Pokémon Minior

What core color is best? (Personal interest; unrelated to competitive analysis)

• Red

Votes: 71 11.4%
  • Orange

Votes: 43 6.9%
  • Yellow

Votes: 38 6.1%
  • Green

Votes: 86 13.8%
  • Blue

Votes: 162 25.9%
  • Indigo

Votes: 116 18.6%
  • Violet

Votes: 109 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
White herb keeps you at +0 and you have a nice 60/100/100 bulk so while you have to be careful to your matchup when setting up you should be able to live
Too much bulk could even prevent you for triggering Shields Down in one hit, leaving you unable to kill the foe (example : strong power-up punches followed by any SE attack from a faster ennemy, it's not hard to get outsped if you still have Shields Up even at +2)
Ah ok. Makes sense. So that Naive nature one and going for Shell smash, Acrobatics, Power Gem, and Earthquake is the best with those natures, just can't bring it out willy nilly.

Question: Any reason to pair it up in doubles with somone that has a heal pulse? Just curious if you would every want to deactivate Shields down to get the defenses back or not.

i guess that A-ninetales/A-persian support is pretty mandatory when using this guy, it's really hard to set-up without some help, magnezone and lando-t seems to be nice parterns too.

Ah ok. Makes sense. So that Naive nature one and going for Shell smash, Acrobatics, Power Gem, and Earthquake is the best with those natures, just can't bring it out willy nilly.

Question: Any reason to pair it up in doubles with somone that has a heal pulse? Just curious if you would every want to deactivate Shields down to get the defenses back or not.
Probably depends when Shields Down activates. If it is immediately after it hits <50%, I can't even see it being practical for doubles because if the enemy doubles down, it's basically dead. If it triggers at the end of the turn, it might be viable but it would probably be tough to get the shields down to activate.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Probably depends when Shields Down activates. If it is immediately after it hits <50%, I can't even see it being practical for doubles because if the enemy doubles down, it's basically dead. If it triggers at the end of the turn, it might be viable but it would probably be tough to get the shields down to activate.
Shields Down triggers at the end of the turn.

Shields Down triggers at the end of the turn.
Yeah I am using it in game, and I notice if it levels up and goes back up above 50% HP because it it, it triggers shields down at the end of the turn(because it seems to happen after the foe switches in the next guy.

I run:
Minior-Core.png
Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4HP
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shell Smash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Works pretty well but isn't that effective. I've seen some great minior sweeps. Any suggested stats or changes?

i've beeing using a core of A-persian + Minior + kartana, and it's really nice, a-persian is here to help minior to set-up with parting shot, and kartana can weaken every kind of wall that think that can switch on it because it resits its moves, z-parting shot can help kartana to stay alive for more time and weaken even more the enemy team, so minior can appear and clean the game with powerfull acrobatics.

I run:
View attachment 74863
Minior @ White Herb
252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4HP
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shell Smash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Works pretty well but isn't that effective. I've seen some great minior sweeps. Any suggested stats or changes?
Don't put the remaining EVs in HP, it makes you take more Stealth Rocks damage while being basically useless to your bulk. I'd put them in SpDef.

I'm using the standard mixed Shell Smash set in the OP to face the Battle Tree Super Singles.

Lead with Minior and Shell Smash if I can do so safely. If the AI intends to use a status move it will keep blindly using it, in which case I just go for +6 before sweeping.

If I anticipate an electric-type move I safely switch into Garchomp and set him up instead. Currently using Celesteela as my third but this is mainly for its all-around bulk; Toxapex would be better as a pivot. I hope to breed one soon :)

Biggest threats to Minior are strong supereffective hits, priority, and setup sweepers with Sturdy. Gotta know when to avoid setting up.

Currently thinking about using Minior in a sand team with Hippowdon. Rock/Flying and Ground pair nicely (one dodges Ground, the other dodges Electric), and sand can provide some chip damage, boost Minior's SpDef so it can safely tank hits, and kill Sash users.

I adore this little guy. I haven't gone full-on competitive yet this gen, but just from using it in-game I had tons of fun. I was really happy with the in-game moveset I had on it and I felt like I could share it here. So...

