Mighty Dragons, ARISE!

When I was young (like more then 16 years ago now, lol), I wanted to make a (mono)Dragon team. Lance was my favourite character from the Elite Four. His mighty dragons made me believe they could win anything. Yes, back at the day I really didn't know much about typing. So I didn't use Ice Beam/Blizzard on them.

I deceided to build a Dragon team, just like Lance. Unfortunate I could only get my hands on a Charizard and Gyarados early on. Later in the game I also got a Aerodactyl and Dragonite, but that was mainly postgame. In G/S/C we got more dragon types. Feraligatr, Kingdra, Tyranitar and Lugia joined my team. Unfortunate Lugia was considered a Uber, so I really couldn't use him. My team was really weak against Starmie as you can figure.

Actually lost interest in Pokemon during generation 3 and 4. But came back when B/W got introduced. Even bought a copy of Platinum when it was cheap.
Unfortunate Tyranitar was killing my team on its own with Sandstorm. BUTTTTTTTTTTT he (finally) got a Dream World ability. I've waited for this moment to come. His sandstorm is no longer a must and therefor actually making this team stronger(later on I figured Unnerve isn't really worth it).

I picked the best Dragon types I could come up with, while aiming not getting to weak against Ice. Kingdra, Gyarados and even Tyranitar(to lesser extend) can fight it. I could even try Milotic if everything fails(to bad Resttalk doesn't work well in the new metagame).

I realize this is still not a top team, but as long as it is fun, I'm willing to use it. It can be strong, as long as you can get used to it and prepare yourself for situations.
Hoping to receive many back-up posts on this, so that my Dragons finally can flee throughout the world.

Thanks in advance for your help,

SSJDennis

Altaria (Dragon/Flying)
Aerodactyl (Rock/Flying)
Charizard (Fire/Flying)
Dragonite (Dragon/Flying)
Druddigon (Dragon)
Flygon (Dragon/Ground)
Haxorus (Dragon)
Hydreigon (Dragon/Dark)
Kyurem-B (Dragon/Ice)
Latios (Dragon/Psychic)
Milotic (Water)
Salamence (Dragon/Flying)
Tropius (Grass/Flying)
Tyranitar (Dark/Rock)

[V1]

[V2]

[V3]

[V4]

LATIAS @ LIGHT CLAY
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
*Draco Meteor
*Healing Wish
*Light Screen
*Reflect
I am weak to Ice Beam! Ow really? Lets fix that. I never really knew this, but a Ice Beam without STAB doesn't hurt a dragon as much with a Light Screen up. It actually doesn't hurt at all, my Latias gets around 14% damage, which is like nothing. Also Reflect will help a ton against ANY Ice Fang/Ice Punch/Ice Shard. But I actually don't see those around anymore (not often that is).

If you spot a Salamence/Garchomp on your opponents party, cast Reflect first turn. If not, an Outrage might destroy this team. Life Orb Salamence/Garchomp isn't a problem, Latias will simply OHKO them. You can only challange ScarfMence/ScarfChomp if Reflect is already up. Latias will receive 60% damage from an Outrage, but will still OHKO them.
Later in the game I can still provide support with my Latias by using Healing Wish. It will function like a Full Restore in-game.

The attack of choice is Draco Meteor, simply because it can kill ANY Latios(or better said, ANY dragon that isn't Latias) with a OHKO, while he can't OHKO my Latias(you'll be left with 1% HP if Light Screen was up). Also, you'll (always) die if it has a Life Orb equiped, so scout first to be save(if it has a Life Orb, just use Garchomp to OHKO it, it will be faster). IF a Latios does carry HP Fire, you'll be able to pull off the OHKO before it gets to attack you. Without HP Fire it will be a speed tie, which might also fall in your favour (why doesn't have the rule; ladies first XD). Dragon Pulse seems more suited in most other situations, but it will not help you, if you need to get THAT OHKO on Latios. Don't forget a Latios with Dragon Pulse (and Choice Scarf) will easily rip through this team, if you don't have Latias with Draco Meteor.

ARMALDO @ EXPERT BELT
Trait: Battle Armor
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
*Rapid Spin
*Superpower
*Stealth Rock
*X-Scissor
Lately I've been facing many teams that rely on (Toxic)Spikes/Stealth Rocks, its never fun to keep on getting damage, while you could easily get rid of it. Unfortunate, there aren't many dragons that can use Rapid Spin. I figured Altaria or Shellgon could learn it, but I was wrong. Fortunate for me, Armaldo can. Even though he isn't a real dragon, he has a dragonstail and the wings, which is good enough for me.

