Mindgames with Bastiodon! - An NU Warstory

I was on Showdown! trying out my new NU Volt-turn team on the NU ladder under the alt Catch me if you Can!. Lately, it has almost become boring, the opening game always starting out the same exact way, and little to no major predictions occurring. As such, I excepted nothing better when I came across this battler, but boy I was in for a game! Sadly, I forgot to ask his permission to warstory this, so I have edited out his name to Player X. The match is also quite long, but it was a thoroughly enjoying game. Enjoy!​

After the first occurrence, Leftovers, poison damage, and burn damage will be edited out. Nicknames have also been removed.
Damage from entry hazards will be included​

Try to Catch Me! joined.
Player X joined.
Format:
NU
Rated Battle
Sleep Clause: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned

Try to Catch Me!'s team:
/
/
/
/
/

As said before in the introduction, this is a Volt-turn team, focusing on keeping hazards off the field while also wearing down the opponent. Liepard serves as the Taunter of the team, while Jumpluff supplies Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Encore support. Braviary is running its standard Choice Band Set, Primeape and Luxray are running Choice Scarf, while Eelektross is running a Special Set.​

Player X's team:
/
/
/
/
/

Looking over his team actually tells me quite a bit. With Bastiodon and Roselia, it is clear Player X’s plan is to wear the opponent down with entry hazards, while walling with Munchlax and Alomomola. I am a bit worried, as both Alomomola and Misdreavus are problems for this team, the former only being beaten easily by Eelektross (Luxray CAN beat it, but Wild Charge recoil REALLY hurts), and the latter I usually resort to suicide killing with Braviary, even though its needs to take a WoW first.​

Battle between Try to Catch Me! and Player X started!
Go! Liepard!
Player X sent out Bastiodon!

vs.

Liepard is nearly always my lead, in every battle. He will almost certainly lead with Bastiodon. Liepard will simply Fake Out to scout for item, Taunt it, and then Thunder Wave. Proceed to U-Turn out. Works everytime.​

Turn 1
The foe's Bastiodon used Magic Coat!
The foe's Bastiodon shrouded itself with Magic Coat!
Liepard used Fake Out!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bastiodon lost 1% of its health!
The foe's Bastiodon restored HP using its Leftovers!

vs.

I literally gasped when I saw the Magic Coat. When does Bastiodon run Magic Coat! I have not been so terrified since Obama won his second term. Things will be interesting now, as I now have a mindgame to play with Bastiodon later in the game. I want Bastiodon gone as soon as possible, but that will require its Sturdy being broken, and the only things I have that can OHKO Bastiodon are Primeape’s Close Combat and Braviary’s Superpower. After this, I really need to replace Luxray's Ice Fang with Superpower. It will be difficult, but at least, due to my using Fake Out, he might be bluffed into thinking I don’t have Taunt.​

Turn 2
Liepard used Taunt!
The foe's Bastiodon fell for the taunt!
The foe's Bastiodon can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

vs.

With Bastiodon taunted, I am almost certain he will be switching, as, with Magic Coat, he likely has no attacking moves. I have two safe choices here: Thunder Waving or U-Turning. Because he has no ground types on his team, I opt to use Thunder Wave, due to the fact it will hurt, or at least annoy, anything that comes out. And it lets me keep Liepard in to Taunt.​

Turn 3
Player X withdrew Bastiodon!
Player X sent out Alomomola!
Liepard used Thunder Wave!
The foe's Alomomola is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

vs.

And the Fish from Hell is here. It is so slow it doesn’t really mind the Paralysis, but a free chance to attack this thing while it is immoblized will be most useful. Now, I am really glad I kept Liepard in, as Alomomola will likely be using Toxic or something. Taunt away!​

Turn 4
Liepard used Taunt!
The foe's Alomomola fell for the taunt!
The foe's Alomomola can't use Toxic after the taunt!

vs.

Liepard, as always, is doing perfectly. Paralyzing one Pokemon, keeping Rocks off the field, and preventing itself from being statused in only four turns? There is a reason Liepard is so high in usage. Anyways, it has done enough damage for now, and it is time to U-Turn.​

Turn 5
Player X withdrew Alomomola!
Player X sent out Skuntank!
Liepard used U-turn!
The foe's Skuntank lost 17% of its health!

