Mixed Attacker Emboar (QC 4/3) [GP 2/2]

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/emboar/ru

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Wild Charge / Sleep Talk
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
nature: Rash
evs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Emboar is most commonly seen using its incredible Attack stat with its high Base Power physical attacks, you shouldn't forget that Emboar has a solid Special Attack stat with some great special attacks as well. This set aims to use Emboar's often overlooked Special Attack stat to catch some conventional counters to Emboar off guard without giving up Emboar's ability to check the likes of Escavalier and Absol.</p>

<p>Fire Blast lets Emboar beat Steelix, Tangrowth, and even Qwilfish without taking recoil damage, as they are all either OHKOed or 2HKOed. Stealth Rock support is needed to 2HKO Qwilfish, however. Superpower hits Pokemon such as Entei and opposing Emboar hard and is also Emboar's best bet against incoming Lanturn. The stat drops aren't nearly as detrimental to this set due to Emboar's larger reliance on special attacks. Grass Knot deals with the physical walls that Fire Blast cannot; Poliwrath, Rhydon, and Alomomola are all hit incredibly hard while defensive Slowking is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. The last slot either reinforces Emboar's coverage or gives it some added utility. Wild Charge is generally preferred for the more consistent hit on Slowking and Qwilfish, but Emboar will need Stealth Rock support in order to 2HKO Slowking. It also gives Emboar a way to KO Moltres on the switch with Stealth Rock support, as it walls this set otherwise. Sleep Talk is a viable option as well, as Emboar matches up well against most sleep inducers in the tier. However, do note that Emboar lacks the Speed and bulk that its other sets have, which can sometimes hurt it when trying to absorb sleep and still defeat its inducer.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The nature and EV spread aim to get the most out of Emboar's solid Special Attack stat. 184 Speed EVs are required to outspeed defensive Qwilfish and ensure Emboar can land two hits on it before being hit with a possible Waterfall. The remaining EVs go into Attack to pump up Superpower and Wild Charge. A Rash nature is used so Emboar's physical bulk isn't comprimised, thus allowing it to still deal with Escavalier and Spiritomb relatively well. Expert Belt is the recommended hold item for mixed Emboar, as it has great super effective coverage and is able to bluff a Choice item very well. For example, it can predict a Slowking switch-in with Wild Charge and then surprise an incoming Pokemon with an Electric-type immunity, such as Rhydon or Manectric, with the appropriate move. However, Life Orb is a possibility for a more consistent power boost. Be sure to watch Wild Charge usage with Life Orb though, as the combined recoil will quickly take its toll on Emboar if it's used too excessively. Hidden Power Ice is the most notable other option to consider for this set, as it can handle Druddigon. Hidden Power Electric can be used if you desire an OHKO on Qwilfish after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. Finally, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Lanturn. However, Superpower will generally handle it well enough over time anyway due to Lanturn's lack of reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Like with any other offensive Pokemon, Emboar appreciates Stealth Rock support to turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs. With Stealth Rock support, Emboar is able to 2HKO Qwilfish with Fire Blast and 2HKO Slowking with Wild Charge. Offensive teams can turn to the likes of Omastar, Smeargle, and Crustle for early-game Stealth Rock support, and more balanced teams can find Golurk, Rhydon, and Druddigon to be effective. Mesprit is perhaps the most notable Stealth Rock user due to its ability to get Emboar in safely with U-turn, as it commonly draws out the likes of Steelix and Absol for Emboar to handle. Emboar struggles with Uxie and Mesprit, as it can't immediately overwhelm them nor can it outspeed them. For this reason, Escavalier makes for a fine partner; not only can it trap these Psychic-types with Pursuit, but it can also run Sleep Talk so Emboar doesn't have to worry about having to use it. Gallade is a great offensive partner for this set as Emboar can lure in and 2HKO Slowking, one of Gallade's most prominent checks. If Emboar decides to use a Life Orb, then Rapid Spin support from Kabutops can be a worthy addition to ensure Emboar doesn't wear down too quickly. Because this Emboar is able to handle most physical walls in RU, fast physical attackers are great teammates to take advantage of the holes it punches into the opposing team. With Steelix and Rhydon out of the way, Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary will have few problems with going on a late-game sweep. If Emboar is able to successfully eliminate Tangrowth, then Rock Polish Torterra becomes a very terrifying foe to face, while a fallen Qwilfish or Poliwrath will make Durant's life much easier. Fast special attackers can also be effective; Sceptile, Galvantula, Choice Scarf Rotom-C, and Shell Smash Omastar all appreciate special walls being weakened or outright KOed.</p>

Last edited:
I don't really have time to test this and look at it fully but...

