Metalheads United ;D

Sorry for the offensive statement, Sounded funny in my head. Anyways lamb of god (Which I think is thrash)Is probably my favorite thrash matal band. Followed closely by pantera though thats more groove then anything I like the mix. Gives it this uniqueness to it.
I don't like Lamb of God. I hate Pantera with a passion. They are the band that wrote the birth stone for nu metal and all the brocore genres, in my opinion. Vulgar Display of Power is the birth stone. Looking for immature whinny lyrics about how tough you are? Looking for a vocalist who is screaming and straining his voice, to the point he sounds like a fourth grade bully? Just listen to Phil on that album. For the most part, Darrell's riffs just consist of down-tuned chords. Sometimes palm muted for that extra "hardcore" effect. No disrespect to the memory of someone who seemed like a really nice guy, but the irritating riffs and aimless solos show a guy who needed more practice, and was no guitar god.

My unbiased opinion here, Pantera's Power Metal is their only album I can tolerate. It's the first album after their glam days, and the album before their groove era. Phil's vocals on here aren't bad at all. Had they kept making albums like this, I might enjoy them. Kinda funny how the band pretend this album doesn't exist.

Yeah, you love Between the Buried and Me. You don't take anything serious.
I just don't like straight-up thrash metal, it's not interesting to me at all, I like some elements of it but no way could I listen to a whole song by like... any thrash metal band. Just my opinion though, enjoy your Metallica/Megadeath/Whatever the fuck.

As for Pantera, I've actually never heard a single song by them I think... don't really want to...

And hey, I like BTBAM and I think they're brilliant, the way they execute some of the transitions that they do is just amaaazing. But I honestly don't listen to them for long because I can't take that stuff on a large scale.

@CK: Hey thanks for the shout-out buddy! <3

BTBAM is decent but they are seriously the single most overrated metal band in the history of metal. That said, Swim to the Moon is one of my favorite songs in the past year or so.

pookar

Banned deucer.
top four thrash bands huh

1. Megadeth
2. Nevermore
3. metallica (first 4 albums)
4. probably anthrax or overkill

i admit not too much thrash in my library besides 5 nevermore albums and megadeth's discography, but theres a few bands ive been hearing praise from that are thrash that i might check out sometime.

top four thrash bands huh

1. Megadeth
2. Nevermore
3. metallica (first 4 albums)
4. probably anthrax or overkill

i admit not too much thrash in my library besides 5 nevermore albums and megadeth's discography, but theres a few bands ive been hearing praise from that are thrash that i might check out sometime.
Anthrax:
Fistful of Metal
Spreading the Disease
Among the Livinf

Coroner:
R.I.P.
Punishment for Decadence
No More Color
Mental Vortex

Dark Angel:
We Have Arrived
Darkness Descends
Leave Scars

Metal Church: (they were around before thrash was really defined fully so its not a real distinct thrash sound.)
Metal Church
The Dark
Blessing in Disguise

Overkill:
Feel the Fire
Taking Over
Under the Influence
The Years of Decay
Horrorscope

(
Optional after you have heard those first five)
W.F.O.
Necroshine
Bloodletting
Killbox 13
Ironbound

Slayer: (I'm not the biggest Slayer fan)
Show No Mercy
Haunting the Chapel
Hell Awaits

I'm not a big thrash metal fan, so my top 4 is probably most of the thrash bands I listen to. I just feel like a lot of it starts to sound the same after a while, so when I get past the big name bands, everything else is boring.

Metallica and Megadeth are at the top here, they just seem to have something more. I don't think I really need to explain myself, because most of y'all know what I'm talking about.

White Zombie and Pantera, I kind of group them together, because those are the bands that I call thrash, but I've heard some people call groove metal (I don't know what that means).
Metal Gods said:
I hate Pantera with a passion. They are the band that wrote the birth stone for nu metal and all the brocore genres, in my opinion. Vulgar Display of Power is the birth stone. Looking for immature whinny lyrics about how tough you are? Looking for a vocalist who is screaming and straining his voice, to the point he sounds like a fourth grade bully? Just listen to Phil on that album. For the most part, Darrell's riffs just consist of down-tuned chords. Sometimes palm muted for that extra "hardcore" effect. No disrespect to the memory of someone who seemed like a really nice guy, but the irritating riffs and aimless solos show a guy who needed more practice, and was no guitar god.