Skuntank has arrived. I lack ground moves to hit it super effectively with, so I click for my Intimidate Luxray to come in, to hopefully force a switch, on which Luxray can also Volt-Switch out.​

Liepard went back to Try to Catch Me!
Go! Luxray!
Luxray intimidates the foe's Skuntank!
The foe's Skuntank's Attack fell!
The foe's Skuntank restored HP using its Leftovers!

vs.

One thing I notice is no Black Sludge, but it isn’t that important. Time to Volt Switch, to scout for his Luxray switch-in.​

Turn 6
Player X withdrew Skuntank!
Player X sent out Misdreavus!
Luxray used Volt Switch!
The foe's Misdreavus lost 19% of its health!

Without a moment’s thought, I send out Braviary. Having this thing go down will be great, since the majority of my attackers are Physical, and nearly all Misdreavus carry WoW.​

Luxray went back to Try to Catch Me!!
Go! Braviary!

vs.

Before I hit Brave Bird, I pause to think a bit. With that Bastiodon around, able to stop Liepard’s Taunt, I might need to save Braviary for a while longer. And its poweful attacks will be more useful for taking down his other Pokemon at a later. No reason to waste Braviary when it will be useful in luring out Bastiodon, especially if he overpredicts against it. U-Turn it is!​

Turn 7
Bravirary used U-turn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Misdreavus lost 11% of its health!

As Misdreavus stayed in, I need something that doesn’t really care about being burned. That limits me to Jumpluff, Liepard, and Eelektross. As Eelektross is needed to easily dispose of Alomomola, I need to decide between Liepard and Jumpluff. Jumpluff is weak to rocks, and is thus more likely to get worn down if (or when) Bastiodon outplays me, so Liepard is about to get burned.​

Braviary went back to Try to Catch Me!!
Go! Liepard!
The foe's Misdreavus used Will-O-Wisp!
Liepard was burned!
Liepard was hurt by its burn!

vs.

The burn really doesn’t matter, as Liepard’s job is Taunting and Thunder Waving. Speaking of paralysis, if Misdreavus has Heal Bell, it could cure Alomomola of it, and the free turns of Paralysis could give me an advantage. Liepard, do your job and Taunt.​

Turn 8
Player X withdrew Misdreavus (Misdreavus)!
Player X sent out Bastiodon (Bastiodon)!
Liepard used Taunt!

vs.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but I will gladly take it. He must of predicted a U-Turn, as Liepard can do nothing to Misdreavus. I question if I should U-Turn or Thunder Wave, but, when in doubt, U-Turn out!​

Turn 9
Player X sent out Roselia!
Liepard used U-turn!
The foe's Roselia lost 11% of its health!

I have some options to deal with Roselia. Braviary and Primeape can handle it, with Brave Bird and Ice Punch respectively, but Alomomola can easily take those attacks. I could send out Liepard, but Roselia’s Sludge Bombs really pack a punch. In the end, I decide to send out Eelektross, with its flame thrower and bulk.​

Liepard went back to Try to Catch Me!!
Go! Eelektross!

vs.

Since I run flamethrower, I decide to use good old cartridge strategy and hit the Super Effective flamethrower. Hopefully I can keep it from getting too many Spikes up.​

Turn 10
The foe's Roselia used Sludge Bomb!
Eelektross lost 32% of its health!
Eelektross used Flamethrower!
It's super effective! The foe's Roselia lost 37% of its health!
Eelektross restored HP using its Leftovers!

vs.

That is simply disappointing. I underestimated Roselia’s Special Bulk Eviolite gives it. That’s not even a 2HKO! But he seems not to be getting Spikes up, which I find odd. He must be trying to wear down Eelektross, identifying it as the only thing I have for dealing with Alomomola. However, Roselia and Skuntank are the only things he has with any offensive power whatsoever, so I opt to keep Eelektross in, relying on Leftovers for recovery.​

Turn 11
Eelektross lost 35% of its health!
It's super effective! The foe's Roselia lost 42% of its health!

vs.

At least I did more this time. Roselia is now sitting at around 20 %, within range of a Flamethrower KO, while Sludge Bomb has not been doing enough to KO. I predict a switch here, probably to something like Munchlax. As such, I hit Volt Switch. Worse-case scenario: Roselia gets a layer of Spikes up, or Eelektross takes a Sludge Bomb, and leaves Roselia at low health…​

Turn 12
The foe's Roselia used Rest!
The foe's Roselia fell asleep!
The foe's Roselia slept and became healthy!
Eelektross used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... The foe's Roselia lost 9% of its health!

