move 4:Rest
ability:Clear Body
item:Eviolite
evs:252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
nature:Impish

Moves
========
  • Bullet Punch for some solid STAB Priority
  • Stealth Rocks because its one of the best moves in the game. hazards on any team are always helpful
  • Zen Headbut for STAB coverage. Hits decently hard and can mess up Throh and Poliwrath.
  • Or, Toxic can be used to whittle down tough opponents and force switches.
  • Meteor Mash is 90 damage and 90% accuracy with 20% attack boost. Iron head is 80 damage and 100% accurate. The flinch wont happen much because Metang is very slow.
Set Details
========
  • EVs are in place to maximize Metang's physical bulk and allow it to take hits with its good defensive Steel Typing.
  • Eviolite is there to boost both physical and special Def. 80 Special defense isn't terrible. I
  • mpish Nature to Boost Defense further while lowering an obsolete stat like Special Attack.
  • Clear Body is used just because it has a better use to protect from Intimidate. Light Metal had no use for this set at all.
Usage Tips
========
  • Because Metang's Attack stat isn't amazing (75) don't use this Metang as a bulky attacker.
  • This Metang is supposed to take Physical attacks (mainly Normal and Flying spam).
  • be careful of Earthquake. Metang, although floating, does not get Levitate and will get crushed by Ground attacks.
  • Metang is best used towards the beginning of the game to get up your rocks safely.
  • Then, use Metang to check physical threats, but knowing that you cannot retaliate that much, predict your opponents switch and switch directly into a threat of your own.
  • You need to read your opponent well to use Metang well.
  • Metang specifically excels towards the end of the match, where it can pick off low opponents with a Bullet Punch or stall out opponents with Toxic.
  • Be wary of Knock Off users and Earthquake.

Team Options
========
  • With no form of recovery, Metang appreciates Wish support from Pokemon like Flareon and Lickylicky, although Flareon shares a nasty ground weakness and both lickylicky and Metang dont appreciate fighting moves.
  • One good partner for Metang is Pelliper, who resists Fire and is immune to Ground.
  • Fighting types that can take Knock Offs for days like Throh or Poliwrath are considerable.
Other Options
########
  • Rest can be run instead of Bullet Punch for recovery
  • Grass Knot can be used to eliminate pesky ground and rock types that switch in.
  • Zen headbutt can be used for dual STAB coverage
Checks & Counters
########
  • Sneasel is a threat with STAB Knock Off
  • Golem, who can EQ or Sucker Punch for big damage
  • Camerupt, who can EQ or Lava Plume

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just giving you a heads up that you want to have everything in bullet point form until the second QC check. So you need to change Set Details, Usage Tips, and Team Options, to bullet points.

y0. not qc, but i felt inspired to post, so take what i say with a pinch of salt, ayte? appreciate it big dog

i'm not a very big fan of the current set, for a few reasons. actually, the first one that hit me was that the move is "stealth rock", but i'll leave that well enough alone for now. bullet punch is super weak, and something i wouldn't even put as an option tbh, let alone in the first slot. personally, i've found metang to be more of a niche 'mon for stall builds, rather than something to just throw on a team in need of an sr user, and on that merit, i've felt a more 'specialized' set to be the most proficient:

name: Defensive Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Rest / Grass Knot
evs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
nature:Impish / Relaxed

being able to catch the fire-type or w/e on the switch is a luxury that i never felt metang could capably afford, and honestly, without support kind of [healing] wish support, having the aforementioned fire-type switch into sr + a mash / tox is usually enough to stricken its lifespan to 1-2 more switch-ins max. tox is generally a good move for metang, since it allows it to more actively play a defensive role post-sr setup, and isn't really something i feel can be given up. rest somewhat remedies issues with limited survivability, since it's much easier to afford it a heal bell / aromatherapy user somewhere in the back, rather than having to constantly pass it wishes to keep it healthy. this also gives it a decent solid chance of soloing cm, mono-attacking mush, whose +6 psychic maxes out at ~30%, while it can go into tox-rest cycles whilst also fishing for a mash atk boost with moderate safety. gk is, again, rather niche, but as with the nature of this 'mon, i find it usable. with 16 spa evs and a relaxed nature, this is guaranteed to ohko both carracosta and barbarcle after smash drops and sr damage, while almost assuredly surviving any +2 hit after sr in turn (adamant, +2 w/life orb has a 6.3% chance to ko from barbaracle, and an 18.8% chance from carracosta). of course, given how cohesively a core of metang + poliwrath synergizes, i wouldn't say this is the most necessary tech, but given how threatening such pokemon can be when given leg room, i have to say that it does expand nicely upon metang's niche.

just something i thought i'd throw out for consideration, since metang is kind of a weird 'mon to work with.

