Pokémon Milotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
competitive AV milotic sounds like the definition of "shitty gimmick" since it has no recovery and weak offensive potential without the boost. You might as well run 3 attacks+recover with a life orb and actually be able to do something when competitive doesn't activate. not like that 4th slot is doing anything coverage wise.

crocune was pretty potent, even in gen 4. that thing is hard to kill. I think the fact that water types simply can't get the coverage they used to with 2 move slots was the biggest blow to crocune(and subpetya empoleon)

Sadly I haven't used milotic yet but it really looks fun and quite bulky! I know this seems gimmicky but could you use a set with Flame Orb + Marvel Scale for a nice defense boost?

Sadly I haven't used milotic yet but it really looks fun and quite bulky! I know this seems gimmicky but could you use a set with Flame Orb + Marvel Scale for a nice defense boost?
Well that is what I would call too gimmick, quite stupid to be honest without trying to offend you. Lossing 12.5% of your max HP is never worth it on a tank, especially when you can run SleepTalk that gives you the same boost and the Leftovers recovery.

But personally Milotic is my favorite pokemon. I've been in love with it since I started to 6-0 my friends with it ^^

My experiences using Milotic so far (thank you random gts person for the feebas!):

Using Bold, 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Leftovers
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Scald
-Dragon Tail

First of all, Milotic is still amazing. Lots of burn being passed around, able to control switching with dragon tail, great physical and special bulk and lots of survivability. I never found myself lacking in attack moves either, and any water absorb pokemon could either be out-stalled or dragon tailed out. Her teamwork has also been great as usual, piling on damage with dragon tail/burn where they can be easily finished off by a moxie sweeper. I remember a battle where milotic only burned one pokemon but dragon tailed many times through the long battle and didn't take any out alone, but allowed me to much more easily sweep later on. And then there were those where I took out their electric attacker and milotic just walled the rest of their team. And I can't count the times I had to outstall some pokemon (vaporeon, togekiss, etc) which made the difference in the battle. Not fun, but necessary to win in that situation.

Now for the downsides: The main one is that scald doesn't seem to burn as easily as last gen. I remember using 7 scalds in a row and not getting a burn. Another problem is that the special bulk is rarely used. Milotic's weaknesses are electric and grass, which are the few things she loses to head on. The few times milotic got ko'd were by getting 2shot by a choiced EQ or some physical equivalent. Then it seems I NEED scald to burn or I die. A few times I had to rest immediately after getting hit to be able to survive 2 hits before resting again. A decent strategy to live one on one but not great for early-mid game.

My next thought is Suicune. I know he lacks on stats in SpDef, and Def while asleep, but I want to try Rest talk suicune now for a few reasons: The main one being that suicune has roar, which can go through subs (which rarely came up as a problem in battle testing) and through protect now. Also that suicune gets water absorb. Not bad at all. Going with bold and the same EV investment, suicune gets much more Def and a little less SpDef. This seems like it would be better because neither pokemon is going to stay in on, say, a jolteon or venasaur. And switching in on a physical attack gives an advantage to suicune (given both of their mediocre speeds). Calm mind sounds nice on suicune too since it can burn any physical pkmn that wanted to set up on it (after realizing roar isn't there) and can wall/reverse sweep and specials trying to set up.

Any opinions on Suicune over Milotic (assuming rest, sleep talk, scald, roar/calm mind on suicune) or some milotic experiences/advantages/disadvantages? I can't get suicune from any early bankers yet so idk. Somehow Milotic felt better/more reliable/survived better in earlier gens. Milotic seems more the team player while suicune seems more independent.

Last edited:
Running
Milotic @ Leftovers
Calm - Competitive
252 HP 252 Def 4 Spd

Ice Beam
Scald
Recover
Mirror Coat

Went for a mixed tank with interesting games. It's more for surprise than anything else. Good results though as it's stalling is great when mixed in a Toxic Spikes team. I thought Mirror Coat would be more standardized. Allows stay-ins on Electric as I haven't seen too much Volt action. Spamming scald when not healing is great for getting those steel-types burned when toxic spikes doesn't do it's job. I favor playing it with my Choice Scarfed Infernape.

Hey!

