so uh, ban electrify please.

Gravity Monkey

is a Top Artist
This sounds awfully similar to Move equality. Priority would be completely broken. Multi hit moves would either have to be excempt or unaffected - Rock Blast would have at worst 100 BP.
Oh... yeah, I forgot that one. And about priorities, I thought "everything is gonna be like ExtremeSpeed so it's gonna be okay". Now I remember that only few mons have access to ES, and I understand why...

Agreed, also here is a stall idea
fur coat + fluffy + unaware + poison heal/Filter + Magic Bounce/Guard(depends)/Solid Rock+ corrosion + Cloudnine/Prism Armor

Persian-A(fur coat)
Clefable(Unaware)
Mega Aggron(Filter(before mega Sturdy))
Sableye(Prankster)/Klefki(Prankster)
Toxapex(Regenator),
Type: Null(Battle Armor)(get rid of those pesky crits, also is a nice slow pivot)

I could just be crazy and this is a terrible team but eh.

Last edited:
Fur Coat and Fluffy at the same time is overkill, and forces you to run Bewear and Persian, giving your team a noticeable fighting weakness off the jump, as well as making your entire team weak to fire if you run Fluffy. I think Fur Coat is enough, especially since you can run Prankster over Fluffy to give Persian-A a priority parting shot against any Special Attackers that would otherwise threaten it. Magic Guard/Bounce aren't super necessary if you just run Poison Heal + Regenerator (Regen deals with hazards, Poison heal deals with status).

If I was going to pitch a stall team, it'd be Toxapex, Gliscor, Klefki, Clefable, Dragonite and Persian-A or something along those lines.

Fluffy and fur coat could be used for helping stall out as other wise HO is insane and the only viable strategy, also Persian A can be amazing with its parting shots making it even harder kill stall which it would seem hyper offensive would rule other wise which is important. Still trying to figure out how you would do balance.
Fluffy/Fur Coat aren't going to help Stall as long as Water Bubble is around, so that needs to go. Initial banlist should honestly just be Huge/Pure Power/Water Bubble along with Mold Breaker, Illusion, MBounce, Wonderguard and probably Protean. There are a lot of threatening things in this meta but most are manageable and take a full team of mons to make something OP, those abilities are all capable of breaking an entire team with the addition of just one mon, should be obvious why they need to get banned. Water Bubble may be easily countered by Water Absorb but that's incredibly centralizing.

Last edited:
Photon Sky

Q&A

Examples

Isn't this similar to a meta I think I looked up before in last gen called "offensification" or am I wrong for assuming that

Edit: OK nvm I just looked it up and its more like FP lite. This meta sounds good its note amazing how such a simple concept hasn't been proposed (or maybe it just wasn't properly done)

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WEATHERMONS
Metagame Premise: a Pet Mod which hopes to bring new light to pokemon that have potential to work well in teams, but falter and are deemed not good enough to use their weather sets to their full potential

Rules: Pokemon May have their Type, Ability, Stats, or Movepool changed to benefit from Weather. The changed stats may not be changed by more than 60 BST. There will be slates and voting, for which Pokemon become changed.
Example Pokemon:

Name:
Seaking
Types:
/

Abilities:

Swift Swim / Drizzle / Lightningrod
Stats:
80/92/65/105/70/68 BST: 480 (+40 SpA, -10 SpD [+30 BST])
Movepool Changes:
+Thunder, +Thunderbolt, +Wild Charge, +Electric Terrain, +Aqua Jet
Explanation:
Seaking is a PU Pokemon with little access to powerful STAB moves with its poor moveset, giving only Aqua Tail and Waterfall as its main source of STAB Power. Giving it more of a Special stat spread gives it reliable access to Hydro Pump and Scald, with the addition of a Never-Missing Thunder, if it were to run Drizzle. Water Veil seemed like the more worthless of the abilities, with Lightningrod being a reliable method for increasing its newly given Special Attack, and Swift Swim being a faster option for other sets inducing rain.
I know I have posted this before, but here is a better explanation/revamp of the old one. Will upload Q&A Tomorrow.​

(Pet mod)
Flavorful Changes

(looking for a better name)

Welcome to this pet mod. Here Pokémon get changes (with no real intent to buff or Nerf them) which attempt to stay as true to the original Mon they can. So

The typing may not be changed unless very high flavorful reasoning is provided. (The amount if flavor required is less if single-typed.)
The amount of Abilities can't be changed at all, but an ability can be changed provided you give flavorful reasoning.
The stats should have a very similar stat line to the original Mon, and the max BST is 570. (So Venusaur should be a specially oriented special attacker, Charizard should be a speedy special attacker, and Blastoise should be a mixed wall)
And finally the movepool, give flavorful reasoning and you may add some moves. You may add up to 5 new moves.

