Rock Slide
Poison Jab
Knock Off
Baton Pass
Swords Dance
Power-Up Punch
Bulk Up
Taunt

Ah, Mien. Once one of the UU's staple Fighting types, and it's popularity even caught on in OU as a powerful and fast hit and runner. 105 speed allowed it to outrun some pretty important Pokemon (Dragonite, Heatran and Lando come to mind) and HJK coming fro, a 125 Attack stat wasn't to be taken lightly. It's large movepool made several different sets open, but all of them hit like a train. 95 Special Attack is usable too in a lot of cases, allowing HP Ice to Deal significant Damage to Lando, most of the dragons and Gliscor, which would have otherwise forced it to pull out with U-Turn or Baton Pass. Speaking of which, BP sets with either CM or Swords Dance we lethal. Nothing without priority or a scarf could take it on. And that blessed Stealth Rock resistance meant it could BP and U-Turn all it wanted too. Gen 6 also buffed up it's coverage in terms of Knock Off. Now, it could threaten the likes of Jirachi and metagross. Regenrator made scout sets preferred, as it allowed any Lo or general weaker damage to be staved off for much longer. Overall, it was very solid and definable had a place in both UU and OU as something not to underestimate at your peril.

Not everything was ladies at the bar and strawberry creme love chocolates for mien though. Pitiful defenses meant that even resisted hits severely dent it, and even the mention of the words "Fairy", "Psychic" or "Flying" sends it packing back to Unova. While 105 Speed is adequate, it leaves it outclassed speed wise by Terrakion and Keldo. Both of which could actually take a hit in the meantime. Terra also massively outclasses for setting up, as unless mien could force a switch, SD'ing or Bulking Up was near impossible. The new Faries along with the prevalence of the Ghosts make HJK dangerous, and Drain Punch less likely to recover decent health. While it's coverage is decent, important Pokemon such as Talonflame (if lacking Rock coverage) and Aegi walled it massively, forcing new and niche sets to form that countered these threats but were unusable almost elsewhere, or simply bailing out.

My Set:

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk or Def
Hasty Nature
- U-Turn
- Knock Off
- Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
HJK is Miens most powerful moves, and will Punch (or kick) holes through teams lacking any decent counter. Drain Punch can be used to help with the LO if you'd like to conserve a little more, but the power drop is noticeable. Hp Ice makes Gliscor, Lando and other traditional walls feel a little more uncomfortable. Knock Off hates on any Psychic noticeably Jirachi which it couldn't do much to before without risk, as well as remove choice items, recovery from walls and generally piss of the opponent. Regenerator can help with any Missed HJK damage if the enemy hasn't already Ko'd you.

Choice Band / Scarf

Mienshao @ Choice Band / Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Poison Jab / Knock Off / Aerial Ace / Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Poison Jab / Aerial Ace / Rock Slide / Stone Edge

Designed for intense damage or blistering speed, this set brings pain to anything unprepared. The fighting STAB of choice is HJK. Drain Punch is pretty much for the wuss who can't take a little risk. the damage output for band is tremendous. On choice scarf, HJK is the ONLY choice, as the lack of band means you need the extra power to get those extra KO's. U-Turn activates Regen, clearing off any damage you may be suffering from, as well as scouting possible sets. The coverage is down to preference, although it's highly recommended to have Knock Off to at least one of it's slots. Poison Jab deals good damage to those faires expecting HJK, and getting a nasty surprise. The decent Poison chance isn't exactly a downside either. Aerial Ace is a little more situational. Mainly for those other Fighting types that pop up. Rock Slide / Stone Edge tick of Talon Flame on switching, as well has doing good damage to Dragonite and Salamence.

I will a calcs for both of the sets, I'm sorry I couldn't add them in straight away. They'll be there soon.

If you are not using Reckless, you are doing it wrong. If you use Reckless, you now outpower Mienshao's biggest competition, Terrakion, with High Jump Kick, as well as being more powerful than even Burned Guts Conkeldurr. Mienshao's niche lies in Knock Off and U-turn, which lets it act as a pivot and smash ghost types can would previously wall him, most notably Aegislash. It is also faster than M-Medicham, so it can outspeed threats like that M-Medicham can't. I think this is the best, and only set Mienshao should ever use:

Mienshao @ Choice Band/Scarf
Jolly/Naive Nature
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-High Jump Kick
-Knock Off
-U-turn
-Stone Edge / HP Ice

There is literally no other move that warrants use. You risk wasting precious coverage and utility if you do so. This set could work well with Mega-Medicham, similar to the Double Bird strategy. Mienshao beats psychics that wall M-Medicham like Reuniclus, Slowbro, Mew, and Cress, ghost types like Cofagrigus, Aegislash, and Dusclops, and faster threats like Garchomp and Manaphy, and others if using Scarf, like Lati@s, +1 Volcarona, Specs Keldeo, Scarf Genesect, and Mega-Zard (both). On the other side, M-Medicham beats Poison types like Amoonguss and M-Venusaur, as well as Gliscor and Landorus-T on sets that lack HP Ice, and Salamence and Dragonite on sets that don't have Stone Edge. Also, here is a neat calc:

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 354-417 (102.9 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 372-438 (108.1 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mienshao is not weak
Set by The Jaiho, thank you for your contribution.

