Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the problem I see with Mega Mewtwo Y is that it is more susceptible to revenge killing from the likes of the Ekiller and Giratina-O (not to mention Aegislash), while Modest Mega Mewtwo Y is still outsped by Timid Darkrai (which is going to be a threat this generation, given Dark's improved coverage).
Mega Mewtwo X gains STAB on Aura Sphere but loses Life Orb boosts, so it has a much weaker Psystrike.
I've been running regular LO Mewtwo on Showdown with decent results, a moveset of Psystrike/Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Flamethrower still does an asston of damage (if you can attack as it Geomances Psystrike does 60%+ to the 144/0 Xerneas, bringing it down to the killing range of an unboosted Extremespeed or Shadow Sneak).

Because it already gets a speed boost over normal Mewtwo, and increasing Special Attack just makes it hurt things that much more. That's my guess, anyway.
While it is appealing that Mega Mewtwo- Y gets more power witha Modest nature, it gets outsped by Timid Darkrai, which is a huge threat for Mewtwo. I just think this reason is enough to make Timid the better choice.

hey here is a fun measurement result

mewtwo Y can use the rest

because u can wake up by mega evolution next round

for example

round 1

mew-two used rest , recovering its hp and status

mew-two has slept

round 2

mew-two mega evo to mew-two Y , mew-two Y wakes up !

mew-two Y used psystrike

this is fun honestly ! ~

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anyone else looking forward to a badass brawl of the Mewtwos? Mewtwo-X becoming dominant while Mewtwo-Y sees use as a counter forme. If BW2 transfers are ever allowed, Mewtwo-Y can check the X-forme with Hurricane.

Speaking of possible BW2 transfers, aren't there some tutors X-forme can make use of from BW2? Drain Punch, for example.

Anyone else looking forward to a badass brawl of the Mewtwos? Mewtwo-X becoming dominant while Mewtwo-Y sees use as a counter forme. If BW2 transfers are ever allowed, Mewtwo-Y can check the X-forme with Hurricane.

Speaking of possible BW2 transfers, aren't there some tutors X-forme can make use of from BW2? Drain Punch, for example.
Elemental Punches, Aqua tail, Drain punch, Iron Tail and Zen Headbutt

Mewtwo isn't shit, but he isn't a dangerous as people make him out to be. What makes him to be a threat is his extreme versatility, high special attack and speed, Psystrike effectively made him a mixed sweeper.

I don't think Mega Mewtwo Y will be used that much, while just a upgraded Mewtwo with a better ability, he doesn't hit as hard as LO Mewtwo and has a even worse scarf weakness then his normal form, considering you can't even mess around with Genesect anymore, fooling the download ability. Only set I see it running is a calm mind, which only leaves Mewtwo 2-3 attacking moves(depending if you use recover).

Mega Mewtwo X will be more interesting to see and will likely have a niche in ubers due to its new typing, it also has better overall bulk and doesn't have the genesect weakness but is still vulnerable to scarf darkrai and other scarf power hitters like Kyogre.

In my opinion LO Mewtwo is still the premier Mewtwo set, hits harder then his mega evolutions, is still a better Mixed sweeper with psystrike. LO recoil isn't a problem, because Mewtwo isn't supposed to take hits, his speed and power combo is supposed to take your opponent before they can hit you.

Last edited:
Mega Mewtwo X seems the better of the 2 mega evolutions since its base stats are better distributed and the Psychic/Fighting typing gives him only 2 weaknesses. But the abilities of both the megas are useless. Mewtwo could have made good use of better abilities like Mold Breaker or adaptibilty

Insomnia is a decent ability, Darkrai will no longer be putting Mewtwo to sleep and if you lead with MMY, Smergle can no longer set up on you.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I still expect regular LO Mewtwo to be the most common so people can play with other Mega Pokémon (like Mega Gengar hehehehe), but I still think both Mega Mewtwo's have serious potential!

With Mega Mewtwo Y, while it may be more weak to stuff like priority and Genesect, the thing I find a big deal is that 120 base Special Defense. I remember Jibaku bringing up how with a Calm Mind, Scarf Palkia actually can't 2HKO you in the rain after Stealth Rock damage. Also, while it's not quite as powerful as LO Mewtwo, the lack of Life Orb recoil is pretty wonderful to be honest. I can't tell you how many times I've played an Ubers match, and for it to come down to stuff like Mewtwo dying to Life Orb recoil! It'll need some support, but I think the extra SpD, and the ability to always outspeed Mega Gengar, will give Mega Mewtwo Y its uses. Also, on a side note, Battle Spot currently allows Mewtwo. In a metagame where item clause is around, Mega Mewtwo Y sounds like a great way to get around that whole "can only have one life orb" deal!

