On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bring me Honchkrow

Overview
########
  • A fast and strong special Ghost-type sweeper
  • Has Nasty Plot and a unique typing to make it useful
  • Good utility options and offensive movepool give it some advantages as well
  • Has more Speed and NP to stand out from Chandelure, as well as Dazzling Gleam to hurt Hydreigon and other Dark-types
  • Steel no longer resisting its Shadow Ball helps
  • It's very frail, so it has a bit of a hard time setting up
  • Has a bit of competition from other Ghost-types
  • However, with NP, high Speed, and a decent support movepool, Mismagius makes for a fairly proficient Ghost-type special sweeper

Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Dazzling Gleam
move 4: Taunt / Substitute
ability: Levitate
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Nasty Plot boosts Mismagius's Special Attack to make it a formidable sweeper
  • Shadow Ball serves as a reliable STAB move that hits fairly hard
  • Dazzling Gleam provides great coverage with Shadow Ball; hitting Hydreigon and Dark-types hard (and Chesnaught)
  • Taunt is a cool move to prevent slower defensive mons from using support moves or crippling Mismagius with status
  • Substitute allows Mismagius to dodge Sucker Punch from Honchkrow and evade Pursuit
  • Thunderbolt can be used if hitting Mega Blastoise and Suicune hard is needed
  • Will-O-Wisp or Destiny Bond could be used in the last slot to cripple or take down an answer to Mismagius; either can be useful should Mismagius find use mid game.

Set Details
========
  • Life Orb gives Mismagius extra power; it will need it since it's a little weak without an NP boost
  • Timid Nature and EV spread make it as fast as possible

Usage Tips
========
  • Mismagius is mainly a late game sweeper, so try to weaken its counters before sending it in to finish off the game
  • Try using a U-turn or Volt Switch user to get Mismagius in safely as it's rather frail
  • Be careful about the many Dark-types in UU

Team Options
========
  • Spikes support from Smeargle, Froslass, and Roserade is nice, as well as Rock support to allow Mismagius to better attain needed KO's
  • Pokemon that can break down Mismagius's counters, like Heracross, are also appreciated
  • Other mons like Mienshao, Infernape, and Mega Absol are relatively proficient to remove some of Mismagius's counters
Substitute+Calm Mind
########
name: Substitute+Calm Mind
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Dazzling Gleam
ability: Levitate
item: Leftovers
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Substitute dodges status and gives Mismagius more opportunities to boost with Calm Mind
  • Calm Mind boosts Mismagius's good Special Attack and Special Defense to formidable levels
  • Shadow Ball is a reliable STAB move that has good coverage
  • Dazzling Gleam is useful to hit Umbreon and other Dark-types and provides good neutral coverage with Shadow Ball
Set Details
========
  • The EV spread gives all the power and Speed
  • One could invest more in HP to give Mismagius some more bulk
  • Leftovers provides passive recovery
  • A Timid Nature is picked because Mismagius's Speed is one of its best selling points
Usage Tips
========
  • The NP set is late game cleaner, but this is a mid game cleaner
  • Takes a somewhat more bulky approach, setting up at a more steady pace
Team Options
========
  • Fighting-types such as Infernape and Heracross are very good for breaking down Umbreon and stall teams
  • Physical attackers as a whole can break down Goodra and Blissey
  • Entry hazard support is appreciated to aid Mismagius in sweeping

Other Options
########
  • A defensive set with Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave as well as Pain Split is possible, but it's generally outclassed by Trevenant and Sableye in this regard
  • Thunderbolt
  • Energy Ball
  • Psychic
  • Hex
  • Choice Specs/Scarf

Checks and Counters
########
  • Mega Houndoom
  • Snorlax
  • Scarf Krookodile
  • Scarf mons in general
  • Goodra
  • Blissey
  • Mega Absol
  • Umbreon
  • Priority

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the sub CM set last gen was very effective imo and it might deserve a mention either as a set on in OO

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'm not QC or anything, but I think Substitute definitely needs a slash somewhere. Why? Sucker Punch. A good chunk of the tier relies on Sucker Punch (Honchkrow definitely comes to mind), so setting up a Substitute on them guarantees that you can get a hit on something (or another set up opportunity).

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC either; cosigning what HypnoEmpire above me said, Sub is good for getting around Sucker Punch and dodging the occasional status. It's kind of frustrating to set up with at times cause of Mismagius' bulk, but when you are able to set it up, it can do wonders. I'd probably slash it as a second choice next to Taunt, and in that case, slash Leftovers next to LO. Energy Ball could also be mentioned for the coverage it gets on a wider range of bulky waters since it also hits the stuff like Swampert/Quagsire/Gastrodon harder without forcing you to have to risk a Toxic/Scald burn trying to set up just to break them down. Also looking at the list of Pokemon, it seems kinda hard for Mismagius to outright set up against most cause of its awkward bulk. Maybe in usage tips it's easier for it to set up while forcing a switch?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also not QC, but SubCM is amazing. It works well with Mismagius' decent (but not amazing) natural bulk, and it is rather useful on bulky offensive teams. While it should still go below NP, it really needs a set.
Also going with Brobat and Hypno in that you really should slash Sub alongside Taunt on the NP set. It is incredibly useful for blocking status and getting past Sucker Punch on offensive targets..

Agreed sub calm mind deserves its own set for mismagius forces a lot of switches to enable to get a free sub up. The set should be sub/calm mind/shadow ball/and coverage move so snorlax does not wall you to death haha

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As I said in the VM I am still doing this, and I have added Sub to the NP set, and for now I have added a SubCM set, which I will keep unless QC has any objections to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)