Metagross [Dropped, please lock]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys I have a Mega too can I be a part of this I'm cool

QC: Sweep / Fireburn /
GP: /

Overview
########

Mega Metagross has an enormous attack stat, factoring in Tough Claws, making it a very potent physical attacker in the Ubers metagame. Clear Body prevents Intimidate users like Landorus-Therain and Salamence from affecting it before Mega Evolving. Metagross has a good speed tier of 110 and fantastic 80 / 150 / 115 bulk. Meteor Mash is also a fantastic STAB move that can raise Metagross's attack to insane levels if it gets an attack boost. However, Metagross's typing, while good for checking Latios and Latias, leaves it weak to common attacking types like Dark, Fire and Ground. Its coverage, while decent, leaves a lot to be desired. It also has a bit of four slot move syndrome, meaning it can't defeat every opponent that it should be able to. It also has no form of reliable recovery, meaning chip damage from things like Stealth Rock and Spikes linger through out the battle.

All Out Attacker
########
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Pursuit / Thunder Punch
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Bullet Punch
ability: Clear Body
item: Metagrossite
evs: 136 HP / 196 Atk / 176 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

Pursuit is a good option to hit Latias and Latios as they try to switch out. Thunder Punch can be used to hit bulky Water and Flying types like Kyorgre and Yveltal that would normally wall Metagross. Meteor Mash is a reliable STAB move that gets boosted by Tough Claws and has the chance to raise Attack. Earthquake is to deal well with bulky Steel and Fire type Pokémon like Primal Groudon and Arceus Steel. Bullet Punch is for powerful priority to pick off weakened foes and frail, faster targets.

Set Details
========

The HP investment is to allow Metagross to survive a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas, although you can change the HP EVs to 152 for a guaranteed live against HP Fire from Xerneas. Metagross hits extremely hard without max investment in Attack. An Adamant nature allows you to hit as hard as possible, while Jolly allows you to Speed tie with positive nature base 110s like Latias, Latios and Gengar after Mega Evolving.

Usage Tips
========

Metagross works best as a late game cleaner when the majority of its checks and counters are weakened or KOed. Be wary of staying in against bulky Arceus forms, since a few select sets carry Will-O-Wisp, and Metagross has no reliable way of healing status. Metagross's typing leaves it weak to a lot of different types of coverage moves as well. However, its typing also leaves is resistant to Stealth Rock, meaning that those entry hazards will not plague Metagross as much upon switch in.

Team Options
========

Levitating or Flying type Pokemon such as Latios, Latias and Landorus-Therain make fantastic teammates, since Metagross is plagued with common Ground type moves. Pokemon like Arceus-Electric are nice to muscle past Ho-Oh and Yveltal efficiently. Hazard setters like Greninja or Deoxys-Speed are nice, since Metagross appreciates the chip damage. Primal Groudon checks such as Lugia are nearly mandatory, since Groudon fears little from Metagross.

Other Options
########

Rock Polish makes Metagross a very speedy attacker that outspeeds some common Scarfers. Rock Slide can be used to hit common switch-ins like Ho-Oh and Yveltal. Ice Punch can be used to hit Landourus-Therain and Gliscor, but both are hit nearly as hard by Meteor Mash. Zen Headbutt is a reliable STAB, but it's mostly unneeded and it is mainly a move to fill in a moveslot. Iron Head can be used over Meteor Mash if the accuracy drop is a fear. Metagross can be a viable Stealth Rock setter early game. Toxic can be used to wear down common walls like Lugia and Kyogre as they switch in.

Checks & Counters
########

• **Ho-Oh**: Ho-Oh takes little damage from any attack other than Rock Slide and Thunder Punch, and can force Metagross out with Sacred Fire.
  • **Yveltal**: Defensive Yveltal takes little from Metagross's STABs and can force it out with Foul Play or Dark Pulse.
  • **Primal Groudon**: Primal Groudon fears little from any attack and can easily threaten it out with Earthquake.
  • **Bulky Water types**: Bulky Water types like Kyogre fear little from Metagross, although they take a heavy chunk from the uncommon Zen Headbutt.

