Micro Metagames General Thread

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Micro Metagames

General Thread

It's finally here - a general thread for micro metagames!

What constitutes a Micro Metagame?
- It's simple - a micro metagame is a metagame where the total number of Pokemon permitted is less than 50.

Thread specific rules:
- While all metagames must be approved the normal way, if your metagame is denoted as a micro metagame, the final product must be posted here instead of in the forum.
- This thread will also serve as a discussion thread - there will be a list of metagames kept in ths OP.

List of Micro Metagames:
- Fail Cup -- Players can only use Pokemon that cannot learn moves by TM!

- Mega Cup -- Only Mega-Formes of Pokemon can be used, but they can equip any item they want!

- Championmons -- Only Pokemon used by Pokemon Champions from the games are permitted!

- Fossilmons -- Only Pokemon revived from a Fossil can be used!

- ChampionMons -- Only Pokemon used by Pokemon Champions from the games are permitted!

- Fledgling Cup -- Players can only use Baby Pokemon!

- Undivisible Cup -- Pokemon are permitted if their BST is not evenly divisible by 5!

- RBY LC UU -- Only the UU Tier Pokemon from Red/Blue/Yellow Little Cup are permitted!

- Smeargle Cup -- You can only use Smeargle! You can't have the same move on different Smeargle!

- Badmovemons -- If it can learn a move with no effect (Splash, Celebrate, Hold Hands), you can use it here!

- Extreme Mons -- Only Pokemon with at least 1 stat greater than or equal to 140 may be used!

- Birdmons -- Only Pokemon that resemble birds are permitted!

- Feather Cup -- Players can only use Pokemon that weigh under 5 lb.!

- Frogmons -- (Basically) only Frog-like Pokemon are permitted!

- Under-powered Mons -- Only Pokemon with every stat under 60 are permitted!

- Within the Borderline -- Only Pokemon in the BL tiers may be used!

- Weedmons -- Only Pokemon with a BST of 420, or with the Ability Blaze, Sap Sipper, White Smoke, are permitted!

- Arceus Cup -- Only Arceus Formes may be used! No duplicate forms!

- The Barber Shop -- Only Pokemon with facial hair are permitted! (Mustaches, Beards)

- Gem-Mons -- If the Pokemon has a jewel(s) on their body, they can be used!

- Formeations -- Only Pokemon with an alternate Forme may be used!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fail Cup, Bug Catcher Cup, and Fishmons. Fail Cup and Fishmons have never gotten their own threads though.

Arcticblast

Fail Cup

To put it simply, Fail Cup is a metagame where nothing that learns TMs is allowed*. It's a bit more complicated than that, but whatever. It's a metagame where basically everything is broken, but it's so dumb it's pretty fun!
Caterpie
Metapod
Weedle
Kakuna
Ditto
Magikarp
Unown
Wurmple
Silcoon
Cascoon
Wynaut
Beldum
Kricketot
Burmy
Combee
Tynamo
Scatterbug
Spewpa

Banlist:
- Smeargle
- Wobbuffet
- standard clauses, not that any of them are actually relevant
- Eviolite Clause - one Eviolite per team that cannot be given to Magikarp, Wynaut, Beldum, Combee, or Tynamo

*Spewpa is technically compatible with Protect but it gets that by level up so I don't care.

Last edited:
A somewhat interesting idea, although I feel like Imposter Ditto will be everywhere, as it's the only competent one of these Pokemon. Wynaut too.

Why is the Eviolite banned from Magikarp, Wynaut, Beldum, Combee, and Tynamo?

Arcticblast

Remember - Imposter Ditto is only as good as the environment it's in. It's common, yes, but it's not really a destroyer.

Eviolite is banned on only those Pokemon because it's a pathetic attempt at balancing the best Pokemon.

