move 2: Explosion
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Magic Coat
item: Normal Gem
ability: Synchronize
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Why this deserves to be on-site:

• An effective lead in Hyper Offensive Teams not wanting to waste a team slot on a ghost-type Pokemon.
  • Beats pretty much every other lead with Taunt and Magic Coat, even opposing Magic Coat Deoxys-D's lose since you outspeed them after a Magic Coat war if that ever occurs.
  • Advantage over Azelf in ability to have enough bulk to run a Normal Gem, making for a stronger Explosion netting more KO's, like almost always OHKO'ing Xatu. If Azelf lacks Focus Sash it is always OHKO'd by Genesect.

Additional Comments:

• EV's are standard-- allow for maximum attack for your Explosion and for Genesect to always get an Attack boost since a +1 U-Turn never KO's unless Banded or Expert Belted (which you outspeed and get up Rocks), while a +1 Bug Buzz always OHKO's.
  • Stealth Rock is for a Lead, obviously, as this can be a great lead for HO teams.
  • Taunt prevents things from setting up on you, and you can Taunt opposing leads if you outspeed them.
  • Magic Coat allows you to win versus faster leads, like Terrakion, Infernape, Aerodactyl, and Azelf and as they Taunt you can reflect it giving you momentum.
  • If you feel as though Gengar or Fighting Types attempting to set up will be troublesome, Zen Headbutt can be used.
  • Explosion gives Mew a self-spinblock as spinners slower than Mew will not hit Mew as it Explodes, meaning it cannot Rapid Spin the Stealth Rock. Many times you can severely damage a Pokemon or earn a kill and set-up Stealth Rock as well.
  • If Magic Bounce is on the opposing team, or the opponent leads with Starmie, it is standard etiquette to Explode turn 1 or save Mew and lead with something else.
  • Life Orb can be used with Zen Headbutt if you want more power with that STAB.

Teammates & Counters

• All teammates who like Stealth Rock support are welcome. Scizor is an exemplary partner as it can check Gengar setting up a Sub versus Mew.
  • Landorus, Dragonite, all sweepers that wants Stealth Rock to earn certain KO's, etc. are great partners.
  • Counters are strong hitters that can OHKO Mew turn 1 and outspeed it, namely Specs Latios and Life Orb Gengar.

I'm not really digging the look of this set tbh, mainly due to its emphasis as a suicide lead. Even though it seems to have the Normal Gem advantage over Azelf, that doesn't change the fact that it... is still Explosion, which is not really worth setting up Stealth Rock in this metagame. Also, U-turn and especially Genesect are getting really common, which hits Mew really hard and sometimes makes it fail.

Even though it does have advantages, I don't see it being much more preferable than Deoxys-D or Azelf, as it straddles a middle line between the two. The "Lead Metagame" is a thing of the past, which is all this Mew seems to try to accomplish. Even then, Gengar is a hyper offensive Ghost-type that is definetly not a "waste."

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Rejected 1/3

I find this set very difficult to justify over other leads such as Azelf, Terrakion, and above all Deoxys-D. I dislike suicide leads already, and Mew's niche is just too small. Its surprise value merits a mention in OO, however.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I remember you talking about this set in OU, Bri. Perhaps provide some logs showing it in action? I don't like how Gengar can use Mew as a free turn to Sub, and Mew really cannot do anything to Xatu / Espeon except exploding.

I think a SR - Taunt - Fire Blast - Thunderbolt / Psychic with an AC mention of Superpower and Ice Beam may be a better SR lead set for Mew.

I tested this and I like lead azelf better because of speed. The exact same set used in gen4 (SR/Psychic/Explosion/Fir Blast) works great, maybe with thunderbolt or taunt thrown in.

400 POSTS WOOOOO!!!!!!

QC Rejected 1/3

I find this set very difficult to justify over other leads such as Azelf, Terrakion, and above all Deoxys-D.
The main thing that sets Mew apart from these leads is the fact that it gains momentum from them turn 1, because it doesn't lose the Taunt war, which is a lot of leads problem. Now think about it-- what are all these leads going to do versus Mew? Taunt or Magic Coat in Deoxys-D's case maybe, which it loses the Magic Coat War due to its lower speed. Pocket, you say you dislike how Mew is set-up on by Gengar, but in reality you don't HAVE to lead with Mew, and Deoxys-D and Adamant Azelf have the same problem anyways.. so...