Possible Checks / Counters

Virtually any ghost can wall sets lacking Knock Off. Dusclops, Cofgrigus and Aegi in particular. Switchign the correct pokemon into HJk can also be hazardous for it, but expect some decent dents in it's HP for the most part even with a resist, especially if going against band. Gyrados with Intimidate absolutely demolishes it with the exception of switching into Rock Slide / SE, the former still not OHKoing 100%.

Possible things to discuss:

is Regen still the No.1 ability to go for, or is reckless a great choice too?
How well can this thing do as a set-up sweeper?
Can it stallbreak too?

Conclusion: fast, hardhitting, frail. Story of every other Fighting type going. How can this one make a name for itself? Not sure, but it's still not going down without a fight.

Feel free to post your own sets, good ones go in the OP. Also feel free to give any suggestions or errors.​

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is much to discuss about Mienshao. It is not a bad pokemon, but it didn't gain anything relevant this gen. It is to frail to take advantage of the new items and there are other faster or bulkier fighting typs available who can even hit much harder. With the new Fairy Typs and the Hidden Power Nerf there is barely a reason to use it. U-Turn is the only reason one should consider in using it over other fighting typs.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I love Mienshao, but I'm not sure if it can really hold its own in OU anymore. Aegislash checks it well, Fairies resist its U-turn, HJK and Knock Off, MegaSaur walls it all day long, Azumarill says hi, and Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Staraptor, and Hawlucha henpeck it dangerously.

It has no priority (Fake Out doesn't count), no bulk, and is walled or checked by almost everything.

252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 216-256 (67.5 - 80%)

252+ SpA Aegislash-Shield Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mienshao: 240-283 (88.5 - 104.4%)

252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%)

I think that the important thing is this: Is Mienshao outclassed as a Fighting-type? Do Regenerator, U-turn, and Knock Off separate it from Mega Lucario? Is Conkeldurr just better? Mega Medicham has the elemental punches and Psychic STAB. Hawlucha is faster, and has useable Flying STAB moves. Does Tornadus-Therian outdo Mienshao in the fast Regen attacker role?

I thought I might mention that Mienshao's SpAtk is also usable, but there isn't really any advantage of trying a special set.

I guess a Cm set might be viable, but who wants to set up with Mien unless on a BP team?Mien actually does very well with BP, scaring out a pokemon, gaing a free sub before a boost or a Ko with HJK. But yeah, special sets are really want Mien is for.

Maybe it could run a Power up punch set. If I did my math right at +1 a Jolly Mienshao's atk would be 523. (assuming that it's max atk EVS of course)

You'd have to get the hit on the switch, but yeah sounds good. What move do you plan on giving up though? Mien needs all the coverage it can get, generally being outclassed by MegaCham, Mega Luke and Conk

I love Mienshao, but I'm not sure if it can really hold its own in OU anymore. Aegislash checks it well, Fairies resist its U-turn, HJK and Knock Off, MegaSaur walls it all day long, Azumarill says hi, and Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Staraptor, and Hawlucha henpeck it dangerously.
It has no priority (Fake Out doesn't count), no bulk, and is walled or checked by almost everything.

252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 216-256 (67.5 - 80%)

252+ SpA Aegislash-Shield Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mienshao: 240-283 (88.5 - 104.4%)

252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%)

I think that the important thing is this: Is Mienshao outclassed as a Fighting-type? Do Regenerator, U-turn, and Knock Off separate it from Mega Lucario? Is Conkeldurr just better? Mega Medicham has the elemental punches and Psychic STAB. Hawlucha is faster, and has usable Flying STAB moves. Does Tornadus-Therian outdo Mienshao in the fast Regen attacker role?
Mien can do a little better than that with some of it's coverage. Azu hate switching into poison jab, so it will be weary of that. lando and Scor dislike the hP Ice despite the damage drop off and HJk still scares out good portions of pokemon. I think you over exaggerated it a little, it's still useful and powerful, just a little more niche now. It's gonna be best used on BP teams I reckon, being one of the few legal passers that can OHKo pokemon on it's own if need be, and being able to regen itself after passing.