Some of the things I notice right away in Fail Cup:

-Spewpa is an awesome status spreader with Stun Spore. And Eviolite makes it pretty damn bulky.
-Beldum...just no. From the Gen V tutors it gets Iron Head and Zen Headbutt. And it has the highest usable Attack stat in Fail Cup (Unown's is higher but it's not like it can use it). Also Iron Defense, and with 40/80/60 Defenses that's a bit too much even without Eviolite, especially since there's one special attacker in Fail Cup.
-Unown hits everything on its lower defensive stat. And Specs HP Fire is amazing in Fail Cup. The only thing that can beat Beldum, although it is weak to all the Bugs. It outspeeds most of them though.
-Tynamo has Charge Beam.
-Wynaut. Because Wynaut. It is weak to Bug though.
-Ditto seems interesting but the only things it can really copy are Tynamo and Unown due to the hyper-defensive nature of the meta.

Letting Spewpa in means Gen VI actually matters to Fail Cup outside of Tynamo being immune to paralysis. It's a good change to the tier since Spewpa brings semi-reliable poison (a first for the tier!) and paralysis spread to the table while also serving as another much-needed counter to Beldum. It's still threatened by the special attackers of the tier (and wynaut to an extent), so it's not overpowered at all.

I think Fail Cup is better with Spewpa than without, and it doesn't seriously violate the core idea behind the metagame since TM17 doesn't change its movepool at all.

I hope I'm not posting this too early (Approved by Arcticblast)

INTRODUCING...

In some ways the exact opposite of Fail Cup, Mega Cup only allows Mega Evolutions. Discounting Mega Mewtwo, there are 26 to choose from, which allows for a certain amount of variety while still keeping the metagame small enough to be "Micro". The twist is that in this metagame, instead of having to mega-evolve, all pokemon start out in their mega form and are allowed to use any items they want.

That's right, you can have anything from Choice Band Mega Medicham to Assault Vest Mega Tyranitar. This may seem broken, but when every pokemon in the game has that level of power, it balances out fairly well. The big powerhouses such as Mega Kangaskan and Gengar now have to face new counters such as Will-o-Wisp Mega Banette and Choice Scarf MegaChomp. Although mostly dominated by attackers, Aggron, Tyranitar, Venusaur and Blastoise still function well defensively, so not every team has to play hyper-offense.

Weather is interesting here. The most noticeable thing is that Rain is the only auto-weather that doesn't exist in Mega Cup. Tyranitar, however, remains stronger than ever with access to Assault Vest and Life Orb. (Not to mention, Mega Garchomp is an absolute monster in sand.) Mega Charizard Y is not to be underestimated either. Sun has always been good, but it was held back by the ever-present rain teams and the overall mediocrity of Ninetales. Neither of those problems stand in the way of MegaZard Y, and with 159 SpA and good abusers in the form of Houndoom and Blaziken, it's definitely going to leave a mark.

Mega Abomasnow isn't nearly as good, but it does have its own niche in the form of Trick Room. In a metagame filled to the brim with fast attackers, Trick Room allows pokemon like Mega Mawile and Mega Ampharos to dominate. Unfortunately, the only setters are Mega Alakazam, Gengar, Gardevoir and Banette, all of which are rather fast and have subpar defensive typing, so it probably won't have any large effect on the meta.

Stealth Rock is still pretty important. With several good setters, four 2x weak pokemon and two 4x weak pokemon (including the indomitable Mega Charizard Y), it's still viable, especially if you want to counter sun teams.

Beyond that, it's up to the imagination. What new cores can be formed with access to more than one of these pokemon? Who can best abuse items like Choice Scarf and Weakness Policy? Anything is possible in the world of Mega Cup!