So, I have a modest milotic with marvel scale and can't decide on neither an EV spread or a moveset. I want to make use of the boost to stats that a modest nature provides, but I still want to keep him tanky.

I was thinking 220HP, 252Def, 36 Sp. Atk but I'm no kind of EV or Ideal Stats expert, so I was looking for some help.

As for moveset, I was thinking Scald, BLANK, Recover, BLANK. In the blank spaces I've considered Hypnosis, Toxic, Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Tail and so on.

I just wanna try and make him a spongy/durable sp. attacker, I guess, but am coming up short on how to get there, and wouldn't wanna leave him with no other utility/role.

Hey!

So, I have a modest milotic with marvel scale and can't decide on neither an EV spread or a moveset. I want to make use of the boost to stats that a modest nature provides, but I still want to keep him tanky.

I was thinking 220HP, 252Def, 36 Sp. Atk but I'm no kind of EV or Ideal Stats expert, so I was looking for some help.

As for moveset, I was thinking Scald, BLANK, Recover, BLANK. In the blank spaces I've considered Hypnosis, Toxic, Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Tail and so on.

I just wanna try and make him a spongy/durable sp. attacker, I guess, but am coming up short on how to get there, and wouldn't wanna leave him with no other utility/role.
Okay sounds great! If you want a spongy pokemon, I have found no better than Milotic. I would suggest running Scald and Recover, with Leftovers. Those are all good moves, except Dragon Pulse, and...maybe Hypnosis. The only reason I say that is that Ice Beam already hits Dragons hard and also hits other types (Flying, Grass, Ground) with SE. Grass is especially important, as it is one of your two weaknesses. Um...past that...consider Haze. And...yeah. Your EVs look alright but I really don't have the time to look up correct EV spreads but they look fine. Good luck!

Why hasn't the trap-stall set been mentioned yet? It is pretty awesome if you time it right:

Milotic @ Leftovers/Grip Claw
Calm/Bold Nature
Trait: Marvel Scale
::Wrap/Whirlpool
::Toxic/Haze
::Scald
::Recover

EVs and nature are up to your discretion, I personally don't bother curbing her Defense at all and switch out of physical hits.
The buff to wrapping moves let you take down nearly anything of your choosing. With a Grip Claw and Toxic, the only possible way they won't die before Wrap runs out is if they can spin, voltturn, or cleric on their own. The goal is to get something that would try to set up on her. Whirlpool is the preferred trapping move but is only available as an HM from HG/SS whereas Wrap is a level-up move. Toxic speeds up the process of death if you aren't running the Grip Claw but with a Grip Claw you could be safe to run Haze, in case something tries setting up on you. Scald is her best damaging move, with a chance to burn Steel-types.

First of all, this is my first post to the forum, and I'm excited to get started here, so try not to be overcritical.
The way I've been using Milotic is for more of an unexpected coverage wall. I've seen quite a bit of success with this set.
Milotic @ leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Modest nature
evs: 220 SpAtk 32 Atk 252 Def 4 SpDef
Toxic
Bulldoze
Ice Beam
Recover

With this set it covers all of her weaknesses and gives her the ability to chip away at opposing walls with Toxic relatively quickly. It's a bit more of a niche on my team, rather than a solo artist (for lack of a better term.) And works well if you have another water type special attacker on the team, personally I pair it with greninja.

First of all, this is my first post to the forum, and I'm excited to get started here, so try not to be overcritical.
The way I've been using Milotic is for more of an unexpected coverage wall. I've seen quite a bit of success with this set.
Milotic Leftovers
Modest nature
evs: 220 SpAtk 32 Atk 252 Def 4 SpDef
Toxic
Bulldoze
Ice Beam
Recover

With this set it covers all of her weaknesses and gives her the ability to chip away at opposing walls with Toxic relatively quickly. It's a bit more of a niche on my team, rather than a solo artist (for lack of a better term.) And works well if you have another water type special attacker on the team, personally I pair it with greninja.
Why do you have Ice Bean instead of Scald?

My favorite set is

Milotic (F)
Item: Leftovers
Modest Nature (252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Atk)
-Whirlpool
-Confuse Ray
-Recover
-Scald

This set aims to trap and status your opponent. Whirlpool is the obvious trapping move. Confuse Ray can give you openings and can help stack damage with Whirlpool and Burn. Scald is your main attacking move and can inflict burn. Recover gives you suitability.

