M&M Mix and Mega

While this galvantula set is really good, and can definitely outspeed a good portion of the things in the meta, it gets OHKOed by just about any pheromosa, which a lot of people lead wtih
It's simply a good excuse to pair Galvantula with either a Ghost-type or an -ate speeder, which you should probably have both of at this point, anyways. And a bunch of Ghosts that hit hard tend to appreciate Sticky Webs, and most notably, Red Orb Chandluere, which is devastating to most slowpokes. (Gengar likes getting the jump on Pheromosa, too)
(Also, predicting between Pheromosa and Pidgeotite Gengar or something is simply part of the lead game, and I hate it)

P R I M A L

G Y A R A D O S

For some reason, this monster's strength has not yet been realised yet, let me explain:

Blue Orb (+50 Attack, +30 Special Attack, +20 Special Defense | Primordial Sea | N/A | +78 kg)

125 -> 175
60 -> 90
100 -> 120

That +50 Attack is something to take advantage of. It makes Gyarados' attack a whopping 175 and combine that shit with Dragon Dance and Waterfall and you have a monster.

Also, Intimidate still activates when you first send it out. Which is great.

Gyarados @ Blue Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Protect / Crunch / Return / Stone Edge / IDK and IDC
- Earthquake

This is just a sample set, change it if you want.
But this shit is honestly monsterous:

+1 252 +1 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey (Sablenite) in Heavy Rain: 435-513 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But Link!
What about Golisopod?

Well, if you DO run Stone Edge...
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

or, with Waterfall...

+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod in Heavy Rain: 151-178 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

A guaranteed 3HKO.

Return...

+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 171-202 (48.3 - 57%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

Or if you use another Dragon Dance:

+2 252+ Atk Gyarados Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 448-528 (126.5 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golisopod in Heavy Rain: 201-237 (56.7 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And with Desolate Land, Stone Edge/Earthquake will OHKO/2HKO those users.

So this is why Gyarados is better the Golisopod w/ Blue Orb.

Do s'more calcs if you are still suspicious. (w/ other mons as well.)

Sweeps:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-557430087

Last edited:
For some reason, this monster has not been realised yet, let me explain:

Blue Orb (+50 Attack, +30 Special Attack, +20 Special Defense | Primordial Sea | N/A | +78 kg)

125 -> 175
60 -> 90
100 -> 120

That +50 Attack is something to take advantage of. It makes Gyarados' attack a whopping 175 and combine that shit with Dragon Dance and Waterfall and you have a monster.

Gyarados @ Blue Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Protect / Crunch / Return
- Earthquake

This is just a sample set, change it if you want.
But this shit is honestly monsterous:

+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey in Heavy Rain: 435-513 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It has been seen before but isn't that great due to a sr weakness and slow speed even after +1 (slower than lucarionite tapu koko). It can get a free turn to setup on red orb mons such as togekiss and pdon (but not raikou), but it usually doesn't get the chance to setup outside of that and gets chipped away by atespeed. Side note, if you are gonna run that gyarados you could opt to have substitute or bounce as other options over the 3rd slot moves that you picked since they are really lackluster options in comparison. Also change the extra 4hp evs to 4def evs so you can switch into rocks 4 times instead of 3 without dying.

Edit due to more being posted: Why did you have golisopod as the ultimate counter to gyarados? Yes it resists waterfall and eq but what does goli do back outside of toxic? Honestly it's another reason to use sub in the 3rd slot. You also only posted one replay which was against an opponent in who had a rating of 1213 before this loss. His team was absolute trash and would lose to any competent mnm player with a viable team (he didn't even mega evolve his Blissey). Calcs only prove so much, yes a mon with a stat boost and a weather damage boost will do a lot of damage. But what you also need to consider is how well it can take hits or if it can outspeed the incoming attackers, because if you can't take the hit or outspeed them then you might not be able to deal that damage at all. There is a reason why gyarados is in B in the viability rankings and even there blue orb isn't even said to be a viable option for gyarados.

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
I'm not playing the meta since the Dragonite suspect.
How is Pheromosa now that can use even the Pidgeotite?