In order for a mon to be good, there are 4 things it needs in order to become good (well, it only needs three of them) which are typing, stats, abilities, and movepool. These are the 4 main points of the changes one Mon can have. These rules are like this in order to stay as true to the original Mon as possible, with some room to have creativity. Megas will be completely gone from this meta.

Now as it is, this is a rough idea, so any and all Suggestions will be appreciated, such as

Is this pet mod too similar to the other three mons?

Some great discussion going on, so let me address some responses:

I love this, but I wouldn't be too quick with bans. A lot of things seem extremely gamebreaking on paper that may actually end up being fine in practice just because of how versatile teambuilding is and the options every mon has. Even Wonder Guard becomes moot if mold breaker is allowed, though allowing mold breaker skews the meta towards offense to a ridiculous degree, so while I would advocate quickbanning those 2, I think they provide a decent example of how certain abilities will check/balance one another. Even Comaphazing, which has one donor and is extremely telegraphed, gets dunked on by Magic Guard/Suction Cups/Regenerator or even Intimidate/Priority to an extent.

Suspect tests will probably be performed regularly during the early days of the meta but I would advocate for leaving it fairly open at launch if you get it up and running.

Also for real how can you acknowledge that Magic Guard might be too much w/ stall and yet regenerator didn't even make your list?

could we just ban stall instead?
but considering that with teams like this

Lycanroc-dusk (Tough Claws)/Scizor (Technician)/Conkeldurr (Iron Fist)/Crawdaunt (Adaptability)/Dhelmise (Steelworker)/Yanmega (Tinted Lens)
Scizor gets a 287 BP (after STAB) Bullet Punch that's only resisted by mons with a 4x resist to steel, and nearly OHKO's even Toxapex if Scizor is holding a life orb, I don't think stall is priority #1

Actually, here's something even worse if the opponent doesn't have water absorb

Blastoise-mega (Mega Launcher)/Greninja-ash (Battle Bond, not important)/Araquanid (Water Bubble)/Crawdaunt (Adaptability)/Scizor (Technician)/Either Bruxish (Dazzling) or Yanmega (Tinted Lens) or Pelipper (Drizzle)

Once 'stoise has mega evolved, Greninja's water pulse has a disgusting 540 BP after STAB, 810 in the rain, in which case it can nearly OHKO even Assault Vest Max HP Max SpDef Blissey. Trying to get through with Priority? Greninja still packs a 360 BP (After STAB) Water Shuriken. You do have a water absorb user? Greninja's Dark Pulse is still 240 BP After STAB, it'll get by.

Disgusting

Or you can do a *somewhat* bulky offense team with M-Lop, Conkeldurr, Lycanroc-Dusk, Comfey, Buzzwole, GonZ and idk some Defiant mon. Lycan-dusk doesn't benefit from the rest of the team so much, but provides Tough Claws. M-Lop provides Conkeldurr, Buzzwole and Gonz with Scrappy, which they all appreciate. Comfey means that scrappy Drain Punch from Lop, Conkeldurr and Buzzwole gets priority, along with Buzz's Leech Life. While Drain Punch has 240 BP after STAB. Defiant means intimidate mons can't stop you while Beast Boost means that after one kill, your team has the means to get rolling. While none of the members are as individually threatening as Scizor or Greninja in the former teams, it's a much more well rounded strategy.

Comaphazing needs prankster + dazzling + scrappy to be as effective as it wants to be in this meta, I just don't see it being all that threatening tbh, but we'll see

Oh, and if we're talking weather, Rain might actually be outclassed in this meta. For one, it's biggest offensive buff, being Water Bubble, is totally invalidated by Water Absorb/Dry Skin, and Pelipper is undoubtedly a worse donor than Charizard-y or TTar. While Chlorophyll/Leaf Guard/Flower Gift/Solar Power makes Charizard alone capable of devastating most mons, since Flower Gift/Solar Power's boosts aren't type specific and boost both of it's offensive stats, and it's most common moveset would require 3 different immunities to stop the same way water absorb would stop something like Kingdra or Greninja from going wild on a team. Along with Flower Gift boosting SpDef for the entire team and a buffed Synthesis to offset Solar Power's unfortunate chip damage.

Sand's buffs aren't as huge but it needs less to accomplish what it should, basically requiring only Excadrill, Tyranitar and Mega Garchomp (I know, but Sand Force + Sand Rush mean it's actually usable here), which are all relatively solid mons on their own merits. This means the team has more room to run abilities which are just solid overall abilities, like adaptability or Sheer Force, or Steelworker even. With all of the above, Excadrill gets to spam a 400~ BP Iron Head after STAB, which unlike Water or Fire moves, has no immunities.
Lots of great points, but I disagree with the initial banlist thing. This meta is already going to be very “broken beats broken” in a way, so I’d like to minimize that by banning as many broken elements as possible early on. With that being said, not all of the abilities here will be on the initial banlist, as I’d like to see how they affect the metagame first. Banning Mold Breaker keeps the entire metagame in check, as it would be so overly centralizing that it could never be unbanned. Immunity stacking as a playstyle and others would be completely invalidated by it. Regenerator will be left alone for now, because it’s unclear just how good stall would be in such a power crept meta, while Magic Guard is usable on nearly all builds as well.

