Metagross (Uber Specially Defensive)

ShinyAzelf made the EV spread and helped me with the moveset. :) Credit him for that :)

QC Approvals 0/3

Metagross (Leftovers)
Name: Defensive Metagross (Ubers)
Clear Body
Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Bullet Punch
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Explosion/Stealth Rock/Pursuit
Item: Leftovers/Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp. Def
Careful Nature

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
• Easily switches into Draco Meteors, Spacial Rend, Outrage etc.
• Very bulky, can even take a Modest Special Attack from Kyogre in the rain.
• Very good Lati@s counter
• Metagross has a good Attack stat even with a small amount of investment in Attack EVs.
• Meteor Mash and Earthquake provides good coverage.
• Bullet Punch can be used to revenge kill threats with low health.

Damage calcs:
• Timid Max Special Attack + 1 Mewtwo (Aura Sphere) vs Max HP/252 Sp. Def Careful Metagross: 23.6% - 28%Therefore it an always survive at least 3 hits and counter with Meteor Mash or Explosion.
• Adamant Max Attack Ho-oh (Sacred Fire) vs Max HP/0 Def Careful Metagross: 79.1% - 92.9%. Then Explosion and kill Ho-oh.
• Timid Choice Scarf Max Sp. Atk Kyogre (Water Spout) vs Careful Max HP / Max Sp. Def Metagross: 86.5% - 102.2% so it would sometimes survive the hit.

Teammates:
• Kyogre is a very good teammate thanks to rain support
• Kyogre lures in Lati@s and Palkia, Metagross take them out
• Metagross can take Grass Knots for Kyogre

Additional Comments:
• The Leftovers for the Metagross is so that it could recover every turn.
• The Choice Band option would help with its attack power if need so it would be bulky and strong in attack.
• If you want to make the Metagross physically bulkier, you can run the ev spread of 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD, which can survive a 156 Atk Adamant Groudon earthquake at 89.7% - 106.3%

Counters:
• Groudon is a significant counter to this set, as the typical form (252 Atk, adamant nature) OHKOs it with Earthquake and you cannot retaliate
• Modest Max Special Attack Kyogre KOes this with Water Spout in the rain.
• Deoxys-A KOes this set with Superpower

Thats the moveset, hope you guys like it.

Maybe mention Stealth Rock over maybe Explosion? Since you're trying to take Meteors and stuff you need to stay alive, and Explosion seems a bit counterproductive. SR gives it something to do to stop things like Ho-oh from coming in and ruining your party.

Just a thought.

I'll slash Stealth Rock with Explosion. However, Explosion lets me take out Kyogre and some other threats. But, yeah thats a good idea. Thank you!

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not too experienced with Ubers, but this seems like a nice Lati@s/Mewtwo counter, so wouldn't Pursuit work out well? That way you can at least damage them as they leave instead of exploding on a Giratina or something.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a note but what are you really using Bullet Punch for? When I ran Metagross in Ubers I quickly decided to use something like Ice Punch or Thunder Punch. I know that priority is great but personally it does not seem to be hugely useful.

Nice job taking ShinyAzelf's set Xanxus, he was going to send it to you so you could check it and see if you like it, not so that you could steal it...

I didn't steal his moveset, ShinyAzelf and I made the moves together and helped me aside with the EV spread. We came up with different counters moves against other pokemon

Xanxus, of course you didn't steal it, I mean, all ShinyAzelf did was share it with you for some helpful comments and you posted it on QC, and btw, don't use pursuit, I'd recommend Explosion, makes Metagross's last words meaningful and takes out some bulky threats

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would use Lum Berry as an alt option. This way, it can semi-do good vs Darkrai. I am also tempted to say Occa as this way it can take Draco Meteors and FB's without losing too much HP. This would be big vs stuff like MixQuaza.

Calc-42.3% - 50% -2 Fire Blast from standard MixQuaza.

Where are these Evs coming from? Why not 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Sp. Def?

With the current EVs Latios have a decent chance of 2koing you with thunder after Stealth rock.

Timid Max Special Attack Latios (Thunder) vs Max HP/196 Sp. Def Careful Metagross: 43.7% - 51.6%

So after stealth rock, it would do 93.7% - 109.6%.

If you invest 252/252 in both HP and Sp. def than Latios will barely ever 2ko with Stealth rock.

Why are these Evs coming from? Why not 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Sp. Def?

With the current EVs Latios have a decent chance of 2koing you with thunder after Stealth rock.

Timid Max Special Attack Latios (Thunder) vs Max HP/196 Sp. Def Careful Metagross: 43.7% - 51.6%

So after stealth rock, it would do 93.7% - 109.6%.

If you invest 252/252 in both HP and Sp. def than Latios will barely ever 2ko with Stealth rock.
Latios usually carries Hp Fire, not thunder. Latias carries thunder.

Latios usually carries Hp Fire, not thunder. Latias carries thunder.
You seem to be mistaken, according to the most recent statistics (August 2010), Latios, Thunder was the most commonly used move on Latios, with 65.7% of Latios knowing the move. I have no idea where you are coming from.

You seem to be mistaken, according to the most recent statistics (August 2010), Latios, Thunder was the most commonly used move on Latios, with 65.7% of Latios knowing the move. I have no idea where you are coming from.
Must've changed recently, I stopped playing on shoddy a while back.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes he did, and I either i) think Theorymon would already have something like this in mind or ii) can't see why we can't just make a mention of this should Tmon not have it at the moment.

I think Choice Band should also be an option, since both Scizor and Tyranitar run Specially Defensive sets with CB, to retain their high damage output but live through high powered Special Attacks.

Personally, I think Explosion should be mandatory on the set to differentiate it from Scizor, who can pull of a similar set without Explosion, except with stronger Priority, and U-Turn.

Personally, I think Hammer Arm is superior to Earthquake on an Ubers set A good proportion of the tier is immune to EQ via flying type or levitate. You only miss out on hitting other Psychic/Steels super effective and have the added advantages of doing a little bit of damage to things that are immune to EQ, as well as preventing a weakened Skarm from roosting by spamming Hammer Arm. The Speed Drop should keep you faster than Gyro Ball Forry and definieitly faster than Wobb

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Choice Band should also be an option, since both Scizor and Tyranitar run Specially Defensive sets with CB, to retain their high damage output but live through high powered Special Attacks.
Theorymon has actually reserved Metagross, and has that set in progress, he will post it *eventually*. The reason this is allowed is because he didn't have this specific set in mind. On the matter of this set, I haven't really used any Metagross set besides CB/bulky CB, so when I have time I'll test this.

After I have tested out this Metagross, I realized one final weakness, Kyogre can use Hydro Pump and Water Spout, and by doing so, OHKOing your Metagross. Therefore, I suggest you run a EV spread of 252HP/252Sp.def/4Atk so that you can live a Hydro Pump 100% of the time, and Water Spout 90% of the time in the rain.

Remember to also max HP EVs,

Also, I do not see the need for Pursuit, simply because in the Uber tier, all the pokemon that are weak to it, i.e. Giratina, don't get hurt that much by it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)