Mismagius [4N] - Substitute Destiny*

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I kept the set comment paragraph that descibes Destiny Bond, since it was fairly well-written and describes the many uses of Destiny Bond better than I could rewrite it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mismagius/

[SET]
name: Substitute Destiny
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Destiny Bond
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Mismagius has many attributes that make a suicide set viable. A high base 105 Speed, immunity to some of the most common priority attacks (ExtremeSpeed, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave), and the ability to bluff other sets separates this suicide sweeper from the pack.</p>

<p>The idea is simple: Substitute to block status moves and Sucker Punch, and attack away. Play mind games with your opponent. If your opponent brought something out that you feel is going to be a problem to your team, lure it to attack with your Substitutes and use Destiny Bond to rid yourself of a potential threat. Destiny Bond can also be used to keep your opponent from going on the offensive; it deters them from attacking, buying Mismagius time to Substitute for a free attack on your next turn. This strategy can also be used to bring Mismagius back to into Substitute range, since Leftovers will be replenishing your HP at the end of every turn in the absence of harmful weather. Be sure not to forget that Destiny Bond works through Substitutes, as many boosting sweepers enjoy hiding behind them. Don't be afraid to switch out to a counter Pokemon either; Mismagius can always come back for more fun.</p>

<p>This set is one of Mismagius's best bets at beating common Sucker Punch and Pursuit users, such as Drapion and Absol. Destiny Bond will keep them from directly attacking Mismagius, forcing them to either switch out or use a non-attacking move. If you notice these threats are constantly boosting their stats while Mismagius is in play, feel free to substitute Taunt for Substitute. Taunt works in a similar vein as Substitute, keeping status at bay, but also allows Mismagius to help its teammates in putting off boosted sweeps. The trade off is the lack of insurance against Sucker Punch, which will most likely KO Mismagius if it chooses to attack instead of Destiny Bond.</p>

<p>As a sweeper, this set will have trouble overcoming Registeel and Chansey, due to the lack of Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. Therefore, it is even more important to pair Mismagius up with a Pokemon who can deal with these walls. Mixed Blaziken is a fair candidate, thanks to STAB Fighting- and Fire-type attacks. Donphan can switch in with impunity on their Thunder Waves and threaten them with STAB Earthquake.</p>

<p>This set is very useful when you plan on using a Pokemon that can be countered by popular walls. By using Destiny Bond, Mismagius can take down some elite walls, such as Regirock, Registeel, and Spiritomb after they KO it directly. However, Chansey and Clefable will often evade Destiny Bond; since Seismic Toss can't touch Mismagius, Destiny Bond cannot be activated. However, any sweeper that would otherwise have troubles with these walls is an ideal partner. Some commonly seen sweepers that fit this mold include Hitmontop, Hariyama, Swellow, and Rotom.</p>

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I kept the set comment paragraph that descibes Destiny Bond, since it was fairly well-written and describes the many uses of Destiny Bond better than I could rewrite it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mismagius/

[SET]
name: Substitute Destiny
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Destiny Bond
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Mismagius has many attributes that make a suicide set viable. A high base 105 Speed, immunity to some of the most common priority attacks (ExtremeSpeed, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave), and the ability to bluff other sets separates this suicide sweeper from the pack.</p>

<p>The idea is simple: Substitute to block status moves and Sucker Punch and attack away. Play mind games with your opponent. If your opponent brought something out that you feel is going to be a problem to your team, lure it into an attack with your Substitutes and use Destiny Bond to rid yourself of a potential threat. Want to get a free attack? Use Destiny Bond to deter them from attacking and Substitute for a free attack on your next turn. Your opponent just hit you down below 25% and you can't use Substitute anymore? If you're faster, keep using Destiny Bond until your Leftovers brings you back up over 25% (this doesn't work in a sandstorm). Opponent outplays you and manages to get a pokemon behind a Substitute? Come in and Destiny Bond away; Yes, it works around Substitutes! Don't be afraid to switch out to a counter Pokemon either. Mismagius can always come back for more fun.</p>

Lots of fragmentation here... I normally wouldn't comment on it, but it might be better for you to try to merge some of the sentences and get rid of extraneous punctuation. I haven't done so here just in case you think it is a bad idea.