As for Mega Mewtwo X, I actually want to try that out more now. Believe it or not, one of the things I'm most interested in is a Calm Mind set. Sure, it won't hit as hard as the other Mewtwos, but the ability to destroy Genesect and avoid Yveltal's Sucker Punch is honestly pretty appealing to me, and may be worth the loss in power. The other set I'm interested in is that Bulk Up set, which could make Mewtwo rather difficult to revenge kill with priority (especially with that nice defense boost). Drain Punch is pretty appealing too, but don't forget, when Pokebank comes out, Mega Mewtwo X also has STAB Low Kick, which hits many of the fat Ubers rather hard! Finally, Jibaku was talking about some sort of mixed set, maybe I should get him to post about it...

On a final note, here's something I think may apply to all Mewtwos in the future: Could Taunt make a comeback? In generation 5, Dragon Tail really screwed up Taunt CM Mewtwo. However, with Xerneas and his fairy pals around, I expect Dragon Tail to lose a lot of its usage, so I'm tempted to try out some Taunt sets again!

Last edited:

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ Xiammes: In the long run, I do not think LO Mewtwo is getting used unless other Megas become viable in Ubers. I can't tell you how many of my Ubers games came down to LO Mewtwo speed ties where the other guy would win by mashing Psystrike and taking advantage of my previous LO recoil turns. Using Y-forme does away with that element entirely and allows me to flat out beat cheeky users who opt for the power at the cost of the recoil.

Also, you contradict yourself by mentioning Mewtwo-Y's decreased defense as a weakness, then proceed to state that LO recoil is cool because 'Mewtwo is not supposed to be taking hits'. On top of being contradictory, it's untrue. Mewtwo has always been able to use its good bulk to find setup opportunities in Ubers, which is necessary, due to its lack of effective resists. There are also bulky Mewtwo sets that further employ use of its bulk to stall and opt for more CMs with defensive investment instead of Life Orb. They're all viabe options to make use of its defenses.

For all intents and purposes, Mewtwo-X is the best of both worlds. It has that crucial Bug neutrality that both Regular and Y forme envy, and a temtping base attack that can do some serious damage on a primarily specially focused metagame. Anyone downplaying what this guy can do will receive a serious wake-up call once he's in your face.

EDIT: Did some calcs for a more defensive Mewtwo-X. Doesn't look like there's any viable way for him to check E-Killer Arceus, which is disappointing.

Last edited:
While it is appealing that Mega Mewtwo- Y gets more power witha Modest nature, it gets outsped by Timid Darkrai, which is a huge threat for Mewtwo. I just think this reason is enough to make Timid the better choice.
Honestly, I just wrote those sets for discussion points. Their are probably way more ideal ones (like a mixed set, or a taunt set somebody suggested, or just plain ol' Mewtwo with life orb/choice specs).

For that reason I purposely didn't put EV's. The natures are also a bit arbitrary. So consider this a first draft for the sake of discussion.

@ Xiammes: In the long run, I do not think LO Mewtwo is getting used unless other Megas become viable in Ubers. I can't tell you how many of my Ubers games came down to LO Mewtwo speed ties where the other guy would win by mashing Psystrike and taking advantage of my previous LO recoil turns. Using Y-forme does away with that element entirely and allows me to flat out beat cheeky users who opt for the power at the cost of the recoil.

Also, you contradict yourself by mentioning Mewtwo-Y's decreased defense as a weakness, then proceed to state that LO recoil is cool because 'Mewtwo is not supposed to be taking hits'. On top of being contradictory, it's untrue. Mewtwo has always been able to use its good bulk to find setup opportunities in Ubers, which is necessary, due to its lack of effective resists. There are also bulky Mewtwo sets that further employ use of its bulk to stall and opt for more CMs with defensive investment instead of Life Orb. They're all viabe options to make use of its defenses.

For all intents and purposes, Mewtwo-X is the best of both worlds. It has that crucial Bug neutrality that both Regular and Y forme envy, and a temtping base attack that can do some serious damage on a primarily specially focused metagame. Anyone downplaying what this guy can do will receive a serious wake-up call once he's in your face.

EDIT: Did some calcs for a more defensive Mewtwo-X. Doesn't look like there's any viable way for him to check E-Killer Arceus, which is disappointing.
I never came down to a speed tie with LO Mewtwo in my entire history in Ubers, I just don't see LO recoil as a problem. I'm not being contradictory, Mewtwo doesn't mind life orb recoil, but its weakened defenses, it can't play with scarf and priority users now. Most Genesects are physical, so I just run 4def and when Genesect switches in, he won't get the attack boost and 1hko me unless they run bug buzz. MMY just has even less options against scarf and priority users.