I'm not playing the meta since the Dragonite suspect.
How is Pheromosa now that can use even the Pidgeotite?
It's scary. Pidgeotite gives phero a way to smash through bulkier, more defensive builds by being able to set up and spam stab focus blast without worrying about potentially losing half of its health due to hjk on a ghost type or a miss. The bit on focus blast also holds true in against all teams, it removes part of the risk for using phero's strongest move. But what makes phero so terrifying to play against in my opinion is the possibility of it running a stone other than what you expect. You could be expecting/prepped for a standard metagrossite/lucarionite phero and switch in your check, get qd' on and lose your check and end up having to play from behind. It also works the opposite way, you could have a deo-s lead vs phero and you click psycho boost thinking that it might be pidgeotite or lucarionite thus you would outspeed and kill but then you die to metagrossite and lose your way of getting hazards up. Tl;Dr Pidgeotite gave phero a way to remove risk related to its strongest stab move while added another level of mindgames that your opp has to deal with in megastone variety.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Anyone know of a good spread for Sablenite Magearna? I've just been running 248 HP/ 8 Def/ 252 SpD with a calm nature.
I personally run max HP and max special attack with a Modest Nature since Magearna still soaks up the special hits it needs to even without investment and it allows it to hit hard.

when diancite comes out pher better be banned, otherwise im quitting the meta cos that shits gonna be ridiculous
Sure, both defenses are set down to 1, as 37-40 is a negative number, but who cares when you have 197 Attack, 197 Special Attack, and 211 Speed?

Sure, both defenses are set down to 1, as 37-40 is a negative number, but who cares when you have 197 Attack, 197 Special Attack, and 211 Speed?
Glass Cannon wouldn't be doing Phero justice. More like "Fragile Nuke".
However with Diancite it loses no guard and has to rely on not missing it's only effect STABs, but at that point you could probably just run Bug Buzz, Ice Beam and u-turn and still be fine and dominate most of the meta.

Glass Cannon wouldn't be doing Phero justice. More like "Fragile Nuke".
However with Diancite it loses no guard and has to rely on not missing it's only effect STABs, but at that point you could probably just run Bug Buzz, Ice Beam and u-turn and still be fine and dominate most of the meta.
252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal: 211-250 (52.3 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
What is this garbage

Last edited:
What you're telling us is that.... my Xurkitree set from the very beginning that I pointed to is now possible.

Time to take it for a spin. While not quite as versatile as Altarianite, it's still a nice stone.
And yes, I did just say that about a stone with a useless ability. Deal with it. The stat boosts are real nice for specially-based tanks, and Fairy typing is nice, too.

E: I suppose a set will be nice so that you all have a good spread, too.

Xurkitree @ Audinite
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball

I realize that this variant of Xurkitree isn't the best, but it has some surprising bulk and a shockingly annoying type, which a stallbreaker appreciates. Speed EVs are for creeping Primal Groudon, even with some investment. (It's important, because without it, Primal Groudon and other uninvested base 90s will outspeed.)

Last edited:
When i first read that i was kinda shocked but i have to admit it has some assets that could make the Audinite worth the try.
Tail glow is the center of the set and you'll have to set up carefuly, but electric-fairy is quite nice and kinda makes the Pinsirite users a bit less threatening

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I'm happy to announce that Jordn has been added to the council. After much deliberation, we have all agreed that he will fit the fifth slot perfectly, especially with his knowledge and experience within the metagame. We have no doubt that he will be great.

Additionally, the council are currently in the process of discussing the next suspect test. I'd like to know what the community thinks is worthy of a suspect at this current point in time, even though we have virtually decided on what we're suspecting.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
I'd like to know what the community thinks is worthy of a suspect at this current point in time, even though we have virtually decided on what we're suspecting.
PHEROMOSA!!! With no doubt.
With Lucarionite, it does too much damage, with Metagrossite, it outspeeds Scarf Lunala, with Pidgeotite can be countered only predicting a Quiver Dance with a Pinsirite Extreme Speed user.

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Thanks Chloe!

For my inaugural post, I will share a set that has taken me to The

Hey you. Yeah you! Do you struggle with Pheromosa? Now with Pidgeotite it sure can be a handleful! Do you struggle with Golisopod? How about Blissey (without Cm/Coverage). Well struggle no more, for there's a new sheriff in town and it goes by the name Chandelure

Chandelure @ Red Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Pain Split/Calm Mind

This set has caused havoc to many a poor soul. Pheromosa turns from a threat into set up opportunities, Blissey turns from a special wall into free 100% hp. If people rely on, say, Golisopod/Giratina as a strong core for fire types, (See: Primal Groudon) odds are this is going to be a fun game.

