Missingno Cup

That being said I would be totally game for glitch Pokemon being implemented on PS, would be a very interesting metagame to explore imo!
Missingno Cup is about trying to analyze the competitive aspects of a metagame with glitch Pokemon and moves allowed. Note that this is an Red/Blue (American) based metagame. Pokemon can still use moves that need to be traded from Yellow (American), however.

Banlist (for now): Glitches that allow for infinite movepools, no game-breaking glitches (such as the Super Glitch moves), 94, 94 h,
, PC4SH (and its clones), Mewtwo, Mew

It's no secret that most glitch Pokemon have very poor stats, or those which are clearly ban-worthy. However, some rise from the ashes to actually be usable!

, or ゥU? for text-only situations, is the member of group #234 with both Softboiled and a name that doesn't burn your eyes. 179 HP, 96 Attack, 209 Defense, 96 Speed... and a petty 21 Special. See why I didn't ban this thing now? Aside from Softboiled, its only good moves are High Jump Kick, Hyper Beam, Strength, Explosion, Pin Missile, Thunder Wave, and Hypnosis, making it very predictable. Admittedly, those are all very good moves, but still.

So, you want a description of
, also potentially known as Aゥ G? Imagine Gengar. Now imagine Gengar with Spore, Amnesia, and Blizzard.
bant

.PKMN is the fastest sleeper in the game with its Hypnosis and 178 speed. It also has Seismic Toss and Softboiled. Neat.

A nameless glitch occupying hex slot E4 and .g share almost identical properties in terms of competitive. While its HP, Attack, and Defense are pitiful, its speed is a cheeky 121... and its Special is a whopping 254! It also gets Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Surf and Softboiled, although those are the only moves it can really use. However, it cannot get past huge walls of Amnesia, and mixed Jolteon sets can pick it off easily. However, it is a potential suspect.

This block... of... red..? is known as
, or, if you prefer, Pゥ 4. While most of its stats are bad, it has an attack of 182. It also gets STAB Submission, Tri-Attack, Pin Missile, and either Thunder Wave or Hypnosis to cripple switchins. Just try to only send it on sleeping or paralyzed 'mons, and predict your foe well.

In addition, many Pokemon get movepool boosts from Glitch Pokemon that can evolve into them. Be sure to talk about your findings with that here!

So, 2 powerful Pokemon, 1 fastest sleeper in the game, 1 niche wallbreaker, and a bunch of movepool boosts. Possibly also more, if I just forgot something. How does this effect the metagame?

Last edited:
PokeWTrainer seems like a formidable threat with 232 HP / 145 defense / 136 special to tank, 128 speed, and STAB Wrap+Self Destruct backed up by 147 attack. But that's not what makes it so deadly.

Bulbapedia said:
Upon encounter, its front sprite freezes the game. The game may also freeze if the player attempts to battle with it. If the Pokédex is viewed after catching
, it will revert to a Rhydon.
If you successfully start the battle with it and lead turn 1, it will display the front sprite on your opponent's screen, but the back sprite on your screen. This will freeze the opponent's game while leaving your game running and instantly win you the battle.

Last edited:
PokeWTrainer seems like a formidable threat with 232 HP / 145 def / 136 special to tank, 147 Atk, and STAB Wrap+Self Destruct backed up by 147 attack. But that's not what makes it so deadly.

If you successfully start the battle with it and lead turn 1, it will display the front sprite on your opponent's screen, but the back sprite on your screen. This will freeze the opponent's game while leaving your game running and instantly win you the battle.
Banned under both "Game-breaking glitches" and "PC4SH (and its clones)". Good to see you're concerned, though.

Ooh, I was thinking of starting something like this myself.

ゥU? and its fellow Pokemaniac-typed brethren would probably push the metagame towards mixed attackers, and Pokemon like Tauros and Golem suffer greatly from having such a strong physical wall that lacks any exploitable weaknesses.

