Not open for further replies.
Minccino

QC: Corkscrew / --- / ---
Final QC: ---
GP: --- / ---

Overview
########

• Super cute.
  • Access to Tail Slap and Skill Link, a threatening combo.
  • Buffed Knock Off helps with Ghost switch ins.
  • Only reaches 18 max speed, missing a crucial speed tier.
  • Has only one move to abuse Skill Link with.
  • Very frail, beaten by all forms of priority.
  • Fighting types are prevalent, spelling doom for the chinchilla.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Tail Slap
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Wake-Up Slap
ability: Skill Link
item: Life Orb
evs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Tail Slap is the main move of the set, smashing most of the tier for solid damage when combined with Skill Link.
  • Knock Off provides an excellent coverage move, hitting Ghost Types which would otherwise wall Minccino.
  • U-Turn allows you to escape unfavorable experience and still deal decent damage.
  • Wake-Up Slap provides coverage against the Steel and Rock types which could otherwise wall Minccino's onslaught of Tail Slaps
Set Details
========

• Life Orb boosts the damage Minccino deals, and causes Tail Slap to become quite powerful.
  • EVs max Attack and Speed, with the remaining EVs placed in Def and SpD to slightly increase bulk.
  • Jolly is the preferred nature, as it allows you to outspeed Jolly Minefoo and KO it without risking a speed tie

Usage Tips
========

• Spam Tail Slap, as it is a powerful move that hits most of the tier hard.
  • Utilize Knock Off to hit Ghosts, while also removing there item.
  • Knock Off is an excellent move to use early on as well, as it allows you to weaken opponents, which is quite useful.
  • U-turn away if the match up is unfavorable.
  • U-Turn can be spammed as well, as it puts pressure on the opposing team.
  • Use Wake-Up Slap to break Steel types that would otherwise come in safe on Minccino.

Team Options
========

• As this set functions primarily as a wallbreaker, Set up sweepers such as Scraggy and Tirtouga make good teammates as they appreciate bulky opponents removed.
  • Larvesta and Spritzee are both good partners, as they can take Fighting attacks that would otherwise destroy Minccino.
  • Entry hazard support, particularly Stealth Rocks is helpful for netting KOs. As such Dwebble makes a fantastic partner
  • Chinchou and Mienfoo can help form a decent VoltTurn core.
  • Sticky Web can helpful as well.
  • Bulky attackers also are helpful in taking the priority attacks aimed at Minccino.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Tail Slap
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Wake-Up Slap
ability: Skill Link
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Moves are identical to Life Orb set
  • Once again, Tail Slap is mainly what you will be using.
  • Wake-Up Slap is for Steels and Rocks that would otherwise stop you.
  • U-turn is a very good move that allows you to scout.

Set Details
========

• EVs are identical to the Life Orb set, allowing Minccino to outspeed a large portion of the tier.
  • With a Choice Scarf equipped, Minccino's decent 17 speed skyrockets up to the impressive 25, outspeeding the majority of the tier, as well as more than a few Scarfers.
  • Jolly is not recommended, as Minccino needs all the power it can get, and is already impressively fast.

Usage Tips
========

• This set functions well as both a late game sweeper and a revenge killer.
  • Knock Off and. U-turn should be used early on, as they weaken opponents while also making it easier for Minccino to sweep late game.
  • Removing opposing Normal type immunities/resists should be your top priority.
  • If you predict a ghost type switch in, use Knock Off to give them a nasty surprise.
  • The above applies to Steel Types with Wake-Up Slap.

Team Options
========

• Teammates that can remove Steels, Rocks, and Ghosts are essential.
  • Drilbur makes a fantastic teammate, as it can provide Stealth Rocks, Rapid Spin, and Mold Breaker Earthquakes to smash apart the Pokemon that would otherwise stop Minccino.
  • Mienfoo can switch in on Rock and Steel types while also forming VoltTurn core
  • As this set will be switching quite a bit, Defogers such as Vullaby are appreciated for keeping residual damage away from Minccino.
  • Stunky and Pawniard are both decent teammates, as they can trap and KO Ghost Types with Pursuit.
  • Magnemite is a useful partner, as it can trap and defeat Steel types with Hidden Power Fire.