Standard EV's gives you max bulk, Modest nature gives you a little more force.

Last edited:
Interesting set, but what will happen if Whirlpool misses? Also, confusion is very gimmicky and the side effects would render the Pokémon useless. What trait is it meant to have anyway?

Interesting set, but what will happen if Whirlpool misses? Also, confusion is very gimmicky and the side effects would render the Pokémon useless. What trait is it meant to have anyway?
Milotic should have enough bulk to try and hit the opponent with whirlpool again, but as with any pokemon, there are no certainties. Confuse Ray may seem gimmicky, but it works surprisingly well. Milotic should also have perfect IV's in its HP, Def, Sp.Atk, Sp. Def, and Spe.

Why do you have Ice Bean instead of Scald?

My favorite set is

Milotic (F)
Modest Nature (252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Atk)
-Whirlpool
-Confuse Ray
-Recover
-Scald

This set aims to trap and status your opponent. Whirlpool is the obvious trapping move. Confuse Ray can give you openings and can help stack damage with Whirlpool and Burn. Scald is your main attacking move and can inflict burn. Recover gives you suitability.

Standard EV's gives you max bulk, Modest nature gives you a little more force.
I use ice beam mainly just to cover its weakness to grass types. As I said, this set is more niche to use with my team, which already has a water type special attacker in Protean Greninja.

I was more attracted to the novelty value of Competitive, but now that I see so many Whirlpool sets here I have to ask: has anyone tried Rest/Talk sets with Whirlpool?

Milotic should have enough bulk to try and hit the opponent with whirlpool again, but as with any pokemon, there are no certainties. Confuse Ray may seem gimmicky, but it works surprisingly well. Milotic should also have perfect IV's in its HP, Def, Sp.Atk, Sp. Def, and Spe.
Simulators will give you instant IVs anyway. And Milotic's physical bulk isn't all that great. And I'm guessing you get lucky with the Confusions most of the time. Although I will admit that the set has potential.

Simulators will give you instant IVs anyway. And Milotic's physical bulk isn't all that great. And I'm guessing you get lucky with the Confusions most of the time. Although I will admit that the set has potential.
Lol, true. I do get lucky with confusion hax.

Here's a different variation of my first set.

Milotic (F)
Bold Nature (252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def)
-Whirlpool
-Toxic
-Recover/Protect
-Scald/Ice Beam

This set focuses more on damage racking than the previous one. Toxic and Whirlpool are the damage rackers and the main moves of this set.
Recover allows for HP recovery and is generally the superior option. However you can run Protect for stall for Toxic damage and Leftovers recovery.
The last move depends on what your team needs. Run Scald if you need Water STAB, or Ice Beam for Dragon and Grass types.

The EV's focus more on bulk, since Toxic and Whirlpool are doing most of the damage for you. Bold nature over Modest to boost Milotic's Def stat and the remaining 4 EV's in Sp. Def raise Milotic's special bulk just a bit.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Whirlpool is bad. Partial trapping in general is bad.

You have to take into consideration that your opponent will send in their best answer to Milotic as soon as you send it in. Whirlpool is utterly useless when you're getting forced out momentarily - what happens if your opponent sends in a Mega Venusaur / Rotom-W / Water-immune Pokémon on the Whirlpool? You get a tiny bit of chip damage and are forced to switch out, freeing the opponent from Whirlpool.

Whirlpool is bad. Partial trapping in general is bad.

You have to take into consideration that your opponent will send in their best answer to Milotic as soon as you send it in. Whirlpool is utterly useless when you're getting forced out momentarily - what happens if your opponent sends in a Mega Venusaur / Rotom-W / Water-immune Pokémon on the Whirlpool? You get a tiny bit of chip damage and are forced to switch out, freeing the opponent from Whirlpool.
Sorry, I should have specified that this set is for UU, not OU. Point taken.

You also didn't specify what trait it was. Unless you were implying that both could be used.
The trait doesn't matter. All the trait does is tell your Pokemon highest IV's in-game. On simulators, there are no traits. Milotic's IV spread should be 31-x-31-31-31-31, or if you're running Dragon Tail, 31-31-31-31-31-31.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)