An important glitch move to keep an eye out for is TM40, according to Bulbapedia it raises the user's Speed stat by one stage, which while worse than Agility still cancels Paralysis and for Pokemon around base 90 speed, just one use and it'll outspeed most everything outside of glitchmons like .PKMN. It's especially of note because a lot of glitchmons and some glitch evolutions lack Agility but get the combo of TM40 + partial trapping.

I had made a list of a bunch of moves Pokemon gained through glitch evolutions, but I seem to have lost it. One thing I remember that really stood out is O (hexadecimal index 0xFC), which while statistically terrible (as it is a clone of Magnemite), its glitch movepool gives it a phenomenal moveset and it can evolve into a whopping 7 Pokemon (only 2 are other glitchmons)
O's Useful Moves: Sleep Powder, Clamp, Softboiled, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Mega Drain, Swords Dance, Thunder and Transform (also Aurora Beam if Ice coverage is needed)
O's Evolutions: Cubone, Arcanine, Nidoran-M, Slowpoke, Rhydon, 'M (0x00) and 94 (0xF1, banned, obtained via trading to Yellow and turning it into ゥ$ 4MN ゥ, evolving it into ' B' ゥ, then trading it back to Red/Blue)

Arcanine should have access to a couple other moves the other evolutions can't thanks to O's counterpart's evolution ' B' ゥ, adding Seismic Toss, BubbleBeam, Blizzard, Sludge, TM40 + Wrap, Pin Missile, and Ice Punch for an Aurora Beam upgrade with a lot of PP for freezing. Not completely sure about this though, ゥ$ 4MN ゥ's entry lists that Growlithe is its second evolution (ゥ$ 4MN ゥ > ' B' ゥ > Growlithe), but ' B' ゥ's own entry only shows a pre-evolution and no evolution into Growlithe.

94 and 94 h are definitely absurdly OP with their Arceus-like BST combined with what is probably the single greatest typing combo in RBY (Normal/Ghost has a grand total of 0 weaknesses and 3 immunities which includes Normal-type), but I think they might be fun in an Ubers environment. Mewtwo is still a huge threat with its still excellent BST + typing + instant recovery + Amnesia (94 and 94 h do not learn Amnesia or Growth as far as I can see), and something like 94 and 94 h might expand the Ubers environment beyond dealing with Mewtwo.

On that note, I really think Aゥ G would need to be banned to Ubers. I don't think any other mon gets such a god-tier movepool, especially with 130 Special and 110 Speed.
-Physical Coverage: Explosion, Super Fang, Wrap, Night Shade, Pin Missile, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Slash, Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Drill Peck, Hi Jump Kick, Double Edge, Mega Kick, TM33 (113 BP, 47% accuracy, Normal-type, drains 50% of damage dealt) and Headbutt (for paraflinch if you want it)
-Special Coverage: Blizzard, Fire Blast, Psychic, Fire Spin, Surf, Thunderbolt, Thunder and Mega Drain
-Status Moves: Spore, Amnesia, Recover, Glare, TM40, Confuse Ray, Reflect, Haze, Rest and Substitute

Aゥ G might as well be Hackmons Gengar, being capable of running pretty much anything it wants. Literally the only things I see that possibly check this are Dugtrio, Alakazam and Mewtwo, (Edit: also Starmie, but it fares much worse than Alakazam against Amnesia as it is OHKO'd by Thunderbolt at +2 and usually loses 1v1 if it switches into Thunderbolt) and even then there are problems. They can't directly switch in due to the threat of Spore, and Glare can hit all of them with paralysis after spreading sleep which only Mewtwo wants. Dugtrio also gets OHKO'd by Blizzard and Alakazam needs to crit to break Aゥ G after an Amnesia, and their low physical bulk + the threat of TM40 + Wrap does not bode well for them. Mewtwo's much higher physical bulk + Amnesia + taking Paralysis well I think is needed here to have a solid answer to it.