Lastly, above all, Mew can self-spinblock with explosion. This is important as HO teams no longer are forced to rely on a ghost, like DeoD + Gengar, and it frees up a team slot. I got the argument how Gengar "isn't a waste of a slot", but take Limitless's old Azelf team for example, he ran Azelf so it could self-spinblock and then ran 5 Physical attackers, the same concept applies with Mew but I believe it fulfills Azelf's role better in BW2. Azelf is forced to run a Focus Sash, otherwise it is OHKO'd by Genesect-- Mew doesn't have this problem and can run Normal Gem along with the attack investment to earn some KO's that Azelf cannot earn. Xatu, one I keep bringing up, is OHKO'd by Mew while Azelf cannot do that. If you have a Breloom on your team, which benefits from this, that's a pretty big deal. Here are a few others that are a big deal--

252Atk Normal Gem Mew (Neutral) Explosion vs 252HP/0Def Levitate Latias (Neutral): 102% - 120% (372 - 438 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

252Atk Azelf (+Atk) Explosion vs 252HP/0Def Levitate Latias (Neutral): 87% - 102% (317 - 374 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 17% chance to OHKO.

252Atk Azelf (Neutral) Explosion vs 252HP/0Def Leftovers Levitate Latias (Neutral): 79% - 93% (289 - 341 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252Atk Normal Gem Mew (Neutral) Explosion vs 252HP/40Def Leftovers Starmie (Neutral): 114% - 135% (372 - 438 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

252Atk Azelf (+Atk) Explosion vs 252HP/40Def Leftovers Starmie (Neutral): 97% - 115% (317 - 374 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 87% chance to OHKO.

252Atk Azelf (Neutral) Explosion vs 252HP/40Def Leftovers Starmie (Neutral): 89% - 105% (289 - 341 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 32% chance to OHKO.

252Atk Normal Gem Mew (Neutral) Explosion vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Keldeo (Neutral): 114% - 135% (372 - 438 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

252Atk Azelf (+Atk) Explosion vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Keldeo (Neutral): 97% - 115% (317 - 374 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 87% chance to OHKO.

252Atk Azelf (Neutral) Explosion vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Keldeo (Neutral): 89% - 105% (289 - 341 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 32% chance to OHKO.

Huh, Bulky Starmie and Keldeo have the same defensive stats.. who knew.

Those are just some, as the Explosion can be used any time during a match. Another nice kill Mew gets that Azelf doesn't is versus 252 HP Amoonguss, as well.

As you can see Mew definitely has merits that make it a formidable lead and Stealth Rocker, and I definitely feel as though it is more than worthy for a BW2 OU Analysis.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Lead Mew is very good, I used it in a few teams and trust me it's good. In my opinion, magic coat is useless, Zen Headbutt for sure. Explosion is also very nice against foretress because it couldn't spin, then you'd just have to put the pressure on your opponent.

Also there is another good Set iirc, from Agammenon : Stealth Rock / Ice Beam / Low Kick / Tbolt or Flammethrower with the Life Orb. Could work.

Lead Mew is very good, I used it in a few teams and trust me it's good. In my opinion, magic coat is useless, Zen Headbutt for sure. Explosion is also very nice against foretress because it couldn't spin, then you'd just have to put the pressure on your opponent.

Also there is another good Set iirc, from Agammenon : Stealth Rock / Ice Beam / Low Kick / Tbolt or Flammethrower with the Life Orb. Could work.
Yah, 3 attacks is very good as well with Life Orb, but I do not like how it cannot do anything to opposing leads. I may put that through QC on another set. I do not believe Magic Coat is "worthless". It prevents Rocks from being up from opposing Magic Coat DeoD, Terrakion, opposing Azelf, and Aerodactyl, which all are decently common Pokemon, not getting Taunted is amazing from the likes of Sableye so you are insured SR.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm going to give this set a pass.

Why? Because offense is king in this metagame and Lead Mew is really good at setting up the offensive momentum. Unlike Azelf, it doesn't really die to a light tap so it can actually USE normal gem, and it's difficult to outright OHKO it. Brii's calcs prove that Mew has more midgame utility than Azelf as well. Though I have to I agree with Ojama, Magic Coat isn't really that good. Sure it lets you troll Terrakion, but it doesn't have much use out of that... Mew absolutely needs another attacking move so it isn't complete fodder, and Zen Headbutt lets you cripple Terrakion, so if it taunts Mew, you can force it sacrifice itself if it wants to lay down rocks.

EDIT: Then again, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a secondary slash since it prevents SR from faster Pokemon and it trolls Sableye.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Thanks PK Gaming! I still think Magic Coat is a cool option since a lot of teams using Mew (well just from my experience in using it) have Dragonite so keeping Rocks off the field is an asset, but I'll change if need be. I recommend trying out Magic Coat out though before automatically disliking it.