My unbiased opinion here, Pantera's Power Metal is their only album I can tolerate. It's the first album after their glam days, and the album before their groove era. Phil's vocals on here aren't bad at all. Had they kept making albums like this, I might enjoy them. Kinda funny how the band pretend this album doesn't exist.
I see where you're coming from here, but actually I don't mind nu metal at all. I don't really love it, but some of the bands and some of the songs I can really get behind (of course, I don't go overboard because there are some nu metal bands that are complete shit. But there are shitty thrash bands too). Pantera's Power Metal, thankfully, isn't glam metal or power metal, so it doesn't really offend me, but it bores me to death. It's nothing new, just second rate thrash metal that wouldn't have been discovered if they hadn't changed it up on their next album.

The only other thrash band I listen to is Early Man.

edit: oh shit metal church haha! I forgot about them, Metal Church slays.

speaking of things that slay, slayer is not a very good band. Their early album is listenable, but their most well known album is just too fast, I guess they wanted to push it to see how fast metal could be made? Anyway, maybe y'all's brains work faster than mine, but I can't understand what they are playing or process any of it because it's just too fast. At least their first album is maybe 15% slower, but I can actually feel the grooves rather than just let myself be assaulted by it.

speaking of things that slay, slayer is not a very good band. Their early album is listenable, but their most well known album is just too fast, I guess they wanted to push it to see how fast metal could be made? Anyway, maybe y'all's brains work faster than mine, but I can't understand what they are playing or process any of it because it's just too fast. At least their first album is maybe 15% slower, but I can actually feel the grooves rather than just let myself be assaulted by it.
Yeah, I'll listen to Show No Mercy, the Haunting the Chapel EP, and Hell Awaits. Reign in Blood is an important album as I stated earlier. But all the songs on that album really sound *too* similar. Not to mention all of Kerry King's solos sound the same. I always thought Jeff Hanneman was the better guitarist of the two. Dave Lombardo would be my favorite member of the band. Slayer aren't really a *bad* band (Well their material pre-1990 anyway.), however I just don't get why so many people love them. For dark and fast thrash metal, I'd just go put in and play Dark Angel or Kreator.

Edit: Note - I believe Slayer, Metallica, and Cannibal Corpse are the most overrated bands in metal.

Edit: Note - I believe Slayer, Metallica, and Cannibal Corpse are the most overrated bands in metal.
1. only if you count btbam as core
2. the first 2 metallica albums are objectively great
3. I can't really comment on Slayer because I've only really listened to Reign in Blood, but that is one of my favorite metal albums ever. The stuff I've heard from their other albums is pretty generic though so I'll give you that.
4. No comment on CC

1. only if you count btbam as core
2. the first 2 metallica albums are objectively great
3. I can't really comment on Slayer because I've only really listened to Reign in Blood, but that is one of my favorite metal albums ever. The stuff I've heard from their other albums is pretty generic though so I'll give you that.
4. No comment on CC
01. Yeah I count them as core

02. Yes their first two albums are great. Their later two are are good, but I won't go out of my way to replay them. Everything after ...And Justice for All is bad. It may be just me, but a lot of Metallica fans, who are still listening to albums after their first four, overrate them to hell. Really, how are Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger any good? I thought Death Magnetic was pretty bad too. I mean just one example in the lyrics of "The Day That Never Comes". Lyric wise, what the hell? Love is a four letter word? Am I sure I am not listening to Fall Out Boy or Bullet for My Valentine lyrics?

03. ?

04. Profit!

Yeah, I'll listen to Show No Mercy, the Haunting the Chapel EP, and Hell Awaits. Reign in Blood is an important album as I stated earlier. But all the songs on that album really sound *too* similar. Not to mention all of Kerry King's solos sound the same. I always thought Jeff Hanneman was the better guitarist of the two. Dave Lombardo would be my favorite member of the band. Slayer aren't really a *bad* band (Well their material pre-1990 anyway.), however I just don't get why so many people love them. For dark and fast thrash metal, I'd just go put in and play Dark Angel or Kreator.
I was just wondering aloud why it was such an important album. Because it stretched the bounds of how fast metal could be..? You've pretty much highlighted why this 'important' album isn't really a great album, and so I wonder again, how can it be such an important album?
I generally agree, except on Metallica. I'll give you that they are overrated, but honestly they are deserving of a fairly high rating, it's just that they a lot of people put them a bit too high. So they are overrated, but I wouldn't say that they're the most overrated band (or one of). I'd have to also say that Iron Maiden is incredibly overrated as well, because they're just.. so generic. Maybe it just seems that way because everyone and their mother is copying them, and it isn't their fault that they're generic, but they can't hold my attention very well. For about the first thirty seconds of a song I always think "yeah this is great" and then for the next 3 minutes or so I just tune out and wait for the next song to come on. I have no idea why anyone would want to copy them, but their influence is clearly great and widespread. And therefore, I call them overrated.