Aゥ G's Yellow counterpart also evolves into Machoke and Psyduck, so Machamp and Golduck might need looking at too since they also get access to that godly movepool (this is part of the reason I listed all of Aゥ G's phyiscal movepool). Machamp shouldn't be a major issue because of its garbage typing (atleast it finally gets STAB Hi Jump Kick), and even at +1 Speed it is still a bit slower than base 110s which means TM40 sets are answerable, but Golduck has a good typing and decent enough stats to be a very big threat (though probably not quite as ultra-threatening as Aゥ G).

Last edited:
On that note, I really think Aゥ G would need to be banned to Ubers. I don't think any other mon gets such a god-tier movepool, especially with 130 Special and 110 Speed.
-Physical Coverage: Explosion, Super Fang, Wrap, Night Shade, Pin Missile, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Slash, Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Drill Peck, Hi Jump Kick, Double Edge, Mega Kick, TM33 (113 BP, 47% accuracy, Normal-type, drains 50% of damage dealt) and Headbutt (for paraflinch if you want it)
-Special Coverage: Blizzard, Fire Blast, Psychic, Fire Spin, Surf, Thunderbolt, Thunder and Mega Drain
-Status Moves: Spore, Amnesia, Recover, Glare, TM40, Confuse Ray, Reflect, Haze, Rest and Substitute
Oh god I had no idea it had Recover BANNED

I wrote about that from time to time on Old Gens, nice to see someone putting the effort in to bring this to PS ^^ I do not know much about specific glitchmons tbh, but you can count me in as a future player for that format for sure.

Before this actually gets implemented, can we be sure to get Pokemon types correct?

For example, the Normal/Ghost Arceus-like Pokemon actually has two garbage types, which I don't think factor into any STAB or type matchups.
It's got 80 and 88 as the hex values for its two types.

As seen in this table, neither actually correspond to a type.

upload_2016-6-8_17-37-53.png

While it displays as "Normal" and "Ghost", it is actually neither Normal nor Ghost. It is for practical purposes, typeless.

Also, I'm not really sure of the purpose of setting Ubers here. I say just allow everything (at least at first) and see how it plays out. Then we can get a better idea of what really is broken or not, but even so, I think a lot of the fun in glitchmons has to do with abusing broken stuff.

Last edited:
did a writeup a few months back of all the notable legalizations of moves that can be obtained on regular mons. feel free to point out corrections, this was pretty sloppily put together.

Notable legalizations:

Clefable gets Softboiled, Earthquake, Surf, Swords Dance, Sleep Powder, Amnesia, Transform, and Clamp, making it extremely diverse and capable of performing a ton of roles. Illegal with these is Acid Armor

Fearow picks up some interesting moves, including Wrap, Body Slam, Selfdestruct, Surf, Ice Beam, Rock Slide, Bone Club (illegal with Drill Peck), Counter, Hi Jump Kick, and Thunderbolt. Illegal with these moves it picks up Swords Dance, Explosion, Wrap, Mega Drain, and Bone Club, Thunder Wave, Body Slam though Bone Club and Body Slam Thunderwave are illegal with Drill Peck. Certainly sets itself apart from Dodrio now, though it’s still not quite viable.

Vileplume gets Thunderbolt and Explosion, which turns it into a mini Exeggutor. It also gets Psychic. However, these moves are sadly illegal with sleep powder.

Kangaskhan gets Swords Dance making it a potent late game sweeper. It also gets Amnesia, Sleep Powder, Thunder Wave, Softboiled, and Transform, making it a diverse lead. Illegal with these is Acid Armor.

Nidoking gets Swords Dance, Sleep Powder, Recover, Wrap, and Pin Missile. Much more viable, now a potent threat capable of decently fast sleep, sweeping, tanking hits, or spamming wrap along with its already stellar movepool. Swords Dance, Recover, Sleep Powder, and Softboiled Pin Missile, and Wrap are also legal with Transform, Clamp, and Amnesia. Finally, Explosion is legal with Swords Dance, Sleep Powder, and Pin Missile. Nidoking’s power to sleep opposing leads and immediately threaten with SD, Amnesia, or its stellar movepool.