188 Speed EVs to outspeed most defensive variants of Qwilfish and anything slower
164 Speed EVs outspeed 0 Spe Qwilfish. I'm not sure what 188 outspeeds, but if it is some sort of Qwilfish that isn't invested fully but still has some EVs, that is considered speed creeping.

Durant loves not having to worry about Qwilfish and Poliwrath
This variant of Emboar still loses to Qwilfish tbh. Fire Blast fails usually to 2HKO with an Expert Belt...

252 SpAtk Emboar (+SpAtk) Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Qwilfish: 43.11% - 51.2%

...wheras Grass Knot and Superpower pretty much will never KO it. Qwilfish isn't exactly "lured in" either, and its probably going to switch out if it gets caught be a Fire Blast or cripple it heavily by attacking it or paralyzing it if it switches into a Superpower or Grass Knot. Sure, Fire Blast smokes it, but it doesn't eliminate it and Wild Charge on, say, CB smokes it too.

Lanturn is matched up better with this Emboar than any other variant of it because it is very light and very specially bulky, resulting in Grass Knot doing pitiful amounts of damage so any mentions of it being lured in should probably be removed as well.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As an avid user of mixed Emboar, I'd like to see some mentions of Wild Charge or even HP Electric on this set. Electric-type coverage is really great for Emboar, with (factoring in Ebelt) Wild Charge 2HKOing standard Slowking and HP Electric 2HKOing Alomomola, no hazards required. HP Electric also OHKOes Qwilfish after SR + 1 layer of Spikes. Definitely at least AC material. :)

ok, hi, I've used this myself quite a bit, pretty damn extensively back when I was doing emboar's revamp even, so if I may I'd like to mention a few things. First and fore-mostly, I am really against the use of Sleep Talk on Mixed Emboar, because quite frankly it isn't a very effectual sleep absorber. The reason Choice Scarf / Band Emboar make good sleep absorbers because they are capable of effectively switching into most Sleep inducing 'mons and incentivizing those sleep inducers to switch out; Scarf Emboar is capable of outpacing offensive Sleep inducers and offering a large chance to deal lethal or dangerously high amounts of damage on the return, whereas CB Emboar retained the bulk to sponge a couple hits from most common Sleep inducers (LO Jynx being the most notable exception) and return with a very powerful STAB attack. Mixed Emboar carries neither of these traits, being both too slow and too frail (not archeops frail mind you, but frail for lack of a better term) to properly threaten such Pokemon. Moreover, due to its limited investment in Attack, the only move Emboar packs that can threaten significant damage to most sleep inducers (read: 2hko on average) is Fire Blast, meaning that this variant of Emboar has a 33% chance to actually fulfill its required role should you be utilizing it as your sleep absorber of choice. While it can always pocket the sleep and switch out, this is (at least imo) far from ideal, and the slot for a sleep absorber would be much better filled by a 'mon like Druddigon or Escavalier on such a team.

That said, I would consider a few things. First of all, I'd agree with Dat Blast in that Wild Charge / HP Electric should be given consideration, ideally in the final moveslot. GK is definitely worth keeping, the extra damage against 'mons such as Golurk and Rhydon (as well as allowing it to break down chance Qaugsires and so forth) is definitely an invaluable tool in core-breaking, though electric coverage is definitely clutch in breaking down all the bulky waters of the tier, especially with Momo and Qwilfish seeing a lot more usage. Moreover, should these slashes be used, I'd consider either changing the main spread or mentioning in AC that 112 Atk EVs ensures Wild Charge 2HKO's standard defensive Slowking. I'd also give short mention to hp ice in ac for those desperately in need of a Drudd lure, since ideally this is being utilized to core-break and / or bait 'mons such that sweeper x or y can clean up '~' Oh yeah, and it is currently speed creeping as Swamp Rocket mentions, so that may be worth fixing :>

edit: totally missed the hp ice point somehow, whoops x_x also, and this may full well just be me being stupidly picky, but could we please leave out mentions of spikes support in the AC? Everything ever doesn't mind having the opponent take the extra 12.5+% coming in, but there are 'mons that are actually really good with Spikes (Rotom-C, Kangaskan, Flying-types as a whole, etc.) who should be actively encouraged to be paired with Spikes in order to really thrive. Mixed Emboar is actually one of the best examples of an offensive 'mon that can get all the KOs it needs with SR alone that I can think of off the top of my head, do we really need to mention something as generalized as that for him? =(

