Metagamiate!

I've not played RU, but it's ridiculous to claim that nothing hard-counters Charizard in OU. Just off the top of my head are Aerodactyl and Heatran.
Aerodactyl's bulk is way too pitiful to make it anything but a check to charix[the one he was clearly talking about (add to that he can't outspeed charix at +1)] or even chary. Heatran is a hard counter to chary but only a hard check to charix(earthquake).

In what universe is Lucario a counter or check to any of let alone all of Dragonite, Zygarde, or Noivern?
Lucario @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Blaze Kick

EDIT: The problem with this set would be that Pokemon would easily switch out to Pokemon Resistant to this move. Thus, I use this Lucario for Late Game Sweeps. Ice Punch is there to defeat the dragons: Dragonite [w/o Multiscale activated. I use stealth rocks Mamo to cover that, EDIT: fake out mew helps too], Specs Noivern [Scarf Noivern outspeeds], and Zygarde.

Last edited:
That assumes Stealth Rock which isn't a given, especially when we're talking leads, and it also assumes Dragonite doesn't flinch you. Take away those assumptions and even a crit won't give you the KO.

My point is that Noivern can sweep a team, sure, but it requires that your team fail to fit some extremely broad demands you should probably fit to anyway. I don't consider it broken, or even all that great really.

If everything is at best a check, and the checks aren't very good at their job, and you're arguing that Dragonite is very definitely not broken... this holds together because?

I've not played RU, but it's ridiculous to claim that nothing hard-counters Charizard in OU. Just off the top of my head are Aerodactyl and Heatran.

And is Mega Aggron viable as anything other than a counter to these?

Noivern dies in one hit from Azumarill, but not Dragonite. (And my position is that Noivern is powerful but fine whereas I'm not so convinced Dragonite is balanced) Dragonite can also just use Earthquake for a guaranteed 2HKO instead. Even Azumarill coming in off a KO is not certain that it can scare off, let alone KO, Dragonite, when we're talking a build specialized to counter Dragonite.

I focused on Azumarill because you describe it as checking 'all' Extreme Speed users, which it full stop does not. I could've been really obnoxious and pointed out how easily Pikachu with Light Ball or Raichu can tear it in half. I focused on Unaware Clefable because it's one of the genuinely best answers to Dragonite -which means the fact that it can't actually be counted on stands out all the more.

The other counters you listed you provided little description and they all have problems. Scarfed Gardevoir will not OHKO Dragonite and will be OHKOed in turn by Iron Head, Durant is not a great Pokemon in general (And if it somehow proved a counter Dragonite would just run Fire Punch more often), and Cobalion is vulnerable to the standard Earthquake, is not that tough, and is not that hard hitting.

Most painfully they all run into the problem that to even resemble a counter requires you perform a switch-in while they get a free move, or sacrifice a Pokemon to allow them in freely. If Dragonite can get a 100% certain KO before you get the opportunity to force it out (Because you are forced to sacrifice to get that switch happening), and this keeps repeating, it's doing appalling damage to your team without dying.

In what universe is Lucario a counter or check to any of let alone all of Dragonite, Zygarde, or Noivern?
Some points were already answered by people before me.

Most/all the check i mentioned to their job pretty well. And with good anticipation, it's easy to switch on an earthquake or on an Espeed.

And mega aggron is probably one of the best pokemon i ever tried using in this meta.
Quoting one of my earlyer posts "Besides, i played with max def mega aggron and this thing is a monster, it blocks and ohkoe's aerodactil and weavile, it blocks and 2hko dragonite and Ttar. It takes 40-ish% on lucario LO Espeed and ohkoe's it, about the same with terrakion's close combat. Takes not much from any fairy attack (I'm looking at togekiss here) and ohkoe's most of them bar azumarill. Hell it can even survive a facade from a poisoned, max attack conk with guts. And on top of that, you can just go ahead and setup your rocks peacefully too break some multiscales."

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/metagamiate-155383290
well, i think jirachi's pretty solid in this meta, how about you? AKA: jirachi haxes half of a team to death
but jokes outside, porygon-Z's also pretty nice with a 208 BP tri-attack
mega-medicham is all over the higher ladder.
dragonite DOES have things that can check it at +1, as seen in this replay.

EDIT: just so you know, that dragonite was jolly, and look at the damage mandibuzz did to it.