Charizard gets Transform, Explosion, Wrap, and Softboiled. SD/Fire Blast/Earthquake/Explosion becomes a very real threat. It also gets Sleep Powder but that’s illegal with Explosion or Softboiled.

Marowak gains Sleep Powder, Transform, Amnesia, Softboiled, Clamp, and Thunder Wave, in addition to some special moves.

Arcanine gains Sleep Powder, Swords Dance, Transform, Amnesia, Clamp, Thunder Wave, Aurora Beam, Softboiled, Thunderbolt, Mega Drain, and Surf, allowing it to function as a sleeper lead, Amnesia sweeper, or both. Legal with Swords Dance and Clamp, it gets Earthquake, Explosion, Hypnosis, and Mirror Move. Swords Dance + Softboiled + EQ + Surf is also legal. Extremely diverse.

Golem gets Swords Dance, Leech Seed, and Hi Jump Kick. None of these are extremely useful but they could certainly see use. It also gets Glare and Sing though these are illegal with Leech Seed and Hi Jump Kick. It gets Spore, which is legal with Leech Seed and Swords Dance.

Slowbro gains Thunderbolt, Sleep Powder, Mega Drain, Swords Dance, Transform, Softboiled, and Counter. These are all usable with Amnesia as well though some aren’t with Withdraw.

Rhydon gets Thunder Wave, Sleep Powder, Transform, and Softboiled; all of these making great fillers.

Hypno gets Thunderbolt and Leech Seed. And Swords Dance/Body Slam. Leech Seed and Hypnosis are illegal.

Nidoqueen gets Acid Armor, Thunder Wave, Psychic, and Hi Jump Kick.

Mr. Mime gets Sleep Powder and Ice Punch.

Blastoise gets Swords Dance.

Magneton gets Ice Beam, Sing, and Body Slam.

Machamp gets Amnesia, Sleep Powder, Jump Kick, and Wrap, with Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Fire Blast, and Fire Spin to abuse with Amnesia. Illegal with Amnesia is Pin Missile.

Golduck keeps its access to Amnesia and gets Sleep Powder, Fire Punch, Pin Missile, Double Kick, Bone Club, Fire Spin, and Fire Blast.

Exeggutor gets Ice Beam.

in addition to this, i have found the following glitchmons that are viable. not all of them are from R/B though, but thought i might post them in case anyone is curious.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ゥゥ)

tauros clone that gains access to sing, swords dance, and glare. r/b.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ゥ_.4

like an inverse chansey but not as good. 179/96/209/21/96 stats, which sound pretty great on paper but it has a really shit movepool. gets karate chop for crits, but it's null type so no stab. hyper beam, explosion, are alternatives. it also gets thunder wave, surf for rocks. that's like it though.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ゥ_4-_4

articuno clone that gains access to earthquake, hi jump kick, sleep powder, petal dance, withdraw, explosion, screech, a few others. yellow, which sucks because this is cool as fuck.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki//PkMn_▼PkMn

dodrio clone that loses drill peck but gains access to double kick, fire blast, flamethrower, thunderpunch, amnesia, thunder, and hypnosis. mini-tauros? r/b

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/F_q_,

pidgeot clone that forfeits mirror move but gains access to pin missile, barrier, ice punch, swords dance, and spore. yellow.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ゥ$_6ゥ

jolteon clone that no longer has double kick, pin missile, or agility but now has hydro pump, haze, transform, bone club, sludge, and swords dance. r/b

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_(E4)

bugmon with 14/0/12/254/121 stats. gives it a pretty reasonable amount of special bulk, and while its physical bulk is ass it can switch into some niche things, like nonstabbed body slams and earthquakes. gets access to surf, fire punch, thunderbolt, and blizzard to abuse with its extremely high special. though it seems like a joke it gets wrap along with an extremely high speed, and it's not going to do much damage but it lets it pivot. also gets mega drain, softboiled, and conversion which could all be useful to varying degrees. r/b