Hey guys I have a Mega too can I be a part of this I'm cool
QC: Sweep / Fireburn /
GP: /

Overview
########
  • Enormous attack with Tough Claws
  • Has Clear Body before Mega Evolving, preventing Intimidate
  • Very fast
  • Bulky and can take a lot of hits
  • Meteor Mash can raise attack as well as being a reliable STAB
  • Medicore typing
  • It's coverage, while decent, leaves a lot to be desired
  • 4 slot move syndrome
  • No reliable recovery
All Out Attacker
########
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Pursuit / Thunder Punch
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Bullet Punch
ability: Clear Body
item: Metagrossite
evs: 136 HP / 196 Atk / 176 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant
Moves
========
  • Zen Headbutt for STAB, Pursuit to deal with Lati twins
  • Meteor Mash is a good STAB with the chance to raise Attack
  • Earthquake to deal with bulky Steel types and Fire types
  • Bullet Punch for priority for things like Sylveon / Xerneas
  • ThunderPunch for Kyogre and Ho-Oh and Yveltal
Set Details
========
  • EVs allow you to outspeed base 100s and survive a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas
  • Hits hard enough without max attack
  • Adamant for even more pure power, Jolly to outspeed invested base 100s
  • Rock Slide can be used to hit Ho-Oh / Yveltal
  • you can change the HP EVs up to 148 or 152 to live Xerneas' HP Fire as a guarantee
Usage Tips
========
  • Metagross works best as a late game cleaner when its checks / counters are gone
  • Be wary of Will-O-Wisp users like bulky Arceus
  • Anything that most of the time carries EQ, don't stay in on unless you know you can take it on
  • Weak to a lot of common attacking types, so avoid SE hits, since you have no recovery
  • Resists all entry hazards or are immune to them, so they don't plague Meta as much
Team Options
========
  • Levitators or Flying types like Latios and Landorus
  • Things like Arceus-Electric to muscle past Ho-Oh and Yveltal
  • Hazard setters like Greninja
  • Spinblockers to keep hazards on the field
  • Primal Groudon checks like Arceus-Ground, which handles Dialga as well.
Other Options
########
  • Rock Polish / Agility
  • Rock Slide
  • Ice Punch for Gliscor and Landorus-T
  • Zen H-Butt for STAB
  • Stealth Rocks
  • Iron Head for accuracy
  • Toxic
Checks & Counters
########
  • **Ho-Oh**: Easily tanks any hits Metagross can fire off and retaliates with Sacred Fire
  • **Yveltal**: Takes nothing from Meta's moves and can fire back with foul Play / D-Pulse
  • **Primal Groudon**: Duh (Still doesn't appreciate EQ)
  • **Bulky Water types**:

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Helo, Rock Polish Metagross is nowhere near the best set, in fact it is actually really bad due to being walled so easily, as even the things hit supereffectively are able to take a hit and OHKO back.

Your main (and maybe only) set should probably be something along the lines of:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 136 HP / 196 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Pursuit

The spread is to outspeed base 100s and live a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas after Stealth Rock.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 266-314 (79.4 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Fire vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 268-316 (80 - 94.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

you may want to push the HP EVs up to 148 or 152 to live the HP Fire guaranteed but HP Fire is not really viable on Geomancy Xerneas as Focus Blast is mandatory and HP Fire + Focus Blast gives trash redundant coverage. Zen Headbutt is a strong neutral attack against Palkia, Kyogre, and Ho-Oh.

Metagross Pursuit traps Lati@s very nicely due to its nice resistances, Earthquake is for Primal Groudon, Meteor Mash is for Xerneas, Bullet Punch is also for Xerneas and lets you blow Diancie away before it can Earth Power you, with priority always being nice too. Other options would be Thunderpunch, which lets you 2HKO Ho-Oh and Kyogre after a little bit of residual, Hammer Arm for slow Extremekiller, Ice Punch for Gliscor / Landorus although those two are not really great this generation, and you can use Stealth Rock or Toxic if you really want. You'll have to ask QC about their opinion on Rock Polish but from experience I can tell you that it is rather mediocre and that the above set is very solid alongside the correct team support. I personally dropped Earthquake as I was running Draco Giratina-Origin, but you might not want to do that so Earthquake should definitely be one of the first choices. I legitinately have no clue what the slashing should be like.

