Milotic

Milotic
Water Type
95/60/79/100/125/81
Marvel Scale: Provides a boost in defense when afflicted with a status condition/Cute Charm: 30% chance of causing "Attract" Status when a contact move is used on Milotic by a Pokemon of the opposite gender--to be fair, it's called "Intoxicating Body" in Japan.

Viable Learnset:
Level Up: Recover, Hydro Pump

TMS + HMS:
TM06 - Toxic, M10 - Hidden Power, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect,TM44 - Rest, TM55 - Boiling Water, TM82 - Dragon Tail , TM90 - Substitute, HM03 - Surf.

Egg Moves:
Confuse Ray, Haze, Hypnosis, Light Screen, Mirror Coat, Sleep Talk?, Dragon Pulse?, Tickle.

Platinum Move Tutor: Icy Wind

Okay, I really hate to say it, but Game Freak really must have something against Milotic because it gained virtually nothing this generation. Suicune gained Water Absorb, Vaporeon got Hydration, and Slowbro even got Regeneration. Marvel Scale, however, as always will be a very useful trait to have on a defensive Pokemon.

The few new toys Milotic (as well as EVERYONE else) got are Boiling Water and Dragon Tail. The first is a Water version of Lava Plume that has a 30% chance of burning the enemy and the second is a physical Dragon version of Roar/Whirlwind. However, luckily these alone should make Milotic at least a decent player in the lower tiers, and maybe even standard..

Milotic
Bold/Calm Nature
Evs: 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Speed OR 252 HP/252 Special Defense/4 Speed
Ability: Marvel Scale
@Leftovers
=/ Boiling Water
=/ Ice Beam/Icy Wind
=/ Hypnosis/Haze/Light Screen/Hidden Power/Mirror Coat/Toxic
=/ Recover

Milotic
Bold/Calm Nature
Evs: 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Speed OR 252 HP/252 Special Defense/4 Speed
Ability: Marvel Scale
@Leftovers
=/ Boiling Water
=/ Rest
=/ Sleep Talk
=/ Recover/Dragon Tail/Ice Beam/Hidden Power

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Troll (physical 60): Raises base power if other mons on your team have it.

Dragon Tail (physical 60): Forces target to switch (I believe it has a negative priority). Neither of the two look appealing to Milotic.

And WOW, Milotic really got nothing this time. Cute Charm? Really? The only thing that separates her from the other bulky waters are Confuse Ray, Recover and Marvel Scale. Perhaps a stall set like Toxic/Confuse Ray/Surf/Recover would be viable?

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Milotic seems outclassed by Mamanbou and Hydration Vaporeon. I still think he can be a good UU wall though.

GameFreak kinda gave her the middle finger with Cute Charm...

Boiling Water is probably the biggest aid to Milotic, who could probably use ot alongside a Calm spread to be truly threatening:

Milotic@Leftovers
Calm; 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD

Rest
Ice Beam
Sleep Talk
Boiling Water

Assuming that you burn something on the switch, you have a serious tank thanks to the SpD investment, while RestTalk guarantees the activation of Marvel Scale and ensures that you aren't relying on a burn to patch up your defense.

Troll (physical 60): Raises base power if other mons on your team have it.

Dragon Tail (physical 60): Forces target to switch (I believe it has a negative priority). Neither of the two look appealing to Milotic.

And WOW, Milotic really got nothing this time. Cute Charm? Really? The only thing that separates her from the other bulky waters are Confuse Ray, Recover and Marvel Scale. Perhaps a stall set like Toxic/Confuse Ray/Surf/Recover would be viable?
If Dragon Tail forces a switch everytime it hits, then it could be very viable on the Sleep-Talker set! Don't complain about it being physical if it's essentially just Roar that can do some damage.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
What are you talking about? Milotic is amazing in this generation with all of the boiling water flying everywhere. The best EV spread is and always will be Calm 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD. This beast can even survive a +2 LO Close Combat from Lucario after SR + Leftovers with Marvel Scale.

It does seem like Milotic hasn't gotten quite enough to stay competitive. Toxic getting more accuracy and Boiling Water looks like a great move for her. But her defenses just do no look up to snuff. Her Rest Talk set with Recover and Boiling Water seems like it would be a usable set, but I still have my doubts, we'll have to see. I know I'll be using her at first since she's my favorite water type.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
It does seem like Milotic hasn't gotten quite enough to stay competitive. Toxic getting more accuracy and Boiling Water looks like a great move for her. But her defenses just do no look up to snuff. Her Rest Talk set with Recover and Boiling Water seems like it would be a usable set, but I still have my doubts, we'll have to see. I know I'll be using her at first since she's my favorite water type.
WHAAT??!! Please tell me you're joking. With a 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD Calm EV spread, Milotic has 394 HP/384 Def/319 SpD with Marvel Scale up. That's more physically defensive than Max/Max Impish Skarmory! Milotic's Special Defense is already through the roof, surviving attacks like LO Zapdos' Thunderbolt after SR.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Boiling Water is an amazing attack for Milotic. Paired with Marvel Scale, it's high spdef, very good hp, and very good spatk, I can see it doing pretty damn well. I'd replace Surf with Boiling Water without a second thought.

I don't think I'd really take Hypnosis over Boiling Water. You can only burn or sleep a Pokemon... not both after all.