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/'v

crashes the game upon being viewed but assuming we have some sort of workaround, here we go. this thing has garbo stats. 58/80/47/82/42, not hard hitting or bulky or fast. typeless. but gets amnesia, transform, sleep powder, softboiled, aurora beam, clamp, surf, thunderbolt, counter, and twave. though it evolves into marowak, nidoking, slowbro, kangaskhan, clefable, or arcanine and those are probably more useful with those moves. r/b.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/7PkMn_'v

tentacruel clone (still gets wrap!) with access to hi jump kick, razor leaf, and explosion.
_______

in addition to all this, figured i would re-evaluate everything (taking into account counterparts). here are the results, with more info.

TRADEBACKS

Takes into account the properties of glitchmons traded between games.

M(FF) is a Charizard clone which loses Slash but gains Leech Seed and Aurora Beam. However, since M in R/B can be obtained from Q in Yellow, M also gains access to Wrap , Ice Beam, Blizzard, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Psychic, and Bubblebeam. Since Q evolves from 4 4 Hy, M can also obtain Softboiled, Hi Jump Kick, and Surf.

Since LM4 evolves into Clefable or Nidoking, they gain access to Sleep Powder, Hydro Pump, Pin Missile, Surf, Psychic, Earthquake, Recover, Swords Dance, and Wrap. However, LM4 becomes 7G in Yellow, meaning these pokemon have access to Thunder Wave as well. 7G evolves into Marowak and a Charizard hybrid, meaning these Mons have access to the aforementioned moves in addition to Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and some other more niche moves.

Triangle 8 evolves into Charizard, giving it access to Pin Missile, Wrap, Softboiled, Transform, Barrier, Flamethrower, and Explosion. In Yellow, this mon turns into g J 1, meaning that Charizard gains access to Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Bubblebeam, Body Slam, and Agility.

4 katakanas evolves into Nidoking in Yellow, giving it access to Swords Dance, Pin Missile, Sleep Powder, Waterfall, Hydro Pump, Bind, and Recover. Since 4 katakanas changes to OPkMn4x in R/B, it means that Nidoking also gains access to Mega Drain and Wrap. OPk evolves into Fearow, meaning that Fearow gains these moves along with Ice Beam, Fire Punch, Bone Club, Psybeam, Thunderpuch, Surf, Earthquake, Seismic Toss, and Body Slam.

M N g evolves into Arcanine in R/B, giving Arcanine access to Swords Dance, Submission, Hypnosis, Earthquake, Clamp, Mirror Move, Rock Slide, and Explosion. When traded to Yellow, M N g becomes F q, giving Arcanine access to its moves, particularly Pin Missile, Spore, Barrier, and Ice Punch.

D4 in Yellow has access to Amnesia, Pin Missile, Jump Kick, Sleep Powder, Fire Spin, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Earthquake, Psychic, Rock Slide, and Surf. It can pass these moves to Golduck and Machamp. However, D4 also becomes A G in R/B, meaning it can also transfer Hi Jump Kick, Spore, Night Shade, Super Fang, Seismic Toss, Recover, Drill Peck, Mega Drain, Explosion, and Slash to Golduck and Machamp.

8 P evolves into Fearow in Yellow, giving it the moves Bubblebeam, Ice Beam, Mega Drain, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Softboiled, and Thunder Wave to work with. It can be traded to R/B to become /PkMn triangle PkMn, giving it the moves Body Slam, Amnesia, Hypnosis, Mirror Move, Double Kick, and Flamethrower.