Torn prolly does outclass it as a Regen attacker, but it doesn't get all that much coverage either. Plus, it has no place with Baton Passing, and doesn't hit quite has hard (though extremely close, and the better mixed stats might be worth it)

I've been using a scarfed Mienshao on my team for about a month now with pretty good success. Obviously the main thing is taking out any opposing ghost pokemon before you attempt to sweep.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-Turn
- Knock Off/Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge

I'll usually run Knock Off unless I'm using another mon that is using it. You can often catch the oppponent off guard with it at least once. Stone Edge works well for super effective hits, but the accuracy can completely shift the battle in your opponents favor if you miss. He also works great if your opponent bring in Greninja. I've versed quite a few that have threw him into battle in a attempt to outspeed Mienshao.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
If you are not using Reckless, you are doing it wrong. If you use Reckless, you now outpower Mienshao's biggest competition, Terrakion, with High Jump Kick, as well as being more powerful than even Burned Guts Conkeldurr. Mienshao's niche lies in Knock Off and U-turn, which lets it act as a pivot and smash ghost types can would previously wall him, most notably Aegislash. It is also faster than M-Medicham, so it can outspeed threats like that M-Medicham can't. I think this is the best, and only set Mienshao should ever use:

Mienshao @ Choice Band/Scarf
Jolly/Naive Nature
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-High Jump Kick
-Knock Off
-U-turn
-Stone Edge / HP Ice

There is literally no other move that warrants use. You risk wasting precious coverage and utility if you do so. This set could work well with Mega-Medicham, similar to the Double Bird strategy. Mienshao beats psychics that wall M-Medicham like Reuniclus, Slowbro, Mew, and Cress, ghost types like Cofagrigus, Aegislash, and Dusclops, and faster threats like Garchomp and Manaphy, and others if using Scarf, like Lati@s, +1 Volcarona, Specs Keldeo, Scarf Genesect, and Mega-Zard (both). On the other side, M-Medicham beats Poison types like Amoonguss and M-Venusaur, as well as Gliscor and Landorus-T on sets that lack HP Ice, and Salamence and Dragonite on sets that don't have Stone Edge. Also, here is a neat calc:

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 354-417 (102.9 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 372-438 (108.1 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mienshao is not weak

Considering it's pre-evolution, (and not having this tested out), Mienshao is able to learn Quick Guard.
(For those unknowing, it's a move that cancels out priority moves).

Given this move, (+3priority), wouldn't this move be useful in battle? It might give up a move slot for offense, but most of the sets posted here don't really carry a set-up move.

So hear me out on this one:

It's common in battle to use priority moves right? Well, given the fact that Mienshao is quite frail, having only 60 def/SpDef, it is prone to fall to a good placed priority move by a 252 Atk/SpA sweeper.

A example would be Aqua jet. It's not a really common move imho (might be wrong here), but it might be able to take out Mienshao/damage it severly before it can actually do something. You might carry Drain Punch/U-Turn, but will that save you all the time?

Then, my second thought, and need needs some confirming. A Talonflame with Gale Wings pretty much makes flying moves PRIORITY. Would Quick Guard be able to stop it? Yes, it does. You could just switch out, but if you'd like to scout a move or 2..It can be used on your allies too! So it might be a good carrying for the double battles too.. So, even though he isn't much of a support mon, I'd still like to hear opinions about this move on Mien.

quick guard in pretty much specifically a 2v2 move. You don't accomplish anything in 1v1 by using it. Not to mention I have no idea where you would fit it. Fake out/HJK/stone edge/u-turn, pretty much no space for anything else

Generally speaking, Mienshao is pretty inferior to Infernape, who is also loosing popularity this gen. I will say however its coverage options and Regenerator are reasons to use it

@ The Jaiho

Mien can hit plenty hard without Reckless on the threats it really needs too. unless you can get a sneaky single Knock Off on Aegi, you ain't gonna keep it in much anyway. Regen helps scarfing and eases prediction somewhat. Though the power is tempting. I'll put that into the Op with your description.

While the Fire typing is great offensively, it no longer holds the SR resist, and is much more vulnerable to Scalds, so it isn't as effective a scout. And while it's STAB is reliable, it leaves it OHKo'd by everything you could ever think off. It also doesn't have Regen to stave of recoil. While Nape is generally a better Pokemon, they have different roles in the most part.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
@ The Jaiho