WHAAT??!! Please tell me you're joking. With a 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD EV spread, Milotic has 394 HP/384 Def/319 SpD with Marvel Scale up. That's more physically defensive than Max/Max Impish Skarmory! Milotic's Special Defense is already through the roof, surviving attacks like LO Zapdos' Thunderbolt after SR.
That's all good, but you have to remember this is a new metagame. One where people are generally assuming that walls and stall will be crushed underfoot of the amazing offense teams can through out there with the new abilities and Pokemon. I certainly don't know it will be like that, I do agree it looks the most likely until we get out there and test.

I just see other bulky waters doing much better than her.

Boiling Water is an amazing attack for Milotic. Paired with Marvel Scale, it's high spdef, very good hp, and very good spatk, I can see it doing pretty damn well. I'd replace Surf with Boiling Water without a second thought.

I don't think I'd really take Hypnosis over Boiling Water. You can only burn or sleep a Pokemon... not both after all.
People are forgetting how godly it is incapacitating a single pokemon with Hypnosis, which with Swimming Goggles is like 80+ Accuracy, right? Besides, Boiling Water is only 30% of the time and Sleep Clause means it'll see use alright. I think a more accurate Hypnosis and Boiling Water (along with Marvel Scale and Recover, what it had all along--seriously it didn't really need another ability) will be what propells Milotic out of obscurity.

Either Burn or Sleep is a great status to inflict, and Milotic can be played to use either at the player's discretion--almost like a double status user!

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
That's all good, but you have to remember this is a new metagame. One where people are generally assuming that walls and stall will be crushed underfoot of the amazing offense teams can through out there with the new abilities and Pokemon. I certainly don't know it will be like that, I do agree it looks the most likely until we get out there and test.

I just see other bulky waters doing much better than her.
I just don't believe that stall will be dead in the next generation. Many of the new sweepers are completely walled by SkarmBliss, Flame Orb Cresselia, and even Milotic with Marvel Scale up. The new shadow tag ghost will be annoying, but worst comes to worst, Shed Shell will be present on walls, like in Ubers.

As for the comment about other bulky waters doing better than her, what are you basing this on? Vaporeon doesn't have reliable recovery (Rest + Hydration can be easily exploited, and Wish + Protect takes up two moveslots which is unappealing for some teams), and it isn't nearly as sturdy as Milotic. Milotic will always have her own niche as a TRULY bulky water who abuses Toxic Spikes like no other.

Crocune doesn't have Recover, Marvel Scale, or if it works out, Dragon Tail! Okay, with Dragon Tail, Milotic FINALLY got the phazing move it didn't have over Suicune or Vaporeon or Swampert--congratulations! With swimming goggles, the 90% accuracy is definitely compensated for, too!
Edit: Crocune doesn't use Roar.

Milotic CAN Sweep if it wants to anyway, but you have to remember not all bulky waters fall into the same niche.

Milotic has always been my go to poke for UU and I look forward to using her again in Gen 5. Sure she didn't gain much but then she wasn't really hurting for much either (at least for me). Marvel Scale is such an awesome ability it's hard to find ones I'd take over it on her and her basic sets (Rest + Sleep Talk and Recover + Attacks) are just as good as ever (maybe better with the new water burn).

I'm really looking forward to trying her out in the new environment.

also finally we don't have to do alot of work to get milo in game any more we just get a item attach it to freebas and trade it to evolve it now.

Milotic is a good Wonder Room sweeper

With Swimming Goggles, it gets the speed and accuracy boost, and under Wonder Room it has 125 base special attack.

Hydro Pump spamming ensues

It was confirmed that rest now lasts 3 turns, right? That is something to watch out for since Grass Knot will still do massive damage to her and even if she does get lucky and sends the grass knotter out with Dragon Tail it can still come in and get another one off before she wakes up.

Has Swimming Goggles even been confirmed? Only a fool would leave her in on a Grass Knot anyway--the extra rest turns help Milotic because it'll leave more time for Marvel Scale to be active.

A shift to a more offensive Milotic could be awesome this gen.

Milotic@Swimming Goggles
Ability:Marvel Scale
Nature:Modest
EVs:4HP/252SpA/252Spe
-Hydro Pump / Boiling Water
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Grass / Hypnosis
-Recover

Milotics awesome Special Defense means that it can still Recover up on a good amount of Pokemon. People seem to forget that Milotic can hit just as strong as Starmie, but unfortunately her coverage isn't as good. Still, Water + Ice is pretty good especially since Hydro Pump has perfect accuracy now (iirc). I'd probably go with Hypnosis > Grass just cause I love it, and with the boost in accuracy now it's more reliable (and gives an edge over Starmie). The awesome thing is offensive Milotic can now run modest because with this spread it reaches 391 Speed! Take that Sceptile!

Yes. For the record my little bro runs a sweeping milotic with LO 252 Speed, Timid, 100 Special Attack and 152 Defense with Recover, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, And Surf. It KOs and outspeeds the standard physical and special non scarf Venusaurs that come in on Surf, then it KOs with Ice Beam. Recover allows it to break walls and it generally wins against other milotic. It essentially works like a UU latias outspeeding the metagame while being bulky with good defensive typing. With Swimming goggles and upped Hypnosis it will only be getter. Defensively It will now have plenty of burn to switch in on and a great partner named Nattorei whom only fighting type will break through the combo and it provides leech seed and may let Milotic be a special wall. Nintendo is literally middle fingering milotic with abilities and movepool and not giving her calm mind. If it had calm mind it could probably be the best water type. (though in low down ladder Cute Charm will be nice to abuse as most pokemon are defaulted male.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)