Other Options
########

• Substitute is a decent option, as it does allow you to avoid Sucker Punch, but Minccino generally has little room on it's sets to give up.
  • Minccino has a colorful movepool, including Thunder Wave and Tickle, but is too frail to pull of a supporting role.
  • King's Rock is a possibility, but is generally inferior to Life Orb due to its inconsistency
  • Protect could be used for blocking Fake Out and scouting, but Minccino rarely wants to give up any moveslot.
  • Aqua Tail and Seed Bomb both have higher base power than Wake-Up Slap, but do not hit steels and otherwise provide redundant coverage.

Checks & Counters
########

• Steel types make good counters to Minccino, but must beware of Wake-Up Slap. Ferroseed in particular is excellent, as it rips of a large portion of Minccino's health by simply switching into Tail Slap.
  • Priority users such as Panwiard, Meditite, Timburr, Croagunk and Mienfoo can override your speed and maime you with with their priority moves.
  • Faster Scarfers and Pokemon that reach 19 speed, such as Murkrow, can outspeed and capitalize on your fragility.
  • Bulky Rock Types such as Tyrunt, Dwebble, and Tirtouga can come in and set-up on Minccino, but must be wary of Knock Off and Wake-Up Slap.
  • Misdreavus can come in on Tail Slap and set up a Nasty Plot or cripple you with Will-O-Wisp, but again must take care to avoid the Knock Off
  • Fighting Types will tear apart Minccino if given the chance

Last edited:
Why not use Wake Up Slap? 90 BP with Technician and hits Rocks just as hard as Aqua Tail, and Steels too.
That is going in OO, as you can see this thread isn't exactly done lol
On the subject of why Wake Up Slap isn't on the main set, it requires Technician to hit hard enough, which means Minccino loses it's main niche of Skill Link Tail Slap. While one could argue that Tail Slap still hits hard with Technician, it just takes away from Minccino's main niche.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Wake-Up Slap has been buffed to 70 BP, so there is no reason to ditch Skill Link for Technician. Wake-Up Slap could use a mention somewhere since it does hits Steels.

Wake-Up Slap has been buffed to 70 BP, so there is no reason to ditch Skill Link for Technician. Wake-Up Slap could use a mention somewhere since it does hits Steels.
Oh sweet, I did not know about Wake-Up Slap's buff in power! In that case, do you think it deserves a slash on the set? With this increase, I feel like it could even be slashed over Aqua Tail, as it provides superior coverage.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh sweet, I did not know about Wake-Up Slap's buff in power! In that case, do you think it deserves a slash on the set? With this increase, I feel like it could even be slashed over Aqua Tail, as it provides superior coverage.
Aqua Tail doesn't hit much of relevance. The common rock types are Lileep (not affected), Tirtouga (hit harder by wake-up slap), Tyrunt (hit harder by wake-up slap), Cranidos (so frail, it's KOd by both), Amaura (hit harder by Wake-up Slap). The only thing you should be using Aqua Tail for is like Archen, so put it in OO and mention that it's primarily for Archen. Also, is there anything in particular you are hitting with Seed Bomb, I think that should probably be moved to OO as well. Wake-up Slap is just by far the best coverage move for Mincinno, hitting both Steels AND Rocks, hitting the most common rock-types harder (except Tirt, who has sturdy anyway), and KOing the big threat that is Pawniard.