Screw you! I completely forgot Rest was a viable option for Roselia, since I usually use Stun Spore or Sleep Powder instead. If I had known it had rest, I would’ve used Flamethrower one last time, and then Volt Switched out, but this will have to do.
However, there are some advantages to this. Now I can send Jumpluff out to do its job by crippling whatever he switches in, since there is almost no way Roselia will be staying in.​

Eelektross went back to Try to Catch Me!!
Go! Jumpluff!

vs.

My thought process for the next turn was explained when I switched. Though I predict Munchlax to be the Switch in, putting it to sleep will still be useful, as it has around a 33 % chance of doing nothing whatsoever, assuming it is Standard Munchlax.​

Turn 13
Player X withdrew Roselia!
Player X sent out Munchlax!
Jumpluff used Sleep Powder!
The foe's Munchlax fell asleep!

vs.

Munchlax switch as predicted. Time to do Jumpluff’s other job. Leech Seeding. A Roselia switch is possible, but I am guessing he will try to get lucky with Sleep Talk.​

Turn 14
Jumpluff used Leech Seed!
The foe's Munchlax was seeded!
The foe's Munchlax is fast asleep.
The foe's Munchlax used Sleep Talk!
The foe's Munchlax used Rest!
But it failed!
The foe's Munchlax's health is sapped by Leech Seed!

vs.

Hah! Luck is with me this time around. But Jumpluff has done its job, and it’s time to U-Turn out. Either he stays in with Munchlax, or he switches. Either way, U-Turn allows me to get in bring in the right Pokemon for the job.​

Turn 15
Player X withdrew Munchlax!
Jumpluff used U-turn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bastiodon lost 3% of its health!

Bastion has arrived! Sadly, Leftovers will mean its Sturdy is back. Liepard is now ready to take on Bastiodon for Round 3!​

Jumpluff went back to Try to Catch Me!!
Go! Liepard!

vs.

I need to get inside his mind. With his conservative play style thus far, I need to lure him in into thinking he is safe. Fake-Out is able to be used this turn, so no harm in using it.

Turn 16
Liepard used Fake Out!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bastiodon lost 1% of its health!

vs.

With that, I actually predict he will use Magic Coat again. I can’t use Fake Out, but Thunder Wave is a viable choice, as it either it will be paralyzed or it will be bounced at my Burned Liepard.​

Turn 17
Liepard used Thunder Wave!
Liepard's Thunder Wave was bounced back by Magic Coat!
But it failed!

vs.

OK. He can’t be using Magic Coat forever. I think he will be comfortable in setting up Rocks now. Can Liepard keep the rocks from coming up?​

Turn 19
Liepard used Taunt!
The foe's Bastiodon can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

vs.

REJECTED! I am really feeling happy at this point. I have been, for the most part, in control of the game. Now, I am guessing Bastiodon to be without an attacking move, so another U-Turn.​

Turn 20
Liepard used U-turn!
The foe's Alomomola lost 3% of its health!

I have some options here. Luxray and Eelektross are the only ones who can force the switch, or hit it hard with their STAB moves. Since Eelektross can beat it without taking recoil, Eeletross it is.​

Go! Eelektross!
The foe's Alomomola restored HP using its Leftovers!

vs.

My only viable choices here are Volt Switch or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt will OHKO, or at least nearly OHKO, but Volt Switch would only do around 50 %. I decide that Thunderbolt would do some damage to everything (Munchlax lost his recovery, since he is sleeping, so he can be worn down), and Thunderbolt away.​

Turn 21
Eelektross used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Munchlax lost 21% of its health!

vs.

That did a bit more than I thought it would do to Munchlax. But there is no way Eelektross will be able to break through Munchlax before it wakes up, so I Volt-Switch to something that can, at least, force Munchlax to sleep for longer.​

Turn 22
The foe's Munchlax lost 12% of its health!