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, time to cover a few things:

@Swamp-Rocket yeah, I mention that SR support is needed to 2HKO Qwilfish with Fire Blast when I explain why Fire Blast is the main STAB. Also, on the Lanturn point, it's still not taking Superpower well at all. (still 2HKOed after SR)

@Dat Blast and @col49 - added Wild Charge as a slash (along with the alternate EV spread in AC) also added HP Electric to AC. Still not sure on the slash order with Sleep Talk and Wild Charge though.

As for the speed creeping issue, most Qwilfish run 16 Spe EVs. However, it was still speed creeping by 4 EVs and this was my mistake as I changed the Speed EVs when I was testing HP Ice and forgot to change them back. Anyways, long story short, fixed this.

I guess the big thing left to determine is the slash order for Sleep Talk and Wild Charge.

Add Kabutops as a recommended partner for when you use Life Orb so Emboar doesn't die to residual damage very quickly. Kabutops + Emboar + RP Torterra (which you mentioned) makes a solid offensive FWG core.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
slash wild charge before sleep talk please, losing the stronger hit on slowking and qwilfish just isn't worth it considering they're way better in the metagame atm than any of mola/quaggy/rhydon and the point of this set should be to wallbreak through as much as you can before bringing out the big guns. absorbing sleep is always nice hence why it should stay slashed, but i think the hit on slowking/qwilfish is just too important

Otherwise this set is fine

QC Approved 1/3

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks pretty good to me, mixed Emboar is a cool set, but as Oglemi mentioned Wild Charge should probably be slashed before sleep talk

QC Approved 2/3

EonX

Battle Soul
Thanks for the checks guys. Switched Wild Charge and Sleep Talk slash order. This should be written up soon (by tomorrow)

[SET]

• I think you mean 72 Atk for the EV spread.
  • HP Ice should probably be slashed with Grass Knot because Druddigon is such a common switch-in to Emboar, but it's not really too big of a deal so it's up to you.

[SET COMMENTS]

• Tangrowth and Steelix already get 2HKOed by Flare Blitz on the other sets so if you're going to mention those two, say how Fire Blast doesn't come with the drawback of recoil damage.
  • Cryogonal isn't going to be staying in on any Emboar, so replace that mention with getting neutral coverage on stuff like Entei and opposing Emboar, or find another special wall that Superpower does well against.
  • Mention that Wild Charge 2HKOes Slowking after SR
  • Important: You need to explain how, if using Expert Belt, this set is a good lure. For example, you can use Wild Charge to predict a Slowking switch-in, and if they think you're choiced, you can use Fire Blast as they switch to an Electric resist like Manectric. You don't need that exact example, but definitely include this in the set comments since that's where you explain how to use the mon.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Slowking is already 2HKOed by Wild Charge unless I'm being dumb for some reason: 72 Atk Expert Belt Emboar Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 144 Def Slowking: 202-238 (51.39 - 60.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • If you keep HP Ice in AC, remove the mention of Altaria since it's almost nonexistent in RU.
  • "Hidden Power Electric can be used if you desire an OHKO on Qwilfish after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. Finally, Earthquake is the strongest move Emboar has on Qwilfish and it also makes quick work of Lanturn." - Might not be seeing this right but didn't you say HP Electric OHKOes Qwilfish in the line before? Plus I don't think Earthquake OHKOes either and Grass Knot already 2HKOes both Pokemon, so I don't think you need to mention Earthquake.
  • If you're going to say that SR turns 2HKOs into OHKOs, give specific examples.
  • You can remove the thing about having Spikes support (especially because you said it wasn't absolutely necessary). As I said in the PM Oglemi sent, we're trying to get rid of general mentions of hazards, and it's pretty obvious from your bit about SR and stuff in the set comments that Emboar appreciates all hazards.
  • I don't know if I would really stack Fire-types in this tier because of how hard it is to keep SR off the field without using Kabutops, but another mon that capitalizes on what Emboar lures in and KOes is Gallade, since it likes the removal of Slowking especially.

