Metagross (RS, Small Changes)

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/metagross

The following is probably the second most abundant metagross in the late advance metagame.

Additions:

[SET]
Name: HPGross
Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Hidden Power Grass
Move 3: Explosion
Move 4: Earthquake / Pursuit
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 20 Def / 8 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Designed to counter the grossly over-used Swampert, one may think this is an over-centralised set. However, the small investment in Special Attack, to allow it to comfortably 2HKO the majority of Swampert with Hidden Power Grass, is of little consequence when Metagross retains most of its defensive strength and powerful offensive force. Meteor Mash is its main STAB move - a vital move in breaking down the opponent's walls while supplementing it a chance of receiving an Attack boost - which can in turn result in a decision of a possible Explosion next turn. An option of Earthquake can be used to counter common threats and guarantee that OHKO on most Dugtrios, of which the important Attack EVs allow it to do so. Pursuit can alternatively be used to KO Gengar or a Choice Band user unfortunate enough to be faced with an ineffective move against Metagross.</p>

I also think Pursuit should be a valid option on the Mixed Attacker set. Though I do believe this would be in place of psychic and would probably result in a reworking of the ev spread. Also to add, I'd say the CB description needs to point out the benefits of its key attacks instead of jumping into minor details about Sludge Bomb (which is rarely used).

Addition to EVs:
<p>For Ubers, 252 HP / 132 Atk / 44 Def / 80 SpD is better suited. 252 HP aids it in giving Metagross its required defensive strength. An additional 44 Defense EVs allow it to survive a +1 Attack Rayquaza Earthquake whilst the 80 Special defense EVs allow it to not be 2HKOed by Thunder from Mewtwo. The rest of the EVs should be poured into Attack for key damaging purposes.<p>

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the small investment in special attack
'special attack' should be 'Special Attack'.

to allow it to comfortably 2HKO the majority of Swamperts with Hidden Power Grass
'Swamperts' should be 'Swampert'.

chance of receiving an attack boost
of which the important attack evs allow it to do so
'attack' should be 'Attack'.
'evs' should be 'EVs'

And Pursuit can alternatively be used as an important KO on Gengar or a CBer unfortunate
Remove 'And', remove 'as an important' and 'on' and add 'to' before 'Gengar'.
Remove CBer and replace with 'Choice Band user'.

For Ubers, 252 HP / 132 Atk / 44 Def / 80 SDef is better suited
'SDef' should be 'SpD'.

An additional 44 defense EVs allow it to survive a +1 Attack Rayquaza Earthquake whilst the 80 Special defense evs allow it to not be 2HKOed by Thunder from Mewtwo. The rest of the EVs should be poured into attack for key damaging purposes.
'defense' should be 'Defense'.
Remove the space in '+ 1'.
'Special defense evs' should be 'Special Defense EVs'.
'attack' should be 'Attack'.

[SET]
Name: HPGross
Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Hidden Power Grass
Move 3: Explosion
Move 4: Earthquake / Pursuit
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 20 Def / 8 SpA

I also think the set should be ordered like this instead.

Make these changes and I'll add it to the site (preferably after a little moer input, but we don't have that many people who still play Advance a lot, so I don't think it'll matter much).

Lutra

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
K thanks, I'm pretty sure I made all the changes. Just go ahead and make any other changes Havak, it's probably quicker than stating the things that need to be changed. It's not as if there is any ambiguity in the ways it can be improved.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't edit your post in this forum, so it'd be easier for you to make the changes so I can just copy and paste. (We'd rather have finalized edits in the Peer Edit Archive).

Lutra

Ok, I've think I've implemented your changes. Thank you to Caelum for telling me how to lay it out.

Havak

Okay, thanks. I added this to the site already. I missed out 'Dugtrios' which should just be 'Dugtrio', so edited that. But when I thought about it again, why were you talking about Dugtrio along with Earthquake? Meteor Mash is undoubtably doing more damage, no? You're not locked into Earthquake so it wouldn't be a hinderence to have to use it against Dugtrio. Also, do the extra 8 Defence EVs do anything worth note? Choice Band Dugtrio can't KO a Metagross with 252 HP / 12 Def IIRC (though I did always use 16 Def in Advance).

Lutra

Earthquake secures the KO if you don't want to miss with meteor mash, HP Grass has a minus affect on Def.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)