Aqua Tail doesn't hit much of relevance. The common rock types are Lileep (not affected), Tirtouga (hit harder by wake-up slap), Tyrunt (hit harder by wake-up slap), Cranidos (so frail, it's KOd by both), Amaura (hit harder by Wake-up Slap). The only thing you should be using Aqua Tail for is like Archen, so put it in OO and mention that it's primarily for Archen. Also, is there anything in particular you are hitting with Seed Bomb, I think that should probably be moved to OO as well. Wake-up Slap is just by far the best coverage move for Mincinno, hitting both Steels AND Rocks, hitting the most common rock-types harder (except Tirt, who has sturdy anyway), and KOing the big threat that is Pawniard.
In that case, Aqua Tail and Seed Bomb are being removed from the set and will be placed in OO when I get finished with the rest of the skeleton.

Last edited:
Magnemite can be added to the teamates as it traps steels and kills them with hp fire, id say get a little for specific with the teamates in general
I didn't initially include Magnemite because it no longer traps Steels as effectively as last gen due to the Hidden Power nerf. Magnemites main niche nowadays is a powerful SturdyJuice set, but I can see where you are coming from, so I will add Magnemite to team options for the Scarf set

I'm not really knowledgeable of the new mechanics but i'm pretty sure magnemite cannot trap honedge so I guess you can say that

I'm not really knowledgeable of the new mechanics but i'm pretty sure magnemite cannot trap honedge so I guess you can say that
Honedge is rare and quite honestly not a very good Pokemon in my experience, so when I write up the analysis I may mention it, but it's not that big of a priority right now.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
FIRST SET
you only need 36 spdef evs. this means you also have 36 evs for def.
jolly as the only slash, unless you can provide calcs showing something that adamant kos and jolly doesn't. outspeeding and koing jolly mienfoo is very important, don't want to risk a speed tie

MOVES
remove 'last slot is filler', wake up slap is quite important for rocks and steels, particularly koing pawn
mention how knock off really helps it wall break, weakening its own counters and your teammates counters.

SET DETAILS
what kos do the spdef allow you to avoid?

USAGE TIPS
talk about how spamming knock off is useful early game

TEAM OPTIONS
ghost types aren't very good at switching into fighters, since most have knock off, wisp doesn't really aid minccino, remove this

SECOND SET
same about the evs

USAGE TIPS
also is a good revenge killer
spam uturn and knock off more early game, helping you sweep late game.

TEAM OPTIONS
pawn can also pursuit trap
mienfoo can switch into rocks and steels + voltturn core

OTHER OPTIONS
substitute beats sucker punch and is cool in general

CHECKS AND COUNTERS
mach punch and vwave most dangerous prio. give examples of prio mons: pawn, tite, foo, timburr, gunk...

faster scarfers or 19 speeders, e.g. krow. its kinda frail so scarfers usually ko it.

group ferro with steel types... must be wary of switching into wakeup slap though

qc 1/3

FIRST SET
you only need 36 spdef evs. this means you also have 36 evs for def.
jolly as the only slash, unless you can provide calcs showing something that adamant kos and jolly doesn't. outspeeding and koing jolly mienfoo is very important, don't want to risk a speed tie

MOVES
remove 'last slot is filler', wake up slap is quite important for rocks and steels, particularly koing pawn
mention how knock off really helps it wall break, weakening its own counters and your teammates counters.

SET DETAILS
what kos do the spdef allow you to avoid?

USAGE TIPS
talk about how spamming knock off is useful early game

TEAM OPTIONS
ghost types aren't very good at switching into fighters, since most have knock off, wisp doesn't really aid minccino, remove this

SECOND SET
same about the evs

USAGE TIPS
also is a good revenge killer
spam uturn and knock off more early game, helping you sweep late game.

TEAM OPTIONS
pawn can also pursuit trap
mienfoo can switch into rocks and steels + voltturn core

OTHER OPTIONS
substitute beats sucker punch and is cool in general

CHECKS AND COUNTERS
mach punch and vwave most dangerous prio. give examples of prio mons: pawn, tite, foo, timburr, gunk...

faster scarfers or 19 speeders, e.g. krow. its kinda frail so scarfers usually ko it.

group ferro with steel types... must be wary of switching into wakeup slap though

qc 1/3
Updated with your changes, thanks Corkscrew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)