Media Metalheads Thread III

The new Panopticon / Waldgeflüster split is awesome
https://nordvis.bandcamp.com/album/panopticon-waldgefl-ster-split-album

I have never heard Waldgeflüster before but his style of "epic" atmospheric black metal is a perfect fit for Panopticon, who has himself been heading in a similar direction with his recent releases. I will definitely be checking out this artist's back catalog. The new Panopticon song is dedicated to his first born son, and is a very emotional track. The clean break in the middle of the song is a particular highlight. Both artists close their respective sides with a cover of one of the other artist's accoustic songs, played in their own style.

Last edited:
The new Panopticon / Waldgeflüster split is awesome
https://nordvis.bandcamp.com/album/panopticon-waldgefl-ster-split-album

I have never heard Waldgeflüster before but his style of "epic" atmospheric black metal is a perfect fit for Panopticon, who has himself been heading in a similar direction with his recent releases. I will definitely be checking out this artist's back catalog. The new Panopticon song is dedicated to his first born son, and is a very emotional track. The clean break in the middle of the song is a particular highlight. Both artists close their respective sides with a cover of one of the other artist's accoustic songs, played in own style.
oh sweet i missed that one somehow.

both bands are great.

current highlights of the year for me are Lycus, The Great Cold, Spektr and Entropia.

i'm listening to the new Rorcal right now and it's really fucking good.

can't wait for the new Sinistro and the new Woman is the Earth.

ok, so i just got vinyl copies of vektor's first two records as part of a pre-order bundle (figured i would be getting all three when terminal redux dropped, but i'll take it) and its so fucking good. black future has this really sick black and white splatter thing going in for it, and it sounds thrash af, and ugh. kinda tangential, but i had to gush somewhere, fuck dude.

to add anything of substance, the new fleshgod apocalypse was a pleasant surprise for me. generally that brand of symphonic death metal never really sits well w/me, and all the bells and whistles just sorta feel like fluff to distract from lack of 'real' substance, but they play it off pretty well here. i feel as though the record has a really noticeable a side / b side split with how they feed us the more developed tracks, but it was pretty decent overall.

still need to check out the panopticon dillio, sounds promising.

Listened to the new Gojira single and my hopes for their new album can best be described as "titanic"- they're at the bottom of the fucking ocean. The intro was weak and awkward, I suppose they were aiming for some kind of groove vibe but the execution was just piss poor. When the verse started I thought the song wouldn't turn out too bad, but then that trainwreck of a chorus started and left me wondering what the actual fuck happened. It's not just hard rock, but some kind of extremely poppy strain of it and it sounds bloody terrible. I mean I don't want to be the one to criticise a band for evolving, and everything I was hearing indicated that there would be change, but this is bloody ridiculous. Like I didn't mind the mixed vocals and even if their overall sound mellowed a bit I wouldn't like it but I could go along with it, but the infusion of a pop kinda vibe is just disgusting.

Sorry for ranting, but Gojira are one of my favourite bands and prior to this single I was really hyped and looking forward to the album, but now I'm just so disappointed. I mean, obviously the album isn't here yet so I should wait and judge it then, but still...

ded thread is ded :c

Meshuggah's one of my all time favs. Love their sinister mechanical sounds. I highly recc their guitarist's solo album, it's rich with jazz sounds, and personally I prefer Agren's style over Haake's

I srsly get into Jazz + Metal sounds in general, really, or just about anything that's good instrumentally or grooves real well

Here are two other phenomenal bands, both are prog metal

Animals As Leaders (prolly the most technical band I've heard so far. highly recc'd to anyone who likes Meshuggah for their polyrhythmic sound)

Scale The Summit

This next one is a solo artist who calls himself Plini. He's one of those musicians who really blurs the lines between genres with his sound

first two minutes of this album are the best i've heard of any album tbh

Cool stuff, that Plini EP was interesting

As a rule of thumb I rec Exivious to anyone who says they like Scale the Summit, so keeping with that trend:

Also think Gordian Knot would be up your alley, was a side project of Cynic's bassist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)