Rapid Spin is offcourse the most logical choice. While he can also set up some Stealth Rocks himself. Espion is a nice counter to this, or at least, they think it is. With X-Scissor I can easily score a OHKO on them. I can do the same to any other Psychic pokemon. Expert Belt even lets me kill Latias.

Last moveslot actually was hard to pick. First I used Stone Edge, but it didn't work out well. I don't spot anything weak to Rocks often and if it is, it most likely is faster then Armaldo and will score a OHKO with his own rocks. So I picked Superpower. With Superpower you can easily score a OHKO on an incoming Tyranitar. Also Ferrothorn and Blissey don't like it.

GARCHOMP @ CHOICE SCARF
Trait: Rough Skin
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
*Aerial Ace
*Earthquake
*Fire Blast
*Outrage
I used to fight with a Haxorus or a Salamence. Unfortunte, both died against a Garchomp with Choice Scarf, unless they had used 2(!!!) Dragon Dances. Offcourse, I never get a chance to dance twice(and live it). So I figured I needed to counter this, by using my own.

Standard Garchomp, I think. Only the Aerial Ace might seem weird, but this is actually one of his biggest suprises throughout a fight. I throw Garchomp in the ring, they send in a fighter, figuring I will use Outrage. Now I use Aerial Ace and score an easy OHKO on ALL fighters. Also Venusaur will die to it.

Fire Blast is for the likes of Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor. Due too my bad special attack only Scizor can't live a hit. The other two are nice 2HKOs. Earthquake and Outrage receive STAB, which is nice to take down Heatran, Salamence or others.

KINGDRA @ LEFTOVERS
Trait: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SAtk / 76 Spd
*Dragon Pulse
*Hydro Pump
*Ice Beam
*Rain Dance
Swift Swim paired with Drizzle is broken, with Rain Dance it still hurts. Only it will cost me a turn to get it up. No problem, really. Just switch in into something that you can force out, like a Ninetales. Use Rain Dance and have fun. If they might switch in Venusaur first, use Ice Beam to kill it without ANY trouble.

I chanced the EV spread, so you can actually live one attack against a fully upgraded Cloyster (Shell Smash), you can use Dragon Pulse to score a OHKO against it. Only with near max HP it might live, but Life Orb recoil will still kill it after, so a safe OHKO. You could still take some special attack EVs off and put them into speed for a faster fighter, but you should use Draco Meteor for more power. I don't like switching to often.

Hydro Pump just gains massive boost through STAB and Rain Dance. Use it on anything that doesn't resist it. Kingdra will still be able to outspeed most threads in the Rain.

KYUREM @ LEFTOVERS
Trait: Pressure
Nature: Modest
EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spe
*Earth Power
*Ice Beam
*Roost
*Substitute
Nobody likes it when they face a 101 HP Sub. They can't even put some status on you, which is even worse. But what is scary enough to make it tricky to break the Sub? Yes, its Kyurem.

Pressures makes sure I can stall moves like Stone Edge, which now only can be used 4times, while behind a Sub I can recover my HP by using Roost. Also Leftovers make me hard to kill and while they try to break me, I will just use Ice Beam or Earth Power. Earth Power might also lower their special defense, which is even more annoying for them.

Blissey likes to come and break my Sub, but it will take two turns. I can easily create a new Sub by then, or just Roost of the damage before I spam Earth Power against it.

I've seen many forfeits when they got tired of my Subs coming and coming...

GYARADOS @ LEFTOVERS
Trait: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
*Bounce
*Roar
*Thunder Wave
*Waterfall
Don't you just hate it, when people tend to boost there moves, while hiding behind a Sub? I do. I needed something to Roar them away. Many options, but Gyarados has nice typing, while it can also safely switch in against many things(thanks to Intimidate).

Just get in and use Roar, easy. Or, if you pretend a switch, use Thunder Wave. Everyone hates it when they receive the PAR status. It will also make them much easier to be killed by the liked of Garchomp, or score a free Sub for Kyurem.

Waterfall and Bounce both receive STAB, while Bounce also let me handle Sucker Punch. No fighter likes to switch in against Gyarados when it is high in the sky. Waterfall is great against Tyranitar or Mamoswine.

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Light Screen
- Reflect
Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Substitute
Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Bounce
- Ice Fang
- Roar
- Thunder Wave
Kingdra @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SAtk / 76 Spd
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Naive Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
Armaldo (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello.

