Serious Misanthropy: Is it justified?

What I'm curious about is what I bolded in your statement. What about this belief system makes you feel more free to be yourself? Is it your belief that the lack of an afterlife sets the basis for this reality being our only plane of existence, and that mortal time limit is comforting?
If I decide to do the right thing for example, is it not more virtuous to do so without expecting eternal salvation? I also believe that finality gives our life some meaning in so far as it affects others around us. One day, I assume I'll be buried by time but my life will have had meaning to anyone who cared. I feel asking for anything more than that may be greedy. Something along those lines, yes, you had the right idea.

If I decide to do the right thing for example, is it not more virtuous to do so without expecting eternal salvation? I also believe that finality gives our life some meaning in so far as it affects others around us. One day, I assume I'll be buried by time but my life will have had meaning to anyone who cared. I feel asking for anything more than that may be greedy. Something along those lines, yes, you had the right idea.
See I'm somewhat in the same boat as you in some regards, except I believe in an afterlife (I'm not religious though, I'm mainly spiritual). People shouldn't need a belief system to be a good person, they should just be able to be a good person on their own. It's not that an afterlife is comforting for me, to be honest I don't really think about what happens after death. What motivates me is to discover as much as I can about what we can discover in our lifetimes.

See I'm somewhat in the same boat as you in some regards, except I believe in an afterlife (I'm not religious though, I'm mainly spiritual). People shouldn't need a belief system to be a good person, they should just be able to be a good person on their own. It's not that an afterlife is comforting for me, to be honest I don't really think about what happens after death. What motivates me is to discover as much as I can about what we can discover in our lifetimes.
And as far as meanings go, that is a noble endevour. It doesn't matter if there is or is not an afterlife until we get there, does it? No sense worrying one way or the other. Unless of course the scientologists were right. Wouldn't that be a bitch? Tom Cruise is all like, "Told you so".

And as far as meanings go, that is a noble endevour. It doesn't matter if there is or is not an afterlife until we get there, does it? No sense worrying one way or the other. Unless of course the scientologists were right. Wouldn't that be a bitch? Tom Cruise is all like, "Told you so".
Thanks man, also lmao, I haven't heard anyone talk about Scientology in a long time. I'm all for respecting beliefs and whatnot, but wasn't Scientology proven to be a massive scam?

yeah misanthropy is justified humanity is shit

If you want to live your whole life depressed at something you can't change and/or tout yourself as an edgelord with a superiority complex that's cool but instead of having pseudo-philosophical discussions about how shit your species is with other members of your species how about you turn off the lights you probably left on in the other room because that's doing more harm to humanity than any belief in god ever will.

For as much as you can justify misanthropy its really a pointless discussion, the philosophy of it will get you nowhere and unless you're planning on changing the world defining your life by it will get you nowhere. There is a reason why most adults and accomplished people don't subscribe to the belief. You only get one shot at life and spending that one shot deciding that everyone is shit though objectively true achieves nothing. If you want to change things then go to rallies, donate to medical research, become rich and use your money to fund a mars mission. If you're not interested in changing anything then just enjoy your life.

I'll admit to misanthropy, to a degree. I think mine was born as a result of trauma i suffered as a boy. I was sexually violated by a family member for almost 7 yrs before i had the courage to speak out. The result? My parents accused me of being a sinner and the authorities didn't believe me. I was shamed. As a result, i tended to assume the worse about people; i'd refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt. It only got worse as i aged, horrible world events, daily news of some unspeakable horror commited by someone; it all convinced me that humanity was without hope. The realization of this only made me miserable, and by extension, everyone else around me. I lost friends. People avoided me. Understandable, in hindsight. Eventually i realized that my hatred of people was only hurting me; no one else. Furthermore, it wasn't constructive. So to answer your question, yes, misanthropy is justified, but i can tell you from experience that it leads nowhere. Nowhere but a state of constant grief, hopelessness, and disappointment. You'd be better served directing the sizable amount of energy you waste hating people into doing something to break the mold. Even if it's only something minor, like helping someone with their groceries, or volunteering at a soup kitchen. That helped me.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
this is a genuine thought that i had:

start a cult / belief system revolving around misanthropy, and gather public support by funding movements / organizations that aren't "made by imbeciles"

it would be largely arbitrary, and would hone the superiority complex present in all of us: we all believe and know that we're special. by not taking the time to individually know each human being we encounter (which, in all honesty, is completely unrealistic), we lump them together into one collective: those who don't have any sense. hell, at least a good portion of people we know are imbeciles, and we hate them all the more.

people also like being part of a group / team structure of any sort, and this feeds into that too; it's a cycle that keeps feeding on itself!

also id make money thru this somehow

Benevomisanthropy: thoughts?

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I'm the kind of person who wants to be a misanthrope, but just like life too much. I'm pretty cynical, but can't make the plunge into misanthropy.

Regardless, to answer the question, it is indeed justified, as most of the human population are idiots. I work at McDonald's, so I encounter idiots all the time. Hatred of your whole species seems extreme, but from my point of view, there are just too many idiots out there to be justifiable

misanthropy makes me uncomfy. many of these sentiments are often underpinned by very ableist, classist (et al.) rhetoric & it is such an elitist outlook abt society.

no thnx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)