Mienfoo (Baton Pass) 3/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Baton Pass
##########
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Swords Dance / Bulk Up / Substitute
move 3: Drain Punch / High Jump Kick
move 4: Knock Off / Taunt / Substitute
ability: Regenerator
item: Eviolite
evs: 76 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD
nature: Impish / Relaxed

Moves
========

Baton Pass cos baton passing stuff
Swords Dance is nice to pass
Bulk Up for defense as well
Slow SubPassing is cool for set up sweepers and such
Drain Punch is nice STAB
High Jump Kick is powerful if you want to take advantage of your own boosts
Knock Off provides good coverage and at +2 Knock Off+HJK is cool
Substitute can be used if not already using it to block status
Taunt is an alternative to block status and also phazing moves like whirlwind

Set Details
========

Eviolite is bulk
Impish /Relaxed to boost defense. Relaxed can be used if you want to pass slower to make sure the thing you're switching in is safe
11 Speed with relaxed still outspeeding porygon and other slow walls so you can sub/taunt before they status you
alternative offensive spread can be used with swords dance max Atk/Spe so you can try to sweep yourself before passing the boosts on.
Regenerator means you can heal up allowing you to pass boosts all game

Usage Tips
========
Bulky pivot, that can pass boosts the entire game.
can pass boosts easily on walls thanks to taunt/sub.
can set up on things like porygon and pawniard that it normally forces out
can live some SE moves like fletchling acrobatics so it can take a hit and baton pass to the incoming pokemon safely
baton pass can be used like u-turn
generally you want it to be slower than the opponent so it can bring the receiver in safely
if you have drain punch+knock off you can often sweep yourself late game with bulk and recovery in drain punch
if using faster spread and hjk the aim is to do as much damage as you can before coming across a counter like spritzee/foongus/trubbishand then pass the boosts on.

Team Options
========
fast, frail physical attackers love mienfoo, because it can boost them and get them in safely. stuff like scarf drilbur/pawniard/bunnelby/cranidos, carvanha, ponyta, taillow, doduo, aipom, all work really well

Last edited:

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mienfoo can also successfully run a Calm Mind SubPass set and pass into Gastly or Abra, pretty much guaranteeing something dies, so I think CM at least deserves a slash on the set.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fizz mienfoo, undoubtedly works better as a physical passer, as it can do damage itself with drain punch/knock off before passing the boosts on. however CM is certainly usable, and if it's not already in OO, i'll add it to OO when this gets to uploading.

not to mention that slashitis calm mind would cause

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm not completely sure on this, but I think the spread would be better as 76 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD. It might help get the pass off in a few cases:
236 SpA Abra Psychic vs. 156 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(20, 20, 20, 20, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)
236 SpA Abra Psychic vs. 76 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(18, 18, 18, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 24)
232+ SpA Chinchou Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
232+ SpA Chinchou Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
240 SpA Magnemite Thunderbolt vs. 76 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
240 SpA Magnemite Thunderbolt vs. 76 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
There might be others but I think you get the point
I went through the A-rank Pokemon and Scraggy's/Mienfoo's High Jump Kick and Ponyta's 76 Atk Flare Blitz were the most significant extra chances of KOs I could find by losing 1 HP, but all three dropped from 93.8% to 59.4%, which is still over half the time, so I think the 76 HP EVs would be better placed in SpD.

I'm not sure Taunt should be given a slash here. Phazing is largely uncommon in LC, and Substitute benefits Mienfoo's partner better in this case. The speed on this set also keeps Taunt from doing what you'd like it to do. For now, I'd give a mention under moves.

I'm also seconding Levi's suggestion.

My little cent. I know slashes are "dead right", but I'm not sure it's so easy to understand; e.g. Substitute appears twice. We have to keep in mind that QC threads will be for educational/user friendly purpose.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Switch taunt and sub in slot 4. Mienfoo is much better at stopping hazards and forcing switches, allowing it to set up something, and taunt is more useful than somyhing like a failed sub (aggressive play, not allowing setup). It just seems more solid having sub in both 3rd slashes. This looks good to go then

Usage Tips: I think it should be mentioned that you can use Baton Pass similarly to U-Turn and you don't always need to be passing a boost. Although it might seem obvious, maybe include that you should set-up on pokemon you threaten out like Porygon or Pawniard and that you can typically live any one hit from a check and baton pass through something like a Fletchling's Acrobatics.

Looks good other than that QC 2/3

make sure you discuss a fast spread to maintain your beating of pawniard

whenever i used bpass mienfoo i always used sub / pass / drain / knock with 196 def / 36 spd / 236 spe jolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)