Mewtwo is surprising bulky, but with hyper offense being a popular playstyle, I haven't been able to successfully run calm mind Mewtwo when threats like Darkrai, Genesect, Arcues and Giratina prowl.

I'm too interested in seeing how MMX turns out, there is no reason he can't run defensive sets, bulk up + drain punch, you don't have waste a moveslot on recover, giving you two other attacking moves for coverage. The only way this won't turn out to be a popular is if he doesn't get any good physical attacking moves.

Actually Mewtwo has access to Low Kick via BW2 move tutor, wich is pretty good in a metagame like ubers where every Pokémon is heavy as fuck. We should wait until PokéBank comes out, thought.

Another important thing is the mind games that Mewtwo now plays. Mewtwo used to be just a pwerhouse of, well, power. Now your opponent doesn't know if you're running MMX MMY, or not even a Mega at all. This Gen and its mind games are going to be hilarious.

Another important thing is the mind games that Mewtwo now plays. Mewtwo used to be just a pwerhouse of, well, power. Now your opponent doesn't know if you're running MMX MMY, or not even a Mega at all. This Gen and its mind games are going to be hilarious.
That all depends on what else you run. Say you have Mewtwo and a Charizard (poor example yes, but it makes my point) obviously Charizard would be the Mega cause if you're using Zard at all, it should be your Mega, so you know Mewtwo will most likely be Life Orb

We know that Modest MM2-Y is outsped by Timid Darkrai, so what about an EV spread of 80 Def/252 SAtk/176 Spe Timid? Since 140 is such an odd number, I dont think it needs max speed. Its not catching up to Deo-A or neutral natured base 90 Scarfers, and this spread gives it enough to outrun Timid normal Mewtwo. The Defense EVs soften up ESpeeds and Shadow Sneaks a bit (though not sure exactly how much does it help).

Thoughts?

That's a great spread MrEon
that spread will also outspeed max speed timid Mewtwo X
But i still think it should have max speed in case it comes up against another Mewtwo Y
then the speed advantage could mean that you could take care of the other Mega Mewtwo Y and turn the game in your favour. (because your opponent will have lost his/her mega)
Or it should at least use 64 Def/252 Spa/ 192 Spe Timid to outrun Modest 252 Spe Mega Alakazam (The fastest equal Mega in the game) or other base 150 Spe poke not using +Spe nature sets

I gotta say i'm very interested in megamewtwo Y. I typically use CM sweeper anyway, which life orb typically doesn't help all that much because you're killing everything just the same after a few cms. I'm sure there are some exceptions but you get the point.

It would be ecstasy to play possum with a cm or two, then slam the mega button when some sleeper or something that wants to speed tie comes in. Game over right there.

I'm catching Mewtwo now (can't believe how much easier IVs are now) and I'm looking for a mixed MewtwoX. What are people's feelings on this? Should I be going for Hasty? Naughty? I'm still really unsure about this mon.

I'm catching Mewtwo now (can't believe how much easier IVs are now) and I'm looking for a mixed MewtwoX. What are people's feelings on this? Should I be going for Hasty? Naughty? I'm still really unsure about this mon.
I'm going for hasty for a potential mixed attacker, simply because I like having more options on my legendaries, esp with reset ev bags. What do you guys think about using the mega X just for a super high atk self destruct?

252spA 252 spd
Psystrike
Self destruct
Aura sphere
Ice beam

Another set which is tempting me but is probably heaps better just with jolly nature...
252atk 252 spd
Power up punch
Drain punch
Psycho cut/psychic
Earthquake

Here's the best one I've found so far, would you guys keep this or is the hp iv too low?

Hasty
234 Hp 9
180 Atk 31
131 Def 22
242 SpA 31
147 Sp.D 24
228 SpD 31

Last edited:
MMX can probably run a Quick Stall set slightly more effectively than the standard Mewtwo (WoW/Taunt/Recover/Psystrike), with slightly increased defences and the loss of its Bug/Dark weaknesses, with the only real flying users in Ubers being Ho-oh and Yveltal, both of which its already forced out against. It is important to keep in mind you lose the ability to pressure stall 8 PP moves after MEvoing. I suppose switching your STAB to Psycho cut to use the 190 Base attack works, and that opens up Bulk Up over WoW, allowing you to play as a type of Mono-Attacker at the cost of being walled by Darkrai (though you might be able to PP stall it with the crit nerf, Taunt and Light Screen). It is one of Mewtwo's more niche sets, but an option for MMX to see some play.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is getting to the point of retarded speculation but I hope that Gamefreaks, when they release Pokemon Z, have Mewtwo's Mega-Z form as ultra-defensive stats-wise. Man does it ever have the best movepool in the game for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)