1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Minecraft

Discussion in 'The Great Library' started by Layell, Nov 14, 2010.

?

What day should we fight the Ender Dragon?

1. Sat, Dec 15

33 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Sun, Dec 16

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Sat, Dec 22

37 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Sun, Dec 23

28 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. Sat, Dec 29

39 vote(s)
    40.2%
  6. Sun, Dec 30

53 vote(s)
    54.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Peter Gabriel too!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

New server IP: 50.136.201.9

Maybe you haven’t heard but Minecraft is this little game that has over 8 million users now. You start out alone near a village with inhabitants that aren’t exactly human. You start punching trees and building shacks to be protected at night form all sorts of baddies, soon you will find yourself with castles stretched to the skies and portals to other worlds. Minecraft was one of the highest selling games in beta. This thread will be for general Minecraft discussion as well as organizing events.

If you're just interested in trying it out here is a demo

As a rule we would like to encourage discussion in this thread over simple game questions. Basic crafting guides and how to build some machines can be found on the Minecraft wiki here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki

Servers we sometimes play on:

OOSOS Server: 24.130.107.171 A game called Onslaught of Orbs Spheres of Strife. Two planets fight to get nodes and hopefully blow up the opponents planet. This server is run by sal and he will put it up when pepople on irc want to play. Here is a short video on oosos, and this is the oosos wiki.

Anarchy Server: 2b2t.net Sometimes smogon players raid a no rules server and establish dominance, then get bored after we've conquered all. This is the current one.

For some topics that wouldn't be socially acceptable in a forum or detract from current conversations we also have our social group: http://www.smogon.com/forums/group.php?groupid=810

We also have a chat on SynIRC #smogcraft where all the good conversations on building blocks are (and a lot of non block discussions too). There is also #oosos for discussion on our favourite planet fighting game.

Past Server Backups:
    -Smogcraft Original Flavour
    -Smogcraft 2.0 as featured in the November 2011 Smog article.
    -Smogcraft 3 aka Salcraft

A note on the 360 version:
    -You cannot play on PC servers
    -The 360 version is perpetually a year behind from the PC version in terms of updates, certain updates may never reach the 360 due to how the PC version is run.
    -The best reason for the 360 would be for the splitscreen which requires an HDTV, if you really wanted on PC you can set up a local server with two game copies (although one of course is cheaper)
    -Each map on the 360 is limited in size to 1024x1024, while PC ones are considered limitless
    -If you can get either, the PC version will always be up to date and better use the minecraft wiki and look at release history to see features that haven't been put in yet.

Happy building, may your buildings be free of creeper explosions.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Dorordian likes this.
  2. Towelie

Towelie

ah wtf. i was just about to post a minecraft thread .-.
    anyways fuck man this game is addicting. i've been playing it for about a month and it's such a great time waster. when i get the chance ill upload some screenshots of my house/world.
  3. yiran

yiran

Where's a good image host? I can post my auto roller coaster :D usable without powered minecart.
  4. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

It's a lot better to play this on a server with some well meaning friends and good moderators. It's so much more fulfilling to be able to show someone your work and to work together on it.

There's 2 or 3 different servers at RPI that are all pretty fun.
  5. Renosaur

Renosaur

Minecraft spawns the most epic videos found on youtube. Also, if anyone uploads servers frequently post them here so some of us can join :D
  6. Towelie

Towelie

cim, can you post some of the server ips? itd be pretty cool to all play on one server.
  7. Manafii101

Manafii101

I love this game! Although it has given me an irrational fear of exploding green spidery things...
  8. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It's an independant game by one person. It has sold over 500,000 copies. About 1.5 million players means 33% of the registered users are on the paid version of the game. That's about 7 million US dollars for the creator of the game. He was also flown to Bellvue by Valve and has been engaged in talks with them.

This is a popular game.
  9. Lunarian

Lunarian

I love this game. Am I the only one who thinks that the sounds are sometimes SO annoying? I hate the nether the random screaming and the cows to. If you watch a youtube video you would know.
  10. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

I am also addicted to this game, my colleague has a server set up on his laptop and a few of us from work have a pretty cool little world going. Even if it's only in Alpha stage, it's still a really intriguing game. It's worth buying if you have a lot of free time, but if you've got a busy schedule with school or work or whatever, I would suggest staying away until the holidays lol..

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

yes i am building a pyramid <<
  11. Xaqwais

Xaqwais

I was gonna make a thread about this like 2 months ago, but I figured someone else will do it better. There's actually already a thread from a year ago about Minecraft with no replies.