OK. Munchlax is staying in. Braviary is a good choice for dealing with Munchlax, as Braviary won’t be forced to switch out if Skuntank tries to revenge kill it with Sucker Punch, like what would happen with Primeape.​

Go! Braviary!
The foe's Munchlax used Whirlwind!
Luxray was dragged out!
Luxray intimidates the foe's Munchlax!
The foe's Munchlax's Attack fell!

vs.

I considered sending in Luxray to handle Munchlax before, but I wanted to try to lure out Alomomola, so that Eelektross/Luxray can come in after the U-Turn. Oh well. Munchlax will not be staying in on a physical attacker, so Volt-Switching is the only real option.​

Turn 23
Luxray used Volt Switch!
The foe's Skuntank lost 19% of its health!

Skuntank is one of the few things keeping me from spamming Primeape’s CC to help batter down Alomomola, since I would be forced to switch on fear of Sucker Punch. Primeape hasn’t been doing a lot, and it has U-Turn to avoid Alomomola walling it.​

Go! Primeape!

vs.

I start wondering if I should just hit Close Combat and be done with it. If Alomomola comes out, Primeape can start battering it down with the Close Combats.​

Turn 24
Primeape used Close Combat!
The foe's Skuntank lost 67% of its health!
Primeape's Defense fell!
Primeape's Special Defense fell!
The foe's Skuntank used Poison Jab!
Primeape lost 76% of its health!

vs.

Skuntank stays in, but it did not take that Close Combat well at all. Of course, Primeape isn’t looking that great either. Most likely, it has Sucker Punch, and it will do proceed to KO Primeape.
But wait. I still have Luxray. Luxray can jump with, reduce Skuntank’s attack, and take around 25 % from the Poison Jabs, or jump in on a Sucker Punch, and then Volt Switch out. With no other plan, I decide to go for it.​

Turn 25
Primeape, come back!
Go! Luxray!
Luxray intimidates the foe's Skuntank!
The foe's Skuntank's Attack fell!
Luxray lost 26% of its health!

vs.

Where is the Sucker Punch? Is he trying to hide it from me, or does he does not have it? In any case, Volt Switching is my main option right now, as I believe SKuntank is in KO range of Volt Switch.​

Turn 26
Player X withdrew Skuntank!
Luxray used Volt Switch!
The foe's Bastiodon lost 15% of its health!

Wait a minute here. Bastiodon’s Sturdy is broken. Here is a chance to take care of the beast once and for all! I have two things, as said before, that can, for sure, can KO Bastiodon. Primeape and Braviary. Due to the fact Player X knows I have Close Combat on Primeape, but he might think I do not have Superpower on Braviary, though he probably knows I am Choice Banded. I have been doing a decent job predicting him so far, so he may predict the U-Turn. I really must take the risk.​

Go! Braviary!

vs.

My reasoning for using Super Power here was explained above. It’s not like Alomomola can really do anything to Braviary, or even Jumpluff for that matter, anyways.​

Turn 27
Braviary used Superpower!
The foe's Alomomola lost 32% of its health!
Braviary's Attack fell!
Braviary's Defense fell!

vs.

And the obvious move was obvious. But whatever. Onto switching into one of my electric types. It doesn’t really matter which one, as I will be Volt Switching next turn anyways, so Luxray it is.​

Turn 28
Braviary, come back!
Go! Luxray!
Luxray intimidates the foe's Alomomola!
The foe's Alomomola's Attack fell!
The foe's Alomomola used Wish!
vs.

Wish? A bit odd, but I suppose it works. Of course, no way in hell Alomomola is staying in, so it’s time to Volt Switch.​

Turn 29
Luxray used Volt Switch!
The foe's Bastiodon lost 14% of its health!

Gah. That Bastiodon. I see now why he used wish: to ensure Bastiodon would keep his Sturdy. I really have no other choice but to use Liepard, to attempt to keep the rocks from coming up. Can Liepard beat the dino for a fourth time?​

Go! Liepard!
Alomomola's wish came true!

vs.

With what I did last time, I wonder if he will just go straight up and try to set up rocks. Might as well go into a straight up Taunt, since this is basically coming down to do a guessing game.​

Turn 30
Liepard used Taunt!
Liepard's Taunt was bounced back by Magic Coat!
Liepard fell for the taunt!

vs.

NOOOOOO!!!!! Liepard has its own Taunt thrown right back at it, crippling it. My only real choice now is to switch into something else, and simply bash this thing with the most powerful attack I can: Primeape’s Close Combat.​

Turn 31
Liepard, come back!
Go! Primeape!
The foe's Bastiodon used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!

vs.

