ORAS OU METEOR MASH

Should I swap Sylveon for Unaware Clefable?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Since I first saw Megagross, I've been eagerly waiting to build a good team around him. The name of the team is Meteor Mash, because it revolves around Hydreigon and Metagross, who make a good core, and both monsters carry a meteor attack (Draco Meteor and Meteor Mash)... Anyways this team has a good core, but I really need help in some areas, because my Hydreigon set in particular is.... eccentric due to my team's needs.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

I chose Megagross cause of his buffed stats, great move pool and because I wanted to use him. Bullet Punch for priority, Earthquake for coverage, Meteor Mash hits like a truck to anything that doesn't resist it and it has a greatly welcomed 20% chance of an attack boost. Zen Headbutt for STAB. Clear Body on regular Metagross to prevent intimidates and sticky webs.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

The job of this monster is to revenge kill or to hit extremely hard and then switch out. Scarfed because I have found it the most useful due to the very speedy metagame. (Also Greninja) Draco Meteor obliterates everything that isn't a Fairy, a Steel type or Chansey. Dark Pulse for a 100% accuracy STAB that kills weakened pokemon and hits psychic types like Jirachi. Now, the next two moves are extremely weird for a scarf set but for my team they were necessary. My team once got shut down by an stockpiling Quagsire and I realized I needed someone with Toxic to prevent something like that to happen to me again. The only Pokemon I could afford to sacrifice an attack for Toxic was Hydreigon. I am forced to switch out quickly which is a problem so I'm asking for solutions to this problem, should I use an all attacking set with coverage moves? If I were to use a Modest Nature, would I have enough speed to outspeed Greninja? Is there another pokemon I could swap in my team to do this job? I really need someone who can prevent me being walled by things like slowbro and quagsire, and he's the only pokemon on my team I could afford to use toxic/taunt on.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 4 SpA / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

This cutiepie is my team's cleric. She can Wish pass, and cure teammates from status ailments. Pixilate Hyper Voice hits like a meteor too OHKOing pokemon like Latios and pesky Sableyes. She was specially defensive, but psyshock hit her hard, so the EVs in defense are to prevent a 2HKO from a Latios psyshock. The rest of the EVs are to maximize bulk, but place 4 EVs on SpA to have a greater chance OHKO Mega Altaria with Hyper Voice.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hydreigon, Metagross and Sylveon get walled by most steel types so I have a steel type of my own to help. SpecsZone's hidden power fire kills ferrothorn, scizor and Jirachi. Maximum EVs in Sp Attack for power and 220 speed EVs are enough to outspeed regular Scizor and prevent him from U-turning to safety or retaliate with Superpower. Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt are powerful STAB attacks and Volt Switch for momentum on a predicted switch. (that isn't steel of course) Should I run Substitute to capitalize when trapping a Ferrothorn?

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Standard defensive Lando-T, helps me deal with physical threats like Talonflame. Moveset is pretty straightforward, U-turn for momentum, Knock Off for crippling pokemons and Earthquake for a powerful STAB. The fact that he is a Flying type lets me switch in on predicted Earthquakes that is a problem for my steel types.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

This monster completes my core, deals with Greninja and can tank special hits while hitting with priority, coverage, or a life restoring attack. He also gets a boost from statuses with Guts. The EV spread maximizes attack and bulkiness. The moveset is also pretty straightforward, Drain Punch for powerful STAB while restoring HP, Mach Punch for important priority, Knock Off to cripple switches. Ice Punch to deal with Gliscor and hit Landorus hard even with an attack downgrade from Intimidate.

So here it is, tips and your analysis are greatly needed (especially on Hydreigon and Sylveon) as I feel this team has good potential. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
I'd suggest replacing Magnezone with Toxic-Taunt Heatran, so you can use Hydreigon more freely.
Or maybe even replacing Hydreigon completely. He is not seen much in OU. I'm thinking maybe Latios with trick and scarf

I'd suggest replacing Magnezone with Toxic-Taunt Heatran, so you can use Hydreigon more freely.
Or maybe even replacing Hydreigon completely. He is not seen much in OU. I'm thinking maybe Latios with trick and scarf
I like Magnezone too much to replace him. But i'm using Latios now instead of Hydreigon to est him and see if i can make the change final.

This team gets terribly walled by Mega Crobro... I was 5-2 up and I couldn't do a thing to that derpy fucker. Can someone recommend me a set for Megagross to address this problem? Should I use another nature if i run Grass Knot? Should I run Thunderpunch? HELP

Hey man! I like the idea behind the team, but please let me suggest you a few changes.
Basically, there are some minor changes you have to apply, and some others big changes I would take into consideration.
First of all you need to change those Mega Metagross EVs. Keldeo is a huge problem for your team, as the specs version just comes in and nuke something with Hydro Pump. Running a max speed with a positive nature you easily outspeed Keldeo and speed tie with the not hp-fire version of the Latiis. I don't feel like Grass Knot is needed, as you can deal with Slowbro thanks to Hydreigon and Magnezone. The last moveslot is up to you. If you feel like Landorus-T is a huge problem, feel free to forego your priority move for Ice Punch.

