Miruhoggu

I apologize if there is another thread for this pokemon, i didnt see one.

and dont discuss tiering and stuff, cus apparently you arent supposed to.

MIRUHOGGU!

In every generation of Pokemon, there have always been the normal type mons that you find in the early game, when they are useful. You need more team members, so you just catch one because they are the only random encounters you have for the first hour of gameplay. This gen is no different. Adding onto the line of normal type early game pokes...

GEN I: Ratatta - Raticate

GEN II: Sentret - Furret

GEN III: Zigzagoon - Linoone

GEN IV: Bidoof - Bibarel

GEN IV: Minezumi - Miruhoggu

MIRUHOGGU

HP: 60
ATK: 85
DEF: 69
S.ATK: 60
S.DEF: 69
SPD: 77

Illuminate
No effect inside of battles. Out of battle: Doubles the encounter rate of wild Pokemon.

Keen Eye
Prevents Miruhog from having its Accuracy lowered by other Pokemon's attacks. Out of battle: If Miruhog is your lead Pokemon, lower-level Pokemon in the wild have a higher encounter rate.

DW
Analyze
Raises the power of Miruhog's damaging attack if Miruhog attacks last during the turn.

NOTABLE MOVES

Cruunch, Confuse Ray, Super FAng, Hyper Fang, Mean Look, BAton Pass, Toxic, Return, Thunder Wave, Swords Dance, Cheer Up, Grass knot, Substitute, Strength, Fling, Dig, Hypnosis

So not much special about this Gen's normal beginning game poke, same as all the others.

Pros:

Decent supporting movepool with mean look, baton pass, toxic, thunder wave, swords dance, cheer up, substitute

Analyze can be used with such a slow speed

Cons

Hiruhoggu's stats are just not good. not good at all. Its best stat, attack, can hardly be used at all thanks to...

HORRIBLE PHYSICAL MOVEPOOL!!! even though his special movepool is great, he doesnt have the srtats to do anything special. Therefore, i will not talk about his special movepool.

So not much going on for miruhoggu.

MOVESETS

BATON PASS
Miruhoggu @Leftovers
Analyze
252 SPD, 252 DEF, 4 S.DEF
-Baton Pass
-Cheer Up
-Swords Dance
-Mean Look

This set is just a standard baton pass set. Miruhoggu could come in and either raise both offensive stats, sharply raise physical attack, or trap the opponent.

SWORDS DANCE ATTACKER
Miruhoggu @Focus Sash
Analyze
252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 DEF
-Swords Dance
-Return
-Crunch
-Dig

Just a swords dance set. You know you have a weak pokemon when you need to use Dig on a set.

ANALYZE ABUSE
Miruhoggu @Iron Ball
Analyze
252 ATK, 252 DEF, 4 S.DEF
-Return
-Fling
-Grass knot
-Substitute

The point of this set is to use the Iron BAll tho make Miruhoggu go slower, so he will usually go second. Use substitute so that he can actually take a hit, and Once he goes last, Analyze will be activated, making his attack power increase. And as a finisher, you can use fling to throw the iron ball, hitting your opponent in a 130 BP attack.

SUPPORT
Miruhoggu @Leftovers
Analyze
252 SPD, 252 DEF, 4 HP
-Hypnosis
-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Thunder Wave

Statusing, statusing, statusing. And you can trap the opponent too! It all works out.

LEAD
Miruhoggu @Leftovers
Analyze
252 SPD, 252 ATK, 4S.DEF
-Hypnosis
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
-Return

Seems viable, to say the least.

This has been my post on Miruhoggu, and my first real Smogon post. Thank you.

Ive just been taking ideas and adding them on from people commenting, so thanks for your comments!

DISCUSS

1) Why is Hypnosis not on his notable moves?
2) He has a horrible PHYSICAL movepool. His special movepool is impressive, but his Sp. Atk stat sucks.
3) I love this guy. Design wise, that is.