I wanted to share a fun core I’ve been liking a lot:

Marowak adds an Electric immunity that becomes extremely useful against Surge Surfer teams, and gets rid of Mantine’s massive weakness to it. Mantine itself also brings a useful Water immunity to the entire team, which is invaluable as rain teams are bound to be common, and negates one of Marowak’s weaknesses as well. Lastly, Clefable’s Magic Guard support means that Marowak and Mantine cannot be hurt by hazards and passive damage. It also allows Marowak to fire off recoil-free Flare Blitz without having to use Rock Head.

The next thing I wanted to talk about is probably a Pokemon I overlooked, and one that may be broken or suspect worthy. I’ll need you guys to offer input on this.

Charizard offers invaluable support to teams thanks to Drought. Not only this, but Chlorophyll partners means that it’s speed is constantly doubled and, with Adaptability and Magic Guard to support it, Mega Charizard Y just ravages through teams lacking a Fire immunity. I don’t want this metagame turning into one where Heatran is necessary on every team because of this thing, so we’ll have to see if we want to keep this or not.

Lastly, I have another question for the community. Currently, banned abilities aren’t really “banned” they’re just unable to be shared. Do you think it should work this way? The mindset behind it was not limiting the amount of Pokemon you could viably use in this meta.

Some great discussion going on, so let me address some responses:

Lots of great points, but I disagree with the initial banlist thing. This meta is already going to be very “broken beats broken” in a way, so I’d like to minimize that by banning as many broken elements as possible early on. With that being said, not all of the abilities here will be on the initial banlist, as I’d like to see how they affect the metagame first. Banning Mold Breaker keeps the entire metagame in check, as it would be so overly centralizing that it could never be unbanned. Immunity stacking as a playstyle and others would be completely invalidated by it. Regenerator will be left alone for now, because it’s unclear just how good stall would be in such a power crept meta, while Magic Guard is usable on nearly all builds as well.

I wanted to share a fun core I’ve been liking a lot:

Marowak adds an Electric immunity that becomes extremely useful against Surge Surfer teams, and gets rid of Mantine’s massive weakness to it. Mantine itself also brings a useful Water immunity to the entire team, which is invaluable as rain teams are bound to be common, and negates one of Marowak’s weaknesses as well. Lastly, Clefable’s Magic Guard support means that Marowak and Mantine cannot be hurt by hazards and passive damage. It also allows Marowak to fire off recoil-free Flare Blitz without having to use Rock Head.

The next thing I wanted to talk about is probably a Pokemon I overlooked, and one that may be broken or suspect worthy. I’ll need you guys to offer input on this.

Charizard offers invaluable support to teams thanks to Drought. Not only this, but Chlorophyll partners means that it’s speed is constantly doubled and, with Adaptability and Magic Guard to support it, Mega Charizard Y just ravages through teams lacking a Fire immunity. I don’t want this metagame turning into one where Heatran is necessary on every team because of this thing, so we’ll have to see if we want to keep this or not.

Lastly, I have another question for the community. Currently, banned abilities aren’t really “banned” they’re just unable to be shared. Do you think it should work this way? The mindset behind it was not limiting the amount of Pokemon you could viably use in this meta.
Yeah I wasn't meaning to imply that Mold Breaker shouldn't be banned, since I agree with you on that, was just using it as an example of how certain abilities check other abilities, and so I think a semi-minimal banlist would be better to start off to see how all the abilities play off of eachother. Glad to hear that not all the abilities you listed are going to be on the initial banlist as that was my main concern, I think we're on the same page here.

I think Regenerator should be looked out for but not threat #1. It has absurdly good synergy with Pressure, Multiscale, Fur Coat, Magic Guard and others and could make combating stall nearly impossible for any team that doesn't carry massive wallbreaking power. (Though that's pretty achievable here so, again, not sure how powerful it'd be in practice)

Charizard-Y sounds strong, and is a fantastic weather setter, but honestly doesn't even come close to the firepower (lol) of something like Greninja. On top of that, it lacks priority and has a 4x weakness to Accelerock. Not a big deal except for the fact that I can see Lycanroc-dusk getting used a lot in this meta as one of the only non-mega tough claws donors. It's very threatening with Solar Power, but that requires the use of some extremely niche mons, and most Adaptability mons don't really benefit from Drought outside of the Chlorophyll boost. Meanwhile, every Chlorophyll donor is having their own weaknesses exacerbated by the sun. I still think Sun could end up being a better weather option than rain, but that doesn't mean Zard-Y is busted. Honestly I feel sand could be the most threatening atm.