<p>This set will have trouble overcoming Registeel and Chansey, due to the lack of Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. Therefore, it is even more important to pair Mismagius up with a Pokemon who can deal with these walls. Mixed Blaziken is a fair candidate, thanks to STAB Fighting- and Fire-type attacks. Donphan can handle them as well, thanks to an immunity to their Thunder Waves, and it can also use its powerful STAB Earthquake against them.</p>

<p>This set is very useful when you plan on using a Pokemon that can be countered by popular walls. Mismagius will have no problem taking down the likes of Slowbro, Spiritomb, and Registeel (inconsistency - you just said that Registeel tramples all over it). However, Chansey and Clefable will often evade Destiny Bond; since Seismic Toss can't touch Mismagius, Destiny Bond cannot be activated. However, any sweeper that would otherwise have troubles with these walls is an ideal partner. Some commonly seen sweepers that fit this mold include Hitmontop, Hariyama, and Rotom.</p>
Looks good so far - a couple of logistical points to address, but overall solid.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks bob; that's what I get for not putting a status at the top.

I hope I've been able to clarify the Registeel inconsistancy in the Set Comments. The first mention of Registeel was suposed to point out that Mismagius will have troubles KOing Registeel while staying alive. The second mention dealt with using Destiny Bond to KO Registeel.

I don't think Mismagius is going to lure Slowbro any time soon. If Slowbro shows it's face, it's because your opponent has nothing else to deal with Mismagius, in which case you won't need that backup sweeper really. Also, Swellow deserves mention for team options any time you have something that can lure and kill Registeel.

As for the inconsistency someone brought up on whether or not this beats Registeel, I'm guessing you were saying that you can only kill it with D-Bond. You should be more clear on that, so there's no confusion of what this Mismagius can and can't do to Registeel.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you for your critique and suggestions, Scoopapa. I'm currently on a phone, but I will update the OP as soon as I get the chance.

Bob got all the major stuff that I could find. I just don't understand why one would use this set over the destiny plot or the sub plot mismagius. But if it works then more power to Missy

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bob got all the major stuff that I could find. I just don't understand why one would use this set over the destiny plot or the sub plot mismagius. But if it works then more power to Missy
It works in a different manner than these sets; sweeping is just one job this Mismagius can do. It's more of a team player and sweeper set-upper than any of the other sets, making it unique enough to warrant a complete analysis.

Wouldn't Taunt be a reasonable alternative to Substitute? It can still stop Pokemon that attempt to poison it with Toxic or paralyze it with Thunder Wave, preventing Chansey and friends to heal health, and is a pretty good move in general. One of the biggest advantages it has is disabling scary set-up sweepers from setting up, such as Rock Polish Rhyperior, Swords Dance Drapion, and Nasty Plot Houndoom. Finally, it helps ensure that Destiny Bond will bring down the opposing Pokemon, as they are forced to use a direct attack. Both Substitute and Taunt have their pros and cons, but Taunt needs to slashed in that set in my opinion, if not mentioned in the comments.

Besides that, you should probably emphasize the fact that common Pursuiters and Sucker Punchers like Absol, Drapion, and Spiritomb will have a hard time coming out alive when faced with this set. This set is basically one of the best sets for Mismagius to avoid Pursuit and Sucker Punch users from always beating Mismagius, since they are now going to be brought down to (if you play smart that is). Since Mismagius is faster than all of the ones mentioned, it's not incredibly hard to bring them down at all.

All in all, slash in/mention Taunt and let the reader know that this set is almost guaranteed to beat Pursuit/Sucker Punch users.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Really small nitpicks:

<p>The idea is simple: Substitute to block status moves and Sucker Punch, and attack away.
Just because this could have been interpreted as an imperative for Mismagius to use Sucker Punch.

By using Destiny Bond, Mismagius can take down some elite walls, such as Regirock, Registeel, and Spiritomb after they KO it directly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)