You might want to fix your image.
On the first set, you should probably slash Mean Look with an attack, as you dont want to be taunt bait to all the Mischievous Heart users. Id go with return

There isn't much to discuss about this Pokemon, though it can possibly function as a BPer in lower tiers but its defences and other options are cruelly limited. Muurando clearly outclasses it. It doesn't even cut it as an HM slave ._.

breh

強いだね
Well mean look BP is kind of cool in the lower tiers.

The second and third set should be merged.

name: Analyze
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Fling / Payback
move 3: Return
move 4: Baton Pass / Revenge
item: Iron Ball / Life Orb
ability: Analyze
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 Spe
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

No mention of Hypnosis at all?

It's main niche is definitely going to be as the fastest Trap Passer. Although, you shouldn't be using all of those Baton Passable moves on the same set. You should probably go with something like this:

Mean Look/Swords Dance/Cheer Up
Hypnosis/Substitute
Baton Pass
Return/Super Fang

Hypnosis has terrible accuracy but it can put a possible counter to Sleep and if you can hit a Pokemon with Mean Look and Hypnosis, you can Baton Pass out and set up even the frailest of sweeper. Substitute eases prediction and adds another thing that can be passed and Return/Super Fang is mainly incase you get Taunted.

Since Dig is a pretty terrible move in competetive play, you might be able to get away with using Cheer Up and Grass Knot in NU. It hits Rock types SE and I think most of the NU Steel types are hit nuetrally by it as well.

For the Analyze set, you're going to need Substitute if want to actually get an attack off. Miruhoggu is so frail that it will barely be able to take any sort of hit and survive to hit back. Overall, I don't think that set will be useful since I think Analyze only boosts the power by 20% and Life Orb will still boost it by 30%.

breh

強いだね
How about a LeadHog, with Hypnosis/BP/Swords Dance/Return? Seems viable, to say the least.
Good accuracy sleep move + good Speed = Potentially good lead (Roserade, Venusaur, Darkrai, Meowth)

Bad accuracy sleep move + godawful Speed =/= Good lead

How bout a special or mixed set like:

Miruhoggu @ Life Orb
Naive/Hasty/Timid
128 Atk/128 SpA/252 Spe (I'm not good at EVs) or 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Cheer Up
Return/Super Fang
Flamethrower/Focus Blast
Grass Knot/Thunderbolt

This set is pretty useless and is outclassed by any other set Miruhoggu could run, but could be used as a gimmick. Cheer Up to boost his stats, Return for STAB on mixed set or Super Fang for some certain damage if purely special. Flamethrower or Focus Blast for Steels etc. and Grass Knot or Thunderbolt for coverage attack.

umbreon no longer holds a monopoly on mean look passing
Actually Ariados can do that too with Spider Web.

But yeah, I thought this thing was going to be completely worthless, but having access to such an exclusive strategy could give this thing a niche in the lower tiers, since it's also faster than Ariados and there are plenty of extremely powerful set-up sweepers in NU that can be very threatening when given the chance against a trapped wall.

This would be the most efficient baton passer.

Miruhoggu @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Chople Berry
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP - Adamant/Jolly
Keen Eye
Thunder Wave/Swords Dance/Baton Pass/Return
(Swords Dance can be replaced with any baton pass-able move)

Thunder Wave your opponents switch in, then switch out. Next time you come in, you'll be able to BP a +2 Attack to a teamate with your opponents main switch-in unable to attack you first. Problem is, your opponent can switch so many things into this guy xD
Oh and, Return will actually hurt after a +2, don't underestimate it. It's also your answer to electric immunes.

I mean seriously, this thing sucks severely. I think trollfreak enjoys hitting us with these stupid normal types and like allof the other normals it only has the one niche. mean look passing and it sucks at that. I refuse to catch this once the game comes out

For those of us who don't enjoy Baton Pass on 'mons with no bulk and a plethora of other BPass users...