I'll take another look at this after you add in the changes so don't put it through GP yet :>

EonX

Battle Soul
Thanks for the check Scrafty.

@DittoCrow I think I got most of your changes. Main issue I had was the Grass Knot 2HKO on Lanturn. Lanturn's weight says screw that. Earthquake is a solid 2HKO while Superpower even does more than Grass Knot.

What about these?
  • I think you mean 72 Atk for the EV spread.
  • Cryogonal isn't going to be staying in on any Emboar, so replace that mention with getting neutral coverage on stuff like Entei and opposing Emboar, or find another special wall that Superpower does well against.
  • Mention that Wild Charge 2HKOes Slowking after SR
  • Important: You need to explain how, if using Expert Belt, this set is a good lure. For example, you can use Wild Charge to predict a Slowking switch-in, and if they think you're choiced, you can use Fire Blast as they switch to an Electric resist like Manectric. You don't need that exact example, but definitely include this in the set comments since that's where you explain how to use the mon.
  • Slowking is already 2HKOed by Wild Charge unless I'm being dumb for some reason: 72 Atk Expert Belt Emboar Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 144 Def Slowking: 202-238 (51.39 - 60.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock <- I don't think shifting the EVs is really necessary lol
  • If you're going to say that SR turns 2HKOs into OHKOs, give specific examples.

EonX

Battle Soul
Ok, changed up the Superpower sentence a bit.
Thought I had already changed the Attack EVs, but apparently it didn't save lol.
Took out the alternate EV spread.
Explained the EBelt thing a bit better (I hope)
Removed the 2HKO to OHKO thing with SR.

Hopefully this is now ready for GP unless I missed something else of course.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Pretty sure this is ready for GP so amcheck

I tore apart the Fire Blast section a good bit, but it's IMO way better the way I did it. Since it's kind of hard to read what I did to it, here it is

Fire Blast lets Emboar beat Steelix, Tangrowth, and even Qwilfish without taking recoil damage, as they are all OHKOed or 2HKOed by Fire Blast, although Stealth Rock is needed to 2HKO Qwilfish.