Minior @ Red Card
EVs: 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge/Earthquake

Set up your Rocks first turn as your opponent does whatever. On the next turn, your goal is to make Red Card pop, then U-Turn out. Once the game is coming to a close, bring in Minior to clean up. I didn't do specific speed calcs for the set, so adjust Speed EVs as needed and pour your leftovers into HP and SpDef. The goal is to outspeed a large portion of 'mons in Core form that you wouldn't otherwise in Shields Up form (for the purpose of a slow first U-Turn to allow the Red Card to pop.). Once you U-Turn out, respond accordingly to whatever comes in and hopefully mess with your opponent's early strategy.

What I love about Minior is that's its role changes drastically as the game progresses. It's really quirky and unique, which is why it deserves the usage it receives.

I've been trying out a more specially-oriented mixed Minior, because 1) have an otherwise entirely physical team, and 2) I love Power Gem. It can be a challenge to find good setup opportunities, but then THIS GAME HAPPENED: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-502067321
252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior: 218-258 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here's the set if anyone wants to know

Star Child (Minior) @ White Herb
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Naive Nature
- Power Gem
- Dazzling Gleam
- Acrobatics
- Shell Smash

I'm running Acrobatics over EQ since 2 of its teammates already run it, but you could definitely switch it up depending on your comp.
Some other sweeps/mini-sweeps:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501615958
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501662129 (would've been a clean 4-mon sweep if I'd used anything OTHER than Acro turn 28)

I tried the White Herb and Focus Sash sets, and generally found the White Herb set to work more often. Focus Sash was really risky since Hail and Stealth Rocks ruined it. And Minior is definitely a risky one as is. Shields Down is great for an ability, but priority moves (which are becoming far too common) just wreck it. Minior -may- have better use in Doubles where you can use Bruxish or Tsareena with it to get rid of those priorities.

Also best Minior is Shiny Minior. Love that black color star.

I tried the White Herb and Focus Sash sets, and generally found the White Herb set to work more often. Focus Sash was really risky since Hail and Stealth Rocks ruined it. And Minior is definitely a risky one as is. Shields Down is great for an ability, but priority moves (which are becoming far too common) just wreck it. Minior -may- have better use in Doubles where you can use Bruxish or Tsareena with it to get rid of those priorities.

Also best Minior is Shiny Minior. Love that black color star.
I agree, white herb always seems like the safer option. Having 60-70% remaining health is definitely better all around than sitting at 1 HP. It let's you eat some priority moves you'd not be able to otherwise and you can't get immediately prankster burn/toxic KO'd.

0+ SpA Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Minior: 51-61 (19.5 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior: 49-58 (18.7 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO
+1 248 Atk Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior: 62-73 (23.7 - 27.9%) -- 86.5% chance to 4HKO (added +1 Atk for download)

Edit: wrong calcs, did it for shields up. Here are the right calcs:

0+ SpA Comfey Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Minior-Down: 76-91 (29.1 - 34.8%) -- 9.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior-Down: 74-87 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
+1 248 Atk Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior-Down: 93-110 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I've been trying out a more specially-oriented mixed Minior, because 1) have an otherwise entirely physical team, and 2) I love Power Gem. It can be a challenge to find good setup opportunities, but then THIS GAME HAPPENED: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-502067321
252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior: 218-258 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here's the set if anyone wants to know

Star Child (Minior) @ White Herb
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Naive Nature
- Power Gem
- Dazzling Gleam
- Acrobatics
- Shell Smash

I'm running Acrobatics over EQ since 2 of its teammates already run it, but you could definitely switch it up depending on your comp.
Some other sweeps/mini-sweeps:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501615958
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-501662129 (would've been a clean 4-mon sweep if I'd used anything OTHER than Acro turn 28)
Hi, can you give a little more details on the EV spread? Im really interested by this set :3

I've been trying this out and I'm not really sure how to play it right. What do you think is a good way to get Minior down to his core form? Mostly my opponents have just been witlessly trying to status me as I shell smash, but then after I smash, they bring something in that is able to tank a hit from meteor form's less-than-stellar attacks and OHKO back. I've been using the first set pretty much exactly.
Maybe you could try a focus sash instead of white herb? it's risky but if people OHKO it anyway the loss of defenses means nothing. Espeically beacuse after a smash Minior's speed is more than enough to take down most un-scarved things.

