/

Resists:
(x.25)
Immunities:
/
/

Weaknesses:
/

Ability: Disguise - Once per battle, the shroud that covers the Pokémon can protect it from an attack.
Base Stats - 55 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 50 SAtk / 105 SDef / 96 Spe

Level Up
  • Wood Hammer
  • Splash
  • Scratch
  • Astonish
  • Copycat
  • Double Team
  • Baby-Doll Eyes
  • Shadow Sneak
  • Mimic
  • Feint Attack
  • Charm
  • Slash
  • Shadow Claw
  • Hone Claws
  • Play Rough
  • Pain Split
TMs
  • Work Up
  • Toxic
  • Bulk Up
  • Hidden Power
  • Taunt
  • Hyper Beam
  • Light Screen
  • Protect
  • Safeguard
  • Frustration
  • Thunderbolt
  • Thunder
  • Return
  • Leech Life
  • Psychic
  • Shadow Ball
  • Double Team
  • Facade
  • Rest
  • Attract
  • Thief
  • Round
  • Fling
  • Charge Beam
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Embargo
  • Shadow Claw
  • Payback
  • Thunder Wave
  • Swords Dance
  • Psych Up
  • X-Scissor
  • Infestation
  • Dream Eater
  • Swagger
  • Sleep Talk
  • Substitute
  • Trick Room
  • Dark Pulse
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Confide
Egg Moves
  • Grudge
  • Destiny Bond
  • Curse
  • Nightmare
Z-Moves
  • Breakneck Blitz
  • Savage Spin-Out
  • Never-Ending Nightmare
  • Bloom Doom
  • Gigavolt Havoc
  • Shattered Psyche
  • Black Hole Eclipse
  • Twinkle Tackle

Say Hello to the absolute safest switch-in in Pokemon history. Mimikyu is deceptive in more ways than just the obvious. Fantastic typing grant you a natural 3 immunities, meaning there are a plethora of attacks you can switch into and still maintain your Disguise on top of it. With additional methods of preserving your Disguise in the forms of moves like Substitute and Protect, it will make 55/80/105 defenses go much farther than they would on other pokemon. There are a few directions one could take Mimikyu in, both offensively as well as defensively.

Known Disguise Mechanics
  • Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam ignore Disguise.
  • Disguise will not trigger on entry hazard damage or weather damage.
  • Disguise does not block status moves.
  • Disguise will be used up if the Pokemon hurts itself due to confusion.
  • Weakness Policy will not activate if Disguise is activated when a Pokemon is hit by an attack.
  • When a Pokemon with Disguise is behind a Substitute and is hit by an attack the Substitute will take the damage and Disguise will not be used up.
  • Sound and Infiltrator moves don't bypass Disguise, but can bypass Substitute to break the Disguise.
  • Disguise does not prevent flinching from Fake Out or other secondary effects from moves whose damage it blocks. (You can still be burned by Scald for example)
  • Multi-hit moves like Water Shuriken deal damage after the first hit. Skill Link pokemon are very threatening to Mimikyu.

Swords Dance
Mimikyu @ Red Card/Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature Jolly/Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Facade/Shadow Sneak

As long as you have a Mimikyu with a Red Card in reserve, your opponent can not perform a boosted sweep (Outside of Mold Breaker). Any attack will do zero damage and they will be forcefully removed from the battle as you can feel free to set up Swords Dance. Ghost and Fairy STABs have great coverage overall, and then Facade is insurance in case the enemy tries to burn you, or you can use priority if you fear faster enemies. Otherwise Life Orb is really needed to make up for Mimikyu's merely ok Atk stat and low BP moves.

SubSD
Mimikyu @ Life Orb/Spooky Plate/Pixie Plate/Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature Jolly/Adamant
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak/Leech Life

Mimikyu forces switches. The combination of Substitute and Disguise can allow you to boost to absurd levels quite quickly, but also Substitute protect you from status effects which can still apply even with Disguise intact, as well as the secondary effects of attacks like Scald which, while won't do damage, can potentially still burn you. Air Balloon just adds an extra immunity to take advantage of.

Bulky Tank
Mimikyu @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Df / 252 SpD
Nature Careful
- Bulk Up
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw/Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave/Leech Life

So with plenty of opportunities to sit in front of the enemy, you can start to Bulk Up to pretty good levels with Play Rough as your main STAB. Leech Life has been buffed to 80 BP so its a decent attack to regain HP combined with Leftovers. Your naturally good defensive typing and SpD suffice as you use Bulk Up and WoW to protect yourself on the physical side. Either Shadow Sneak or Thunder Wave are an option to address the speed issue.

