Ladder Mix and Mega

Pinsirite Cobalion's difficulty keeping its health up can be a bit of a nuisance in longer matches (Though Wish support from Sablenite Blissey can largely handle that), exacerbated by switching its typing to being neutral to Stealth Rock instead of doubly resistant, but yeah it's a surprisingly good Pokemon/Mega Stone combination. Its movepool is surprisingly broad, as well, giving it the ability to custom-beat certain kinds of checks. 108 pre-Mega Speed is also excellent, as so many of the meta's threats actually have less than that as a base Speed -Pinsirite Cobalion will tend to outspeed things both before and after Mega Evolution, which can be killer.

Historically, it's also had the advantage that people almost always turn to either Fighting or Ground for trying to beat it, and it becomes neutral to the first and immune to the second. It can very often get a Swords Dance up on Pokemon expecting to OHKO it easily, and then stomp them. As it becomes better-known, that advantage will tend to go away, as I don't think Cobalion has any other Mega Stones that work that well for it -I suppose Altarianite is workable on it- and so it will become the default expectation that it's Pinsirite, but classically the surprise advantage was big.

The Aerodactylite would be better as Cobalion lacks Attack power and 128 base Speed is still enough to outrun pre mega Weavile, Pidgeottite Victini, Pidgeottite Mew and Sceptilite Manaphy.

Last edited:
At the moment Partners in Crime is leading, but that could still change. Gods and Followers had a resurge, so it's still possible. If not, there's always March

There are, the first is the one chosen by the players. The second is one chosen by the Tier leaders. Typically they'll pick one which hasn't won before, or is quite obscure. Mix & Mega is neither.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok I got a some noms:

Zygarde to S:

Let me showcase the two prime sets:

Altarianite

New Stats:
HP: 108
Atk: 140
Def: 141
Sp.Atk: 121
Sp.Def: 95
Spd: 95

Pinsirite

New Stats:
HP: 108
Atk: 130
Def: 141
Sp.Atk: 91
Sp.Def: 115
Spe: 115

These are it's two best sets imo. Zygrade is one of the best -ate speeders in the meta after Dragonite was banned. Dragon/Fairy and Dragon/Flying are both amazing offensive types and they are backed up by amazing balanced stats. This let's it be able to easily set up Dragon Dance's and start sweeping with it's perfect ground and dragon coverage. It deals with most of the meta's most prominent threats in Terrakion, Primal Groudon and Heatran. It was S beforehand, and I never really understood why it was brought down, it clearly is one of the most meta defining pokemon imo. It can even run SubCoil to beat status users and is great vs stall teams. There really isn't anything else much to say, it really is a great mon, taking Dragonite's role as an amazing -ate speed sweeper.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there any particular reason why Mix & Mega doesn't have a permanent ladder on Showdown, like Inverse, STABmons, AAA, and Tier Shift? If it's basically winning OMOTM voting the first month that it's eligible again after winning previously, it clearly has enough demand.

Is there any particular reason why Mix & Mega doesn't have a permanent ladder on Showdown, like Inverse, STABmons, AAA, and Tier Shift? If it's basically winning OMOTM voting the first month that it's eligible again after winning previously, it clearly has enough demand.
The same could be said about Inheritance though. That metagame was crazy popular - arguably the most popular OM of it's time - and yet it never managed to get a permaladder in spite of popular request from the community (i think, could be wrong tho) :/ honestly popularity doesn't guarantee a meta's spot on the coveted permaladder. In fact i'm not entirely sure what does.

And we're back with an OMotM ladder. Right after the 6 month period ended too. I look forward to it and the new potential stuff.
Also some replies to stuff.

Funbot28 Zygarde isn't really S rank material imo. It's good, sure, but has a bunch of things that easily beat it. Glalieite Weavile easily brings it down no matter what set it runs. Levitating/Flying steels pretty much hard counter everything it does and can easily Phaze/Status it. What really ruins it is the lack of ground typing, which means that not only does it not get T-Wave immunity, it loses STAB on EQ. It's still A+ rank, but no further.

Aluminion Hoopa-U has already been dicussed. It's not remotely even broken due to it suffering from the same flaws it has in OU, no matter what stone it has. That being a poor defense stat and a mediocre speed. Any stone it could run to patch up said flaws is generally done better by something else; an example being diancite: It boosts Hoopa's speed a bunch and gives it amazing offenses at the cost of being Deo-A frail. Except that Gengar does that a whole lot better, being faster and having a useful typing and an awesome pre-mega speed stat. It pretty much is the same with any other stone it could run. I would say it might be mid-B, even B+ due to the amount of punch it has, but it's just not fast enough to really do anything really well.

ChrystalFalchion , Aerodactylite is best used to boost coverage options and STABs. Pinsirite grants a new, better, typing and gives it a powerful STAB option. It's coverage options either don't need any real boosting, or can't be boosted at all with Tough Claws.