I died inside when I saw those rocks come up. I spent all game keeping rocks from getting up, and my Taunter just had to sit there and watch it happen. I didn’t even bother to U-Turn. Let’s see how he likes Primeape’s Close Combat! Sure he may switch, but Primeape will simply batter away mindlessly at whatever comes out.​

Turn 32
Primeape used Close Combat!
It's super effective! The foe's Bastiodon held on thanks to Sturdy!
The foe's Bastiodon lost 99% of its health!
Primeape's Defense fell!
Primeape's Special Defense fell!
The foe's Bastiodon used Toxic!
Primeape was badly poisoned!
Primeape was hurt by poison!

vs.

And I should’ve seen that coming, but what else could I do? At the very least, Bastiodon is weakened enough where everything but Jumpluff and Liepard should be able to KO, even Braviary’s Brave Bird. However, the switch to Misdreavous is now clear, so I have to switch into something. But what? With rocks up, I need to be careful with switching. I don’t have anything that can OHKO. Braviary MIGHT be able to KO with Brave Bird, but it would probably be crippled from the rocks and recoil. Braviary is still useful at this point, its Brave Bird the most powerful attack I have on my team. Only one thing to do.​

Turn 33
Primeape, come back!
Go! Liepard!
Pointed stones dug into Liepard!

vs.

I may have lost control of the match when rocks got up, but I can still predict properly at least. And I have a type advantange! Jokes aside, he knows Liepard cannot do anything to Misdreavus, and I don’t want it burning any of my physical attackers, so I decide to Taunt it.​

Turn 34
Player X withdrew Misdreavus!
Liepard used Taunt!
The foe's Roselia fell for the taunt!

vs.

Not even close to what I had in mind, but I am OK with this. Now Roselia cannot get Spikes up. What to do? Something is going to have to die here, if Roselia Sludge Bombs, which is likely, as they pack a punch. Both Liepard and Primeape are on their last legs. Liepard still has some usefulness with Taunt, on Munchlax/Alomomola, but Primeape will likely to be forced to switch much too often. Even with its Stealth Rock resist, Primeape will get worn down. Its poisoning is also not helping things. At this point, Alomomola can switch it, and probably KO it with Scald, even without defense drops. My only hope is that Roselia switches out so Primeape can get in one more attacks, since it outspeeds everything.​

Turn 35
Liepard used U-turn!
The foe's Roselia lost 10% of its health!

And Roselia stayed in, so bye Primeape. You didn’t do much, but you made that Bastiodon pay.​

Go! Primeape!
Pointed stones dug into Primeape!
Primeape lost 12% of its health!
Primeape fainted!

5-6

Bye Primeape, the first loss in the battle. You did well. Now something gets a free switch-in. I was against sending out Braviary before, but now I think it would be OK to bring it out. Brave Bird will cripple anything but Alomomola, which is almost 100 % going to come out, but he may predict a U-Turn and stay in.
I am starting to get a more clear idea on what he is doing. I knew this before, but I didn’t think it would be this effective. Alomomola and Munchlax synergize perfectly, and Roselia takes care of pokemon like Sawsbuck and Luxray (:() who can take their STAB moves from them. I know have to be constantly switching, and the hazards will take their toll on me. I see almost no way to win.​

Go! Braviary!
Pointed stones dug into Braviary!
vs.

And my thought process was outlined above. Hope he overpredicts, and stay in for the U-Turn​

Turn 36
Player X: I like your team. cool u-turn/voltswitch team.
Try to Catch Me!: Thanks. Nice playing around Liepard
Braviary used Brave Bird!
The foe's Alomomola lost 44% of its health!
Braviary is damaged by recoil!

vs.

And he didn’t, how sad. Braviary is not looking good at all. Player X and I exchange compliments, and I plot how to win. Jumpluff really needs to come in and start leech seeding, if only to force switches. The worst Alomomola can do to Jumpluff is Toxic, so Jumpluff comes in.​

Turn 37
Braviary, come back!
Go! Jumpluff!
Pointed stones dug into Jumpluff!
The foe's Alomomola used Protect!

vs.