Mien can hit plenty hard without Reckless on the threats it really needs too. unless you can get a sneaky single Knock Off on Aegi, you ain't gonna keep it in much anyway. Regen helps scarfing and eases prediction somewhat. Though the power is tempting. I'll put that into the Op with your description.
I am going to have to disagree with you here. I personally find regenerator to be useless in practice, despite seeming good on paper. Mienshao literally has some of the worst bulk in all of OU (almost as bad as Aegislash-Blade), and almost any semi-powerful attack will straight up KO it. If it doesn't, Mienshao is usually at best at 60% percent health, so there is no way in hell it can take another hit. Without Reckless, it is also infinitely outclassed by Terrakion and Conkeldurr. Terrakion has the great dual-STAB, much better bulk, better speed, and earthquake for Aegislash. Conkeldurr has far better coverage, semi-reliable recovery, massive bulk, better attack, and Guts to take all the will-o-wisps that are flying around. Reckless makes Mienshao worthwhile to use, since it can now outpower both of these with its STAB High Jump Kick. When I use Mienshao, I am not using it for its survivability like Torn-T, I am using it for its immediate power and ability to hit extremely hard with its small but precise movepool.

I love Mienshao, but I'm not sure if it can really hold its own in OU anymore. Aegislash checks it well (losing 3/4ths of its HP is not checking), Fairies resist its U-turn, HJK and Knock Off (Not a single fairy isn't 2HKOed), MegaSaur walls it all day long (same could be said for a lot of Pokemon), Azumarill says hi (2HKOed), and Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Staraptor (outsped and OHKOed), and Hawlucha (Has a chance to OHKO after rocks) henpeck it dangerously.

It has no priority (Fake Out doesn't count), no bulk, and is walled or checked by almost everything. (List of Pokemon that do not have a chance to be 2HKOed by Reckless Banded Mienshao: Amoonguss, Mega-Venu, Tentacruel, Mega-Hera. This is not almost everything)

I think that the important thing is this: Is Mienshao outclassed as a Fighting-type? Do Regenerator, U-turn, and Knock Off separate it from Mega Lucario? (Use Reckless and no) Is Conkeldurr just better? (Mienshao is faster, and more powerful) Mega Medicham has the elemental punches and Psychic STAB. (Mienshao is faster and can be more powerful if banded) Hawlucha is faster, and has useable Flying STAB moves. (Hawlucha is a LOT weaker, has worse coverage, and relies on Unburden a lot) Does Tornadus-Therian outdo Mienshao in the fast Regen attacker role? (Don't use Regenerator)
comments in bold

quick guard in pretty much specifically a 2v2 move. You don't accomplish anything in 1v1 by using it. Not to mention I have no idea where you would fit it. Fake out/HJK/stone edge/u-turn, pretty much no space for anything else
I agree that it has no use in 1v1 initially, but considering it in 2v2 can be worthwile though. replacing fake out might now be the worst case scenario

And Infernape is faster (3 points makes a difference apparently), and has STAB flare blitz. There's a reason Infernape is OU, and Mienshao isn't.
Just like there's a reason Galvantula is OU and Keldeo isn't?
Usage isn't an argument, particularly now. Infernape doesn't deserve to be OU at this point either, particularly when Pokemon like Latias, Keldeo, and Thundurus are allowed in UU.

I used Mienshao a lot in BW UU, and it was fantastic with its Scarf set - I liked leading with it if i wasn't sure what the opponent would lead with due to its lightning-fast U-Turn being generally enough to switch to an appropriate counter. XY OU isn't really the best environment, though, particularly due to the sheer power of Ghost-Types, particularly Aegislash, this gen, and the existence of Talonflame and better momentum 'mons like Genesect, not that Hitlerbug has a high chance of remaining OU or anything, and the noticeable trend of the meta taking a bulkier direction overall.

Mienshao does have uses, however. Regenerator + U-Turn is a cool thing that Mienshao can do to preserve momentum without worrying about hazard damage or even Life Orb recoil if you decide to run that. Furthermore, the Knock Off buff is great, especially for Mienshao, whose greatest spam move says "ghosts plz shit on me," which means lots of mind games and even choice bluffing to smash those spectres to kingdom come, or at the very least make them lose their precious items.

tl;dr - While I don't think Mienshao will be OU, it definitely has a unique asset or two to carve out a niche, albeit a rather small one.

Just like there's a reason Galvantula is OU and Keldeo isn't?
Usage isn't an argument, particularly now. Infernape doesn't deserve to be OU at this point either, particularly when Pokemon like Latias, Keldeo, and Thundurus are allowed in UU.
Dude infernape isn't a bad pokemon. It's choice band set hits quite hard. Thundurus is in ou and its therian forme is bl. Latias and keldeo are most likely UU because of the fairy type and all these new special walls.

Edit: Infernape unlike Latias and keldeo is not weak to fairy.

Keldeo does not have problems with special walls due to its secret sword move or w/e its called. It's because perm weather/rain is much less common, notice that pretty much usage of ALL water types have gone down. Vaporeon, tentacruel, toxicroak, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)