Last edited:
Helo, Rock Polish Metagross is nowhere near the best set, in fact it is actually really bad due to being walled so easily, as even the things hit supereffectively are able to take a hit and OHKO back.

Your main (and maybe only) set should probably be:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 136 HP / 196 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Pursuit

The spread is to outspeed base 100s and live a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas after Stealth Rock.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 266-314 (79.4 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Fire vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 268-316 (80 - 94.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

you may want to push the HP EVs up to 148 or 152 to live the HP Fire guaranteed but HP Fire is not really viable on Geomancy Xerneas as Focus Blast is mandatory and HP Fire + Focus Blast gives trash redundant coverage. Zen Headbutt is a strong neutral attack against Palkia, Kyogre, and Ho-Oh.

Metagross Pursuit traps Lati@s very nicely due to its nice resistances, Earthquake is for Primal Groudon, Meteor Mash is for Xerneas, Bullet Punch is also for Xerneas and lets you blow Diancie away before it can Earth Power you, with priority always being nice too. Other options would be Thunderpunch, which lets you 2HKO Ho-Oh and Kyogre after a little bit of residual, Hammer Arm for slow Extremekiller, Ice Punch for Gliscor / Landorus although those two are not really great this generation, and you can use Stealth Rock or Toxic if you really want. You'll have to ask QC about their opinion on Rock Polish but from experience I can tell you that it is rather mediocre and that the above set is very solid alongside the correct team support. I personally dropped Earthquake as I was running Draco Giratina-Origin, but you might not want to do that so Earthquake should definitely be one of the first choices. I legitinately have no clue what the slashing should be like.
My honest mistake, I meant to put that set down. I guess my phone didn't save what I had done. I'll be more than happy to add it as top priority, thank you :)
I will add Rock Polish to OO once I get off the road

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Zen Headbutt is generally a rather poor move for anything other than "this might be safe to throw out" (which isn't necessarily true since most Ubers resist Psychic anyways). The only notable thing you're hitting with ZHB harder than everything else Metagross gets is Palkia - Fightceus and Poisonceus are nowhere to be seen and Blaziken bops you anyways (or dies to EQ+Bullet).

I'd consider Thunderpunch on that slot (or toxic because that might be Metagross' best way to cripple bulkier Arceus formes). With Thunderpunch, you'll get a much stronger hit on Ho-Oh and Kyogre, as well as a bit more damage than Meteor Mash on Lugia and Yveltal.

Zen Headbutt is generally a rather poor move for anything other than "this might be safe to throw out" (which isn't necessarily true since most Ubers resist Psychic anyways). The only notable thing you're hitting with ZHB harder than everything else Metagross gets is Palkia - Fightceus and Poisonceus are nowhere to be seen and Blaziken bops you anyways (or dies to EQ+Bullet).

I'd consider Thunderpunch on that slot (or toxic because that might be Metagross' best way to cripple bulkier Arceus formes). With Thunderpunch, you'll get a much stronger hit on Ho-Oh and Kyogre, as well as a bit more damage than Meteor Mash on Lugia and Yveltal.
Ok, I'll add it as a slash.

i would give pursuit a first slash on this as trapping latis (without hpfire) is a big draw of using mgross. zhb is mediocre as stated; thunder punch is somewhat useful; rock polish can potentially be considered over bullet punch if this isn't your only xern check and especially if you use tpunch.

tl;dr i'm suggesting:
mmash
earthquake
bp/rp
pursuit/tpunch

Ty shrang I will add it
And no, Lugiatina, but defensive Yveltal can easily take meta's moves. That was my mistake, fixing

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this mon a bit recently (as a SR setter and 2ndary Xern check though, so slightly different), but either way I'm not entirely sure you need to outspeed base 100s. The notable mons in that tier are like

Mega Kanga (it does solid damage to you, though you do solid damage back)
Palkia (you can't really touch)
Xern (doesn't run max Speed, you beat regardless)
Yveltal (Sucker does a ton, also doesn't run max Speed afaik)
Genesect (usually Scarfed anyway, you give the Special Attack boost so U-turn doesn't hit as hard, rarely runs Flamethrower so it doesn't really damage you)
Salamence pre-mega (it gets the Intimidate off on you since you will probably be Mega'd, and after that you don't really damage it. If you bring it in the same turn, well you're slower anyway)

Unless I've missed anything, I think you could go 136 HP / 236 Atk / 136 Spe Adamant / Jolly or add some more bulk (though it wouldn't really be enough to do much). It's faster than base 95s ie Rayquaza and you have a nice chance of KOing after Rocks, while Earthquake doesn't kill in return.

