Mew - QC [0/3]

[OVERVIEW]

+ Has 100/100/100/100/100/100 stats, which are even all around.
+ Has the most possible move options of any Pokemon in the game, bar Smeargle.
+ Can Transform into any Pokemon and copy its offenses, defenses, and its supportive moves.
- Usually lacks an offensive move and instead relies on Transforming into other Pokemon to deal damage.
- Has difficulties with strong, fast Pokemon dealing high amounts of damage to it.
- Can be seen as Taunt-bait due to it lacking attacking moves on most of its sets.

[SET]
name: Transform Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Will-o-wisp / Tailwind
move 3: Transform
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
ability: Synchronize
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Meant to support a partner attempting to set up and hit hard.
  • Fake Out gives your partner more freedom to set up by stopping an opponent from moving altogether, and can help stop the setting of Tailwind or Trick Room by the opponent.
  • Mew can carry Will-o-wisp to burn Mega Kangaskhan or Landorus-T which may otherwise threaten your partner, while Tailwind allows the partner you are supporting to move earlier than some things that it may not like.
  • Transform is a good move to copy the stats, boosts, typing, and moves of your partner, or possibly copy the stats, boosts, typing, and moves of your opponent.
  • Protect is a good move for stalling out certain field conditions such as Trick Room, Tailwind, or Sun, as well as scouting for moves such as Fake Out.

Set Details
========

• Speed allow Mew to Fake Out before a mega evolving Jolly or Adamant Mega Kangaskhan and an already mega evolved Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, while also speed tying with already mega evolved Jolly Mega Kangaskhan.
  • The rest of the EVs are in HP to maximize Mew's bulk.

Usage Tips
========

• Biggest concern is letting your partner set up. Fake Out should be used to target other Fake Out users, as well as Trick Room or Tailwind setters. If the partner you are supporting is having speed issues, Mew can Tailwind as your partner Protects, so long as Mew is running it. If Mew runs Will-o-wisp instead, that can be used to reduce the amount of damage things like Mega Kangaskhan or Landorus-T do to your partner.
  • Mew can use Transform to copy everything your partner has, once its partner is already set up and there is no purpose in keeping Mew.
  • If there is no reason to copy your partner, you can copy an opponent and utilize an opponent's asset such as Intimidate, Follow Me, or Helping Hand. If there aren't any useful things to copy, Mew can simply switch out.

Team Options
========

• Azumarill can set up Belly Drum against a wide array of Pokemon, and Fake Out from Mew is very appreciated.
  • Mega Kangaskhan can set up a Power-up Punch after Mew uses Fake Out, which is very useful for Mega Kangaskhan as it can potentially OHKO anything in the meta game, bar Ghost types.
  • Mega Diancie beats Thundurus, which could otherwise Taunt Mew and make it useless. Mega Diancie also switches into Taunts, making it even better to help Mew.
  • A fast Taunt user such as Thundurus or the rare Whimsicott could help beat slower Taunt users that could potentially Taunt Mew, but Mew is meant to support something setting up; a difficult task for it to do while Thundurus or Whimsicott is out.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Stealth Rock can work to catch things such as Mega Charizard Y or Talonflame, which your partner may not necessarily like.
  • Super Fang can catch some opponents off guard and can assist things that don't pull their weight offensively in beating things that they can be seen as uncomfortable with.
  • Ice Beam is a quick catch to Landorus-T, and could work well if your team needs it.
  • Trick Room or other methods of speed control can be used to assist slower things in dealing with things that they don't like.
  • Helping Hand is a way to increase the amount of damage your partner deals, if ever necessary.
  • Heal Bell removes status conditions such as paralysis or burns that your teammates may not really like.
  • Safety Goggles can be used to have an immunity to Spore and ignore Amoonguss' Rage Powder when trying to Transform, but Sitrus Berry and Leftovers are good options for restoring health to Mew.

