Milotic [QC: 0/3]

Found this while looking for a Milotic sprite. Couldn't help but upload this. n_n

[Overview]
  • Has access to a few new moves such as Dragon Tail and Scald despite having a shallow movepool.
  • Has Marvel Scale as a useful ability
  • Pure water tying leaving very few weaknesses besides electric and grass types
  • Has Recover to keep it from being taken down so easily
  • Stats are overall great besides Attack which it doesn't need
  • Ability to stall a foe due to its bulk also Recover and Toxic

[SET]
name: Defensive Beauty
move 1: Scald
move 2: Dragon Tail/Toxic
move 3: Recover
move 4: Ice Beam
ability: Marvel Scale
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Scald is its main STAB move allowing it to give foes a 30% chance of burning also crippling physical attackers.
  • Dragon Tail helps support hazards in the extra damage. It prevents sweepers from setting up and threats that oppose Milotic.
  • Toxic is used for stalling out foes while restoring HP in the process keeping itself alive as damage from poison increases each turn.
  • Recover is very viable in restoring half of its HP allowing for stall on either poison or burn.
  • Ice Beam gives coverage over grass, flying, ground, and dragon types; also 10% chance of freezing.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Leftovers is the most viable chosen item for the passive recovery it provides in assisting Recovery.
  • 248 HP and 252 Def maximizes defensives allowing it to physical attacks more effectively.
  • Remaining 8 SpD gives it a chance to wall special attacks supported by the 248 HP.
  • Marvel Scale boosts Milotic's defense to when it finds itself under status condition from Toxic, Wil-o-wisp, Thunder-Wave, and Rest.
  • Should be switched in upon being able to take a physical or special attack and being able to use Recover afterwards.
  • Marvel Scale highly gives defensive boosts but on the downside hinders and slows it down. In conclusion, it shouldn't be used to absorb any type of status move.
  • Dragon Tail helps get rid of stat boosters.
  • Toxic combined with with Recover and bulk makes a great combination together.

[SET]
name: Beauty Sleep
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Scald
move 4: Dragon Tail
ability: Marvel Scale
item: Leftovers
evs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 SpD
nature: Calm

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Rest activates Marvel Scale as a reward considering its a status condition boosting defense as a plus.
  • Sleep Talk utilizes Dragon Tail allowing for negative priority to be lost thus attacking attacking normally.
  • Scald is again Milotic's main STAB move as well as enhancing its ability to wall especially against a burned physical attacker.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Marvel Scale becomes more viable due to rest.
  • Its best to spread EVs to make its defenses more equal even though Marvel Scale isn't present at the moment.
  • Scald actually allows Milotic to handle any of the five major status and restore itself to full health.
  • Dragon Tail helps hinder the foes when combined with Scald especially against physical attackers making both attacks a awesome combination together.
  • Rest also gets rid of any other status problems such as poison, paralysis, and burn.
  • Leftovers again restores little HP every turn providing use in continuously taking hits while under RestTalk.

[Other Options]
  • Magic Coat can reflect status moves too but Milotic doesn't mind status most of the time.
  • Refresh can be used to ward off Scald Burns and Sludge Bomb Poison. But its inferior to recover.
  • Mirror Coat for double the damage from a special move toward the foe. Should have full evs on special defense
  • Haze works like Dragon Tail can stop it dead to prevent setup.
  • Icy Wind is a much weaker Ice Beam except it lowers speed.
  • Bulldoze can slow down a counter but not that useful
  • Hidden Power Grass helps against Water types such as Rotom.
[Team Options]
  • Snorlax pairs well with Milotic in being able to take electric and grass types very well.
  • Umbreon can preform the same tactic as Snorlax in taking damage and cleric support cures Milotic of any status condition, preserving its longevity in battle.
  • Hazards would support very well in conjunction with Dragon Tail for the extra damage.
  • Roserade is also a prime example in covering both Miltoic's weaknesses.
[Checks and Counters
  • Milotic indeed hates Clefable with Magic Guard and Calm Mind.
  • Lanturn and Rotom resists both ice and water types unless its Hidden Power Grass.
  • Taunt users like Sableye gets rid of Recover and RestTalk.
  • Chansey and Blissey walls special moves.
  • Thundurus breaks through its special wall with STAB Thunderbolt.
  • Trick users cripple its ability to use Recover.

Last edited:
Meh...don't really like RestTalk that much but its there for those who want to utilize the set.

I would say I'll be doing my part in assisting with the Gen 5 Analysis. These forums seem to have been forgotten since X and Y came out. Despite 6th Gen being released, doesn't we should all ditch this forum. We need more content and everything else here.

I guess I'm wondering why you think Milotic needs a revamp, since it does have an UU analysis onsite. http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/milotic

It doesn't have an UU RestTalk set, but I really don't think it needs it.
Only reason for me to make a ResTalk set is even though RestTalk is much more inferior than its standard Defensive set, players still go for the RestTalk set as it still had somewhat of potential of being viable. I'm surprised Rest is still used even up to 6th Gen for Milotic at this point hinting that its still have some reliability. Hmm...for the second statement after your comma, lets take a Pokemon from the X and Y analysis, Toxicroack. While there was a revamp for it already on the onsite, the moves are pretty much identical to each other besides the fact that Ice Punch was added as it was 5th Gen material and still now. The same goes for Toxicroack as there was an UU analysis onsite. Sorta confusing around the edges though. Well this is my first work on a Pokemon analysis so I understand what you mean kind of from my viewpoint. But I am glad I have a feedback on this. u.u

I really appreciate this a lot that I'm getting a review over this. I thank you kindly.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I think you're confused. The reason Toxicroak got a new XY analysis despite hardly changing from BW is because the metagame and generation are totally different.

BW UU changed with a couple recent bans, but I don't think it changed much for Milotic. Unless the analysis you want to write for the standard set offers something different than the one already on the Dex, there wouldn't be any point to you writing an analysis for it. If you want to add the RestTalk set for BW UU, then that's the only thing we'd accept, but the set would have to be approved by QC, and I'm pretty sure most of the current QCers are heavily against RestTalk sets of any kind in BW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)