Edit: oh yeah, maybe Iron Head OO mention for the accuracy in case you can't afford to miss vs Xern or something

Last edited:
I had this great idea of SR and Pursuit on the same set today o.o It's supposed to do the same thing Tyranitar does, but isn't complete Xerneas food
The only problem I see with that is it limits its coverage moves, making it a lot easier to wall.
They're probably better off on different sets, but someone can correct me otherwise.

Just like to let you know that you mentioned thunder punch but didn't discuss its targets (Kyogre, ho-oh, megamence?). Could also maybe put explosion in Other Options or alternative coverage? It has a chance to OHKO 248/0 ho-oh and let it go down in a bang

The Steel / Psychic typing ensures that Metagross is an excellent check to the Lati twins as is, especially since they won't be throwing around Sun-boosted HP Fire's unless your opponent uses a rare Sun team. I wouldn't use Mega Metagross without Pursuit, considering how good a job it does at trapping them. They can try to Roost-stall you, but risk getting a Meteor Mash to the face. That and Bullet Punch to pick off weakened Xerneas are what make Metagross somewhat justifiable. You lose out on Earthquake (walled by Primal Groudon) or Thunder Punch (can't hit Kyogre or Ho-Oh hard on the switch; you don't stay in on them when they're healthy anyway), but I really feel Pursuit is important as trapping the Lati's while checking Xerneas with one set is solid role compression, while Metagross is fast and strong enough to stand a chance to deal damage to other stuff, too.

The EV Spread given would be for a Jolly Metagross. That is fine, but slash Jolly first over Adamant. In Team Options, I'm less concerned about giving Metagross hazard support (it doesn't really need it to fulfill its main roles) and more concerned about the switches this gives Groudon unless you predict like a lord. Consider Primal Groudon checks like Arceus-Ground, which also handles Dialga, etc.

Mention Toxic in OO to hit birds, Groudon, Kyogre, bulky Arceus, etc. God i'm turning into mm2.

QC 1/3

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
not QC, but I do have a suggestion,
I have been using Rock Slide on MMeta and it has been working out pretty well. It mitigates Ho-Oh as a check which is extremely nice and probably deserves moves.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This writeup needs a lot of work. Basically, it looks like you've just converted your dot point skeleton into sentences and have 1) not expanded on it at all and 2) not explained why things are necessary.

Overview:
- There is a bit of overhyping here. You have focused on the positive aspects of Mega Metagross a bit too much over its negatives. Mention that while it has EQ, it does not enjoy taking on Primal Groudon, the #1 threat in the game. Mention that has trouble with a number of other top threats (Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groundceus, Gira-O, Ygod, Support Arc). Mention that it's fairly stall weak. Mention that while Steel, even with its ability to hit Fairy super effectively, is still a pretty poor offensive STAB. Finally, you need to mention that it takes up your Mega slot, an investment which can be better spent on something more worthwhile like Mega Mence or Mega Gengar, so you really need to play Mega Metagross to its strengths.
- Clear Body does not need to be mentioned. You're going to be Mega evolving ASAP otherwise Metagross sucks balls.
- You need to explain Mega Metagross's niche in the metagame. It's used to check Lati@s with Pursuit and GeoXern with Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash. That's about it. It's outclassed in other roles by better Pokemon.

Moves:
Pursuit is a good option to hit Latias and Latios as they try to switch out. Thunder Punch can be used to hit bulky Water and Flying types like Kyorgre and Yveltal that would normally wall Metagross. Meteor Mash is a reliable STAB move that gets boosted by Tough Claws and has the chance to raise Attack. Earthquake is to deal well with bulky Steel and Fire type Pokémon like Primal Groudon and Arceus Steel. Bullet Punch is for powerful priority to pick off weakened foes and frail, faster targets.
- Pursuit - Why is this good? Explain. I know it's obvious to us, but it isn't to the average joe.
- Thunder Punch - Also hit Ho-oh for SE
- Meteor Mash - What else does it do? What about the fact that it OHKOs Xerneas and other Fairies?
- Bullet Punch - Like what? Give examples.
- Move order - I'd prefer if went in the order Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch / EQ / Pursuit | Thunder Punch. This would reflect MM and BP actually being the main attacks while the other two are coverage.