Last edited:
I know, dragonite wants ddance, eq, fire punch, iron head, roost, Espeed, thunder puch but it can't :(
I was talking on turn 2, with medicham
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 277-327 (65.4 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And foul play doesn't take pure power into account so you only take 50ish%

I know, dragonite wants ddance, eq, fire punch, iron head, roost, Espeed, thunder puch but it can't :(
I was talking on turn 2, with medicham
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 277-327 (65.4 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And foul play doesn't take pure power into account so you only take 50ish%
sorry, my bad, I actually had no idea what set it was running and wasn't sure what it was going to do. So I decided that crippling it would be a good idea, because toxic poison would not have been good.

Fake Out + Return/Frustration from Mega Medicham will KO all non-resisted mons (Including Skarmory) and can even KO some resisted non-HP/Defense invested mons. I've been using a Mega Medicham from the very beginning and I can attest to this. Chansey and Sableye are good teammates to MMedi.

Edit: Well, you don't need Double Edge. Then again, maybe it's just me being an user of Stall.

Last edited:
Fake Out + Return/Frustration from Mega Medicham will KO all non-resisted mons (Including Skarmory) and can even KO some resisted non-HP/Defense invested mons. I've been using a Mega Medicham from the very beginning and I can attest to this. Chansey and Sableye are good teammates to MMedi.
Now imagine double edge.

Running a rain team, and it's shockingly good.

I've considered running a sun team but I just can't imagine it being so good. Grass types with Chlorophyll can't top Solarbeam, even if they have Hyper Voice, and Leavanny and Sawsbuck are the only Chlorophyll Pokemon that aren't primary Grass and Bug and Normal are not amazing improvements over Grass. Nor do many Fire types get Hyper Voice or even Tri Attack. In particular neither sun setter gets any good Normal special move at all.

Rain gets to do craziness like Swift Swim Seismitoad mashing things with rain-boosted Frustration, or if you feel like being special-oriented, Hyper Voice, Ludicolo providing Swift Swim rain-boosted Fake Out and Hyper Voice (And then it can Giga Drain anything immune to Water), and is just generally a nightmare. I've gotten decent use on a non-rain team with Omastar just because Rock Wring Out is actually really good, but it really comes into its own in a rain team where it'll outspeed a lot of threats while its physical durability allows it to tank stuff like unboosted Dragonite Extreme Speed.

My other teams have never gotten me above 1200~ elo, whereas this rain team I'm already at more than 1300 and showing no sign of stopping. And I'm pretty sure it's actually fairly sub-optimal.

Even Politoed itself is a monster: rain boosted Hyper Voice is ridiculous, a lot of stuff can't actually KO it in one hit, and when stuff boosts in expectation of Politoed switching out it can lead to them losing their Pokemon in one hit without it doing anything.

Not to say some pokemon like weavile or aerodactyle outspeed and kill him
And terrakion's quick attack. And most Espeed will give him a ton of damage. And has a weakness to SR
He's also completely walled by blissey.

Noivern was really good at the begining, but now, every team knows how to take him on.

From what I see in the ladder, the king of metagamiate is either medicham or dragonite. (I think it's Maggron, but nobody else uses it)

I've been attempting to make a stall team for this meta, and I can't come up with a good counter to M-Medicham. So far I've been using Stallslash (King's Shield, sub, toxic, shadow ball), but I find that my opponents predict the Aegislash switch and use Fire Punch.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Defog/Taunt/Will-O-Wisp
Is this a good counter to it?

I've been attempting to make a stall team for this meta, and I can't come up with a good counter to M-Medicham. So far I've been using Stallslash (King's Shield, sub, toxic, shadow ball), but I find that my opponents predict the Aegislash switch and use Fire Punch.

Is this a good counter to it?
I used Mew as my primary M-Medicham check on my Metagamiate stall team and it worked pretty well. Fake Out seems pretty pointless though, I think Hyper Voice or Knock Off is a much better choice for an attack on that set

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Return vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Mew: 187-221 (46.2 - 54.7%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Mew: 106-125 (26.2 - 30.9%) -- 6.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It seems decent as a Megacham counter, although return does seem to leave a decent amount of damage.

I used Mew as my primary M-Medicham check on my Metagamiate stall team and it worked pretty well. Fake Out seems pretty pointless though, I think Hyper Voice or Knock Off is a much better choice for an attack on that set
The only reason I use Fake Out is to break Dragonite's multiscale. If I want to save mew to stall something else, I switch out Lucario, and finish Dragonite off with ice punch. Scarf is there to help outspeed Specs Noivern, and +1 speed Dragonite/Zygarde.

Lucario @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Blaze Kick

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)