I'd try using Analyze with Hypnosis, but not in tandem with TWave (he won't be slower) or BPass (reason above)

Miruhoggu@Leftovers/Life Orb/Zoom Lens
Brave
Analyze
(don't know EVs, but max ATK for sure)
-Hypnosis
-Substitute/Swords Dance
-Return
-Crunch

Let's be honest, by the time you're using a guy slightly stronger than Raticate but not nearly as fast, you gotta be a pretty optimistic dude in the first place. I mean, not only are you investing in a 'mon as frail as this guy, but your main intention, likely, is to be slower than the opponent to abuse Analyze, one of the guy's only main damage outputs, and unless you're on a Trick Room team, it's hard to argue "my 'mon being slow is a good thing."

Hypnosis is pretty much the only way you're going to get anybody to switch. With a Brave nature, Zoom Lens becomes an absolute possibility in making Hypnosis' accuracy near perfect. However, that's its only use. The other two items depend on your choice of second non-attack. Either Sub or SD on the switch, and then fire-off reasonable STAB Returns or Crunch to hit anything not Steel type for decent damage (in the lower tiers, at least).

That's pretty much a set I'm seeing. He could be a decent TWave Swords Dancer as well so he's faster and can utilize an average ATK, but Analyze loses a lot of its luster there (not like Keen Eye is much better).

He's an interesting Poke, but needed at least a base 90 ATK or so to really stand out. I notice Linoone is mentioned as the "average normal pokemon", but come on: the guy gets Belly Drum, Gluttony, and Extremespeed! That is a dream combo right there!

Good accuracy sleep move + good Speed = Potentially good lead (Roserade, Venusaur, Darkrai, Meowth)

Bad accuracy sleep move + godawful Speed =/= Good lead
Well, I never said it was good, just viable. In lower tiers, that is. And the other lead is a Brave No Guard Machop.

It's a shame they didn't give him "something else", like they did with other generic mammals, such Linoone and Bibarel. Those two, although weak, had some very interesting tools to play with (Gluttony + Salac Berry + Belly Drum + STAB ExtremeSpeed, Simple Curse/Amnesia), but this guy is outclassed by outclassed Pokemon!

It's actually pretty amazing that this thing gets both Hypnosis and Mean Look AND Baton Pass. The main problem with trap passing is that you normally trap the counter to your trapper. Hypnosis takes care of that by putting the counter to sleep then trapping and BPing. It's like Smeargle but with higher speed lol. Wide lens can solve your accuracy woes somewhat.

you could always consider super fang>dig to get rid of steel-type HP enough til you think you can take em out with return or crunch.
Or super fang so you aren't walled by taunt.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made this set, it's kinda dumb but it might work in the lower tiers.

Parafusion

Miruhoggu
Nature: Jolly
EV: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Confuse Ray
~ Thunder Wave
~ Swords Dance / Super Fang
~ Crunch
Ability: Analyse
Item: Focus Sash / Life Orb

Laugh all you want, but I'm going to test this on Random Wi-fi later. xP

I've never really made a set before, but I just randomly thought of:

Item: Leftovers
Stats: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def/S.Def(whichever), Jolly
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Toxic
- Super Fang

The whole point is to just trap something and get a toxic on it and then pass it on to someone else to finish. Which would probably be overkill for most things I'm assuming. Problem is I'm not completely sure if he's got enough defense to pull it all off fast enough. Either way it'd only be a one time deal, but it might be worth it.

I've waited with baited breath for years for a Meerkat Pokemon, given that it is favorite animal. Then they give us this... thing... it's eyes creep me out. But I guess beggars can't be choosers and all that, so this is what I am stuck with and I'll probably learn to love him all the same.

My other favorite animal - the Lion - also got made into a shroom-popping hypno-eye thing with Luxray. What is it with GF turning my favorite animals into druggies?

But in all seriousness, this thing is probably the competitively weakest fully evolved 'mon introduced this gen.

Confirmed The trapping effect of moves such as Mean Look and Wrap can no longer be Baton Passed.
The fact that they designed this meerkat to be a Mean Look Baton Passer and then make it so that you can't Baton Pass Mean Look in the same game is trollish beyond comparison. GG, any chance of this being used anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)