Checks and Counters
===================

• **Typing Advantage**: Mew is weak to dark types such as Bisharp and Hydreigon, as well as being weak to ghost type attacks from Mega Gengar and regular Gengar.
  • **Strong Attackers**: As Mew rarely runs other attacking moves, powerful attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Metagross can wear down a Mew quickly, dealing heavy amounts of damage to Mew in a single hit.
  • **Utility Moves**: Taunt and Encore can ruin a Mew, forcing it to switch out to something else as it could be carrying no attacking move, or could be locked into Tailwind or Fake Out. Good Taunt users against Mew are Thundurus, Gyarados, and Sableye, while some Pokemon that can Encore Mew are Whimsicott and Infernape, though both of these Encore users are niche and rarely used.
  • **Miscellaneous**: Mew's most common partners, Azumarill and Mega Kangaskhan, are threatened by Pokemon such as Sableye, Gengar, and Rotom-Wash because of Will-o-wisp. Thunder Wave users such as Thundurus, Gyarados, and the occasional Cresselia can cripple Mega Kangaskhan.

Things I'm Thinking About: including more or less options in Other Options, more Team Options, better Usage Tips.

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
idk about qc, but I've seen good players use life orb mew before

Also I think the usage tips needs to be expanded greatly: that's the biggest part of mew. Talking about transform targets (it's not always your post-setup partner, you can transform into a myriad of things such as amoonguss, landot ( for intimidate) opposing mons, etc) and pivoting the fake out is something I would probably do

Implemented the usage tips recommendations, but I'll wait to hear what other people think about Life Orb Mew before putting that in there.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't see a reason for Protect on Mew. So much better spent on counltess other support moves in Super Fang, Ally Switch, Tailwind, Icy Wind, Taunt, etc.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Don't include LO Mew as a main set; imo it's only Other Options-worthy at best and even then it's a stretch.

Also, I agree that you don't need Protect.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Protect is a valid move on Mew imo, for one thing I know Haruno always uses it (and he probably account for something like 90% of mew usage) and it definitely has utility, since mew can be a huge threat to lots of compositions or situations with its utility, leading to double targets

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
It looks like this WIP's almost done, what's the holdup? o,o

e: btw, follow the Checks and Counters tags found here!

Last edited:
Forgot about this analysis whoops @_@
Updated to the checks and counters thing, didn't know that existed also, I apologize

Ready for QC

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Long haul, brother.

