1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Midnight City - Weatherless Offense

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Bribery, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Bribery

Bribery

Midnight City

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hi everyone, welcome to Midnight City, my third OU RMT for the BW metagame. The team is named after the song Midnight City by M83. It's an offensive weatherless team (well, sort of weatherless) based on using Magnezone to clear the way for the rest of my team to sweep. It's definitely my most offensive team to date, a significant change of pace for me since I commonly play balanced teams. Every member on this team hits hard with minimal setup and with the exception of Magnezone and Kingdra, every team member has 100+ base speed or a priority attack. Although this team uses a few standard sets, it's a bit different from the usual Volt-Turn teams that are plaguing the ladder.

I've played with this team for a while so I've gotten quite comfortable with using it. With the upcoming release of BW 2 and the inevitable metagame shakeup, I've decided to retire this team. Overall, I'd say it's a fairly consistent team but it does have a few Pokemon that really trouble it. I have outlined these Pokemon in the threat list below. Even though I'm retiring the team, feel free to provide suggestions on how to patch these weakness or identify threats that I may have missed.

In-Depth Analysis

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Azelf @ Life Orb
    Levitate | Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Ice Punch
    - Explosion

I chose Azelf to be my Stealth Rock user because it is one of the few SR users that also has a solid offensive presence thanks to its high speed and attack. Thus, it's a perfect fit on an offensive team like this. I usually lead with Azelf since it's faster than most of the metagame, thus it can easily setup Stealth Rock early game. Besides setting up SR, Azelf also makes an effective scout thanks to U-turn. Despite the nerf to Explosion, it's still one of the strongest attacks in the game. A well-timed Explosion can often seal the victory for me. Ice Punch isn't used often but it can be used to revenge kill things like Dragonite, Virizion, Tornadus, and Landorus. Overall, Azelf is a valuable offensive player on this team so I rarely play it as a suicide lead. Once it sets up SR, I try to conserve it for late game to take out a crucial Pokemon.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Magnet Pull | Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Flash Cannon

Honestly, Magnezone sucks. However, it does have an incredibly useful niche with its ability to trap and eliminate the majority of Steel types. This allows Kingdra and Salamence to have a field day spamming their high-powered Dragon attacks. Likewise, Terrakion is much more capable of sweeping with Scizor out of the way since many teams rely on it to check Terrakion. Although team preview hurts Magnezone's utility, it still puts a lot of pressure on my opponent. It forces them to play conservatively with their crucial Steel types and think carefully about every move. For example, should Scizor Bullet Punch or U-turn against my Terrakion? Furthermore, Magnezone makes a great defensive pivot since its unique typing grants it 12 resistances and 1 immunity. Thus, it's usually the first Pokemon I sacrifice to gain a free switch once it has served its purpose. The moveset is the standard Substitute set. I opted for Flash Cannon in the last slot to round out coverage. The speed EVs allow Magnezone to outrun all Adamant Scizor, which is useful against offensive SD sets.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Justified | Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Quick Attack

There isn't much I can say about CB Terrakion. Simply put, it's here to deal as much damage as possible so that the rest of my team has an easier time sweeping. It does a great job of removing Pokemon that trouble the rest of the team. For example, Terrakion tends to lure out Scizor which Magnezone can then trap and eliminate. This usually allows Terrakion and Salamence to sweep since many teams rely on Scizor to revenge kill them. It also eliminates Blissey/Chansey and Ferrothorn which wall Kingdra. Furthermore, it weakens physical walls like Gliscor and Slowbro so that Scizor and Salamence have an easier time cleaning up. The moveset is straightforward. Close Combat and Stone Edge are the only attacks I really use, but X-Scissor and Quick Attack have their uses. Quick Attack is especially useful for finishing off a weakened foe.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Scizor @ Life Orb
    Technician | Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower

Scizor really holds the team together. I find it hard not to include it on my teams these days because it checks so many deadly threats in the metagame, such as Terrakion, Latios, and Reuniclus. Although it is the slowest member on this team, its powerful priority often makes up for the difference. Offensive SD Scizor isn't that common since people tend to prefer the CB set or Bulky SD sets. While those sets are great, I opted to use the offensive SD set because it combines the power and utility of the CB set with the late-game sweeping ability of the Bulky SD set. Scizor has an easy time sweeping late game once Terrakion has weakened opposing physical walls.