Stall
Mimikyu @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Df/SpD
Nature Impish/Careful
- Protect
- Substitute
- Toxic/WoW
- Play Rough/Pain Split

Protect and Substitute combined can help you maintain your disguise as long as possible. In the meantime, use Status and Pain Split to do your damage, Play Rough in case of Taunt. If using Pain Split consider minimum HP and maxing the defenses for maximum HP differential.

NOTE: While Z-Splash seems tempting for a +3 boost, as has been discussed in the thread it is utterly outclassed by Swords Dance and a LO in virtually all cases, so please refrain from bringing up Z-Splash for discussion.

Last edited:
Red Card is the item you're thinking of, not Eject Button. The latter forces you to switch, not your opponent.

I get the idea behind the item choice but it's worth mentioning that Red Card is a bit of a double-edged sword, since it's potentially allowing your opponent to swap to something more favourable that can deal with Mimikyu once its Disguise is down, and regain momentum.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
This thing looked like a shitmon at first glance but it's surprisingly decent. Total damage immunity for a single hit is tremendously hard for offensive teams to deal with, and it can actually accomplish some serious damage vs those types of teams thanks to its good attacking movepool + swords dance.

Unless Araquanid ends up stealing it, this things probably wins the award for surprise goodmon of Gen 7.

Red Card is the item you're thinking of, not Eject Button. The latter forces you to switch, not your opponent.

I get the idea behind the item choice but it's worth mentioning that Red Card is a bit of a double-edged sword, since it's potentially allowing your opponent to swap to something more favorable that can deal with Mimikyu once its Disguise is down, and regain momentum.
With Team Preview that onus is on the player to know when to send out Mimikyu and what threats there are still remaining. Doesn't change the general premise of having anti-sweeper utility.

Ema Skye

Work!
Thoughts on SubSD set?

If you can force something out, you're behind the Sub and with Disguise in tact. Then setup an SD while they break disguise.

This shit is so annoying. Love it. Try out Wood Hammer to smack the bulky Water-types.

If you'd like, use Ghostium-Z and watch this happen:

+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 109-130 (69.4 - 82.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+4 252+ Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 165-195 (105 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

SD, Toxapex comes in, SD again, then bloop, Toxapex is gone. That's impressive as hell imo. Getting to +4 is so easy with this thing. Come in on something it forces out, then SD as they switch, they can't hit you, so you get another SD. Its Speed is phenomenal as well.

Funnily enough, barring legendaries and UBs, only Ribombee, Lycanroc-D, Comfey, and Salazzle outspeed it from Alola alone. It's literally faster than Silvally.

Honest question for research purposes so I can add to the thread, do multi-hit attacks like Pin Missle break the Disguise and deal damage the same turn?

I feel like on the Bulky Tank set having Leech Life is...suboptimal? I mean yea it's reliable-ish recovery but it doesn't really add coverage and it's not STAB (as opposed to running Shadow Sneak AND Play Rough).

This is one of most irritating of there in the metagame. It makes it very difficult to attempt a sweep if Disguise is intact. It can force you out with redcard, burn you, paralyze or set up a SD or Splash. It has great typing to.

On SD sets, jolly is absolutely the way to go. Outspeeding all the mons from timid xurkitree to timid tapu lele is way too good to pass up (special mention to lele for being immune to sneak but still getting destroyed).

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thing is actually surprisingly good. Its base Attack isn't too impressive, but it can get an SDs up retty easily thanks to its ability. Heck, it cen even gen 2, at which point it's basically unstoppable. It's surprisingly tough to play around and can lead to painful mindgames.

For instance, say an Aegislash just killed something and your opponent sends in Mimikyu. If you stay in and attack, you risk getting outsped KOed by Shadow Sneak, and even if it does SD, you have to win an additional 50/50 and either KS on the Shadow Sneak, or Shadow Sneak on the second SD. Get one wrong, and you are in deep trouble since you have to either face a +2 or +4 Mimikyu. If you stay in and KS and it SDs, you are in huge trouble, since not only do you have to sack your Aegislash to break Disguise, but you still have to deal with a +2 Mimiyu after that. Switch out, and Muluyu can get an SD off and still have its Disguise intact.

Don't sleep on this thing becuase of its mediocre stats, it's a legitimate threat.

edit: Here's a replay showcasing exactly what it can do: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-479226477

Last edited:
Feel free to correct me, but I tought Fairy-Types resisted themselves? Because, up there Mimikyu only resists Bug.