Set Details:
- This is the place where you explain what the set does. Explain that it's a Lati@s and GeoXern check. It can also check Mega Mence if it's healthy. Explain how it does it.
The HP investment is to allow Metagross to survive a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas, although you can change the HP EVs to 152 for a guaranteed live against HP Fire from Xerneas. Metagross hits extremely hard without max investment in Attack. An Adamant nature allows you to hit as hard as possible, while Jolly allows you to Speed tie with positive nature base 110s like Latias, Latios and Gengar after Mega Evolving.
- You explained the HP investment, but what about the rest? What does 176 Spe outspeed? Again, I know most experienced players know that it outspeeds base 100s (which tbh the only significant base 100 is Palkia and that walls you anyways, maybe move it down to 168 Spe to outspeed 99s), but your average joe doesn't. You really need to make it clear. After you've explained the Speed EVs, you can easily just add "the rest are dumped into Attack so Metagross hits as hard as possible)
- "Metagross hits hard without max investment" - how hard? Give an example or two, otherwise don't mention it.
- Jolly - how are you speed-tieing with them if you're not running max Speed? You're under the assumption that they don't run max Speed themselves, which 2/3 Pokemon you mentioned do. I think it's more important to mention that you are outspeed absolute maximum speed base 100s if you want to explain what Jolly does.

Usage Tips:
Metagross works best as a late game cleaner when the majority of its checks and counters are weakened or KOed.
- Um, no it's not.

Team Options:
- The list you have is not bad, but add Arc-Rock next to Arc-Electric (I mean seriously, Arc-Electric is the first mon you can think of in this metagame?).
- Add Giratina-O to your list of Flyers/Levitators
- I know you have Lati@s, but what else beats Kyogre in this metagame? You seem to have forgotten Metagross has trouble with it.
- Add Pokemon that can help remove and switch into Metagross's counters. I'm really not in the mood to spell out a list right now to spoonfeed to you, but I do want you to think about which Pokemon beat Mega Metagross (hint look at your Checks and Counters list), and then which Pokemon can help you beat those counters. I want you to come up with a relatively comprehensive list, looking at probably 10+ Pokemon that can be used with Mega Metagross.

Other Options:
- Fine

Checks and Counters:
- Bulky Waters - why Zen Headbutt? Don't you have Thunder Punch now? Also, what other bulky Waters are there? Add Arc-Water and Palkia, please
- Add Dialga as a check - if it doesn't switch in on EQ, Shuca variants (which are standard) will take an EQ and Fire Blast your face off.
- Add other Support Arcs with WoW as counters/checks. Basically, anything that's not Rock or Fairy fits that bill.
- Add Darkceus
- Add Gliscor as a check.
- Add Pokemon that can threaten to deal a lot of damage to Metagross on the revenge - Darkrai fits this pretty well. So does Mega Gengar.

This writeup needs a lot of work. Basically, it looks like you've just converted your dot point skeleton into sentences and have 1) not expanded on it at all and 2) not explained why things are necessary.

Overview:
- There is a bit of overhyping here. You have focused on the positive aspects of Mega Metagross a bit too much over its negatives. Mention that while it has EQ, it does not enjoy taking on Primal Groudon, the #1 threat in the game. Mention that has trouble with a number of other top threats (Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groundceus, Gira-O, Ygod, Support Arc). Mention that it's fairly stall weak. Mention that while Steel, even with its ability to hit Fairy super effectively, is still a pretty poor offensive STAB. Finally, you need to mention that it takes up your Mega slot, an investment which can be better spent on something more worthwhile like Mega Mence or Mega Gengar, so you really need to play Mega Metagross to its strengths.
- Clear Body does not need to be mentioned. You're going to be Mega evolving ASAP otherwise Metagross sucks balls.
- You need to explain Mega Metagross's niche in the metagame. It's used to check Lati@s with Pursuit and GeoXern with Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash. That's about it. It's outclassed in other roles by better Pokemon.