SET]
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Emboar is most commonly seen using its incredible base 123 Attack stat and high base power physical attacks, one shouldn't forget that Emboar has a solid base 100 Special Attack stat with some great special attacks as well. This set aims to use this often overlooked Special Attack stat to catch some conventional responsecounters off guard, while still giving Emboar the ability to check the likes of Escavalier and Absol.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is this set's main STAB for this set, and it is able to catch quite a few physical walls in RU on their weaker defense stat. Fire Blast lets Emboar beat Steelix, Tangrowth, and even Qwilfish get OHKOed or 2HKOed by Fire Blast. Alwithough Flare Blitz can already handle Steelix and Tangrowtht taking recoil damage, as they lack of recoil allows Emboar to beat these th OHKOed or 2HKOed by Fireats Bland still maintain some longevity. Do note that Emboar will need, although Stealth Rock support in orderis needed to obtain the 2HKO on Qwilfish. Superpower is chosen as Emboar's Fighting STAB on this set. It hits Pokemon such as Entei and opposing Emboar hard, while also being Emboar's best bet against incoming Lanturn. T, and the stat drops aren't nearly as detrimental to this set due to its reliance on more special attacks. Grass Knot deals with the physical walls that Fire Blast cannot., namely Poliwrath, Rhydon, and Alomomola, which are all hit incredibly hard by Grass Knot, while defensive Slowking is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. The last slot will either reinforce Emboar's coverage or give it some utility. Wild Charge is generally preferred for the more consistent hit on Slowking and Qwilfish., although Emboar will need Stealth Rock support in order to 2HKO Slowking though. This also, and gives Emboar a move to catch Moltres on the switch with, as it walls this set otherwise. Sleep Talk is a viable option as well, as Emboar matches up well against most sleep inducers in the tier. However, do note that Emboar lacks the Speed and bulk that its other sets have, which can sometimes hurt it when trying to absorb sleep and still defeat the sleep inducer it switched in onto.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The nature and EV spread aim to get the most out of Emboar's base 100 Special Attack. 184 Speed EVs is required to outspeed defensive Qwilfish to ensure Emboar can land two hits on it before being facedhit with a possible Waterfall. The remaining EVs go into Attack to pump up Superpower and Wild Charge. A Rash nature is used so Emboar can still deal with Escavalier and Spiritomb relatively well. Expert Belt is the recommended hold item for mixed Emboar as it has great super effective coverage and is able to bluff a cChoice item very well. For example, it can predict a Slowking switch-in with Wild Charge and then surprise an incoming Electric resistimmune, such as Rhydon or Manectric, with the appropriate move. However, Life Orb is a possibility for a more consistent power boost. Be sure to watch Wild Charge usage with Life Orb though, as the combined recoil will quickly take its toll on Emboar if one isn't careful. Hidden Power Ice is the most notable option to consider for this set to handlefor Druddigon with. Hidden Power Electric can be used if you desire an OHKO on Qwilfish after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. Finally, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Lanturn. However, Superpower will generally handle it well enough over time anyways due to its lack of reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Like with any other offensive Pokemon, Emboar appreciates Stealth Rock support to turn 3HKOes into 2HKOes. With Stealth Rock support, Emboar is able to 2HKO Qwilfish with Fire Blast and 2HKO Slowking with Wild Charge. Offensive teams can turn to the likes of Omastar, Smeargle, and Crustle for early-game Stealth Rock support, and more balanced teams can find Golurk, Rhydon, and Druddigon to be effective. Mesprit is perhaps the most notable Stealth Rock user for its ability to get Emboar in safely with U-turn as it commonly draws out the likes of Steelix and Absol for Emboar to handle more easily. Emboar struggles with Uxie and Mesprit, as it can't immediately overwhelm them. nor can it outspeed them. For this reason, Escavalier can make for a fine partner. Not only can it trap these Psychic-types with Pursuit, but it can also run Sleep Talk so Emboar doesn't have to worry about having to use it. Gallade is a great offensive partner for this set, as Emboar can lure in and 2HKO Slowking. If Emboar decides to use a Life Orb, then Rapid Spin support from Kabutops can be a worthy investment to ensure Emboar doesn't wear down too quickly. Since this Emboar is able to handle most physical walls in RU, fast physical attackers are great teammates to take advantage of the holes Emboar punches into the opposing team. With Steelix and Rhydon out of the way, Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary will have few problems with going on a late-game sweep with their high powered STAB moves. If Emboar is able to successfully eliminate Tangrowth, then Rock Polish Torterra becomes a very terrifying foe to face, while a fallen Qwilfish or Poliwrath will make Durant's life much easier. Fast special attackers can also be effective. Sceptile, Galvantula, Choice Scarf Rotom-C, and Shell Smash Omastar all appreciate special walls being weakened or outright KOed.</p>

EonX

Battle Soul
Implemented most of your check @tehy. A couple of sentences that I felt went on too long with your changes, so I refrained from those. Otherwise, thanks for the amcheck ^.^

GP check. Good job on writing this.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Emboar is most commonly seen using its incredible base 123 Attack stat and high base power Base Power physical attacks, one shouldn't forget that Emboar it has a solid base 100 Special Attack stat with some great special attacks as well. This set aims to use this often overlooked Special Attack stat to catch some conventional responses off guard, (remove comma) while still giving Emboar the without giving up Emboar's ability to check the likes of Escavalier and Absol.</p>

