Pokémon Metagross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Greninja is definitely a thing, since it's used to Revenge Kill Mega Salamence (though it is a pretty bad set otherwise).

I run 92 speed EVs just so I can kill max speed Heatran without needing the Agility boost

Even tho it might seem counterintuitive to run Hammer Arm with the Agility set, it works out pretty well anyway. You can hit Skarm, Ferro, and other things really hard and then once they're gone, you find a chance to boost up and clean up with its STABs. And even if you did need to use Hammer Arm once after an Agility boost, you're still faster than the entire unboosted metagame anyway after the drop.

I've just found the elemental punches to be too weak. They're great for cleaning up and against HO but then Metagross can't put in work against bulky, slow teams

Idk if this has been said before, but grass knot>bullet punch for the sheer fact of getting a 2hko on slowbro switchin-ins with no ev investment. It gets the tough Claws boost because although special, it's a contact move. Also does wonders for Alomomola, hippowdon, swampert and quag, netting you nice surprise kills.

I kinda like the standard OU rotom wash set as a neat little partner for mega metagross, they cover eachother's weaknesses nicely.

and Ive had some slight succes with this mega meta set.

Metagross-Mega
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature

Zen Headbutt/Meteor mash
Hone claws
Earthquake/thunderpunch
Refresh/Substitute

Ive been testing this set for a bit (sadly enough I dont have any available replays due to the server not allowing it ATM), its a fun little set up set focused on breaking stall. it also pulls its weight vs offence if you have favorable matchup.

In my humble oppinion, this set also loves latias as a partner for the healing wish it grants, or just anything with any wish support in general. Rotom also takes care of most of this sets checks and/or counters.

Notice: I changed the EV's so it can do its job a bit better, the new EV's are 144 hp, 252 Attack and 112 speed with an adamant nature.

Edit: I derped the spread, its supposed to have 116 speed and 140 HP. sorry

Last edited:
I feel like Iron Head would a bit more reliable than Meteor Mash, what with accuracy and MM getting the slight damage nerf. I can't access a damage calculator at the moment, but thoughts?

I feel like Iron Head would a bit more reliable than Meteor Mash, what with accuracy and MM getting the slight damage nerf. I can't access a damage calculator at the moment, but thoughts?
I see it more as a slash or OO on a set than anything else; it's a slightly different version of the "Flamethrower vs. Fire Blast" argument.

i don't have time right now for calcs right now but when you are using metagross you probably want to hit as hard as possible and so thats why people use meteor smash. the chance to boost metagross' attack is p good as well i guess.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
MM is the only viable metod for Metagross to get an attack boost (Hone Claws isn't that good) and the 10% chanche of miss isn't that big so MM is actually preferable over Iron Head

Meteor Mash boosts happens pretty rarely, and when it does happen it's at times when you probably need to switch out next turn. And ofc the ocassional miss sucks

Iron Head is not only reliable, but the flinch happens consistently (just look at Scald burns). The damage drop isn't a big deal. No one runs Aqua Tail over Waterfall because accuracy is better, should be a similar case here.

Iron head is a bit more reliable yes, but it kind of does lack in power compared to meteor mash, ive tried running both and ive gotten some kills that i wouldnt have gotten with iron head, though this may seem a bit too based on personal events i still prefer the attack boost it can get over the flinch chance.

Also, with this set accurasy isnt as much of an issue

Last edited:
On an Agility set at the very least, Iron Head is much preferred.

Take a scenario where both Iron Head and Meteor Mash are a 2HKO on an opponent.

• Iron Head has a 100% chance to hit, and a 30% chance to prevent the opponent from moving if they don't use priority. This can frequently save your life if it prevented you from taking damage that would have killed you otherwise, also leaving you in better health overall and less likely to get revenged by the rest of the opponent's team.
  • Meteor Mash has 90% chance to hit, on top of 20% chance to get an Attack boost. This means the actual odds of getting an Attack boost are 18% (minor detail). Regardless, the boost does not happen until after the attack, meaning the opponent is still 2HKO regardless, and that is assuming the miss/lack of flinch didn't prevent the opponent from KOing you outright on the first turn.
If you are going to use Metagross as a cleaner, Iron Head is the superior choice. If you are going to simply run 4 Attacks instead on a Jolly set, then I think Meteor Mash is fine. Think of it this way: In essence in this scenario at least, Iron Head has the potential to be a technical OHKO over 2 turns, and Meteor Mash has the potential to be a 3HKO or worse, odds permitting.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On an Agility set at the very least, Iron Head is much preferred.

Take a scenario where both Iron Head and Meteor Mash are a 2HKO on an opponent.

• Iron Head has a 100% chance to hit, and a 30% chance to prevent the opponent from moving if they don't use priority. This can frequently save your life if it prevented you from taking damage that would have killed you otherwise, also leaving you in better health overall and less likely to get revenged by the rest of the opponent's team.
  • Meteor Mash has 90% chance to miss, on top of 10% chance to get an Attack boost. This means the actual odds of getting an Attack boost are 9% (minor detail). Regardless, the boost does not happen until after the attack, meaning the opponent is still 2HKO regardless, and that is assuming the miss/lack of flinch didn't prevent the opponent from KOing you outright on the first turn.
If you are going to use Metagross as a cleaner, Iron Head is the superior choice. If you are going to simply run 4 Attacks instead on a Jolly set, then I think Meteor Mash is fine. Think of it this way: In essence in this scenario at least, Iron Head has the potential to be a technical OHKO over 2 turns, and Meteor Mash has the potential to be a 3HKO or worse, odds permitting.
Small nitpick, but Meteor Mash has a 90% chance to hit (yeah ik it was a typo). But also, Meteor Mash's attack boost chance is 20%, not 10%.