This is a really cool team, utilizing Dragons to sweep the opposing team, so I give you some props for that. Anyways this team is very well put together, but as with every other team, this one has its flaws and hopefully my rate can make it better. So, without further adu, let's get to the rate! Alright, first up, I suggest changing your Latias spread to a simple one of 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe over your current spread. This spread, like I said, is simple, the EV's maximize bulk, while making it speedy enough to set up screens quickly, which is always nice. Staying on Latias, I suggest that you run Reflect and Healing Wish over Recover and Safeguard, respectively. Reflect obviously helps weaken hits from the physical side of the spectrum, which is always nice. Now, Healing Wish may seem odd, but let me explain. If one of your sweepers is crippled and or weakened, Latias can use Healing Wish to heal them instantly. Moving right along, I suggest using a Rain Dance Sweeper set over your current one. This Kingdra set makes for a great way to combat rain teams, which may cause this team trouble. Up next, I suggest running Waterfall and Stone Edge over Aqua Tail and Ice Fang, respectively. Waterfall is an excellent STAB, which is much strogner than Aqua Tail, and has a chance to flinch, which is always nice. Stone Edge is to hit those pesky flying types that may plague you. Well, that's all I have to say for this team. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Kingdra @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Swift Swim

Nature: Mild - EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd​

- Hydro Pump
- Waterfall
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

I made some changes :) Latias gets his bulk. Not sure how Reflect will help, as not many of my pokemon are weak to physical damage (or am I not seeing it?) Safeguard has helped me alot against Toxic teams.

Changed Moxie to Intimidate. Also Gyarados got a Choice Band and new moves.

Not to sure about Rain Dance on my Kingdra. I want to use it as a counter, not help my opponent by getting up the Rain.

Healing Wish actually seems really decent. Never used Recover much on Latias, might aswell give it a go.

Thanks for your input.

Rain Dance will help set up a Kingrda sweep by increasing his damage and speed; and severely hurt non Rain teams.

Opening post is bugged >_> Can't make the introduction look "normal". Even when I delete the hide, it will still appear when I save, lol.

Changed U-Turn for Focus Blast. Even though 70% is horrible, I guess its worth the risk. Also still don't get Rain Dance to well. When will I use it? Also, both Waterfall AND Hydropump? Isn't that same, only with different power?

I learned back in G/S/C that it is always bad to use two moves of the same type.

Something I am missing there?

Also would like some feedback on Tyranitar and Dragonite. I have the feeling I'm not getting most out of them. They are most versatile parts of my team and I think I should change them, in order to make the team stronger.

Thing is, I have no clue how...

Change Dragonite a bit, but his moves are inaccurate. Thunder to teach Rain Dance a leason. But I miss Dragon Tail, which turned out to be a superb move while playing. No one actually did expect it, but there sweepers didn't think it was fun XD

A few problems i can spot with this team would be that
1. since this is a dragon based team, it is bound to have weaknesses to dragon and ice, but you have exactly 1 resist to ice, which is kingdra, and 0 resists to dragon.
2. You dont have a scarfer either, so that means that your team gets holes blown into it easily by either a fast dragon scarfer, or a freaking mamoswine and a few others.
3. I see a tyranitar, no raindance on kingdra, and thunder on DNite. explain please?

I would recommend a scarf salamence over gyarodos, and a magnezone over.. uh something (maybe hydreigon?)
If i try to change it furthur, it would turn out to be a full blown DragMag team, so yeah. Thats it.

3. I see a tyranitar, no raindance on kingdra, and thunder on DNite. explain please?
Tyranitar doesn't have Sand Stream. Why? Because the Sandstorm will hurt me more, then it will benefit me.

Kingdra was supposed to be a counter against Rain Dance/Drizzle teams. They should start the rain, Kingdra gets in and used to get a FREE Dragon Dance. Sweep afterwards. I changed the set based upon some ratings. I also deceided to give him Rain Dance, just incase.

Dragonite is almost the same as Kingdra, but got Thunder last update. Also to kill bulky waters during the rain.

I would recommend a scarf salamence over gyarodos, and a magnezone over.. uh something (maybe hydreigon?)
If i try to change it furthur, it would turn out to be a full blown DragMag team, so yeah.
Magnezone is a big no. Only dragons, or look a like dragons are allowed in this team. I am still considering Lapras as a semi dragon, but its a no, unless someone can convince me.

A Scarf Salamence over Gyarados would make my Ice weakness even bigger. Gyarados is Water/Flying, not dragon. Maybe lose out on Hydreigon/Dragonite for Salamence?

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your comments :)

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Man, i got your request, and i think that a monodragon especially in this kind of metagame it s a great idea. You told me that only dragon s are allowed so i have some advice to give you, let s rate it!