Moves:

- Pursuit - Why is this good? Explain. I know it's obvious to us, but it isn't to the average joe.
- Thunder Punch - Also hit Ho-oh for SE
- Meteor Mash - What else does it do? What about the fact that it OHKOs Xerneas and other Fairies?
- Bullet Punch - Like what? Give examples.
- Move order - I'd prefer if went in the order Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch / EQ / Pursuit | Thunder Punch. This would reflect MM and BP actually being the main attacks while the other two are coverage.

Set Details:
- This is the place where you explain what the set does. Explain that it's a Lati@s and GeoXern check. It can also check Mega Mence if it's healthy. Explain how it does it.

- You explained the HP investment, but what about the rest? What does 176 Spe outspeed? Again, I know most experienced players know that it outspeeds base 100s (which tbh the only significant base 100 is Palkia and that walls you anyways, maybe move it down to 168 Spe to outspeed 99s), but your average joe doesn't. You really need to make it clear. After you've explained the Speed EVs, you can easily just add "the rest are dumped into Attack so Metagross hits as hard as possible)
- "Metagross hits hard without max investment" - how hard? Give an example or two, otherwise don't mention it.
- Jolly - how are you speed-tieing with them if you're not running max Speed? You're under the assumption that they don't run max Speed themselves, which 2/3 Pokemon you mentioned do. I think it's more important to mention that you are outspeed absolute maximum speed base 100s if you want to explain what Jolly does.

Usage Tips:

- Um, no it's not.

Team Options:
- The list you have is not bad, but add Arc-Rock next to Arc-Electric (I mean seriously, Arc-Electric is the first mon you can think of in this metagame?).
- Add Giratina-O to your list of Flyers/Levitators
- I know you have Lati@s, but what else beats Kyogre in this metagame? You seem to have forgotten Metagross has trouble with it.
- Add Pokemon that can help remove and switch into Metagross's counters. I'm really not in the mood to spell out a list right now to spoonfeed to you, but I do want you to think about which Pokemon beat Mega Metagross (hint look at your Checks and Counters list), and then which Pokemon can help you beat those counters. I want you to come up with a relatively comprehensive list, looking at probably 10+ Pokemon that can be used with Mega Metagross.

Other Options:
- Fine

Checks and Counters:
- Bulky Waters - why Zen Headbutt? Don't you have Thunder Punch now? Also, what other bulky Waters are there? Add Arc-Water and Palkia, please
- Add Dialga as a check - if it doesn't switch in on EQ, Shuca variants (which are standard) will take an EQ and Fire Blast your face off.
- Add other Support Arcs with WoW as counters/checks. Basically, anything that's not Rock or Fairy fits that bill.
- Add Darkceus
- Add Gliscor as a check.
- Add Pokemon that can threaten to deal a lot of damage to Metagross on the revenge - Darkrai fits this pretty well. So does Mega Gengar.
I meant to say that I dropped this a while ago. I've fallen out of Ubers recently, and I've had a lot of personal issues come up, and I wont be active enough to finish this. Sorry for making you type up all of that. Someone can lock this.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I'm sure someone should take this over.

Just curious but what's the point of using mega metagross over aegislash? As far as I see it you're trading some extra longevity and priority that hits mewtwo harder and lets it check Deoxys-Speed leads, for the ability to hit certain switch-ins harder (like primal groudon, ho-oh, kyogre, etc) OR stealth rocks.

Also to me it's kinda obvious primal kyogre's an amazing partner since it lures out lati@s and loves having them being pursuited away. Anything that can switch into Pdon/Ho-oh then from that point on [which Pogre can do to an extent]

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Piexplode
You use Mega Metagross for Speed and Slide-Quake. I am pretty sure it needs both in order to be used properly in my opinion, and I will go more into why I think this whenever this is taken over. You also have to weigh this with the opportunity cost taking the Mega Slot which makes this barely worth using even with these conditions imo, but it does have a recognizable niche which is why I think it should go through anyways.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't mind taking this over as it is technically already written (but needs a bit of work) and seeing as I was the main proponent of Shrang's long check in attempt to get this analysis up to standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)