<p>Fire Blast lets Emboar beat Steelix, Tangrowth, and even Qwilfish without taking recoil damage, as all are OHKOed or 2HKOed by Fire Blast. Stealth Rock support is needed to 2HKO Qwilfish, however. Superpower hits Pokemon such as Entei and opposing Emboar hard while also being and is also Emboar's best bet against incoming Lanturn. The stat drops aren't nearly as detrimental to this set due to its reliance on more special attacks. Grass Knot deals with the physical walls that Fire Blast cannot; namely Poliwrath, Rhydon, and Alomomola, (remove comma) which are all hit incredibly hard (add comma) by Grass Knot while and defensive Slowking is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. The last slot will either reinforce either reinforces Emboar's coverage or give gives it some utility. Wild Charge is generally preferred for the more consistent hit on Slowking and Qwilfish, (change to emdash) although Emboar will need Stealth Rock support in order to 2HKO Slowking though, (change to emdash) and gives Emboar a move to catch Moltres on the switch with as it walls this set otherwise. Sleep Talk is a viable option as well as Emboar matches up well against most sleep inducers in the tier. However, do note that Emboar lacks the Speed and bulk that its other sets have (add comma) which can sometimes hurt it when trying to absorb sleep and still defeat the sleep inducer it switched in to into.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The nature and EV spread aim to get the most out of Emboar's base 100 solid/decent/a word you prefer Special Attack. 184 Speed EVs is are required to outspeed defensive Qwilfish to and ensure Emboar can land two hits on it before being hit with a possible Waterfall. The remaining EVs go into Attack to pump up Superpower and Wild Charge. A Rash nature is used so Emboar can still deal with Escavalier and Spiritomb relatively well. (maybe make some mention if this is instead of a Mild nature to avoid lowering Emboar's physical bulk or whatever reason it is that Rash means it can deal with these threats) Expert Belt is the recommended hold item for mixed Emboar as it has great super effective coverage and is able to bluff a Choice item very well. For example, it can predict a Slowking switch-in with Wild Charge and then surprise an incoming Electric immunity, such as Rhydon or Manectric, with the appropriate move. However, Life Orb is a possibility for a more consistent power boost. Be sure to watch Wild Charge usage with Life Orb though, as the combined recoil will quickly take its toll on Emboar if one isn't careful. Hidden Power Ice is the most notable other option to consider for this set (add comma) to as it can handle Druddigon with. Hidden Power Electric can be used if you desire an OHKO on Qwilfish after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. Finally, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Lanturn. However, Superpower will generally handle it well enough over time anyways anyway due to its lack of reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Like with any other offensive Pokemon, Emboar appreciates Stealth Rock support to turn 3HKOes into 2HKOes 3HKOs into 2HKOs (XHKOes is the verb). With Stealth Rock support, Emboar is able to 2HKO Qwilfish with Fire Blast and 2HKO Slowking with Wild Charge. Offensive teams can turn to the likes of Omastar, Smeargle, and Crustle for early-game Stealth Rock support (add comma) and more balanced teams can find Golurk, Rhydon, and Druddigon to be effective. Mesprit is perhaps the most notable Stealth Rock user for its ability to get Emboar in safely with U-turn as it commonly draws out the likes of Steelix and Absol for Emboar to handle more easily. Emboar struggles with Uxie and Mesprit as it can't immediately overwhelm them nor can it and cannot outspeed them. For this reason, Escavalier can make makes for a fine partner. Not only can it trap these Psychic-types with Pursuit, but it can also run Sleep Talk so Emboar doesn't have to worry about having to use it. Gallade is a great offensive partner for this set as Emboar can lure in and 2HKO Slowking. If Emboar decides to use a Life Orb, then Rapid Spin support from Kabutops can be a worthy investment to ensure Emboar doesn't wear down too quickly. Since Because this Emboar is able to handle most physical walls in RU, fast physical attackers are great teammates to take advantage of the holes Emboar it punches into the opposing team. With Steelix and Rhydon out of the way, Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary will have few problems with going on a late-game sweep. If Emboar is able to successfully eliminate Tangrowth, then Rock Polish Torterra becomes a very terrifying foe to face, while a fallen Qwilfish or Poliwrath will make Durant's life much easier. Fast special attackers can also be effective. Sceptile, Galvantula, Choice Scarf Rotom-C, and Shell Smash Omastar all appreciate special walls being weakened or outright KOed.</p>

GP: 1/2

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Amcheck, great job @EonX- !

ADD
REMOVE
COMMENTS

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Emboar is most commonly seen using its incredible Attack stat and high Base Power physical attacks, one shouldn't forget that Emboar has a solid Special Attack stat with some great special attacks as well. This set aims to use this Emboar's often overlooked Special Attack stat to catch some conventional responses to Emboar off guard, without giving up Emboar's the ability to check the likes of Escavalier and Absol.</p>