U-turn might seem odd on a SD set but it's useful for when I need to use Scizor early game, such as against Reuniclus or Latios/Latias. U-turn allows Scizor to check them without turning into setup fodder, unlike Bug Bite. It's also great for scouting. Bullet Punch is usually the only move I use once I setup SD anyways, other than the occasional Superpower. At +2, Superpower allows me to 2HKO Skarmory (which is useful against Shed Shell variants that Magnezone cannot trap) and OHKO opposing Scizor. It's also great for nailing Heatran and Magnezone on the switch. Attack is maxed to hit as hard as possible. The speed EVs outspeed most opposing Scizor and some Jellicent while still remaining slower than Skarmory.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Swift Swim | Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Rain Dance
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Draco Meteor

Kingdra has been an incredibly underrated Pokemon ever since the Swift Swim + Drizzle ban. However, it ends up being the MVP of this team more often than not. Weather teams, especially Sun teams, are nightmares for weatherless offense teams like this. However, Kingdra can reliably take on any type of weather team. This set puts a ton of pressure on Rain teams because the permanent Rain makes it nearly unstoppable. Very few Pokemon found on Rain teams can avoid being 2HKO'd. Kingdra is especially important against Sun teams because Chlorophyll sweepers are difficult for this team to handle. Once Kingdra cancels the Sunlight, it's very difficult for Ninetales to come back in since it cannot switch in safely against most of this team.

Even against non-weather teams, this set is very effective at sweeping in general. It catches a lot of people off guard since they expect the more common DD set. Under the Rain, Kingdra outspeeds the entire metagame and Hydro Pump is boosted to a menacing 270 BP move. Dragon Pulse provides solid neutral coverage alongside Hydro Pump. Draco Meteor OHKOs all forms of Rotom and is great for scoring a huge hit before Kingdra falls. Draco Meteor isn't to be used recklessly though. It can be used in conjunction with Dragon Pulse to gain some crucial 2HKOs. For example, most Celebi and Jellicent are eliminated by a Dragon Pulse followed by a Draco Meteor.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Moxie | Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
    252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Salamence is my catch-all revenge killer and late game cleaner. It revenge kills things like Volcarona, Terrakion, Dragonite, Latios/Latias, and other speedy threats. Moxie is a devastating ability that allows Salamence to be an effective late game cleaner, especially if it manages to get a free boost against a weakened foe. Although the CS set is becoming more common, it still has a bit of surprise factor so I can usually gain a free boost against things like unsuspecting Latios/Latias. Salamence can easily clean up once Magnezone traps and removes opposing Steel types or after Terrakion weakens opposing physical walls for Salamence to finish off. Since Salamence has a Stealth Rock weakness, I try to play conservatively with it early game, only bringing it out if absolutely needed.

Outrage is the move I spam late game when cleaning up while Dragon Claw is used early game to prevent locking myself in. Earthquake and Fire Blast aren't used often but they are useful for revenge killing certain threats. I decided to use a Naughty nature over a speed boosting nature since there isn't much that Salamence can't outspeed with a neutral nature anyways.

Threat List

[​IMG] Landorus - The Scarf set can be a problem since it scores super-effective hits on every member of my team except Kingdra and Scizor, both of which don't like taking a sand-boosted Earthquake. Other versions aren't as difficult since Azelf and Salamence can easily revenge kill it. I typically use Azelf to see if it's Scarfed or not.

[​IMG] Rotom-W - Similar to Landorus, the Scarf set can be annoying. Luckily it doesn't outspeed Salamence like Landorus does. Other Rotom-W sets aren't too bothersome.

[​IMG] Starmie - The Life Orb set is very difficult to switch into, especially if paired with Drizzle. It outspeeds the majority of my team so it can easily come in and wreck havoc. I usually have to sacrifice something to revenge kill it. If it does have Drizzle support then Kingdra can revenge kill it.

[​IMG] Lucario - Double priority Lucario can easily sweep if it manages to setup. It can only do so on Salamence or Terrakion locked into the wrong move though. Thus, I tend to be extra cautious with them when I see Lucario in team preview.

[​IMG] Sun Teams - Heavy Offense sun teams are difficult to handle. Kingdra, Scizor, and Salamence are crucial when facing these teams. I can usually win if Kingdra can cancel the sunlight.

Importable (open)
    Azelf @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Ice Punch
    - Explosion

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon

Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Quick Attack

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower

Kingdra (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Draco Meteor

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Motagua

Motagua El Ciclón Azul

Solid team you got there. I would like to suggest some minor changes on your pokemon. Use on Kingdra an EV spread of 40 HP / 248 SAtk / 220 Spd. That´s enough speed to outpace Scarf Terrakion who is the most common one in the metagame. Use an Iron Plate on Scizor instead of Life Orb because you will find yourself beneficiating from its bigger surprise value. You wont feel the difference since you run full Atk. To end with, use Fire Fang on Salamence instead of Fire Blast. Although both are filler moves, if Steel-types remained on the field, you will benefit from Moxie boosts capitalizing Fire Fang´s physical hits.

