1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Misdreavus won't be Missed (alternate Ghosts in LC)

Discussion in 'Little Cup' started by eric the espeon, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Which Ghost do you think will be the most common?

1. Gastly

72.2%
  2. Duskull

11.6%
  3. Shuppet

3.0%
  4. Drifloon

13.1%
  1. Ice-eyes

Ice-eyes Simper Fi

Sub Gastly is an absolute monster. If it gets behind a Sub, you have to guess 50/50 whether it has Sucker Punch or Hypnosis. Guess right? Congratulations, you lose a pokemon! Guess wrong? Congratulations, you lose two - and probably the game.
  2. Dubulous

Dubulous I look just like Buddy Holly.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

You'd actually be surprised at how bulky Drifloon is. Remember that Drifloon has an absolutely massive HP stat, which means to be effective defensively all I have to do is max out HP. This allows me to reach 15 Speed (which outspeeds or ties most things at +2 after Unburden) and 16 Special Attack.

That being said, super effective hits do tend to take Drifloon out. Drifloon's real utility is its ability to switch into Munchlax, burn it, and switch out without dying. After that, Munchlax becomes set-up bait for one of my set-up sweepers, which puts the opponent in a bad spot.
  3. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Floon is pretty damn bulky, it can just about take a ScarfChop Ice Punch. You can OHKO it, but not without a fairly powerful SE or boosted STAB attack.
  4. Banryu

Banryu

Actually, I don't know many Sub-Gastly that run Sucker Punch OR Hypnosis. :0 I think most run some combination of Sludge Bomb / HP Fight / Tbolt / Explosion in the last two slots, and I've never seen Sucker Punch as an option because of Gastly's poor Attack.
    ....unless you were referring to those moves being used AGAINST Gastly? It's possible I misunderstood... :0

Yeah... I'll take your guys' word for it. Sub-Drifloon sounds better than I gave it credit for.
  5. Ulysses

Ulysses

Personally, I'm liking the merits of a SubPetaya CM Drifloon, since it has immunities to the most common priority attacks and can set up on Sucker Punch.
  6. TPM

TPM

Well its pretty obvious Gastly is the most prominent Ghost, but what I'm wondering now is what set is the most prominent, or more importantly, the strongest. And now just SubGastly / Choice Scarf, like, exact moves.
  7. StealthX

StealthX

In my experences, Gastly + SUB is better than Gastly + CS. It's just my oppion, and what I've observed playing LC though. I'm no theorymon.
  8. Ice-eyes

Ice-eyes Simper Fi

Sub Gastly is more reliable as a Machop check etc, and arguably more devastating to a team, but it can't revenge-kill like Scarf can.

Exact sets:
    Gastly @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    Timid (+Spe, -Atk) / Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
    36 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
    0 HP IV
    Shadow Ball
    Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fighting
    Hypnosis / Sucker Punch / Explosion
    Substitute

Gastly @ Choice Scarf
    Levitate
    Rash (+SpA, -SpD) / Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
    36 HP / 76 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
    Shadow Ball
    Sludge Bomb
    Thunderbolt / Explosion / Hypnosis
    Explosion / Hypnosis / Thunderbolt

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)