And Jumpluff gets in for free…. But that rock damage…. Oh well. At first, I was going to Leech Seed, but he knows for sure I have Leech Seed, and I can’t use Sleep Powder thanks to the fact Munchlax is still around. He will probably switch to Roselia, unless he is worried about my fourth move (Encore… it would’ve been fun to encore him into Protect, but he is likely to switch this round). As such, I decide to U-Turn. Screw Rock Damage, but what’s a guy to do?​

Turn 38
Player X: I don’t know. I kinda got destroyed by it. you predicted me so hard :p
Player X: I really want my hazards up with this team
Try to Catch Me!: I noticed. Kind of surprised you didn't try to use Roselia to get spikes up
Player X: I’m stupid :p
Jumpluff used U-turn!
The foe's Alomomola lost 4% of its health!

With the information he simply forgot to put up spikes, I deal with the fact Alomomola decided to be a dick and stay in. I look over my team, and can’t really find something that is OK with taking rock damage… However, Liepard will die from rocks and burn, even with Leftovers, so I decide to sack Liepard: the opening game champion. How is that for shameful? Dying to the rocks you spent so hard to keep from coming up.​

Go! Liepard!
Pointed stones dug into Liepard!
The foe's Alomomola is paralyzed! It can't move!
Liepard was hurt by its burn!
Liepard fainted!

4-6
I am really starting to panic. I am getting very hard pressed to see how I can win this… I can clearly see Eelektross will be invaluable, but Munchlax takes almost nothing from its attacks, and Roselia is only 3HKO’ed by Flamethrower, and is has recovery. With nothing else to do, I send in Luxray, to try to nail SOMETHING hard with Wild Charge.​

Go! Luxray!
Pointed stones dug into Luxray!
Luxray intimidates the foe's Alomomola!
The foe's Alomomola's Attack fell!

vs.

Luxray is Choice Scarfed, which isn’t going to help hit something as hard as possible, but I still decide to simply hit Wild Charge. SOMEONE will get hurt.​

Turn 39
Luxray used Wild Charge!
It's not very effective... The foe's Roselia lost 32% of its health!
Luxray is damaged by recoil!

vs.

This is one of the times I wish I was Choice Banded. But Luxray’s Scarf set is more fitting with what I want for this team, so whatever. I was honestly hoping for more damage here. I want to save Luxray for later use, so let’s threaten it out with Braviary. Braviary is still likely to only get one attack, so I may as well bring him down into low HP.​

Turn 40
Luxray, come back!
Go! Braviary!
The foe's Roselia used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!

vs.

Spikes mean Luxray is now almost completely useless. Braviary is also on his last legs, and can only survive one more switch-in. At the very least, only Luxray is hurt by the Spikes, but it doesn’t help. The Alolmomola switch is clear, and I swap over to Eelektross. With this, Eelektross can get in a free attack on the Munchlax, and hopefully wear it down enough so I can KO it before it rests again, and Jumpluff can sleep something else.​

Turn 41
Braviary used U-turn!
The foe's Alomomola lost 19% of its health!

Thought process for the Eelektross switch above. I seem to be jumping the gun a lot this warstory.​

Braviary went back to Try to Catch Me!!
Go! Eelektross!
Pointed stones dug into Eelektross!

vs.

And why not Thunderbolt? Things need to be worn down, and Eelektross cannot constantly be switching.

Turn 42
A critical hit! The foe's Munchlax lost 36% of its health!

vs.

Ouch. A critical hit only does 36? But Munchlax has been getting worn down. That crit is haxy, but I am not complaining about it, as Munchlax is being a pain in the ass. At least it can’t get worse…​

Turn 43
The foe's Munchlax lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Munchlax used Whirlwind!
Jumpluff was dragged out!
Jumpluff restored HP using its Leftovers!
Try to Catch Me!: NO YOU STUPID MUNCHLAX

vs.

I literally screamed when I saw the whirlwind come out. Is that bad I am so invested into a child’s game than I scream when this sort of thing happens? Anyways, I still predict a Roselia switch, and U-Turn, as per usual. Worse, it survived with one freaking percent of HP left. How’s that for sad?​

Turn 44
Jumpluff used U-turn!
The foe's Alomomola lost 5% of its health!