This thing looks very fun, both to use and face.
Doesn't feel like OU material to me; being a frail, sweeping win-con doesn't really pay in a tier of priority.
Yeah, you tried Game Freak, but priority is still relatively useful.
I don't have any sets, but I did wish to express my interest in this thing, especially it's nice core colors, and also it's surprisingly good movepool.
agreed. I plan on using it as much as I can almost exclusively on the basis that everyone is going to forget it exists soon enough. I feel like it'll be better off if it doesn't make it to OU

Last edited by a moderator:
Anti-Priority assistance is a nice for Minor since it's offensive and defensive stats literally swap places once Shield's Down kicks in. Of course the only Pokemon that could possibly fit that is Tapu Lele with her Psychic Surge ability. Being Rock/Flying (after Aerodactyl) means that you want allies who can soak up hits from Water, Electric, Steel, Ice and Rock-Type attacks. 60/100/100 bulk is nice pre-Shield's Down as it allows you to set-up potentially if possible. 100/100/120 attacking stats is also impressive as you can hit equally hard although your 60/60/60 bulk is rather lackluster as a mere Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet or Ice Shard could potentially KO it once Shield's Down kicks in. Of course you could have the likes of Baton Pass Umbreon and Baton Pass Vaporeon Baton Pass boosts from Acid Armor and Calm Mind to make Minior a bit more 'tanky' before you send it out but that is kind of risky and not too great outside of singles. It does naturally learn Cosmic Power and Shell Smash which combo nice together but restricts your movepool to two attacking moves. Of course you could U-Turn out once Shield's Down is in effect...just make sure that you keep Spikes and Stealth Rock off your side of the field or poor Minior will have nightmares.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anti-Priority assistance is a nice for Minor since it's offensive and defensive stats literally swap places once Shield's Down kicks in. Of course the only Pokemon that could possibly fit that is Tapu Lele with her Psychic Surge ability. Being Rock/Flying (after Aerodactyl) means that you want allies who can soak up hits from Water, Electric, Steel, Ice and Rock-Type attacks. 60/100/100 bulk is nice pre-Shield's Down as it allows you to set-up potentially if possible. 100/100/120 attacking stats is also impressive as you can hit equally hard although your 60/60/60 bulk is rather lackluster as a mere Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet or Ice Shard could potentially KO it once Shield's Down kicks in. Of course you could have the likes of Baton Pass Umbreon and Baton Pass Vaporeon Baton Pass boosts from Acid Armor and Calm Mind to make Minior a bit more 'tanky' before you send it out but that is kind of risky and not too great outside of singles. It does naturally learn Cosmic Power and Shell Smash which combo nice together but restricts your movepool to two attacking moves. Of course you could U-Turn out once Shield's Down is in effect...just make sure that you keep Spikes and Stealth Rock off your side of the field or poor Minior will have nightmares.
Psychic terrain doesn't protect Minior because it's a flying type. Spikes also aren't an issue

Psychic terrain doesn't protect Minior because it's a flying type. Spikes also aren't an issue
Thanks for the correction but I've said that since I've been fighting some players who use Smack Down or Gravity. The other part of my post was concerning about Minior's poor bulk after Shield's Down takes effect.

i'm curious as to why this thread did not got locked. any reasons why? (aka is minior really worth using in OU?)

i'm curious as to why this thread did not got locked. any reasons why? (aka is minior really worth using in OU?)
Apparently it's C+ viability wise, so in theory it's just as usable as stuff like A-Muk & Ninetales, Azumarril, Necrozma and Shedinja.

Thanks for the correction but I've said that since I've been fighting some players who use Smack Down or Gravity. The other part of my post was concerning about Minior's poor bulk after Shield's Down takes effect.
Smack Down and Gravity are generally subpar moves and the only worthwhile move that smacks down, Thousand Arrows, would OHKO you anyways.

Smack Down and Gravity are generally subpar moves and the only worthwhile move that smacks down, Thousand Arrows, would OHKO you anyways.
Actually, Flying-type Pokemon that are still in the air will always take neutral damage from Thousand Arrows, so it won't OHKO.

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Land's Wrath vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior-Up: 202-238 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(I couldn't find Thousand Arrows in the calculator, so I just changed Minior's type to pure Normal)

Actually, Flying-type Pokemon that are still in the air will always take neutral damage from Thousand Arrows, so it won't OHKO.

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Land's Wrath vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior-Up: 202-238 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(I couldn't find Thousand Arrows in the calculator, so I just changed Minior's type to pure Normal)
Oh, I completely forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)