‘v in R/B evolves into Nidoking, Marowak, and Slowbro, in addition to M which evolves into Clefable and Kangaskhan. The Yellow equivalent – ‘r’r’4 – evolves into Arcanine. This means that all of these pokemon – Nidoking, Slowbro, Clefable, Kangaskhan, and Arcanine – have access to the following moves: Swords Dance, Submission, Earthquake, Counter, Psychic, Softboiled, Surf, Amnesia, Sleep Powder, Transform, Aurora Beam, Clamp, Mega Drain, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, and Rock Slide. Since Clefable and Kangaskhan must first evolve from M, they gain Seismic Toss.

I need some time on some of the more complex lines to really figure them out but this is a good start.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
So can you trade r/b glitch Mons to y and have them still be the same stats and attack or do they change into something else? Also SD Kang + Clamp looks really cool for beating on Golem and then you have either Sleep Powder, EQ, or Soft-Bouled for your last slot

i have always wanted this to exist.

Take Azelfie you can't transfer them yet. that compatibility is supposed to come with sun/moon.

moving to refer too all glitch mons as their hexcode index number. (pc4sh becomes CA, useful method for pokemon with names you can't pronounce)

also do you guys have this implemented on a PS! server somewhere because that would be wonderful :O

moving to refer too all glitch mons as their hexcode index number. (pc4sh becomes CA, useful method for pokemon with names you can't pronounce)

also do you guys have this implemented on a PS! server somewhere because that would be wonderful :O
No and no.

^It would eventually be necessary, though, for glitch Pokemon who have the same name or the same typeable characters in their names. Most sources I've seen put the index number after the name in parentheses, as in 'M (00) and 'M (FF).

^It would eventually be necessary, though, for glitch Pokemon who have the same name or the same typeable characters in their names. Most sources I've seen put the index number after the name in parentheses, as in 'M (00) and 'M (FF).
Moving the goalposts entirely, I see. That's exactly what I had planned.

Huh? This is the first time I've posted in this thread.

And why wouldn't it be possible to include the index number for all glitch Pokemon, rather than just those with similar names?
It's not that it's impossible, it's that it's incredibly tedious. Also, glitchmons differ between Red and Blue.

Also, you were moving the goalposts set by another user.

thats pretty much what i wanted. my example of pcash was a bad example bc its one of the few with an actual name (thats why i thought of it offhand) but a lot of the glitch mons have no recognizable characters in their names whatsoever.

also i did not know glitch mons differed between red and blue, where are you getting this? i know they differ from yellow

Hate to open up an old thread, but I really enjoy this idea and want to see it develop more.

On the topic of the hex codes: Yes, it is annoying, but I think it might be a necessary evil. Considering many glitches have indescribable/the same names, it would be hard to differentiate some from the others without hex codes. For users, having all the glitches labeled by hex codes is actually quite convenient, as some Pokemon are only named by symbols or by a single letter, resulting in a huge list they have to search through or simply not being able to search for them at all. This is a strange journey we embark on, and we knew it wouldn't be easy. It is, in the end, not my say; I merely state an opinion

There are no differences between Red (American) glitches and Blue (American) glitches, but the Japanese forms of both have different glitches from the American and each other. Yellow also has its own set of mons as well. This is fact.

Hate to open up an old thread, but I really enjoy this idea and want to see it develop more.

On the topic of the hex codes: Yes, it is annoying, but I think it might be a necessary evil. Considering many glitches have indescribable/the same names, it would be hard to differentiate some from the others without hex codes. For users, having all the glitches labeled by hex codes is actually quite convenient, as some Pokemon are only named by symbols or by a single letter, resulting in a huge list they have to search through or simply not being able to search for them at all. This is a strange journey we embark on, and we knew it wouldn't be easy. It is, in the end, not my say; I merely state an opinion

There are no differences between Red (American) glitches and Blue (American) glitches, but the Japanese forms of both have different glitches from the American and each other. Yellow also has its own set of mons as well. This is fact.
Well, new meat, at the present this is based strictly on American Red/Blue. We honestly don't have enough info on Japanese glitch Pokemon, and if we were to go universal that would be a necessity. And then naming things would get even MORE complicated...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)