Alomomola switching in on a grass type? What is this? Granted Jumpluff has no attacking move, but still, its the concept. You know the drill, Eelektross is here to kick some ass, and get leftovers recovery.
I start formulating my plan here. Luxray is useless for this match, and Jumpluff can only sleep things and leech seed, but he is switching around anyways. I am depending on my Braviary, who can only get in one Brave Bird before dying, and Eelektross, who is also getting battered. Looking over Player X’s team, he has a crippled Bastiodon (thanks Primeape), a 20 % Skuntank (Primeape again :D), his nearly full health Roselia, full health Alomomola, his Munchlax that just won’t die, and his Misdreavus. My only hope is to sweep with Eelektross, which is unlikely, but possible if I get enough leftovers recovery. However, Eelektross cannot do it alone. Braviary also needs to get in his one attack, probably on Roselia, but that will not happen. From there, Jumpluff can hopefully sleep something, and stall out with Leech Seed. Can I do it?​

Go! Eelektross!

vs.

I know Alomomola will switch out, but I desperately need the recovery. As such, I hit Giga Drain, praying to god he doesn’t send out Roselia, on threat of my predicting the switch and Flamethrowering.​

Turn 45
Eelektross used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... The foe's Roselia lost 4% of its health!
The foe's Roselia had its energy drained!

vs.

Barely any health regained, but every bit counts. I know have to force Roselia down into rest range, where I can then just keep battering away at whatever comes out when he switches.​

Turn 46
The foe's Roselia used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
It's super effective! The foe's Roselia lost 35% of its health!

vs.

Spikes? I suppose Luxray isn’t in the range where rocks will KO him, and he doesn’t want him to keep an attack in. But he is now in KO range of Flamethrower, so I decide to mix it up and Thunderbolt, for any switch-in.​

Turn 47
The foe's Roselia used Rest!
The foe's Roselia fell asleep!
The foe's Roselia slept and became healthy!
It's not very effective... The foe's Roselia lost 13% of its health!

vs.

Now he will have to switch into something else, but I do decide to flamethrower. Flamethrower has that burn chance, which will be extremely useful if it works.​

Turn 48
The foe's Misdreavus lost 27% of its health!

vs.

No burn because I suck. Misdreavus, who has done nothing before, is now putting me into a difficult position. It can use WoW to ruin my plan to use Eelektross to win. Simply put, if Eelektross gets a status problem, I lose. Braviary also needs to keep his one attack safe, and Luxray wants one last shot, so out with Jumpluff.​

Turn 49
Eelektross, come back!
Go! Jumpluff!
The foe's Misdreavus used Perish Song!
All Pokémon hearing the song will faint in three turns!
Jumpluff's perish count fell to 3.
The foe's Misdreavus's perish count fell to 3.
Jumpluff restored HP using its Leftovers!

vs.

Perish Song is an interesting choice. Jumpluff is at low health, but Leech Seed recovery and leftovers should be able to allow it get out of KO range from Misdreavus’ Shadow Ball, while also wearing down Misdreavus.​

Turn 50
Jumpluff used Leech Seed!
The foe's Misdreavus avoided the attack!
The foe's Misdreavus used Shadow Ball!
Jumpluff lost 26% of its health!
Jumpluff's Special Defense fell!
Jumpluff's perish count fell to 2.
The foe's Misdreavus's perish count fell to 2.

vs.

Unless I miss. That is unfortunate, as now Jumpluff cannot survive another Shadow Ball or switch-in. I want to use Jumpluff to sack it for a switch to Braviary, so I U-Turn out.​

Turn 51
Jumpluff used U-turn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Misdreavus lost 2% of its health!

No switch, sadly. Now I need to hope Luxray cannot survive the attack. Braviary is immune, but taking out Misdreavus is not important enough for me to sacrifice Braviary.​

Go! Luxray!
Luxray is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into Luxray!
Luxray intimidates the foe's Misdreavus!
The foe's Misdreavus's Attack fell!
The foe's Misdreavus used Shadow Ball!
Luxray lost 27% of its health!
Luxray fainted!
The foe's Misdreavus's perish count fell to 1.

3-6

Things are extremely grim. I lose hope for sacking Jumpluff, and send it out. It really doesn’t matter, in the long run.​

Go! Jumpluff!
Jumpluff fainted!

2-6

Eelektross! Counting on you here. My only hope is to wear everything down, as said before, and finish with a display of Braviary’s power.​

Go! Eelektross!

vs.