This guy is surprisingly good as a revenge killer, and often straight into a sweeper.

I'm really not a fan of the Sword's Dance sets, I think Z-Splash is way better to get the maximum economy from your Disguise, and then it's often just a mere matter of Shadow Sneaking everything to death with some really respectable damage. That being said, Sword's Dance saves you a Z-slot, saves an item slot and you are far more likely to get two off in a row than with other pokemon, so depending on your team or its role I can see a clear advantage. It's really a matter of instant gratification versus flexibility, and whichever you choose will depend how long you wait until you throw this guy out.

You would think with disguise down it is weak, but with investment in HP you can tank more than you would expect - and what's more it has access to Leech Life, which is perhaps not the best coverage but when boosted x2.5 it's usually very efficient since you can leech on one turn and Shadow Sneak the next, whereas Shadow Sneaking twice will leave you with less HP for the same amount of turns (and won't hit normal switch-ins)

Very underrated this gen, though I can see he suffers quite a bit versus Toxapex so it's not surprising.

This guy is surprisingly good as a revenge killer, and often straight into a sweeper.

I'm really not a fan of the Sword's Dance sets, I think Z-Splash is way better to get the maximum economy from your Disguise, and then it's often just a mere matter of Shadow Sneaking everything to death with some really respectable damage. That being said, Sword's Dance saves you a Z-slot, saves an item slot and you are far more likely to get two off in a row than with other pokemon, so depending on your team or its role I can see a clear advantage. It's really a matter of instant gratification versus flexibility, and whichever you choose will depend how long you wait until you throw this guy out.

You would think with disguise down it is weak, but with investment in HP you can tank more than you would expect - and what's more it has access to Leech Life, which is perhaps not the best coverage but when boosted x2.5 it's usually very efficient since you can leech on one turn and Shadow Sneak the next, whereas Shadow Sneaking twice will leave you with less HP for the same amount of turns (and won't hit normal switch-ins)

Very underrated this gen, though I can see he suffers quite a bit versus Toxapex so it's not surprising.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect: 138-164 (48.7 - 57.9%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO
+3 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect: 133-157 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

There is absolutely no reason to run z-splash on this unless for some reason you REALLY don't want to take lo recoil.
Less power, you can only use it once and it uses a z-stone.

A better use of a z-stone is ghostium-z. That allows a +2 mimikyu to beat toxapex by shadow clawing then using never-ending nightmare (though it's unreliable, since you might get scald burned or they may baneful bunker your z-move). It's also useful for some extra power while revenging certain threats, as never-ending nightmare + shadow sneak is stronger than LO play rough + shadow sneak (though not by much) and it is a fair bit stronger than LO shadow claw + sneak

The "head" part falls over. It's pretty cute. According to its Sun dex entry if you look under the costume you die, so this is probably for the best.
Maybe Mimikyu pulls Curse by removing its costume for a moment?

I'm surprised it can actually take advantage of Disguise. While I hoped it would get some cool support moves (e.g. Stealth Rock) it is surprisingly good at racking up Swords Dances, and the fact it can actually forgo a Life Orb for a Ghostium-Z (thanks to its low Attack and low base power of Shadow Claw) makes it a cool lure. Ghost/Fairy is a really good offensive type as there's literally one fully-evolved Pokemon (Pyroar) that resists the combination, leaving it space to run Shadow Sneak. If only it learnt how to take advantage of the Light Ball...

And it's quite funny that such a bedsheet ghost is faster than the Pokemon it's trying to imitate.

I literally cannot decide the nature on this thing. The speed boost from Jolly is good but it also seems like it really needs that oomph from Adamant.
I am really loving stacking easy sword dances though.

Hey there, new around here so apologies if this sounds dumb, but could Mimikyu be a good Trick Room Setter? With Disguise and 3 immunities, Mimikyu can probably switch in and set up Trick Room without too much difficulty and has Shadow Sneak, so it isn't too affected by slower mons going before it.

Mechanics question:

If you are at 100% HP with both an unbroken Disguise and an unbroken Focus sash, does that guarantee you will survive 2 attacks? Or is there some other mechanic I'm missing that nullifies focus sash... because I think if it works, a sash Mimikyu could be a tremendous suicide lead mon with moves like Trick Room, Will-o-wisp, Toxic, Light Screen, Destiny Bond and Taunt to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)