Regardless, This game is pretty dang awesome. I'm an admin on a pretty sweet server (It was sweet before I was an admin :P), and I wasted quite a bit of time just messing around on there.

This game showed me how horrid I am at architecture, as the only "impressive" things I've done are "pixel art" which isn't really that cool anyway. I might post some later, as well as the server IP when it's done with the current downtime.
  12. gingbino11

gingbino11

[​IMG]

I pretty much shat myself when I saw this.
  13. yiran

yiran

I can't see imageshack... D:
  14. Towelie

Towelie

haha if you had a torch under it it'd be like lord of the flies x)
  15. Rocket Grunt

Rocket Grunt ✁ - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    is an Artist

ive only really fucked around on the free servers
    and made a couple pokeman sprites
    but its pretty awesome
  16. Youngster

Youngster

The game is very funny. I've played it just a little, but what I saw is better than people tell me.

But to say the truth, these days I've totally forgotten about the game (lol), guess I'll play it now. :)

I am the only one that when look at it remember of Picross 3D (Nintendo DS)?
  17. Aura Guardian

Aura Guardian

I just got the game yesterday. Since I have no real experience yet, I've been playing on Peaceful. I used some staircase mining and found a cavern with some gold, some diamonds, plenty of coal, and a fair amount of Iron.

I used the iron on some armor (just because I felt like it), on a minecart and some tracks to go down to my cavern (not finished, yet), and on a couple buckets. I have an infinite pool near my house right now.

Can anyone tell me if the wood-generating boat placed near a cactus ring still works?

EDIT: http://servers.minecraftforum.net/ - servers there
  18. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

Woo finally got our own privately hosted server to play on.. no more lag! Anyway, new server meant new map..

my leafy abode (open)
    [​IMG]

some sort of lighthouse (open)
    [​IMG]

wheat farm (open)
    [​IMG]

i didn't build this... but damn (open)
    [​IMG]

a port near a mine (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

fffffffffff (open)
    [​IMG]
  19. Lunarian

Lunarian

In my opinion early on it's way more fun on hard/normal more fun running from zombies. Exploring caves and venturing out into the night( going into the night is something I wouldn't do till later though when you have back up weapons and armor) Is so fun.
    Also don't be afraid to die it's kind of like call of duty in a way you don't want to die but it's boring to sit back in a little corner and camp or dig a little hole and hide there everyday. I don't mean to suicide into the night but have fun. When you constructing something massive then go on peaceful so you can work at night but other wise it's way more fun on hard mode.

Also Dan Dan that's some pretty crazy stuff you got there.
  20. yiran

yiran

I know how to make a server. In fact, I have a server right now, but that's for my school work. Call my teacher stupid, but he let us use minecraft to present our city of the future :/
  21. Renosaur

Renosaur

Here are some of mine, not too exciting as Dan Dan's

I find venturing around to be more fun than staying in one place and building a place. What does everyone else think?

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

CACTUS FARM!
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

My tower I started building, supposed to reach every milestone point I have reached.
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  22. Lunarian

Lunarian

It's fun venturing off but dying sucks =/. It's a lot like cod like I said. You want to have fun but you don't want to die! I think going off into the unkown but leaving a trail behind and only going with a few expendable items is really fun. I like going in a full suit of iron armor, one bow and 32 arrows, one steel/diamond sword, and some food. Go and make small one night camps stay for 2 nights and explore and dig. On the last night I fight off monsters till sunrise then ride to another island for another adventure. I go until I die then it's back to finding diamonds and building giant structures!
  23. freddles

freddles

it's pretty good, but hard to learn everything at the start :) quite fun to play with friends
  24. Renosaur

Renosaur

I have yet to find anything that's worth more than iron. I always find lava spots underground but never diamond near and I've dug literally to the center of the earth without finding any gold :(
    Bad luck or whaaattt
  25. Lunarian

Lunarian

Diamonds are quite rare so don't stress out on it. Iron is actually really good but most people think it's only decent because "omg man diamonds are so much better." Iron items are actually better then gold. Gold is rare and looks nice, however based on the fact that gold is a soft material notch emphasized it and made it only as good as wood =/. Redstone is cool though ^_^.
    If you really want to find diamonds then http://www.youtube.com/user/kiershar?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/23/7Jx1Unhhn94 should help but I think it's more fun to get them yourself though.
    Also so you don't misunderstand I mean by digging 3x4 shafts not digging straight down until you reach a cave. Explore the caves you find while digging this 3x4 shaft and continue digging. Once at the bottom you've probably explored a good amount of caves and had a ton of fun. If you really want diamonds then now you're at the bottom and can use the guide or make a new shaft. Remember, it's all about luck.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)