No reason not to Thunderbolt here, as a Flamethrower would only serve to hit Roselia, while Giga Drain won’t do enough to the things I need to hurt.​

Turn 52
Player X withdrew Misdreavus!
The foe's Munchlax lost 1% of its health!
The foe's Munchlax fainted!

vs.

2-5

At least that thing is finally dead. Now Skuntank is looking me down. However, Skuntank really does not pack a punch, and Thunderbolt should KO with no problem -​

Turn 52
Eelektross lost 27% of its health!
Eelektross was poisoned!
The foe's Skuntank lost 22% of its health!
The foe's Skuntank fainted!
Eelektross was hurt by poison!
Player X sent out Roselia (Roselia)!
Try to Catch Me!: Damn poison. There goes my chance of winnning

vs.

2-4

And then all my hopes crashed and burned. Darn that Skuntank! It goes down, but it that 30 % poison chance lost me the game for sure. There is no way Eelektross can do his sweep now.
I took another look at this team. I didn’t ask, but I am guessing Skuntank is serving as a bulky poison jabber, whose job it is to inflict regular poison (which is more useful than people think), while also wearing down the target. I justified the poisoning from the fact Eelektross and Luxray have both been taking Roselia’s and Skuntank’s Sludge Bombs and Poison jabs, respectively, and the poison chance did not occur. In any case, I decide to end big, with Braviary’s Brave Bird!​

Turn 53
The foe's Roselia used Giga Drain!
Eelektross lost 25% of its health!
Eelektross had its energy drained!
It's not very effective... The foe's Roselia lost 11% of its health!
Go! Braviary!

Braviary used Brave Bird!
It's super effective! The foe's Roselia lost 89% of its health!
Braviary is damaged by recoil!
The foe's Roselia fainted!
Braviary fainted!

1-3

Try to Catch Me!: GG
Player X: gg
Player X: long ass match

Go! Eelektross!
Pointed stones dug into Eelektross

0-3
Eelektross fainted!
Player X won the battle!

It may seem the battle was one sided, but I honestly think I stood a chance (albeit a small one) if the poisoning had not occurred. Thanks to player X for a good match!​

MVP:​

I had a hard time deciding between two of my Pokemon, but eventually decided on Liepard. The other candidate was Eelektross, but Liepard won it over due to her usefulness in the early game. Without her, things would’ve been even uglier​

Props:
Bastiodon for being a pain in the neck to deal with.
Munchlax, for surviving for as long as he needed to
Alomomola, for walling something whenever it came out
Eelektross, for valiant effort to win the battle
Player X, for making the simple plays, and not over-predicting​

Slops:
Me for constantly over-predicting
Misdreavus, for not really doing anything. Sure it killed Luxray, but Luxray would not have changed anything.
Jumpluff for doing nothing but putting Munchlax to sleep. Didn’t even hit with Leech Seed D:​

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interesting warstory! However, I'd like to make a few comments, if you don't mind.

In general warstories should be exciting where both players play relatively well in terms of prediction, making the right moves at the right times and generally offer something people could be interested in reading (and close in general, too). With 10 turns dedicated to trying to stop Bastiodon from setting up SR and and trying to break its Sturdy it isn't too interesting - as Bastiodon in general poses no real threat other than being annoying to take down.

Turns where your knowledge is questioned doesn't really make for exciting commentary - like on the underestimating Roselia's special bulk, for example. In terms of battling, when a stall-based team forgets to set up layers of Spikes when it has the chance doesn't really make for an exciting battle to read about. While it certainly may have been an exciting battle to you, it's also important to consider how people will actually react to it when reading it - whether people will actually get something from it. It's also generally better to show battles which show a demonstration of your skill rather than your (or your opponents) lack of knowledge/misplays.

By these comments I mean nothing whatsoever against you, but rather just a few things to keep in mind (and help you improve) when making future warstories. For the most part, the idea behind your team is good though. :)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I actually enjoyed the warstory. VoltTurn is very entertaining to watch and while this warstory wasnt the best battle ever, I still liked the mind games

Little tip though, maybe every 10 turns or so you should pause a little to let us see the team's status. It makes it easier for us to follow.

I think I battled against the same guy yesterday, but I forgot his/her usermame...:S

Anyway, nice warstory and good team ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)