Solid team overall and excellent form of offense. Hope my rate helps you out :).
  3. Bestow5000

Bestow5000

Wow, this is one of the few offensive teams I love. It's... Beautiful and solid. XD <3

Anyway, your Magnezone, I highly suggest you take away your Mirror Coat for a Flash Cannon. Trolling Ferro isn't necessary and plus, once they know you got Mirror Coat after you bounce back their Spikes or Rocks, they would not bother to try to use that move again and instead, they'll try to break your Sub while they still can, then once you kill Ferro or other Steel-Types, they'll send in some kind of sweeper to deal with you next, and that is where Flash Cannon comes into play. It works better to cover yourself and damage stuff like dragons with no part flying type, Celebi in rain team since Flash Cannon does better, and it would even do more than a x2 super effective HP Fire.

Furthermore, having Quick Attack is better than Earthquake for your Terrakion. I mean, who would dare be stupid enough to switch in a Toxicroak into a Terrakion with Earthquake once they know it? Lol. Plus, regardless if you have EQ or not, once you use a Close Combat and kill something, they'll send in Toxicroak either way and start bulking up, unless if they stupidly try to think their Toxicroak can resist a CB STAB CC. Quick Attack gives you an extra needed priority to kill something that has set up so much and barely survived a Bullet Punch from Scizor and maybe other weakened sweepers that'll still hurt your team like hell. I might be wrong with replacing EQ though, but that's just how I see things.

Hope that helps, and I still admire that offensive team of yours and cheers. :)
  4. toy Soldier

toy Soldier

Solid team man,

Salamense doesn't benefit from fire blast. With Scizor and Terrakion dealing with Skarmory. I think Scizor 2hkos at +2 with superpower and there isn't much what he can do to you. Maybe use brick break for dealing w/ screens.

I see chloro sweepers can beat you with a combination of sludge bomb, HP fire and grass STAB or Sleep Powder.

How do you deal with volt-turn?
  5. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Hey

This team really seems to be going in the right direction, but I think that there are a few things that could be improved upon. Practically there is no easy way to fix your threat list unless you want to replace a mon which seems unnecessary. To be honest, since majority of your sets are standard it clearly puts you to an early disadvantage. Bulky Nasty Plot Celebi with predictions is a major threat, it effortlessly sets up on Magnezone and Terrakion's Close Combat and Earthquake. From there it continues to wreck havoc thanks to its natural bulk and coverage. Swords Dance plus 2 priorities (Extremespeed and Bullet Punch) Lucario is an other big threat which again sets up on Terrakion locked into Stone Edge and Salamence into Dragon Claw. Calm Mind Latias with Hidden Power Fire packs the capability to decimate majority of your team barring Salamence and Azelf. To fix these above issues, I highly recommend switching Scizor's current set to Choice Scarf variant. With a Choice Scarf equipped, Scizor becomes a speedy revenge killer that can check an array of common offensive pokemon. With Choice Scarf and U-turn together Scizor outspeed and demolishes psychic-types such as Celebi, Alakazam, Latias, Latios and offensive Starmie. U-turn will also still play its normal role of keeping momentum, taking advantage of switches. Bullet Punch or Iron Head depend on personal preference as both of them are extremely beneficial in certain situations. Superpower is mostly for Tyranitar, Heatran, Lucario, Scarfty and Magnezone giving you a solid coverage. Aerial Ace is chosen for the last slot, it gives you insurance against Volcarona, Virizon, Toxicroak and Breloom. This change definitely benefits your team in the long run by eliminating huge chunk of potential threats. Its monstrous power will not be missed after you take a look at my second suggestion.

Choice Scarf Scizor (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Scarf | Technician
    Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    ~ U-turn
    ~ Bullet Punch / Iron Head
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Aerial Ace

For some minor changes you could possibly try Protect + Swords Dance on Terrakion. This suggestion may seem gimmicky at first but it really isn't. It overlaps the lose of sheer power Scizor provided with Swords Dance set. Its role should not be underestimated as it hits like a fucking truck after a SD boosted by Life Orb. Protect is the selling point on this set as it makes predictions much simpler. Terrakion is pretty prone to revenge killing by faster mons such as Choice Scarf Landorus, Rotom-W and CB Scizor. Protect allows you to scout your opponents move and act accordingly. Close Combat and Stone Edge are extremely powerful stab moves which punch holes in many well balanced teams. Life Orb and Swords Dance essentially make up the lose of Choice Band power. On Magnezone run Flash Cannon over Magic Coat since it provides you with perfect coverage which comes in handy while facing ground-type mons. Kingdra would really appreciate a spread with 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd, it provides small amount of bulk to take hits and allows Kingdra to outrun neutral base 80 speed mons before rain and +1 base 108 Pokemon (especially Choice Scarf Terrakion). Overall brilliant team, Good Luck!