Well, first off, i can see a weakness to Dragon types revengekillers (You don t say? XD), if you want to make a good monotype, that could work in OU tier too, your first thought should be who make me 6-0? The answer in this case is pretty simple, a random scarf dragon. For example you have not way to stop ScarfMoxiemence or ScarfHaxorus, and the problem is not that you haven t a counter or check of them but that you have not way to revengekill too. Also you have a set of Latias pretty useless, because you are not running with a Booster that abuse of double screen or healing wish to setupp on a precise moment or opponent probabily pokemon.
So these are my main suggestions:

• You need to use a good Revengekiller, the Idea to use Latias like a Healing Wisher is really really cool and you can use it to give Free setupp fodder to some your pokemon that after we will see, but with this set is enaugh passive, and has not an useful role in the team. My suggestion is to give her Choice Scarf, in this way you have the faster competitive revengekiller of the Metagame. She allows you to win 1v1 with all the other Dragons with Choice Scarf, and also against an eventual Terrakion, that could be a problem sometimes, especially when your Kingdra is in HOKO range by one of his Stab moves. The Evs spread in this case necess to change, i suggest you to run with one of 4HP/252Satk/252Spd with Timid Nature, in this way you maximize your offensive power, the moveset could be Surf/Draco Meteor/Healing Wish/Psyshock.
    Draco Meteor is the main stab that you use to revenge, Psyshock and Surf mainly hit enventual Terrakion, Keldeo, Tentacruel or every thing that does not necess to be stricken by Draco Meteor, in this way you don t give the possibility to your opponent to have Free setupp because with two switches could be a trouble. As you can see i wanted to remain in Healing Wish, the strategy with a good abuser and with a good timing is a great idea.

• Well, from the moment you need to run with a Mono Dragon, and since with Tyranitar you could lose momentum while you re setting the Stealth Rock, my suggestion is to Replace it with a more offensive one, i mean Garchomp>Tyranitar. It allow you to set Stealth rock and in the same time you have a good pokemon that has the right offensive presence that you need, you are not free setupp for an eventual Terrakion or Scizor that force you to switch and abuse of it. The Idea is to run with a totally offensive spread, 252Atk/4Satk/252Spd Naive Nature and a moveset of Dragon Claw/Fire Blast/Earthquake/Stealth Rock. This moveset allows you to cover large part of the possible setter, especially Steel Types (Eq for Jirachi, Fire Blast to hit Skarm, Forretress and Ferrothorn too), Dragon Claw the stab that hit all the rest, in place of an eventual Outrage because you can t allow that it could be locked since is your setter. Now you have two chanches of Item, Haban Berry/Yache Berry, if you want a versatile pokemon that is not only a setter, but one that can enter in the middle game and do the difference thanks to his "Immunity" to some Ice or Dragon moves or Focus Sash, with this option you make a sort of "Lead" that should start your matches in 90% of them, but in my opinion the first choice is better, especially if your opponent use a spinner that is not Forretress, focus sash is made useless by a random Entry Hazard setter and an enter in middle game has more risks.

• Well now you have to change much sets of your pokemon but i don t want to change much more of them, because you already have changed and i dont want to confusion you. For example your Dragonite could abuse of Healing Wish of Latias, that in combination with his trait is a really fine way to setupp, especially when you take the momentum to your opponent. The set i suggest you is a standard Dragonite, with a moveset of Fire Punch/Extreme Speed/Dragon Dance/Outrage and an Evs Spread of 4HP/52Atk/252Spd Adamant Nature. In case your opponent dont run many stell types pokemon, and especially if you find against a common Rotom-W, is a good possibility to sweep. I suggest you Dragonite because is the best booster you have in the team and in case of a good electric type for example the above pokemon that can resist to Gyarados is a good alternative. The Item is obviously Lum Berry>Leftovers, this because you need to use Multiscale only to help you to boost and sweep the oppo, so lum berry it s more useful because negate an eventual status or help with the confusion caused by Outrages.

Well, sorry if the rate is not as you expected, but i have not many time.
Hope anyway i helped you and good luck with the team, i didn t change Gyarados because i consider it a Dragon and because in this team is really funny A_A.

Tl;dr

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Surf

Garchomp (F) @ Haban Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Hey there man, I got your PM so I'll give you a rate.

First of all, I agree with all Uomo Solo's advice, they are all pretty good so I suggest you to put on them. I have only a suggestion to give you, it's U-Turn > Earth Power on your Hydreigon. The only two reasons to use Hydreigon instead of Latios are 1) the resistance to Tyranitar and Scizor's Pursuit and 2) U-Turn to give momentum to your team. You don't need Earth Power because Heatran isn't a problem for this team (and you can hit it anyway with Focus Blast) and because Hydreigon can hit already the steel-types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory with Fire Blast. U-Turn otherwise gives you momentum which is always useful and it gives you a free switch in of your sweepers too and it helps with the setup.

That's about your team. Good luck, hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)