YES IT'S BACK.

To celebrate, here's switch in to Red Orb Victini:

Golurk @ Blue Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock / Rock Polish (gotta go 252 Jolly for RP)
- Stone Edge / Heavy Slam (Since you're a fat one with dat 78 extra kg)

YO BASE 174 ATTACK

BLUE FLARE? NOPE
BOLT STRIKE? NOPE
FOCUS BLAST? NOPE

upload_2016-1-31_23-19-9.png

Currently 61-0 with my team, was 170 points ahead of second place on the ladder. It's sooo fun. Good god. Manaphy is still a complete monster, reckinh every playstyle equally well! Primal groudon is still great and Gengar seems even better. Gonna try too make stall great again -trump 2k16

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I'm glad this is back!

Aggronite is a perfect stone for a crocune set, gets wall by red orb but what water type doesn't?
I recommend it over Slowbronite for a few reasons. While mono water typing has always served Suicune well, Water/Steel is even better.

at the cost of being:
  • neutral to fire
  • weak to ground
  • weak to fighting

you gain:
  • normal resistance
  • flying resistance
  • rock resistance
  • bug resistance
  • psycic resistance
  • dragon resistance
  • fairy resistance
while retaining your steel, water, ice resistances from mono water typing, gaining a grass neutrality due to the steel typing, and to top it off a beautiful immunity to toxic

amazing 100/165/135 bulk with filter and calm mind lol
this thing is just stupid because most teams dont have multiple ways of dealing with it
bop the red orb user, the thunderus, the terrakion etc.. and call it a day

Last edited:
Looks good, but the big problem here is Red Orb users. most of the time, they'll bop YOU first, and if said Red Orb user is a Victini.....

252+ SpA Victini Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune in Harsh Sunshine: 345-406 (85.3 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Victini Blue Flare vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune in Harsh Sunshine: 229-271 (56.6 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune in Harsh Sunshine: 222-262 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Bad Things happen.

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Suicune: 207-244 (51.2 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Suicune: 240-285 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And for both of these threats, many things in the meta have issues switching in on either.

Imo, the new resistances aren't worth it, as Sablenite CroCune has issues with none of the aforementioned Types. Sure the Grass neutrality and being less weak to Electric moves are nice, but when you compare Aggronite Cune to Sablenite Cune, the superior one is obvious. Also, Toxic immunity isn't really a big deal when you've got rest.

252 Atk Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This is against the Sablenite version

+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 258-306 (79.8 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
AggroCune Scald

+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 306-360 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
SableCune Scald

It works, but the problem is that unless your Sablenite/Slowbronite slot is filled, it's better to use either of those.

Slowbronite Cune > Sablenite Cune. Status isn't a big deal since you've got Rest, the boosts are more helpful, and it means something else can use the Sablenite. Also, CM Slowbronite Suicune should run a spread of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD with a Bold nature - it lets you avoid a 2HKO from Pidgeottite Gengar's Thunder after a Calm Mind.

252 SpA Pidgeottite Gengar Thunder vs. +1 248 HP / 156 SpD Slowbronite Suicune: 170-200 (42.1 - 49.6%)

Also, something I've been using with good results:

Togekiss @ Red Orb
Ability: Serene Grace (doesn't matter)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Morning Sun
- Heal Bell / Dazzling Gleam

170 Special Attack, 115/115 defences, Red Orb Togekiss is a fantastic tank. It can counter Glalicite Weavile, Keldeo, CroCune and Manaphy that lack Hidden Power Ground. As for the STAB, Flamethrower is more reliable while Fire Blast is more powerful. Solar Beam wrecks the Rock and Water types that resist it. Morning Sun heals 66% HP in Sun. Heal Bell cures the team of status; Dazzling Gleam could be used as an alternate STAB.

Last edited:
Slowbronite Cune > Sablenite Cune. Status isn't a big deal since you've got Rest, the boosts are more helpful, and it means something else can use the Sablenite. Also, CM Slowbronite Suicune should run a spread of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD with a Bold nature - it lets you avoid a 2HKO from Pidgeottite Gengar's Thunder after a Calm Mind.
SlowCune is pretty much the equal of SableCune due to SlowCune being massive Taunt bait and lacking the Sp. Def of SableCune. SlowCune makes up for it with better power and defense without a speed drop. But otherwise they're pretty much equal.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I guess the set you should use depends on what team it's on, what suits the team better. I use aggroncune because it meshes well with my red orb zapdos. Zapdos being able to check a lot of the orb users(except the very most prominent one: pdon)-both red and blue.

Last edited:
Just wondering, but why is gengarite banned on gengar, considering this is an uber based metagame. Was it over the top considering you are able to have multiple megas on one team?

Checking the OP I noticed Shadow tag is banned entirely, personally I have no problem with this, just looking for a possible explanation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)