Banned Megas
Mega Mewtwo X
Mega Mewtwo Y
Mega Charizard X and Y cannot be on the same team (Share a pokedex number)

EDIT: Until they are officially released, Mega Latios/Mega Latias are banned. Sry :c

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ChampionMons
ChampionMons is similar to normal battling, but now you can only use Pokemon that any Pokemon Champion used in game.
You may use any Ability or Move of the Pokemon that is not used ingame however.
Lance is counted as a Champion, but Red isn't as I decided the Champion should be fought at the Elite Four to count, also N isn't seen as a Champion but Lance isn't.
The only MegaPokemon available is MegaGardevoir as it's the only one that is used Ingame.
The Pokemon from the Champion are counted from any game it's Champion in.
We're open for name suggestions to replace the current.
Pidgeot
Alakazam
Rhydon
Exeggutor
Gyarados
Charizard
Arcanine
Blastoise
Venusaur
Vaporeon
Flareon
Jolteon
Sandslash
Magneton
Cloyster
Dragonite
Aerodactyl
Skarmory
Claydol
Cradily
Armaldo
Aggron
Metagross
Wailord
Tentacruel
Whiscash
Ludicolo
Milotic
Spiritomb
Roserade
Gastrodon
Lucario
Garchomp
Togekiss
Accelgor
Escavalier
Volcarona
Vanilluxe
Bouffalant
Druddigon
Hydreigon
Archeops
Haxorus
Lapras
Hawlucha
Tyrantrum
Aurorus
Gourgeist
Goodra
Gardevoir + Mega

Pidgeot
Bouffalant

Hawlucha
Lucario

Dragonite
Pidgeot
Hawlucha
Archeops
Skarmory
Togekiss
Aerodactyl
Gyarados

Volcarona
Accelgor
Escavalier

Roserade
Tentacruel
Venusaur

Gourgeist
Roserade
Venusaur
Ludicolo
Cradily
Exeggutor

Charizard
Flareon
Volcarona
Arcanine

Blastoise
Lapras
Tentacruel
Vaporeon
Gastrodon
Milotic
Ludicolo
Whiscash
Wailord
Cloyster
Gyarados

Jolteon
Magneton

Lapras
Aurorus
Vanilluxe
Cloyster

Rhydon
Garchomp
Gastrodon
Claydol
Sandslash

Rhydon
Aurorus
Tyrantrum
Aggron
Archeops
Cradily
Aerodactyl

Escavalier
Skarmory
Metagross
Aggron
Lucario
Magneton

Alakazam
Metagross
Gardevoir
Claydol
Exeggutor

Spiritomb

Gourgeist
Spiritomb

Goodra
Garchomp
Dragonite
Haxorus
Hydreigon
Druddigon
Tyrantrum

Togekiss
Gardevoir

Rhydon
Garchomp
Druddigon
Archeops
Sandslash
Cradily
Metagross
Tyrantrum
Aggron
Claydol
Aerodactyl

Skarmory
Accelgor
Cloyster

Tentacruel
Roserade
Cloyster

Tentacruel
Sandslash
Armaldo
Blastiose
Claydol
Cloyster

Dragonite
Skarmory
Pidgeot
Togekiss
Aerodactyl
Charizard

Snaquaza - this seems pretty cool! Garchomp is in it to wreck shit. My one questiom is does it allow pokebank moves? (This is important because if Mega Gardevoir gets hyper voice it will be so much better.)

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Snaquaza - this seems pretty cool! Garchomp is in it to wreck shit. My one questiom is does it allow pokebank moves? (This is important because if Mega Gardevoir gets hyper voice it will be so much better.)
Yea it allows any legal moves to be used, so I'll include Pokebank Moves.

Edit: Skarmory is a nice stop to Garchomp tho, as are some other, lower tier mons

The megas one is interesting, as I'm doing something really similar for my weekly tour thing, except all mons are allowed + mevos. Either way, I can see megatar being a huge threat there with his huge BST, and real lack of things that can wall him.

Reactions: EV
The megas one is interesting, as I'm doing something really similar for my weekly tour thing, except all mons are allowed + mevos. Either way, I can see megatar being a huge threat there with his huge BST, and real lack of things that can wall him.
Lucario and Blaziken are the best two counters. Mega Aggron also doesnt care about anything but Superpower, and I'm pretty sure he can sponge a hit with Filter. I think bulky MegaChomp is a decent check as well.