I agree with ur post tho, just pointing out two pretty big errors in it.

Anyone else been running toxic on this thing?

I figure mega meta isn't going to be beating ferrothorn/skarm anytime soon, but toxic cripples a lot of pokemon that are very annoying to offensive builds, in particular slowbro, cress, and gyara. It's also a nice last ditch way to cripple mega mence that try to set up on an intimidated mega meta.

I doubt its the best option to run on mega meta for many teams, but i feel like it's a super underrated option, especially against teams that use something like cress as their catch-all new-megas counter.

Last edited:
It seems like an interesting idea, but mega metagross really needs all the coverage it can get, and it's sort of a waste of potential, given that it has really high offensive stats. However, it does have really good bulk, so it may be able to pull it off sometimes. Not to mention it's also really fast, and is really unpredictable.

It seems like an interesting idea, but mega metagross really needs all the coverage it can get, and it's sort of a waste of potential, given that it has really high offensive stats. However, it does have really good bulk, so it may be able to pull it off sometimes. Not to mention it's also really fast, and is really unpredictable.
yea, i see what you mean. but idk, I feel like its a good lure option. Maybe it's just me, but I'd personally rather run it over ice punch on a lot of my teams on an all-attacking set since since chomp/latis still take a buttload from meteor mash, and it still cripples lando-t/mence along with a lot of other stuff, especially the bulky birds/waters (like zap, mandi, slowbro, cress, non-lum/mega gyara, latias, mew, rotom, non-lum dnite, alomomola, gastrodon, etc.).

grass knot / hp fire are good options too, but i dislike moves that are only useful vs 1 or 2 pokes. They take care of 1-2 counters to megameta, but toxic cripples a whole group of them.

The one thing that does admittedly suck is gliscor though.

Last edited:
After reading the OP..

Metagross's defenses aren't too bad...

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

I know it kinda gimmicky but I'm just trying to see what we can think of consiture 80/150/110 bulk is pretty insane.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After reading the OP..

Metagross's defenses aren't too bad...

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

I know it kinda gimmicky but I'm just trying to see what we can think of consiture 80/150/110 bulk is pretty insane.
SubToxic doesn't work on something that has absolutely zero recovery. Metagross is meant to be a bulky offensive tank, not used in a defensive role that is 100% outclassed by Jirachi.

Has anyone mentioned bullet punch? Speed boost is great and all but I feel the punch priority would be nice to hit some key kos against set up monsters. Also in terms of partners would gliscor be considered a good member for building a team? Meta is susceptible to ground movers and the flying bat helps combat that. Gliscor also seems great as a toxic supporter role to knock off key choice scarfs on threats like landorus t.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Has anyone mentioned bullet punch? Speed boost is great and all but I feel the punch priority would be nice to hit some key kos against set up monsters. Also in terms of partners would gliscor be considered a good member for building a team? Meta is susceptible to ground movers and the flying bat helps combat that. Gliscor also seems great as a toxic supporter role to knock off key choice scarfs on threats like landorus t.
Gliscor does nothing out of taking ground type attacks, and fears switching in to knock off if it hasn't been poisoned by its orb. Metagross itself can take a few hits on the physical side as well. I think(haven't played oras yet, but i can assume this) that Metagross needs a specially defensive fairy, and Togekiss can fit the bill. It gives you the steel+fairy core, and you can add Garchomp or Amoongus for electric attacks(this is off my head, not sure)

I figure mega meta isn't going to be beating ferrothorn/skarm anytime soon, but toxic cripples a lot of pokemon that are very annoying to offensive builds, in particular slowbro, cress, and gyara. It's also a nice last ditch way to cripple mega mence that try to set up on an intimidated mega meta.

I doubt its the best option to run on mega meta for many teams, but i feel like it's a super underrated option, especially against teams that use something like cress as their catch-all new-megas counter.
Toxic does nothing to Ferro and Skarm (both of which can be beaten with Hammer Arm) and Slowbro (non mega/CM) doesn't care care that much about Toxic as its mostly a damage sponge pivot with Regenerator anyway.

I'm not sure about Cress, is that actually used a lot?

Gyarados, won't like to switch in on Metagross as it doesn't want to take any unnecessary damage plus it will have to play mindgames with mega evolving to not get wrecked by Zen Headbutt or Hammer Arm.

I suppose it could set up on Metagross if it intimidates him but still, toxic is far too situational, simply running Thunderpunch would be a better choice if Gyarados is a problem to your team.

Actually Mega Meta can beat Ferro / Skarm with Hammer Arm. (It is Super Effective on the former and the Speed drop will eventually cause Mega Meta to be slower than Skarm so that it gets destroyed by Hammer Arm after Roosting). Gyarados takes a lot of damage coming into Metagross's attack anyway, especially if you haven't Mega Evolved yet (since Clear Body negates Stat drops). Mega Slowbro(ken) doesn't care about Toxic if it is the CroBro set while regular Slowbro and Cresselia can heal up with their recovery and switch out before Toxic damage builds up.

Just a little tiny nit pick, Zapdos' SpDef didn't drop cos of Sheer Force :p.

Good sets and a scary ass mon regardless of the set, not sure if mentioned already but would a GK set be worth considering or is it simply outclassed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)