<p>Fire Blast lets Emboar beat Steelix, Tangrowth, and even Qwilfish without taking recoil damage, as all are either OHKOed or 2HKOed. Stealth Rock support is needed to 2HKO Qwilfish, however. Superpower hits Pokemon such as Entei and opposing Emboar hard and is also Emboar's best bet against incoming Lanturn. The stat drops aren't nearly as detrimental to this set due to its larger reliance on special attacks. It doesn't rely COMPLETELY on special attacks. Grass Knot deals with the physical walls that Fire Blast cannot; Poliwrath, Rhydon, and Alomomola are all hit incredibly hard (RC) while defensive Slowking is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. The last slot either reinforces Emboar's coverage or gives it some added/extra utility. Wild Charge is generally preferred for the a more consistent hit on Slowking and Qwilfish&mdash;although Emboar will need Stealth Rock support in order to 2HKO Slowking&mdash;and gives Emboar a move to catch Moltres on the switch with, (AC) as it walls this set otherwise. Sleep Talk is a viable option as well, (AC) as Emboar matches up well against most sleep inducers in the tier. However, do note that Emboar lacks the Speed and bulk that of its other sets have, which can sometimes hurt it when trying to absorb sleep and still defeat the sleep its inducer it switched into.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The nature and EV spread aim to get the most out of Emboar's solid Special Attack stat. 184 Speed EVs are required to outspeed defensive Qwilfish, (AC) and ensure Emboar can land two hits on it before being hit with a possible Waterfall. The remaining EVs go into Attack to pump up Superpower and Wild Charge. A Rash nature is used so Emboar's physical bulk isn't comprimised, thus allowing it to still deal with Escavalier and Spiritomb relatively well. Expert Belt is the recommended hold item for mixed Emboar, (AC) as it has great super effective coverage and is able to bluff a Choice item very well. For example, it can predict a Slowking switch-in with Wild Charge and then surprise an incoming Electric-type immunity, such as Rhydon or Manectric, with the appropriate move. However, Life Orb is a possibility for a more consistent power boost. Be sure to watch Wild Charge usage with Life Orb though, as the combined recoil will quickly take its toll on Emboar if one isn't careful. Hidden Power Ice is the most notable other option to consider for this set, as it can handle Druddigon. Hidden Power Electric can be used if you desire an OHKO on Qwilfish after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. Finally, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Lanturn. However, Superpower will generally handle it well enough over time anyway due to its Lanturn's lack of reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Like with any other offensive Pokemon, Emboar appreciates Stealth Rock support to turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs. With Stealth Rock support, Emboar is able to 2HKO Qwilfish with Fire Blast and 2HKO Slowking with Wild Charge. Offensive teams can turn to the likes of Omastar, Smeargle, and Crustle for early-game Stealth Rock support, and while more balanced teams can find Golurk, Rhydon, and Druddigon to be effective. Mesprit is perhaps the most notable Stealth Rock user for its ability to get Emboar in safely with U-turn, (AC) as it commonly draws out the likes of Steelix and Absol for Emboar to handle more easily. Emboar struggles with Uxie and Mesprit as it can't immediately overwhelm them and it cannot nor can it outspeed them. For this reason, Escavalier makes for a fine partner; (change to semicolon) Nnot only can it trap these Psychic-types with Pursuit, but it can also run Sleep Talk so Emboar doesn't have to worry about having to use it. Gallade is a great offensive partner for this set as Emboar can lure in and 2HKO Slowking, one of Gallade's checks. If Emboar decides to use a Life Orb, then Rapid Spin support from Kabutops can be a worthy investment addition/idk but "investment" makes no sense. to ensure Emboar doesn't wear down too quickly. Because this Emboar is able to handle most physical walls in RU, fast physical attackers are great teammates to take advantage of the holes it punches into the opposing team. With Steelix and Rhydon out of the way, Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary will have few problems with going on a late-game sweep. If Emboar is able to successfully eliminate Tangrowth, then Rock Polish Torterra becomes a very terrifying foe to face, while a fallen Qwilfish or Poliwrath will make Durant's life much easier. Fast special attackers can also be effective; (change to semicolon) Sceptile, Galvantula, Choice Scarf Rotom-C, and Shell Smash Omastar all appreciate special walls being weakened or outright KOed.</p>

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi, GP Check! It was a fantastic amcheck, but imma address some other changes as well.