Agree that banned abilities should still be allowed on mons that already get them and just not spread, at least at first, there aren't too many issues that spring to mind immediately other than Shedinja who would obviously need to be banned.

Also, like the core, but it seems a little underwhelming given how powerful a lot of this meta's threats could be.

Here's a fun idea that would devastate offense but be pretty lackluster against stall

Won't do great against teams with unaware, but Beast Boost + Moxie + Simple gives Stakataka +4 Attack after it's first KO, which it should have no problem getting in a meta where Surge Surfer, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll and Sand Rush are sure to be everywhere. Pair it with Dhelmise for even more raw power, and maybe a water absorb/levitate/sturdy user to ensure it has an easier time setting up Trick Room. If it sets up successfully, it can OHKO pretty much every offensive mon in the game with ease, even Fur Coat Kartana dies to +4 Steelworker Gyro.

Contrary + Simple is also really good against non unaware teams, the most obvious abuser I can think of being Victini. Able to net +2 Speed, Defense and SpDef with V-Create, and +4 SpAtk with Overheat is nothing to scoff at. Pair that with Stored Power and you've got a pretty solid offensive threat on your hands. Stored Power also has the benefit of giving Victini a buff that isn't negated by Unaware.

Last edited:
Yeah I wasn't meaning to imply that Mold Breaker shouldn't be banned, since I agree with you on that, was just using it as an example of how certain abilities check other abilities, and so I think a semi-minimal banlist would be better to start off to see how all the abilities play off of eachother. Glad to hear that not all the abilities you listed are going to be on the initial banlist as that was my main concern, I think we're on the same page here.

I think Regenerator should be looked out for but not threat #1. It has absurdly good synergy with Pressure, Multiscale, Fur Coat, Magic Guard and others and could make combating stall nearly impossible for any team that doesn't carry massive wallbreaking power. (Though that's pretty achievable here so, again, not sure how powerful it'd be in practice)

Charizard-Y sounds strong, and is a fantastic weather setter, but honestly doesn't even come close to the firepower (lol) of something like Greninja. On top of that, it lacks priority and has a 4x weakness to Accelerock. Not a big deal except for the fact that I can see Lycanroc-dusk getting used a lot in this meta as one of the only non-mega tough claws donors. It's very threatening with Solar Power, but that requires the use of some extremely niche mons, and most Adaptability mons don't really benefit from Drought outside of the Chlorophyll boost. Meanwhile, every Chlorophyll donor is having their own weaknesses exacerbated by the sun. I still think Sun could end up being a better weather option than rain, but that doesn't mean Zard-Y is busted. Honestly I feel sand could be the most threatening atm.

Agree that banned abilities should still be allowed on mons that already get them and just not spread, at least at first, there aren't too many issues that spring to mind immediately other than Shedinja who would obviously need to be banned.

Also, like the core, but it seems a little underwhelming given how powerful a lot of this meta's threats could be.

Here's a fun idea that would devastate offense but be pretty lackluster against stall

Won't do great against teams with unaware, but Beast Boost + Moxie + Simple gives Stakataka +4 Attack after it's first KO, which it should have no problem getting in a meta where Surge Surfer, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll and Sand Rush are sure to be everywhere. Pair it with Dhelmise for even more raw power, and maybe a water absorb/levitate/sturdy user to ensure it has an easier time setting up Trick Room. If it sets up successfully, it can OHKO pretty much every offensive mon in the game with ease, even Fur Coat Kartana dies to +4 Steelworker Gyro.

Contrary + Simple is also really good against non unaware teams, the most obvious abuser I can think of being Victini. Able to net +2 Speed, Defense and SpDef with V-Create, and +4 SpAtk with Overheat is nothing to scoff at. Pair that with Stored Power and you've got a pretty solid offensive threat on your hands. Stored Power also has the benefit of giving Victini a buff that isn't negated by Unaware.
Why settle for something that any team with Unaware can wall, when you get get ridiculous power that ignores Unaware? I think this combo will be very dangerous (optionally replacing some of the mons with others sharing the same ability):

Linoone gives everyone Quick Feet, and the rest of the team donates abilities that boost attack power. If you don't like the accuracy drop from Hustle, you can either replace Crawdaunt with Machamp (to get No Guard) or replace Raticate with Breloom/Glisgor (to get Poison Heal).

Here's are a couple calcs:
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Hustle Adaptability Tough Claws Zangoose Facade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mew: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Hustle Adaptability Tough Claws Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 366-431 (90.5 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Or if Kyurem-B isn't banned and banned abilities aren't really banned, put Kyurem-B in Raticate's place and you get this:
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Adaptability Tough Claws Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Fur Coat Mew: 671-790 (166 - 195.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)