People have been saying this set is outclassed by Azelf, but I listed several advantages above and here is a big one:

0Atk Unnerve Tyranitar (Neutral) Crunch vs 4HP/0Def Levitate Azelf (Neutral): 102% - 121% (300 - 354 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

0Atk Unnerve Tyranitar (Neutral) Crunch vs 4HP/0Def Mew (Neutral): 64% - 77% (222 - 264 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

It means you can actually Taunt Tyranitar to prevent Stealth Rock without being OHKO'd even through Sash. That is a big deal.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok I'm retracting my rejection, but I'm still maintaining that mew's niche is small even though the set is decent (we don't really have a clear policy on whether viable but largely outclassed pokemon should receive analyses). It doesn't deserve anywhere near the usage it currently seems to be seeing, so I really don't want you to oversell this set in the writeup. Mention all the advantages of its main competitors, Azelf, Aerodactyl, Terrakion, and Deoxys-D as well as their disadvantages.

edit: it's also worth noting that magic coat makes better use of its niche over azelf, as Azelf has a significantly more powerful Zen Headbutt. I would also consider using a Life Orb in that case - at least mention it in AC - since it powers up ZHB too.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[qc]2/3[/qc]

I actually rather like this set, the bulk was nice, although I agree with PK Gaming and Ojama in that I found Zen Headbutt more successful since the odd time I would get caught out and Magic Coat the Terrakion, only for it to Swords Dance (or Sub) in my face. Zen Headbutt made me feel slightly more in control of a Terrakion vs Mew match up, and it was also nice for hitting shit like Venusaur, Tentacruel and Keldeo the odd time if I didn't want to waste my explosion early. Please emphasis the bulk this has over Azelf has its main draw, its a good set, but it is competing against the other suicide leads out there.

edit: it's also worth noting that magic coat makes better use of its niche over azelf, as Azelf has a significantly more powerful Zen Headbutt. I would also consider using a Life Orb in that case - at least mention it in AC - since it powers up ZHB too.
Um it was already in the AC...

[qc]2/3[/qc]

I actually rather like this set, the bulk was nice, although I agree with PK Gaming and Ojama in that I found Zen Headbutt more successful since the odd time I would get caught out and Magic Coat the Terrakion, only for it to Swords Dance (or Sub) in my face. Zen Headbutt made me feel slightly more in control of a Terrakion vs Mew match up, and it was also nice for hitting shit like Venusaur, Tentacruel and Keldeo the odd time if I didn't want to waste my explosion early. Please emphasis the bulk this has over Azelf has its main draw, its a good set, but it is competing against the other suicide leads out there.
Ok, thanks for the approval! I'll make Zen Headbutt the main slash since there's been many saying that.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bri, just make sure to emphasize Zen Headbutt and de-emphasize Magic Coat in your analysis to reflect the QC changes.

QC Approved (3/3)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wouldn't it be better to invest those 4 EVs into Defense and not Special Defense to avoid being heavily damaged by Genesect?

edit: ah, i see. my bad :X

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi Brii, this analysis is put on hold until further notice.

Just hang tight for a bit, don't worry it shouldn't too long, QC just needs to confer among themselves for a bit.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Alright Brii, i'm going to go ahead and let you write the analysis

There are a lot of considerations here, but for the most part, we can't keep this thread frozen for any longer. The analysis was frozen because a good half of QC was outright against the set going up. I had no idea that the SR Mew was a subject of so much debate, so it was definitely the right choice the freeze the analysis and discuss it internally. Sometimes these adjustments have to be made. We've revised approved analysis before, and had some cool ideas we've scrapped brought back to life. Unfortunately, the issue still wasn't completely resolved yet; A good half of the QC members were still against the set, so I decided to solicit the opinions from players around the net. I think it's another one of those situations where a single person had to make the tough call. It's not really ideal, and it's rarely pulled off effectively, but this is a decision that had to be made. We couldn't keep this analysis frozen for any longer.

So please, continue writing the analysis.

Pocket

I've been playing around this set, and nothing fits in the last slot better than Tailwind. Nothing supports offensive teams better than doubling your sweeper's Speed for 1-2 turns. Tailwind followed by a good Explosion puts the opponent in a weird spot as they end up staring at a really fast Keldeo or Volcarona, etc. It also allows Mew to set up Rocks and Explode on Starmie before it gets a chance to spin. Jimbon's RMThttp://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473211 showcases this set.

Magic Coat is still nice for an increasing amounts of fast SR leads, though.

tl;dr - replace Zen Headbutt for Tailwind. The fourth slot should look like this - Tailwind / Magic Coat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)