Additions / Changes
Removes
Comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Emboar is most commonly seen using its incredible Attack stat and with its high Base Power physical attacks, one you (One is kinda semi-formal, and it doesn't really fit an analysis, so don't rely on using it.) shouldn't forget that Emboar has a solid Special Attack stat with some great special attacks as well. This set aims to use Emboar's often overlooked Special Attack stat to catch some conventional responses counters to Emboar off guard, (RC) without giving up Emboar's ability to check the likes of Escavalier and Absol.</p>

<p>Fire Blast lets Emboar beat Steelix, Tangrowth, and even Qwilfish without taking recoil damage, as they are all are either OHKOed or 2HKOed. Stealth Rock support is needed to 2HKO Qwilfish, however. Superpower hits Pokemon such as Entei and opposing Emboar hard and is also Emboar's best bet against incoming Lanturn. The stat drops aren't nearly as detrimental to this set due to its Emboar's larger reliance on special attacks. Grass Knot deals with the physical walls that Fire Blast cannot; Poliwrath, Rhydon, and Alomomola are all hit incredibly hard while defensive Slowking is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. The last slot either reinforces Emboar's coverage or gives it some added utility. Wild Charge is generally preferred for the more consistent hit on Slowking and Qwilfish; although, (AC) but Emboar will need Stealth Rock support in order to 2HKO Slowking;. and It also gives Emboar a move way to catch KO / weaken / whatever the circumstance may be Moltres on the switch with, as it walls this set otherwise. Sleep Talk is a viable option as well, as Emboar matches up well against most sleep inducers in the tier. However, do note that Emboar lacks the Speed and bulk that its other sets have, which can sometimes hurt it when trying to absorb sleep and still defeat its inducer.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The nature and EV spread aim to get the most out of Emboar's solid Special Attack stat. 184 Speed EVs are required to outspeed defensive Qwilfish and ensure Emboar can land two hits on it before being hit with a possible Waterfall. The remaining EVs go into Attack to pump up Superpower and Wild Charge. A Rash nature is used so Emboar's physical bulk isn't comprimised, thus allowing it to still deal with Escavalier and Spiritomb relatively well. Expert Belt is the recommended hold item for mixed Emboar, as it has great super effective coverage and is able to bluff a Choice item very well. For example, it can predict a Slowking switch-in with Wild Charge and then surprise an incoming Pokemon with an Electric-type immunity, such as Rhydon or Manectric, with the appropriate move. However, Life Orb is a possibility for a more consistent power boost. Be sure to watch Wild Charge usage with Life Orb though, as the combined recoil will quickly take its toll on Emboar if one isn't careful it's used to excess. Hidden Power Ice is the most notable other option to consider for this set, as it can handle Druddigon. Hidden Power Electric can be used if you desire an OHKO on Qwilfish after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. Finally, Earthquake is able to 2HKO Lanturn. However, Superpower will generally handle it well enough over time anyway due to Lanturn's lack of reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Like with any other offensive Pokemon, Emboar appreciates Stealth Rock support to turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs. With Stealth Rock support, Emboar is able to 2HKO Qwilfish with Fire Blast and 2HKO Slowking with Wild Charge. Offensive teams can turn to the likes of Omastar, Smeargle, and Crustle for early-game Stealth Rock support, while and more balanced teams can find Golurk, Rhydon, and Druddigon to be effective. Mesprit is perhaps the most notable Stealth Rock user for due to its ability to get Emboar in safely with U-turn, as it commonly draws out the likes of Steelix and Absol for Emboar to handle. Emboar struggles with Uxie and Mesprit, (AC) as it can't immediately overwhelm them nor can it outspeed them. For this reason, Escavalier makes for a fine partner; not only can it trap these Psychic-types with Pursuit, but it can also run Sleep Talk so Emboar doesn't have to worry about having to use it. Gallade is a great offensive partner for this set as Emboar can lure in and 2HKO Slowking, one of Gallade's most prominent checks. If Emboar decides to use a Life Orb, then Rapid Spin support from Kabutops can be a worthy addition to ensure Emboar doesn't wear down too quickly. Because this Emboar is able to handle most physical walls in RU, fast physical attackers are great teammates to take advantage of the holes it punches into the opposing team. With Steelix and Rhydon out of the way, Swellow and Choice Scarf Braviary will have few problems with going on a late-game sweep. If Emboar is able to successfully eliminate Tangrowth, then Rock Polish Torterra becomes a very terrifying foe to face, while a fallen Qwilfish or Poliwrath will make Durant's life much easier. Fast special attackers can also be effective; Sceptile, Galvantula, Choice Scarf Rotom-C, and Shell Smash Omastar all appreciate special walls being weakened or outright KOed.</p>

2/2 This is basically a stamp for the amcheck :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)