Metagross (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Another problem is bird spam. Mega Pinsir and Talonflame really hurts you. Landorus-T can resists some attacks, but without Stone Edge it just can't do anything back to them. That's why I am suggesting you to swap Knock Off for Stone Edge. Running 12 Speed EVs even helps you for those few who run 48 speed EVs on Rotom-W.

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Remember to put zero EVs on Sylveon's attack.

Here come the big changes. It's just my opinion, but you should really take into considerations these two possible changes. The Hydreigon set really has no real sense. Toxic and Taunt on a scarf mon completely ruins your momentum, reason why I suggest you to use a Life Orb Hydreigon as a partner in crime for your Mega Metagross. I even suggest you using Scarf Magneton over Specs Magnezone. Due to the life orb on Hydreigon, you still have a mon able to break opposing walls, and with Scarf Magneton you outspeed Greninja who otherwise has a lot of fun against your team. Hydreigon carries Fire Blast to help you against Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, as Magneton has less sheer power than Magnezone. With the 232 EVs speed you outpace the rare Jolly 252 Kyurem-B, and you are basically sure to be faster than any not-boosted Mega Charizard X (no one runs 252 jolly Zard). The Magneton speed EVs set lets you outspeed everything relevant with less speed than Jolteon.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Taunt / Toxic / Whatever

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

As soon as I realize how to use the "spoiler command" or something, I will fix my post.
Hopefully I helped you mate!

Last edited:
Hey man! I like the idea behind the team, but please let me suggest you a few changes.
Basically, there are some minor changes you have to apply, and some others big changes I would take into consideration.
First of all you need to change those Mega Metagross EVs. Keldeo is a huge problem for your team, as the specs version just comes in and nuke something with Hydro Pump. Running a max speed with a positive nature you easily outspeed Keldeo and speed tie with the not hp-fire version of the Latiis. I don't feel like Grass Knot is needed, as you can deal with Slowbro thanks to Hydreigon and Magnezone. The last moveslot is up to you. If you feel like Landorus-T is a huge problem, feel free to forego your priority move for Ice Punch.

Metagross (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Another problem is bird spam. Mega Pinsir and Talonflame really hurts you. Landorus-T can resists some attacks, but without Stone Edge it just can't do anything back to them. That's why I am suggesting you to swap Knock Off for Stone Edge. Running 12 Speed EVs even helps you for those few who run 48 speed EVs on Rotom-W.

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Remember to put zero EVs on Sylveon's attack.

Here come the big changes. It's just my opinion, but you should really take into considerations these two possible changes. The Hydreigon set really has no real sense. Toxic and Taunt on a scarf mon completely ruins your momentum, reason why I suggest you to use a Life Orb Hydreigon as a partner in crime for your Mega Metagross. I even suggest you using Scarf Magneton over Specs Magnezone. Due to the life orb on Hydreigon, you still have a mon able to break opposing walls, and with Scarf Magneton you outspeed Greninja who otherwise has a lot of fun against your team. Hydreigon carries Fire Blast to help you against Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, as Magneton has less sheer power than Magnezone. With the 232 EVs speed you outpace the rare Jolly 252 Kyurem-B, and you are basically sure to be faster than any not-boosted Mega Charizard X (no one runs 252 jolly Zard). The Magneton speed EVs set lets you outspeed everything relevant with less speed than Jolteon.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Taunt / Toxic / Whatever

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

As soon as I realize how to use the "spoiler command" or something, I will fix my post.
Hopefully I helped you mate!
Thanks for your time! I made the changes on Metagross and Landorus as you are right. As for the Hydreigon set, I knew it was plain stupid but I really needed someone capable of Toxic to prevent being walled by things like Slowbro and Quagsire, but I also needed the surprising speed that Scarfdreigon provides. I'll take out Taunt for another attack but I don't know if I'll make him hold Life Orb because I really need him to outspeed a lot of mons and revenge kill. The Magneton set is to take care of Greninja, but as he's being suspected, should I keep my Magnezone then? Also I have a question: why does Magnezone need 30 SpA and Spe IVs?

Thanks for your time! I made the changes on Metagross and Landorus as you are right. As for the Hydreigon set, I knew it was plain stupid but I really needed someone capable of Toxic to prevent being walled by things like Slowbro and Quagsire, but I also needed the surprising speed that Scarfdreigon provides. I'll take out Taunt for another attack but I don't know if I'll make him hold Life Orb because I really need him to outspeed a lot of mons and revenge kill. The Magneton set is to take care of Greninja, but as he's being suspected, should I keep my Magnezone then? Also I have a question: why does Magnezone need 30 SpA and Spe IVs?
No problem mate, I'm here to help. With a Scarf Magneton you definitely won't be able to outspeed Beedrill, M-Lopunny, and other fast stuff, which is why this choice is really up to you. Just remember a LO Hydreigon will help you wallbreak more easily, and Mega Slowbro will not be a problem anymore. So the point is, are those fast mons (base speed>130) really a problem for you? I don't think so. Which is why you can afford to run Magneton. As soon as Greninja get banned (it will), you can switch the Magneton to Magnezone. Remember, use Magneton only if you decide to run the scarf variant. The 0 Atk, 30 SpA and 30 Spe EVs are needed to use HP Fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)