Swords Dance Terrakion (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Terrakion @ Life Orb | Justified
    Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    ~ Protect
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Swords Dance
  6. Bribery

Bribery

Thanks for the great comments and feedback so far.

Responses common suggestions:

• For Kingdra's EVs, I'd rather use max speed just incase. It's useful for outspeeding Scarf Latios/Latias. Though rare these days, it's still something that could end Kingdra's sweep. I don't think the extra HP EVs prevent any significant KOs anyways.
    • Fire Fang and Brick Break are both viable options over Fire Blast on Salamence. I'll probably go with Brick Break since it has some utility with breaking Dual Screens.
    • I'll go with Flash Cannon > Magic Coat on Magnezone though I'm going miss getting those free Spikes against Ferrothorn :P

I prefer Life Orb on this set because it allows Superpower to 2HKO Skarmory. This is important since Magnezone cannot trap Shed Shell versions. Plus it gives an extra kick to U-turn.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments!

Hmm Quick Attack is a good idea for picking off a weakened foe like you mentioned. I've honestly never used Earthquake and Toxicroak is pretty rare anyways. I'll make the change. Thanks for the comments and feedback!

Yeah HO sun teams are a problem. They're one of the main reasons I opted for a Rain Dance Kingdra set as it helps a lot against them. Kingdra can RD on Ninetales which negates the sun until Ninetales comes back in. That puts me at an advantage because Ninetales cannot safely switch in to anything except Magnezone and Scizor. I'm mostly U-turning with Scizor and Magnezone is useless against HO sun teams anyways so I rarely send it out unless it's being sacrificed.

Volt-turn between Rotom-W and Landorus is annoying, as I outlined in my threat list. Only Scarf Landorus and Scarf Rotom-W are issues though. Azelf, Salamence, and Terrakion easily deal with non-Scarfed Landorus (and Azelf can scout its set) while Rotom-W is too slow to do much against the majority of my team. Scizor isn't an issue since I have Magnezone and it can't safely U-turn against anything except Azelf.

Thanks a lot for the detailed rate, your suggestions sound really helpful so I'll test them out. My main concern with Scarf Scizor is the weaker priority over my current set. Chlorophyll sweepers are a pain and Scizor's BP helps a lot against them. Plus, I'm not sure if it's a necessary change since most of the threats you outlined can't really setup unless I misplay. I'll give it a shot nonetheless.

The SD Terrakion set looks really promising. Protect should make it a lot easier to scout Scizor's move so I know whether to send out Magnezone.

Changes made:
    - Flash Cannon > Magic Coat on Magnezone
    - Quick Attack > Earthquake on Terrakion
    - Brick Break > Fire Blast on Salamence

Testing:
    Scarf Scizor & SD Protect Terrakion
  7. Warahyuu

Warahyuu

One of the better offensive teams I've seen lately. I think CB Dragonite would be better over Salamence. You lose a lot of speed, but you gain a powerful priority move and Multiscale. ExtremeSpeed could help with dealing with Starmie and Scarf Landorus/Rotom-W. Dnite also has better bulk so Sun teams will be easier to handle.
  8. Bribery

Bribery

Hmm that's not a bad idea, but the problem with Dragonite for this team is that it's really slow compared to Salamence. The priority is nice but otherwise it allows things like CB Terrakion to come in get a free kill. Dropping Salamence also makes me more weak to things like CM Latias. Salamence's speed is really invaluable for this team, but I'll give Dragonite a shot and see how it goes.

I tried Scarf Scizor and it wasn't really working to be honest. Its priority was too weak compared to my current set. Protect SD Terrakion was pretty good. I'm not sure which I really prefer though. The CB set has much more initial power but the SD set made it easier to predict and didn't create as many setup opportunities. I'll probably test it more when I have time.

Anymore suggestions?
  9. Dragontongue195040

Dragontongue195040

Another solid team I wish I had thought up of first.
    Tiny tip; you would want to use an Air Balloon on Magnezone, and replace thunderbolt with charge beam. With an air balloon, you aren't completely susceptible to ground types (mainly Landorus, though even with and air balloon you really can't do anything to) Charge beam allows you to 'set up' on ferros or foretresses or skarms.
    Hope this helped, though it wasn't much.
  10. Bribery

Bribery

Air Balloon could be useful but I don't know if I'd want to use Charge Beam over Thunderbolt. It's a lot less reliable. It's worth testing out nonetheless.

Thanks for the suggestions. ;)
  11. Bribery

Bribery

Using my bump.

I decided to keep CB Terrakion over LO SD. The power is too good to pass up.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)