Just giving you a heads up that you want to have everything in bullet point form until the second QC check. So you need to change Set Details, Usage Tips, and Team Options, to bullet points.
Thanks man! I'm new to this, so some of the little things like that I will miss

y0. not qc, but i felt inspired to post, so take what i say with a pinch of salt, ayte? appreciate it big dog

i'm not a very big fan of the current set, for a few reasons. actually, the first one that hit me was that the move is "stealth rock", but i'll leave that well enough alone for now. bullet punch is super weak, and something i wouldn't even put as an option tbh, let alone in the first slot. personally, i've found metang to be more of a niche 'mon for stall builds, rather than something to just throw on a team in need of an sr user, and on that merit, i've felt a more 'specialized' set to be the most proficient:

name: Defensive Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Rest / Grass Knot
evs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
nature:Impish / Relaxed

being able to catch the fire-type or w/e on the switch is a luxury that i never felt metang could capably afford, and honestly, without support kind of [healing] wish support, having the aforementioned fire-type switch into sr + a mash / tox is usually enough to stricken its lifespan to 1-2 more switch-ins max. tox is generally a good move for metang, since it allows it to more actively play a defensive role post-sr setup, and isn't really something i feel can be given up. rest somewhat remedies issues with limited survivability, since it's much easier to afford it a heal bell / aromatherapy user somewhere in the back, rather than having to constantly pass it wishes to keep it healthy. this also gives it a decent solid chance of soloing cm, mono-attacking mush, whose +6 psychic maxes out at ~30%, while it can go into tox-rest cycles whilst also fishing for a mash atk boost with moderate safety. gk is, again, rather niche, but as with the nature of this 'mon, i find it usable. with 16 spa evs and a relaxed nature, this is guaranteed to ohko both carracosta and barbarcle after smash drops and sr damage, while almost assuredly surviving any +2 hit after sr in turn (adamant, +2 w/life orb has a 6.3% chance to ko from barbaracle, and an 18.8% chance from carracosta). of course, given how cohesively a core of metang + poliwrath synergizes, i wouldn't say this is the most necessary tech, but given how threatening such pokemon can be when given leg room, i have to say that it does expand nicely upon metang's niche.

just something i thought i'd throw out for consideration, since metang is kind of a weird 'mon to work with.
I really appreciate your input man. While Grass Knot is good, it is very situational and , to me, shouldn't be suggested for a standard set. but I think Toxic and Rest are a must. Thanks a ton dude

I'd say that col49 's set is the way to go with Metang. Grass Knot is probably best slashed after rest or in moves but that set is what metang can do best in stall teams atm in my opinion. ThunderBirdJack

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

I've been using this on offense and I think it deserves a set because Metang is the only Steel-type that sorta fits on offensive teams, and it checks quite a lot of stuff. The Attack EVs prevent Sub Bouff from setting up on it (Metang doesn't beat Bouff, but it can at least prevent a free sub). This Metang is pretty decent because it hits decently hard with Meteor Mash and checks a lot of Pokemon, even if it can't do so throughout the game I've found it to be enough. Give it a whirl and tag me when you're done with testing ThunderBirdJack

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Klang requires more support and doesn't get SR 8)

make that Metang is the only supporting Steel-type that fits on offense

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry ThunderBirdJack but this hasn't been worked on since October. While that wouldn't make me reassign this, I have to say that the quality of this analysis is also pretty poor (incorrect formatting, questionable knowledge of Metang, bad set). Why don't you try again after getting a little more experience in the PU metagame? In the meantime, I'm going to lock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)