I was just wondering aloud why it was such an important album. Because it stretched the bounds of how fast metal could be..? You've pretty much highlighted why this 'important' album isn't really a great album, and so I wonder again, how can it be such an important album?
Along with albums like Possessed's Seven Churches and Death's Scream Bloody Gore, it influenced a lot of death metal. Disagree with me on this, but I believe Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness is the most important (biggest for sure, if not important) influence on death metal.

I'd have to also say that Iron Maiden is incredibly overrated as well, because they're just.. so generic. Maybe it just seems that way because everyone and their mother is copying them, and it isn't their fault that they're generic, but they can't hold my attention very well. For about the first thirty seconds of a song I always think "yeah this is great" and then for the next 3 minutes or so I just tune out and wait for the next song to come on. I have no idea why anyone would want to copy them, but their influence is clearly great and widespread. And therefore, I call them overrated.
I love the Paul Di'Anno Iron Maiden albums the best. Raw and punkish feel to them. Killers is my favorite Iron Maiden album, and favorite Iron Maiden song. I love all the Iron Maiden albums from 1980 to 1988. The only albums I can say that I feel are truly awful are No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark, and Virtual XI. Save a few songs. Although, I'd be lying if I would be up for replaying Dance of Death or A Matter of Life and Death. I'm more of a Judas Priest guy to be honest. :p

If they were the most overrated band in history, then Metallica would not be properly rated http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/metallica it is pointless to argue "most overrated", since say Black Sabbath could be the most highly overrated for being given the most extreme critical credit and Iron Man being played all the time everywhere et cetera (although it is a better song and probably about equally played as Enter Sandman...)

DragonForce became much more popular than Between the Buried and Me, as far as I could tell.

Maidens first album is a tour de force of energy, whether you like it or not (one of my few 5/5 albums). On the other hand, some of the other early albums are highly polished and lovely. Hallowed Be Thy Name is an amazing song, I do not see what the hell you are calling generic about that...In general the "galloping" style of Maiden is something that has rarely been copied successfully, since some pretty good guitar and vocals were involved!

Killers is trash. Terrible production, weak songwriting. rateyourmusic has it and Somewhere in Time as the only <3.9 albums through Seventh Son, and they are spot on in this case. Somewhere in Time is a bigger disaster actually (bands never know if something is a disaster until they try it...the synth guitar shit was a disaster), but gets a boost from people liking the Dickinson era Maiden better than Di'Anno I guess.

Top four thrash bands:

1. Nevermore (though I consider them more prog than thrash I suppose their pre-Dreaming Neon Black albums count)
2. Dark Angel
3. Coroner
4. Exodus

Also, as much as I like thrash I don't get why everyone is so angry at Deschain.

pookar

Banned deucer.
lol metal gods i already have Feel the Fire and Among the Living. I know what albums i would get next if i wanted any, but i have a lot of DL'd music that i haven't listened to yet.

Metallica is extremely overrated, but i wouldn't say most. They produced 3-4 quality albums and then a bunch of average-poor albums. I don't know many bands at all that stay consistently good for 30 years, and you cannot discredit those four albums. RTL and KEA are just crazy albums.

Iron Maiden has made twice as many quality albums as Metallica and has "survived" better in their later days. Im not saying DoD/BNW etc. are great albums, but they aren't the worst and although a bit generic there are a few gems in those few albums. The first 7 Maiden albums are extremely consistent and while their stuff in the middle is weak because of experimentation and missing band members, they are not really overrated. Definitely not as overrated as Metallica.

"most overrated" is a tough term. obv you see the casual people say metallica/im are the best metal bands ever and only listen to a few of their songs, but there are people out there who will say the same exact thing about Slipknot. Or BMFV. You know where im going with this, there are plenty of worse bands that are incredibly overrated by some communities. And in some communities, Metallica/IM are underrated as shit. so whatever

DragonForce became much more popular than Between the Buried and Me, as far as I could tell.
I would agree, but just because they were popular doesn't mean that everyone thought they were the best band in the world, which is what I've seen many times in regards to BTBAM.

s'all im sayin

I don't like Lamb of God. I hate Pantera with a passion. They are the band that wrote the birth stone for nu metal and all the brocore genres, in my opinion. Vulgar Display of Power is the birth stone. Looking for immature whinny lyrics about how tough you are? Looking for a vocalist who is screaming and straining his voice, to the point he sounds like a fourth grade bully? Just listen to Phil on that album. For the most part, Darrell's riffs just consist of down-tuned chords. Sometimes palm muted for that extra "hardcore" effect. No disrespect to the memory of someone who seemed like a really nice guy, but the irritating riffs and aimless solos show a guy who needed more practice, and was no guitar god.