(Approved by Arcticblast)
Introducing a new OM...

Fledgling Cup
image.jpg

In Fledgling Cup, we focus on an overlooked kind of Pokemon: Baby Pokemon. Only the 18 Baby Pokemon are usable.

Rules:
Only Baby Pokemon are allowed. Baby Pokemon are defined as Pokemon which are only available by breeding, are the lowest evolution in a family chain, can evolve, and are in the Unobtainable egg group. This makes a total of 18 Pokemon available in the metagame. Basic clauses are included, including the HP Percentage mod, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, etc. The default and max level for all Pokemon is level 5.

List of Allowed Pokemon:
Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Togepi
Tyrogue
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby
Azurill
Wynaut
Budew
Chingling
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Happiny
Munchlax
Riolu
Mantyke
Have fun trying out these Pokemon!

Last edited:
Right away Riolu interests me. Of course Prankster Whirlwind/Roar won't be happening, given new gen changes, but 70 attack isn't half bad.
Happiny is much the same role as its parents, unfortunately it has no access to recovery.
Mantyke may be a better choice for special hits, as it has a whopping 120 special defense, Aqua Ring for more staying power, and, of course, Eviolite.
Smoochum has a whopping 85 special attack.
Elekid may be the fastest with 95 speed, and can go mixed with 63/65 attacking stats. He also has access to Volt Switch, which will make him incredibly hard to KO.
Similarly, Magby has 75/70 attacking stats with 83 speed. Pretty potent.
Wynaut is literally just Wobuffet with lower stats, notably 100 less base HP.
Bonsly has a nice 80 attack and 95 defense, but, of course, 10 base speed. He gets Stealth Rocks though, and with Sturdy, is guaranteed to get them up. I don't think anything can spin or defog, too.
The only thing slower than Bonsly? Munchlax, of course! Ballin' with just 5 base speed, he also has 135 HP, 85 attack, and 85 special defense.

Could be fun! What's the stance of Eviolite? Every wall ever could use it, and with nothing getting knock-off (I think), those walls would be hard to break.

canno

formerly The Reptile
What makes Riolu scary in my opinion is it's access to Prankster Copycat. Thanks to Prankster Copycat, Riolu can land a hit and go for Copycat to outspeed the faster threat, unless they go for priority too. Against slower opponent, well, you out speed anyways, so there's no need to use Copycat. It also has moves to hit pokemon that try and get cheeky and resists its moves like Chingling, Togepi, and Mantyke. It's bulk isn't that great though, even with Eviolite. The set I'd run on it would be

Riolu @ Life Orb / Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Copycat
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch / Poison Jab
- Crunch / Poison Jab

HJK + Copycat lets Riolu smack things around really hard. Drain Punch and Eviolite are for survivability, Life Orb and HJK are for power. Thunder Punch is for Mantyke and nothing else, while Crunch hits Psychic-types SE. Poison Jab is for Togepi. Togepi is a good answer even to Poison Jab Riolu with a 252/252+ set with Eviolite. Unfortunantly, Riolu does not get Knock Off. Still, this thing is threatening. The name of the game is simple - switch in on something slower and go for STAB. If they go into something faster, Copycat to hit them with a priority move. If they resist, go for coverage. Copycat also lets you do cool things like set up hazards if your opponent uses them and other cool things.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Magby @ Berry Juice
EVs: speed/attack, Jolly
Ability: Flame Body
- Fire Punch
- Belly Drum
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Strategy:
- belly drum
- win
This thing looks really strong - only Eviolite Bonsley and max HP Eviolite Munchlax really wall it (Mantyke dies to Thunder Punch and other bulky mon die to +6 Fire Punch). Even revenge killing it isn't possible, as Mach Punch at +6 KO's things that try

+6 252 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Elekid: 260-306 (112.5 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Riolu: 246-290 (111.3 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The only problem this set has that I can see is actually setting up. Also, Berry Juice might not be the best item, since they're not at level 5 asaik, Sitrus Berry is better I would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)