Overview
  • "+ Has 100/100/100/100/100/100 stats, which are even all around." You basically mentioned something that can easily be seen by a simple glance at the dex. Instead of saying that, maybe say that it has good Speed while also possesing good bulk or w/e.
  • " Has the most possible move options of any Pokemon in the game, bar Smeargle." So what? Remove this as this isn't relevant at all and is basically trivia.
  • Say something about it also being able to support its team with moves like TWind or Will-o.
  • "Can Transform into any Pokemon and copy its offenses, defenses, and its supportive moves." I get what you're trying to say here, but so what if it can copy into any Pokemon? Reword this to something like "Mew can Transform into any Pokemon on the field, most especially boosted teammates such as a +6 Belly Drum Azumarill, which can provide you with multiple dangerous attackers" or w/e something like that.
  • The ability to Transform into things while being able to support is what makes Mew worth it in the first place, but outside of it it's horribly niche. Make sure to highlight this fact
  • Mention that it can be a momentum suck while non-Transformed. Merge this with the "Has difficulties with strong, fast Pokemon dealing high amounts of damage to it." bullet
  • It's not that it can be seen as Taunt-bait. It IS taunt-bait.
Set
  • Talked with Shay, slash Tailwind behind Protect too
Moves
  • "Meant to support a partner attempting to set up and hit hard." is more usage-tips material
  • "Fake Out gives your partner more freedom to set up or attack..." Fake Out does more than helping you set up, what it can give you freedom with is a case-by-case basis thing.
  • Just say Fakes "can delay the opponent from setting up"
  • Instead of saying Wisp can "burn Mega Kangaskhan or Landorus-T which may otherwise threaten your partner' say that "can burn physical attackers such as <examples>, making them easier to set up on. Or something.
  • The way you worded Tailwind is shitE. Just say that Tailwind lets its teammates outspeed and KO foes they safely couldn't otherwise.
  • Transform's definition could be better. Just say straight what it does: let it turn exactly into any Pokemon on the field, giving it presence on the field outside of being a supporter. Say that it can also copy stat-changes, letting it Transform into any boosted Pokemon on the field, especially its partner, stacking pressure on the opponent.
  • Also mention that Protect can help with positioning, you should know what I mean.
Set Details
  • Explain Sitrus and Lefties.
  • Your explanation for the Speed is too overly specific. Just say that it lets it outrun as much as it can with max Speed.
  • As there are no attacks in this set sans Fake Out (but realtalk that's not an attack in practice if its not Kang), you should mention why its Timid and not Jolly. Timid because less Foul Play and confusion damage; negligible, I know, but it's something.
  • Say that the HP EVs are also the only EVs that carry over post-Transform.
Usage Tips
  • This is too complicated, to be honest. Like, instead of "Fake Out should be used to target other Fake Out users, as well as Trick Room or Tailwind setters." you can just say "Fake Out lets Mew delay foes, hindering their plans while giving its teammates room to set up"
  • Instead of saying "your partner" or "the partner", say "teammates". Pokemon is not a 2v6 game.
  • Tailwind bullet and Wisp bullet should be in separate bullets.
  • "Mew can use Transform to copy everything your partner has, once its partner is already set up and there is no purpose in keeping Mew." rephrase this to something like "Once a teammate has already set up, such as <example>, it can Transform into them, giving you two threats" or w/e lol
  • Say that Transform goes through Protect. Protect + Transform play.
  • "If there is no reason to copy your partner, you can copy an opponent and utilize an opponent's asset such as Intimidate, Follow Me, or Helping Hand. If there aren't any useful things to copy, Mew can simply switch out." Honesty, you should remove that "If there is no reason..." part. There are other reasons to possibly want to transform in an opponent, and it's not really just "since i cant do this, i'll do this" On another note, Follow Me should be "redirection" (Rage Powder exists too!). Say that you can also take advantage of match-ups with Transforming.
Team Options
  • Just say that Pokemon that enjoy the support it brings make for good teammates.
  • Make a collective statement about Pokemon that can set up that you can Transform into. Under this are BD Azu and PuP Kanga.
  • You honestly don't need a Taunt user with Mew; I mean, it's nice but a Taunt user is nice with everything oLo
  • Mention things that can take out Darks and Aegi, thorns to Mew.
Other Options
  • Add Ally Switch, Thunder Wave
  • Remove Heal Bell
  • You didn't mention Super Fang's real useful use, which is give Mew a semi-reliable attacking option.
  • Specifically mention that TRoom is for the slow mons.
  • "Ice Beam is a quick catch to Landorus-T, and could work well if your team needs it." Anything could work well if your team needs it. Rephrase this.
  • "Helping Hand is a way to increase the amount of damage your partner deals, if ever necessary". Say something else, like "letting them get key KOs" or something like that.
  • Safety Gogs: "...but Sitrus Berry and Leftovers are good options for restoring health to Mew." can be rephrased to something about Mew missing the recovery from Sitrus or Lefties if you use gogs.
Checks and Counters
  • Typing Advantage: Mention AEGISLASH instead of regular Gengar
  • Strong Attackers: Mention Zard Y too, just to have a Special Attacker example. Mention why these are checks: they can just keep attacking while fearing nothing from Mew sans Will-O-Wisp for physical attackers.
  • Utility Moves: I'd just keep it simple and say that Taunt prevents it from doing its support role at all and that Encore can lock it into an unfavorable move. I'd note mention Sableye as an example, and instead of Infernape, I'd mention Togekiss instead.
  • Take out Miscellaneous. They talk about its partner and, while Mew does kinda rely on them, not Mew itself, making them irrelevant to this section.
Let's keep it simple, brother. Once you implement, 1/3 :)!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)