Yeah alot of people hate pantera. But once they were popular and im not a fan of nu metal either but alot of people like it and I mean ALOT. I really like system of a down though. Listen to there lyrics, Keeps me on the floor laughing for hours.

Lamb of god is pretty damn heavy, I read an interview of them and that got me interested enough. The only two albums I really like of theres is ashes of the wake and sacrement. They are threatning to release an album next year (2011)cant wait...

What Iron Maiden albums would you recommend me to get???
Number of the Beast is considered one of their best albums so it would be a good choice. Then there is Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son which are also pretty good and contain many quality songs. Finally Brave New World is also pretty good (Ghost of the Navigator ftw)

Iron Maiden:
Iron Maiden (1980)
Killers (1981)
The Number of the Beast (1982)
Piece of Mind (1983)
Powerslave (1984)
Somewhere in Time (1986)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

^
Those are the essentials for studio albums

(Optional After Having those)

The X Factor (1995)
Brave New World (2000)
Dance of Death (2003)
A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

As far as individual songs go, get the live version of "Fear of the Dark", from Iron Maiden's A Real Live One / A Real Live Dead One.

Edit:
Yeah alot of people hate pantera. But once they were popular and im not a fan of nu metal either but alot of people like it and I mean ALOT. I really like system of a down though. Listen to there lyrics, Keeps me on the floor laughing for hours.

Lamb of god is pretty damn heavy, I read an interview of them and that got me interested enough. The only two albums I really like of theres is ashes of the wake and sacrement. They are threatning to release an album next year (2011)cant wait...
System of a Down's lyrics don't make me laugh, I'm sorry. A couple of times I've laughed during some metal songs, would be S.O.D.'s Speak English or Die.

Lamb of God, doesn't interest me. You want heavy? I'm not the biggest Deicide fan, however their first two albums alone, crushes Lamb of God's discography.

Maidens first album is a tour de force of energy, whether you like it or not (one of my few 5/5 albums). On the other hand, some of the other early albums are highly polished and lovely. Hallowed Be Thy Name is an amazing song, I do not see what the hell you are calling generic about that...In general the "galloping" style of Maiden is something that has rarely been copied successfully, since some pretty good guitar and vocals were involved!
Hallowed be thy Name is a good song, and probably my favorite song that Maiden does, and yet I still get bored during it. Not a single part of the band is exciting to me. The galloping basslines which everyone loves aren't interesting to me as an aspiring bass player, because they aren't fun to play along with. The guitars and vocals may be "pretty good", but they aren't anything to get excited about. When it all comes together, they might have some pretty cool songs, but when I start listening to them, I start to feel bored. Maybe they're better live..

Hallowed be thy Name is a good song, and probably my favorite song that Maiden does, and yet I still get bored during it. Not a single part of the band is exciting to me. The galloping basslines which everyone loves aren't interesting to me as an aspiring bass player, because they aren't fun to play along with. The guitars and vocals may be "pretty good", but they aren't anything to get excited about. When it all comes together, they might have some pretty cool songs, but when I start listening to them, I start to feel bored. Maybe they're better live..
Iron Maiden are one of the best live bands.

Absolutely nothing after Seventh Son. Even then, Killers, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and Somewhere in Time are not essential. Seventh Son has all good songs, but the least talented song playing of any of the early albums. Somewhere in Time was an attempt to do something different that failed badly. Killers was ruined by bad production/drugs I guess.

So Iron Maiden/Powerslave/Number of the Beast/Piece of Mind are all I recommend.

Do not touch anything except the song Fear of the Dark after their Seventh Son album, you will be wasting your time. All they do with their Dance of Death onward albums is do what they already did in the past worse. It is a fucking disgrace.

Also, as much as I like thrash I don't get why everyone is so angry at Deschain.
For needlessly being a complete dick? For making an untrue mass dismissal?

If you dislike any band with that strong a studio presence, then anything they did live is not going to change your mind...the guitar and vocals are absolutely special, you are just missing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)