Since Chandelure STABS have such few answers, having Substitute is a really risk free way to make sure you're using the optimal move on whatever switch in your opponent goes in to. I'd wager every single game Chandelure has a free substitute, since many of the Pokemon he counters are incredibly common.

The set is pretty straightforward. Shadow Ball is it's best ghost-type STAB move, therefore it was a no-brainer. Flamethrower vs Fire Blast is a debate people like to have. The extra power should not go unnoticed, however, in my opinion, Flamethrower is far superior. The 100% accuracy coupled with it's extra PP makes it a much better fit. Chandelure is not a sweeping pokemon, its goal that it achieves so well, is putting immense pressure on the opponent, and will often punch holes right through teams. The ability to not miss Flamethrower can be the difference between a win or a loss. Substitute, as mentioned allows you to bypass predictions. It also is essential for stall matchups, since stall relies heavily on toxic (Looking at you blissey). Finally, Pain Split/Calm Mind is something I really don't struggle with. I exclusively use Pain Split here, however, for stall matchups, Calm mind can be something to consider. While Blissey can usually do nothing to Chandy behind a sub, My Chandy can only Pain Split. While that is actually a really nice perk, If you want to actually break Blissey, Calm Mind is what you're looking for.

Anyway that's the set. It's been a while since I posted a set on here, so I hope you all enjoyed.

Glad to be a part of the team!

I have a Chandelure set too:

Chandelure @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Inferno
- Energy Ball
- Hex
- Substitute

An Inferno that always hits (even if the opponent is using Shadow Force). Pokemon that get burned by Inferno then can be finished off with a 130 power Hex.

The above two sets also really shred the floor with Sticky Webs up, which makes them even better.

As for the next suspect, there's two ideas in my head, and I'm personally hoping we get at them both with this one.

First of all, Genesect. It already has access to its best stone, and not only has access to the tools it had previously, including the busted Techno Blast, it also has access to Fell Stinger to really put the heat on anything trying to fodder so that the next thing can come in safely. It can also pivot, meaning it can later sit in the back for the opponent's defense to deteriorate enough for Genesect to safely clean. It's stupidly powerful, even with Zapdos and opposing -ate speeders around, and I feel that a suspect is necessary.

The second and final idea for a suspect is Pheromosa. Indeed, I hope this is suspected with Genesect, in order to save time. Like Genesect, Pheromosa is a pivot that doesn't like -ate speed. Unlike Genesect, Pheromosa is both fast and powerful, being able to take anything that isn't a Ghost out with its STAB and Ice and Poison-type coverage. It doesn't have many setup moves, but it also does not have the bulk to setup safely, either. For being an incredible cleaner/win condition that can pivot, I hope Pheromosa receives a suspect, too.

I'm happy to announce that Jordn has been added to the council. After much deliberation, we have all agreed that he will fit the fifth slot perfectly, especially with his knowledge and experience within the metagame. We have no doubt that he will be great.

Additionally, the council are currently in the process of discussing the next suspect test. I'd like to know what the community thinks is worthy of a suspect at this current point in time, even though we have virtually decided on what we're suspecting.
I think Xerneas needs a suspect. I get that it can't go mega, but Z Geomancy destroys everything. I've used it as of late with RestTalk and Moonblast, and anything, even resisted hits, are OHKOs. I just think it's just too powerful.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
I think Xerneas needs a suspect. I get that it can't go mega, but Z Geomancy destroys everything. I've used it as of late with RestTalk and Moonblast, and anything, even resisted hits, are OHKOs. I just think it's just too powerful.
Z Geomancy set doesn't use Sleep Talk but Ingrain.
Also it is countered by Heart Swap Magearna and the physical attackers can enter on Geomancy and do tons of damage (especially Golisopod)

Z Geomancy set doesn't use Sleep Talk but Ingrain.
Also it is countered by Heart Swap Magearna and the physical attackers can enter on Geomancy and do tons of damage (especially Golisopod)
Okay, the ingrain is on me. Also, I have literally NEVER seen Heart Swap Magearna, let alone Magearna period in MnM. Also, if Xerneas lives the first hit (Which it likely will with +1 Defense), it will outspeed the next turn then proceed to OHKO. Then it can just use Rest to heal anything the foe did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)